Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    You are all major haters. I want my kids to have a love of vegetables and natural things. That's why. It's not a "diet" it's a lifestyle change.

We're not haters. Just trying to make the point that you can do that without restricting certain foods or food groups.

I think someone should be notifying social services on the OP. I think it's negligent of the OP to be feeding their kids healthy food - I mean these are kids they have a right to choose their own diet.

Who the hell does the OP think they are deciding what food their kids should be eating? What next, they're gonna decide what clothes they can wear. pfft

I was seriously considering getting my son to eat his veg the other day, but in the end couldn't face the shame of feeding him food that has micro nutrients, so I gave him a kinder egg instead - win!

Yet again, another strawman argument... Taking things to extremes to make a point. Not once did any one of us say that she shouldn't feed her kids food with micronutrional value.

Not but most of you are saying she shouldn't have freedom to feed her kids what she wants (based on the fact the food is healthy). I take it your kids choose their own menu each day?

Or do you decide for them?

Any time I've ever baby sat a relative's kid/kids, I'd let them have boxed mac n cheese or chicken nuggets if they wanted it... But that's not to say I didn't give them some broccoli or some other vegetable to go with it.

So you don't have kids or any real experience of bringing kids up on a healthy diet.

Well thank you for your valuable insights and comments on this thread then!

Not having kids of my own doesn't make it inherently invalid.

It kinda does based on your 'apparent' lack of knowledge of feeding kids healthy diets, as well as your lack of experience.

Not quite.
    So, you don't have any opinions on subjects you have no experience in?

Yeah I have opinions - I just don't go onto those thread and vocalize them (but hey, that's just me).

LOL now that is ironic...

You ever seen me on a thread I don't have any experience in - I don't go on the IIFYM threads, or vegan threads!

So ironic? - think not.

Now you having a pop at me about being on threads that I don't have any experience in - that's true irony

awww come on man ...deep breaths..

you give your opinion all the time and now you are getting on others for doing the same = ironic...

You do have a habit of commenting and not reading the context of what you are commenting on.

I have experience in this thread (kids, feeding kids healthy diets, low carb etc.) and on all of the other threads I have quoted - can't say the same for you = ironic.
  • buhbyefatso
    Options
    I let my kids be kids. They go to birthday parties, they stay at friends houses, they have a bag of chips here and there. I'm not a psychotic paleo mom. I'm human. They eat ice cream and have cupcakes on their birthdays. They have dessert on special occasions and rolls and pie at thanksgiving. They just eat what I cook as well. Which happens to be a low carb paleo styled diet. We can eat peanut butter. Idk what makes you think we do not. We eat all natural nut butters. And occasionally they talk me into a Nutella snack pack. I'm not some cruel woman who refuses to feed them a freaking carb. Jeez. You people have no facts and are just twisting my original post into whatever it is your little head decides, and spewing it all over these comments.
    My kids still get to be kids. They just will be healthier, happier kids with more sound bodies.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Most of the comments I'm seeing are so judgmental. That's really a shame.Why are people assuming the OP is subjecting the kids to her own "fad diet"? She didn't say why they needed to eat Paleo. Maybe they have a health condition that the paleo diet is therapeutic in healing.

Hi OP.

I'm not the OP! I just joined MFP two days ago. This is the first thread I've ever looked at. Don't think I'll be participating much if people are going to be dicks about everything, but I thought I would give a little perspective here.

Sweet misandry all across the sky.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You are all major haters. I want my kids to have a love of vegetables and natural things. That's why. It's not a "diet" it's a lifestyle change.

We're not haters. Just trying to make the point that you can do that without restricting certain foods or food groups.

I think someone should be notifying social services on the OP. I think it's negligent of the OP to be feeding their kids healthy food - I mean these are kids they have a right to choose their own diet.

Who the hell does the OP think they are deciding what food their kids should be eating? What next, they're gonna decide what clothes they can wear. pfft

I was seriously considering getting my son to eat his veg the other day, but in the end couldn't face the shame of feeding him food that has micro nutrients, so I gave him a kinder egg instead - win!

Yet again, another strawman argument... Taking things to extremes to make a point. Not once did any one of us say that she shouldn't feed her kids food with micronutrional value.

Not but most of you are saying she shouldn't have freedom to feed her kids what she wants (based on the fact the food is healthy). I take it your kids choose their own menu each day?

Any time I've ever baby sat a relative's kid/kids, I'd let them have boxed mac n cheese or chicken nuggets if they wanted it... But that's not to say I didn't give them some broccoli or some other vegetable to go with it.

So you don't have kids or any real experience of bringing kids up on a healthy diet.

It kinda does based on your 'apparent' lack of knowledge of feeding kids healthy diets, as well as your lack of experience.

Not quite.

Yeah I have opinions - I just don't go onto those thread and vocalize them (but hey, that's just me).

You ever seen me on a thread I don't have any experience in - I don't go on the IIFYM threads, or vegan threads!

So ironic? - think not.

Now you having a pop at me about being on threads that I don't have any experience in - that's true irony

you give your opinion all the time and now you are getting on others for doing the same = ironic...

You do have a habit of commenting and not reading the context of what you are commenting on.

I have experience in this thread (kids, feeding kids healthy diets, low carb etc.) and on all of the other threads I have quoted - can't say the same for you = ironic.

commenting out of context...bahahahahahaha...oh the irony ...

bro, you hardly ever even read anything that you reply to ...

oh man, I am in tears over here I am laughing so hard right now...

wow.....

thanks for the good laugh, I needed that ...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    That's the thing about public forums. Anyone can post. If you didn't want opinions that vary from yours, then this would have been better posted in a paleo group. Those exist on here too.

Oh I know people will post irrelevant comments on these types of threads - it's what draws me in.

I just like to point out the irrelevance.

I also like to see how totally oblivious some people are to it!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    It's about having a nutritionally sound diet, and there is plenty of variety.

Millions of food combinations.

And the best thing of all - no bagels!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    okay, clearly from the responses people have an odd idea what paleo is. If you ever ate a piece of meat with a side of broccoli as a kid, guess what? THAT WAS PALEO. OMG ARE YOU GOING TO RETROACTIVELY DIE AND HAVE A HORRIBLE CHILDHOOD NOW?!?!?!?! No. So calm the eff down.

Google is your friend, OP. There are a TON of great blogs of paleo moms.

I like chicken meatballs and I bet kids would too. Lots of tasty tomato sauce. Tacos in lettuce wraps instead of tortillas are also great. I do them with salsa chicken in the slow cooker but they can be done with any meat or fish really. BBQ pulled chicken or pork stuffed into a sweet potato is tasty as well!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    how about this for a compromise...leave in the pasta and switch the ground beef in the sauce for ground deer meat...I have some if you need it...now that's paleo...nom nom.

so paleolithic people ate pasta?? really??

I have no idea...I have to assume not...but the ground deer meat sure fits the paleo thing...and that's what I meant by "now that's paleo"

paleo people ground up dear meat....hmmm interesting..

I believe they ate it raw after tracking said deer down..

given that early paleolithic people probably did not have advanced hunting tools, they probably found already dead deer and ate that...I doubt there was any grinding up of deer meat involved..

I apparently need to find the "joke" font as someone is taking this way too seriously...

I am with you...paleo is silly. No one knows what they ate really...it's the latest "craze" that doesn't make any sense esp since people ammend it as they see fit. Going so far as to rename it primal to include dairy.

I believe in a well balanced diet of whatever the heck I want to eat which includes deer meat, pizza, chocolate and the occasional bacon double cheese burger from the Mickey D's value menu.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Not quite.

So ironic? - think not.

Thanks for whoever flagged this - I love the warm and fussy feeling I get from seeing a hit on the butthurt button!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I let my kids be kids. They go to birthday parties, they stay at friends houses, they have a bag of chips here and there. I'm not a psychotic paleo mom. I'm human. They eat ice cream and have cupcakes on their birthdays. They have dessert on special occasions and rolls and pie at thanksgiving. They just eat what I cook as well. Which happens to be a low carb paleo styled diet. We can eat peanut butter. Idk what makes you think we do not. We eat all natural nut butters. And occasionally they talk me into a Nutella snack pack. I'm not some cruel woman who refuses to feed them a freaking carb. Jeez. You people have no facts and are just twisting my original post into whatever it is your little head decides, and spewing it all over these comments.
    My kids still get to be kids. They just will be healthier, happier kids with more sound bodies.

Well paleo diets eschew legumes, which peanuts are.

Wishful thinking that somehow a low carb paleo diet causes people to be healthier and happier

On topic though;

Cut potatoes into fries

Triple fry in duck fat

top with braised short ribs and cheese curds
  • dbmata
    Options
    how about this for a compromise...leave in the pasta and switch the ground beef in the sauce for ground deer meat...I have some if you need it...now that's paleo...nom nom.

I have no idea...I have to assume not...but the ground deer meat sure fits the paleo thing...and that's what I meant by "now that's paleo"

given that early paleolithic people probably did not have advanced hunting tools, they probably found already dead deer and ate that...I doubt there was any grinding up of deer meat involved..

I apparently need to find the "joke" font as someone is taking this way too seriously...

I am with you...paleo is silly. No one knows what they ate really...it's the latest "craze" that doesn't make any sense esp since people ammend it as they see fit. Going so far as to rename it primal to include dairy.

I believe in a well balanced diet of whatever the heck I want to eat which includes deer meat, pizza, chocolate and the occasional bacon double cheese burger from the Mickey D's value menu.

A meat grinder is a fairly new invention.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Not quite.

So ironic? - think not.

commenting out of context...bahahahahahaha...oh the irony ...

bro, you hardly ever even read anything that you reply to ...

oh man, I am in tears over here I am laughing so hard right now...

wow.....

thanks for the good laugh, I needed that ...

ikr.

• squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    If it were me, I'd probably just grill meats every day with a side of vegetables, instead of trying to convert everything I love into a "Paleo-friendly" substitute.

this

This is paleo. I'm not sure if the person who wrote it understood that or not (can't tell from context) but this is the essence of paleo and kids will (and do) eat these types of meals all the time.

I like playing around with substitutes for the sake of variety and experimentation, but you can definitely keep it simple.
  • buhbyefatso
    Options
    Healthier=Happier. Healthy body=Healthy Mind. I'm off anti-depressants as a result of diet change. I keep saying paleo styled<- diet. Styled. Styled after the idea of paleo ideals. I don't have it perfectly down, but I'm getting it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

A meat grinder is a fairly new invention.

hence me needing a joke font apparently...

• squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    mrmagee3 wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    jmauerhan wrote: »
    jmauerhan wrote: »
    I'm surprised at some of the responses. The OP didn't say she is trying to put her kids on a "diet", just that she is trying to get them to eat the meals she provides. So she's asking for meals that are kid friendly that fit her diet - diet as in foods one eats, not just attempt to lose weight.

First of all, if you don't have kids, don't even comment here. Cause you don't know what you're talking about.

If you DO, what do you feed them? Cause in our house, we feed our kids what we eat, 90% of the time. Every now and then we let the 3 year old pick his own dinner, and he picks crap. He would eat breakfast cereal and chicken nuggets for every meal if we let him. That is not a good diet for a child.

He doesn't have to eat what he's been given, but that's all there is. If he doesn't want to eat the healthy meal we have prepared, we're not going to get him something that's not healthy just so he will be happy about dinner. Sometimes, he also doesn't want to eat the NOT healthy foods - my kid will whine just as much about a cheese laden pizza as he will about a roasted broccoli. Actually I think it's easier to get him to eat the broccoli. Which makes me so happy because I don't want my kids to have the relationship with food I did. I don't want my kids growing up only liking 4 foods and eating massive amounts of calorie dense foods because they don't know what a vegetable tastes like or when they're full. We also don't want our kids thinking they can whine and cry about what they've been given and get away with it. Dinner has been served, and you will eat a reasonable amount and if you tried it and still hate it, then you can have something else that I chose. (which for our son is usually yogurt or a fruit)

I'm vegetarian, and most vegetarians I know let their kids decide if they want meat (which is the approach we have taken) - but there are parents who feel that it's their choice whether or not their kid is going to eat meat, and that's just as valid a parenting decision as deciding to prohibit them eat junk food or fast food or soda or sugar or dairy.

This is why I asked OP what she feeds her kids if they don't like the paleo dishes she makes. Paleo diet is largely marketed as a weight loss diet, and it is of course, unnecessary just like any other fad diet. It's not exactly comparable to becoming a vegetarian for ethical reasons. So people are commenting on it because quite simply, why would you choose a diet that is obviously making life more difficult for you by forcing your kids to eat it with you? Just eat less food of whatever everybody would normally eat otherwise. It seems like the simplest solution here.

The majority of people I know who do a "Paleo" diet are not doing so to lose weight, but because they think it is the "BEST" way to eat. I have always heard it touted as healthy, with weight loss as a side effect if you're overweight. The people I know who do it swear they just feel better when they don't eat dairy, and I'm sure they do. I think it's a load of crap that it's the "right" way to eat or that it's what our ancestors ate, but if someone has found a subset of food that they feel good eating, that's good for them.

I do agree that the silly rules on things like yogurt vs cheese or sweet potatoes vs potatoes is, well, a load of crap.

The simplest thing is to just stay the same.

In my experience, there is no "yogurt vs cheese." Either you're opposed to both or your opposed to neither (assuming here that we're talking about versions of both without a bunch of additives beyond what's required to make them), as both go through a fermenting process. Usually, that argument either leans toward "no dairy at all," or at least "no casein/whey/lactose" (allowing for ghee or butter), or toward "no dairy unless it's raw/fermented," or toward "some, in moderation, if it doesn't cause you adverse effects."

As for the potatoes vs sweet potatoes, there are two reasons for this:

1. White potatoes are nightshades, so any subset of paleo that avoids nightshades will avoid potatoes for this reason. Sweet potatoes are not nightshades, so they're okay in that regard (though my be restricted for other reasons).
    2. White potatoes, particularly skins and the forms largely considered "healthy," contain a high amount of saponins that are toxic to humans in high concentrations. There's some disagreement on the validity of this as more research is done or found and more information is presented (such as the fact that most domesticated varieties don't contain that much, because the levels are monitored), but Cordain's views and recommendations are still the foundation of modern Paleo proper and therefore guide a lot of people's decisions.

Most of the people who suggest limiting potatoes on the basis of the carbohydrate content also suggest limiting sweet potatoes, and acknowledge that the glycemic load and nutrient density of sweet potatoes is on par with that of white potatoes and the differences on that front are marginal.

In these edge cases, the final verdict basically comes down to you and your family's needs and best judgement based on the information available to you at any given time.

And for people to act like this type of thing is unique to Paleo and that either "you're Paleo or you're not" boggles my mind. Veg*ns have similar decisions. Milk? Eggs? Honey? Fish? The biggest difference in that regard is that the Veg*n crowd has had the time to name the different subsets and make those names well known. If you eat any of those (even if only rarely), you lose your vegan card according to some, but you're still vegetarian (and if you only eat those things rarely, you may still consider yourself at least "mostly vegan"), or you're pescatarian if you eat fish. The modern Paleo way of eating doesn't have that yet. It's got some different names (Paleo -- which is generally Cordain based, Primal, AIP, recon paleolithic, Asprey's Bulletproof Diet), but most things beyond "Paleo" are not well known, so it's easier to just say you do Paleo than trying to explain that you follow one of the variations and then explain (for the umpteenth time) the differences on top of all the other questions you inevitably get.

Is it counterproductive to the perception of the larger Paleo movement as a whole? Perhaps. Most people who follow it prefer to use their own health and successes on it as the necessary evidence for getting the people they know to try it, though. The bickering on here is generally nitpicking over details about which the Paleo community has largely said, "these are the big names that say that's okay and why, these are the big names that say it's not okay and why. Pick a path for yourself and try it and see how it works for you." The "point" of Paleo is the foundation of the way of eating, the focus on quality, nutrient-dense food and avoiding the things considered objectively harmful, and being mindful of where your food comes from and how it gets to you.

That said, yes, most people who actually do Paleo do so for health reasons. Many books market weight loss as part of the hook, but that's marketing. Many vegetarian and vegan books have that as part of their marketing hook, too.

Do some people do either of these to lose weight? Certainly. The ones that start solely to lose weight, thinking of it as a fad diet, usually go in one of two directions -- 1. they're sorely disappointed and move on to something else, because when it comes to weight loss, Paleo/veg*n aren't magically faster than anything else, and can actually be quite a bit slower, since the focus is actually on health, not weight loss; 2. they realize they feel better -- even independent of weight loss -- and stay with it as a lifestyle change.

^ this is my point about "verbal gymnastics"

do you really think that paleolithich people walked around caring about what kind of potato or carb they found? Of course not, that is ridiculous. They were hunter/gathers, more than likely primarily gathers who ate plants, fruits, leaves, grubs, etc...and most of that was consumed raw...

the whole concept of paleo is ridiculous and not even based on how real paleolithic people ate...

Are you just arguing that you don't like the name? If you were to remove the word "paleo" from the diet along with the ancient-man philosophy, it's a pretty flexible dietary style that allows the gamut of low carb to high carb, vegetarian, etc. It ends up just focusing on whole foods and limiting starches and grains.

Doesn't seem too far out there for me if it was called something else.

YEP YEP YEP. God forbid someone minimize grains and dairy. Why do people get so hung up on the name? Its just a marketing ploy. None of the people I know who eat paleo do so because they actually want to replicate living like a cave man. It was this overarching narrative behind the diet, which in actuality is perfectly reasonable and healthy.
  • dbmata
    Options
    what are paleo ideals?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    oh-honey.gif

OP, you might want to dislodge your panties from what I imagine is somewhere around your neck at this point. You post in a forum and you're going to get opinions, end of story.

"I let my kids be kids, I let them have carbs .. but not those devil pasta noodles, that will make them unhealthy!!!"

That's kind of what I'm hearing here.

I think I'll let my kids make their boxed mac and cheese with peas tonight while I make butternut squash soup for myself and DH. See look at that, I'm capable of not forcing my kids to consume something they do not enjoy just because it's in line with my dietary needs. And while my kids eat those horrible carbs and powdered cheese sauce I'll think of you.

This discussion has been closed.