January Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mink_deville
    mink_deville Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's odd should say 47 miles. Anywho that's that :)
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    DATE...................... MILES...............TOTAL
    1/4...........................11.25...............11.25
    1/6.............................6.25...............17.50
    1/7.............................6.00...............23.50 (Cold one... -7F windchill)
    1/8.............................7.00...............30.50 (Colder one... -17F windchill)
    1/10...........................5.00...............35.50 (Even colder... -2F, -19F windchill)
    1/11...........................5.00...............40.50
    1/13...........................7.00...............47.50 (10F, 0F windchill)
    1/15.........................10.00...............57.50 (9F, 4F windchill)
    1/16...........................6.00...............63.50

exercise.png
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was an "I just don't feel like it" kind of day, but I did get a short 3 miler in. It was cold and rainy...and about a mile in I suddenly had to poop. So...I cut my planned 4+ mile run a little short. I'm still surprised at how much influence bathroom needs have on running. I can't count the times I've had to pee in the woods, but I draw the line at #2.

I usually end my runs at the gym, so I made up for the lost distance with an extra-long cruise on the stationary bike...AFTER taking care of necessary business of course.

01/01/2015 - 5.02 Miles - Cumulative 5.02 Miles
    01/04/2015 - 6.53 Miles - Cumulative 11.55 Miles
    01/06/2015 - 6.70 Miles - Cumulative 18.25 Miles
    01/08/2015 - 4.50 Miles - Cumulative 22.75 Miles (Brrrrr...it was cold!)
    01/11/2015 - 7.35 Miles - Cumulative 30.10 Miles (Big dog scared the crap out of me)
    01/13/2015 - 7.55 Miles - Cumulative 37.65 Miles (New route with actual hills)
    01/16/2015 - 3.26 Miles - Cumulative 40.91 Miles

GOAL: 75 Miles

exercise.png
  • Jazzysoul
    Jazzysoul Posts: 37 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm just starting out after a 6 month hiatus. I'm getting warmed up. All runs done on treadmill. I'm not tough enough to run in Michigan's brutal winter temperatures.

Jan 13th - 2 miles
    Jan 15th - 3.2 miles

My ticker isn't cooperating :( . It should read 5.2 miles done; 19.8 to go.

exercise.png
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    Yesterday was an "I just don't feel like it" kind of day, but I did get a short 3 miler in. It was cold and rainy...and about a mile in I suddenly had to poop. So...I cut my planned 4+ mile run a little short. I'm still surprised at how much influence bathroom needs have on running. I can't count the times I've had to pee in the woods, but I draw the line at #2.
    As someone who spends a fair amount of time in the woods thank you for this :blush: I'll never get used to running around a bend only to encounter some man relieving himself. :astonished: Please, 10ft off the trail folks.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options

I'm glad I'm not alone in this! :p

I actually plan a great deal of my routes as circuits around blocks with stores with public restrooms on the corner. This way I only have a mile or two max between areas I can make a stop at. Of course, for trail runs that is not an option.

My biggest fear is a race with insufficient restrooms along the route. Hasn't happened yet. Yet being the key word...
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    lmarshel wrote: »

exercise.png

Had to go out of town unexpectedly for a family emergency, but I managed one run during my time there. There's a lake in a beautiful park in my hometown, so I drove down and ran there. Had the whole place to myself in the morning...just me and the ducks, swans and geese. :smile:

That sounds lovely and restorative. Hope the family is okay.

Thanks so much :smile: It was the perfect break from the hospital room.

Back in the desert now and (hopefully) regular schedule.

exercise.png

Yay! Almost halfway there! :smiley:
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »

I actually plan a great deal of my routes as circuits around blocks with stores with public restrooms on the corner. This way I only have a mile or two max between areas I can make a stop at. Of course, for trail runs that is not an option.

My biggest fear is a race with insufficient restrooms along the route. Hasn't happened yet. Yet being the key word...

One of the worst feelings in the world is being at the turn-around point in the run and having the "urge". But that really builds the glutes, huh?

• briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ran 3 miles in the am yesterday and then ended up running 4 more in the evening with my mom. Brings me to 70.5miles for the month (100 mi goal)

And I agree with all the bathroom talk! I know where every public bathroom is around my town (and the hours they are open). :p
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    1 Jan - 6mi, easy
    2 Jan - 6.2mi, easy
    3 Jan - 10mi trail
    4 Jan - 7mi trail w/girl
    5 Jan - 8.1mi, easy
    6 Jan - 8mi, easy, snow!
    7 Jan - 6mi, easy, -10°, +4mi w/girl
    8 Jan - 7mi, 6x Yasso 800s @6:40, treddy
    9 Jan - 10mi, easy, treddy
    10 Jan - 6mi trail race, 2mi cooldown, 6th overall, 2nd AG
    11 Jan - 3.7mi easy w/girl
    12 Jan - 8mi easy, treddy
    13 Jan - 8.2mi, easy
    14 Jan - 8mi, easy
    15 Jan - 7.5mi, intervals
    16 Jan - 9.1mi, easy

Total: 124.7mi
    Goal: 230mi

Current Streak:
    70 days (570mi)

• SLHysell
    Options
    fabnine wrote: »
    As someone who spends a fair amount of time in the woods thank you for this :blush: I'll never get used to running around a bend only to encounter some man relieving himself. :astonished: Please, 10ft off the trail folks.

10ft off-trail is a minimum! And work fast too:)
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    1.51 miles and strength training today. It was so nice to run outside again.

exercise.png
  • SLHysell
    Options
    lmarshel wrote: »
    grimmeanor wrote: »

One of the worst feelings in the world is being at the turn-around point in the run and having the "urge". But that really builds the glutes, huh?

@grimmeanor: I guess there is a reason the lines at the portapotties are always long immediately prior to a race.

@Imarshel
    Build the glutes and run faster.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not going to get the 60 I planned for. But was able to start running again this week and get 12 miles in. So far no pain and I'll slowly ramp things up.

I also took advantage of the free 'running form' clinic at the store. Seeing myself run on video was eye opening. Ugh. Textbook classic locked knee/heel striking. We learned a lot about proper cadence, posture, and taking steps under our body instead of reaching out....looked easy, but am having a hard time implementing it.

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

exercise.png

closer than I thought I'd be by mid-month - got a slow start! :)
  • defenserests82
    defenserests82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had to edit my goal... I'm going to re-commit this weekend!

exercise.png
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »
    I'm definitely not going to get the 60 I planned for. But was able to start running again this week and get 12 miles in. So far no pain and I'll slowly ramp things up.

I also took advantage of the free 'running form' clinic at the store. Seeing myself run on video was eye opening. Ugh. Textbook classic locked knee/heel striking. We learned a lot about proper cadence, posture, and taking steps under our body instead of reaching out....looked easy, but am having a hard time implementing it.
    Take off your shoes and run barefoot. I guarantee you will not heel strike. Your body will force you to do a forefoot strike. This is only time I will suggest the use of a treadmill.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I still have to concentrate at the beginning of each run to remember to forefoot strike. It's silly because once I'm going I don't even think about it, just takes a few minutes to find my stride each day. Once I'm in that zone though everything's aligned and smooth & I could run forever.

_Date___ Miles
    Jan 1 ___5.7 __lovely first run of the new year
    Jan 2 ___7.1 __trail, light flurries
    Jan 3 ___4.7
    Jan 4 ___1.3 __streak
    Jan 5 ___7.2 __hills, 19F windy
    Jan 6 ___3.6 __14F windy & snowing
    Jan 7 ___2.1 __14F windy & snowing + hike up Bald Mountain/around Willard Lake
    Jan 8 ___4.0 __13F windy but no snow :)
    Jan 9 ___3.5
    Jan 10 __3.5
    Jan 11 __12.8 _14F trail
    Jan 12 __5.9 __after all those cold days 34F felt warm & Happy Birthday Mom!
    Jan 13 __3.5 __7F
    Jan 14 __2.0 __snow flurries + a little hike up Uncanoonuc
    Jan 15 __14.9 _trails 22F snow flurries
    Jan 16 __3.6 __WINDY, I'm not built to fight 30-35mph winds.

Month total= 85.6miles ___ 54.4remaining

exercise.png

Current Streak: 145days = 950.2miles

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Take off your shoes and run barefoot. I guarantee you will not heel strike. Your body will force you to do a forefoot strike. This is only time I will suggest the use of a treadmill.

Funny you mention that! At the beginning of the class they filmed everyone running with shoes and without shoes.

At the end they showed where everyone one of us who were heel strikers, used our forefoot or midfoot when we were barefoot.

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Declaring 65 for January.

Date.............Run.............Total..........Remaining....Pace
    01JAN15 – 03.08 miles/03.08 miles/61.92 miles/11:13
    03JAN15 – 06.02 miles/09.10 miles/55.90 miles/10:45
    05JAN15 – 03.04 miles/12.14 miles/52.86 miles/10:23
    06JAN15 – 03.38 miles/15.42 miles/49.48 miles/11:04
    08JAN15 – 01.50 miles/16.92 miles/47.98 miles/10:00 – treadmill… hate them, but it’s too cold to be outside. :(
    09JAN15 – 07:02 miles/23.94 miles/40.96 miles/11:16 – eating greasy popcorn and heading out for a run was an insanely bad idea.
    11JAN15 – 02.36 miles/26.30 miles/38.60 miles/09:47
    13JAN15 – 01.50 miles/27.80 miles/37.10 miles/10:00 treadmill again. Still hate them.
    16JAN15 – 03.84 miles/31.64 miles/34.54 miles/10:32 Been slacking this week. But it’s COLD, darnit!
This discussion has been closed.