Paleo Recipes my kids will eat

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Did all the closed minds of the world fall on this forum today?
    I was asking for recipes, NOT opinions.
    You don't think kids should eat a paleo-styled diet, don't feed YOUR kids a paleo diet. MY children, being as they are mine, however, are still young, impressionable minds and bodies. What do I wish to impress upon them? That a relationship with food can be delicious, hearty, nutritious, and exciting, while also being natural. So effing what if I make their soups with bone broth instead of a box with unnecessary sugars and preservatives? So what if instead of pasta my kids eat squash and zuchinni noodles? How in the world is that making my children suffer? Do you know what ALL of those things are? DELICIOUS. And healthy. And because my children see my healthy relationship with healthy portions of healthy food, they will grow and have a mirror of that. As will their children..
    Do with your kids what you will:)
    Now go away.

so you are going to teach your kids to have an good relationship with food by putting them on a restrictive paleo diet???? How ironic...
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Most of the comments I'm seeing are so judgmental. That's really a shame.Why are people assuming the OP is subjecting the kids to her own "fad diet"? She didn't say why they needed to eat Paleo. Maybe they have a health condition that the paleo diet is therapeutic in healing.
  • buhbyefatso
    Options
    It's not that restrictive. Food is extremely versatile.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    You are all major haters. I want my kids to have a love of vegetables and natural things. That's why. It's not a "diet" it's a lifestyle change.

We're not haters. Just trying to make the point that you can do that without restricting certain foods or food groups.

I think someone should be notifying social services on the OP. I think it's negligent of the OP to be feeding their kids healthy food - I mean these are kids they have a right to choose their own diet.

Who the hell does the OP think they are deciding what food their kids should be eating? What next, they're gonna decide what clothes they can wear. pfft

I was seriously considering getting my son to eat his veg the other day, but in the end couldn't face the shame of feeding him food that has micro nutrients, so I gave him a kinder egg instead - win!

Yet again, another strawman argument... Taking things to extremes to make a point. Not once did any one of us say that she shouldn't feed her kids food with micronutrional value.

Not but most of you are saying she shouldn't have freedom to feed her kids what she wants (based on the fact the food is healthy). I take it your kids choose their own menu each day?

Or do you decide for them?

Any time I've ever baby sat a relative's kid/kids, I'd let them have boxed mac n cheese or chicken nuggets if they wanted it... But that's not to say I didn't give them some broccoli or some other vegetable to go with it.

So you don't have kids or any real experience of bringing kids up on a healthy diet.

Well thank you for your valuable insights and comments on this thread then!

Not having kids of my own doesn't make it inherently invalid.

It kinda does based on your 'apparent' lack of knowledge of feeding kids healthy diets, as well as your lack of experience.

Not quite.
    So, you don't have any opinions on subjects you have no experience in?

Yeah I have opinions - I just don't go onto those thread and vocalize them (but hey, that's just me).

LOL now that is ironic...

You ever seen me on a thread I don't have any experience in - I don't go on the IIFYM threads, or vegan threads!

So ironic? - think not.

Now you having a pop at me about being on threads that I don't have any experience in - that's true irony

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    That's the thing about public forums. Anyone can post. If you didn't want opinions that vary from yours, then this would have been better posted in a paleo group. Those exist on here too.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    You are all major haters. I want my kids to have a love of vegetables and natural things. That's why. It's not a "diet" it's a lifestyle change.

We're not haters. Just trying to make the point that you can do that without restricting certain foods or food groups.

I think someone should be notifying social services on the OP. I think it's negligent of the OP to be feeding their kids healthy food - I mean these are kids they have a right to choose their own diet.

Who the hell does the OP think they are deciding what food their kids should be eating? What next, they're gonna decide what clothes they can wear. pfft

I was seriously considering getting my son to eat his veg the other day, but in the end couldn't face the shame of feeding him food that has micro nutrients, so I gave him a kinder egg instead - win!

Yet again, another strawman argument... Taking things to extremes to make a point. Not once did any one of us say that she shouldn't feed her kids food with micronutrional value.

Not but most of you are saying she shouldn't have freedom to feed her kids what she wants (based on the fact the food is healthy). I take it your kids choose their own menu each day?

Any time I've ever baby sat a relative's kid/kids, I'd let them have boxed mac n cheese or chicken nuggets if they wanted it... But that's not to say I didn't give them some broccoli or some other vegetable to go with it.

So you don't have kids or any real experience of bringing kids up on a healthy diet.

It kinda does based on your 'apparent' lack of knowledge of feeding kids healthy diets, as well as your lack of experience.

Not quite.

Yeah I have opinions - I just don't go onto those thread and vocalize them (but hey, that's just me).

Kinda like you're *not* doing now?

Well I have kids, I have to find healthy diets to feed them. I eat low carb, so no I'm not in a thread I don't have experience in.

• buhbyefatso
    Options
    It's about having a nutritionally sound diet, and there is plenty of variety.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Not quite.

LOL now that is ironic...

You ever seen me on a thread I don't have any experience in - I don't go on the IIFYM threads, or vegan threads!

So ironic? - think not.

Now you having a pop at me about being on threads that I don't have any experience in - that's true irony

awww come on man ...deep breaths..

you give your opinion all the time and now you are getting on others for doing the same = ironic...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Did all the closed minds of the world fall on this forum today?
    I was asking for recipes, NOT opinions.
    You don't think kids should eat a paleo-styled diet, don't feed YOUR kids a paleo diet. MY children, being as they are mine, however, are still young, impressionable minds and bodies. What do I wish to impress upon them? That a relationship with food can be delicious, hearty, nutritious, and exciting, while also being natural. So effing what if I make their soups with bone broth instead of a box with unnecessary sugars and preservatives? So what if instead of pasta my kids eat squash and zuchinni noodles? How in the world is that making my children suffer? Do you know what ALL of those things are? DELICIOUS. And healthy. And because my children see my healthy relationship with healthy portions of healthy food, they will grow and have a mirror of that. As will their children..
    Do with your kids what you will:)
    Now go away.

All parents want their children to be healthy. I too want mine to have a healthy relationship with food. I believe a healthy relationship means knowing that nothing is off limits so that when they are out of my sight, choosing lunch in the cafeteria or going to a friends house after school, or as they get older and drive themselves to restaurants, they have been exposed to a wide variety of choices so that they don't go crazy gorging on potato chips or ice cream or whatever they've never had before because I demonized it in my house and gave them the impression that those foods were somehow "unhealthy", because they are not. If your children eat a wide variety of foods: carbs, protein, fats and get those from things like grains, peanut butter, fruits and vegetables - there is nothing wrong with them having potato chips or ice cream in moderation.

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/dietaryguidelines2010.pdf

I repeat, children need carbs; depending on age, they may also have lower protein and higher fat requirements.
  • buhbyefatso
    Options
    I didn't say I wasn't open to opinions, but I'm pretty sure the majority were more like personal attacks on my parenting choices. Have you read them? I was just pointing out the fact that out of over 100 comments, I've received like 3 posts that were regarding the information I was looking for. The rest were arguments about why I am wrong, or why those who say I'm wrong are wrong. I don't expect the world to agree, duh. But seriously, being attacked for my lifestyle were unnecessary.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Here's one:
    2c. organic grass fed cream
    1/2c. organic small batch New Hampshire Grade B Maple Syrup
    3T. Chia seeds
    Organic small farm orange zest
    3 Omega 3 organic egg yolks

Mix all together, heat gently to 140F in a water bath. Chill to room temp, then put in your ice cream maker.

Top with organic foraged berries.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    skullshank wrote: »
    just tagging so i can giggle later.

oh and is the whole "if you don't have kids, don't respond" thing on the bingo cards? if not, it should be. this isn't the first thread that dopey statement has been made in.

I've found in my experience of 14 years of raising kids and having lived in SoCal, Washington State, Oregon, Mississippi and Maryland that the VAST majority of parents of children are complete and utter fucktards. Not good at parenting really at all. Just having a kid does not make you smart about raising kids. Actually that kind of thinking is embarrassing.

Before you splodey head on me, I'm not a great parent. But what I am is pragmatic and realistic. I try and learn about being the best parent I can be, I never fall for fad parenting *kitten* (even if...actually no especially if I agree with it), and it continues to be the most stressful thing that I deal with on a daily basis. It's hard. And parenting gets a bad rep from people who "think" that because they popped out some womb turd it makes them "smart" about it.

[/rant]

As a parent, I have to agree. Biology alone can make you a parent. Knowledge can make you a great potential parent...
  • buhbyefatso
    Options
    They eat paleo guidelines for dinner, school lunches/breakfasts. They get adequate carbs, calcium, vitamins, and other nutrition. No need to pick apart our lifestyles. I say paleo-ish, because they eat store bought bread on weekends at home. And Pizza Hut.

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Most of the comments I'm seeing are so judgmental. That's really a shame.Why are people assuming the OP is subjecting the kids to her own "fad diet"? She didn't say why they needed to eat Paleo. Maybe they have a health condition that the paleo diet is therapeutic in healing.

Hi OP.

I'm not the OP! I just joined MFP two days ago. This is the first thread I've ever looked at. Don't think I'll be participating much if people are going to be dicks about everything, but I thought I would give a little perspective here.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/dietaryguidelines2010.pdf

I repeat, children need carbs; depending on age, they may also have lower protein and higher fat requirements.

Low carb is not no carb!

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's about having a nutritionally sound diet, and there is plenty of variety.

nothing about paleo is 'variety'

it's one of the most restrictive diet plans out there.

And yes- we are all about variety and 'nutrionally sound'... which means- don't eat according to someone's arbitrary list of foods.

• campbs
    campbs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some of these comments are so strange. I couldn't do the Paleo thing myself but I certainly respect those who can/do. How is it different than the parents who choose to raise their children as vegetarian, gluten-free, etc.? I also disagree with the 'they're not on a diet, you are' sentiment. She's trying to teach her children how to be healthy in the best way she knows how. There's no guide book for parenting, no pamphlet they give out at the doctor's office.

My number one rule at home in regard to dieting is that I must eat the same foods my children do. If I wouldn't eat what I'm feeding them, why am I feeding it to them? If a corn dog and fries isn't good enough, healthy enough, filling enough for me, why is it good enough for the most important people in my life?
This discussion has been closed.