Want to start strength training - absolute beginner

Options

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    I would recommend Stronglift 5x5 or Starting Strength (basically the same programs). The advantage of then is that 1) They have a limited number of exercises that make up the program. 2) The a free weight programs meaning supporting muscles are worked as well. 3) They are compound lifts allowing the working of more of the body in less time. 4) They are designed with built in progression that starts out very light weight to allow development of good form.

Do that program as it is written and you will get stronger very quickly.

I saw that earlier when reading another post and I can honestly say that I am intimidated by that program cause I don't know how to do some of those exercises.

They may look intimidating especially when demonstrated by somebody with a few 45's on there, but they're generally basic to learn. You can find good videos from like Mark Rippletoe (coincidentally wrote Starting Strength), Chad Wesley Smith, Dan Green, the EliteFTS YouTube channel. Ultimately it may not be your cup of tea but in that case consider getting a trainer then. Whatever you do, don't skip lower body training. ;)
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    I would recommend Stronglift 5x5 or Starting Strength (basically the same programs). The advantage of then is that 1) They have a limited number of exercises that make up the program. 2) The a free weight programs meaning supporting muscles are worked as well. 3) They are compound lifts allowing the working of more of the body in less time. 4) They are designed with built in progression that starts out very light weight to allow development of good form.

I saw that earlier when reading another post and I can honestly say that I am intimidated by that program cause I don't know how to do some of those exercises.

They may look intimidating especially when demonstrated by somebody with a few 45's on there, but they're generally basic to learn. You can find good videos from like Mark Rippletoe (coincidentally wrote Starting Strength), Chad Wesley Smith, Dan Green, the EliteFTS YouTube channel. Ultimately it may not be your cup of tea but in that case consider getting a trainer then. Whatever you do, don't skip lower body training. ;)

You can start here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mark+rippetoe+squat

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mark+rippetoe+deadlift

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mark+rippetoe+bench+press

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mark+rippetoe+bench+overhead+press

You can worry about the power clean later after you build up your deadlift with proper form.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I guess I can take a couple of days, go slow and figure out the proper technique before really working the program. Thanks, looks like I have some reading and research to do
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I think strong lifts x5 is a really nice programme to start with and you very quickly start to lift heavily compared to your first starting point. Easy to follow too and get form sorted. Once you have had a taste of this you could then work out your next steps. If a personal trainer is out of the question it might be worth trying a local body pump class too. Though it is more cardio than strength you will learn basic moves and in a good class have your form corrected too
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

Nobody is born intuitively knowing what the lifts are :). Everybody is a beginner at one point. Everyone has to start from scratch. The program is designed to start slow, and feel free to progress slower than SL suggests. The weights build up quickly.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options

None of them are horribly difficult, but if you have never done them, I can see how they might seem so. That is where the Starting Strength book can be helpful. It is also where getting a trainer to help you with form, even if it is just a few sessions, would be a good idea. There are also people who can be very helpful in the weigh room, not to mention youtube which has tutorials on all the exercises.

Look at it this way, 5x5 uses Squats, Bench Presses, Overhead Presses, Bent-over Rows, and Deadlifts. That is only 5 weight movements to learn and you have all you need to gain lots of strength. I wish it was around when I was young and spent hours in the gym wasting my time with isolation movements. I would have made much more progress with 5x5.
  • donutlifter107
    Options
    Another vote for starting strength/stronglifts here as a starting point. Watch a lot of videos, start light, ask for help. Look, the very first time I tried lifting weights, I didn't understand the use of clips and I was surrounded by 100% college gym bros and it was just the worst. I had to ask someone for help at first. But you get through that and you start developing great technique. The gains will follow. You can do it!!!!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    He probably isn't too concerned about his bikini body ;)
  • Robbnva
    edited January 2015
    Options

Nobody is born intuitively knowing what the lifts are :). Everybody is a beginner at one point. Everyone has to start from scratch. The program is designed to start slow, and feel free to progress slower than SL suggests. The weights build up quickly.

Yeah I realize that. It would be easier if I had a friend who lifts, I'll figure it out.
  • larsencj
    Options
    I know this can be a heated topic especially when trying to gain...but a good crossfit or hiit routine....either with weights or body weight will guarantee strength gains. Start with a tabata routine...20 seconds of exercise...10 seconds rest...8 exercises...8 rounds...push-ups, squats, pull-ups, crunches, single arm clean and press, dips, jumping jacks, lunges....or whatever exercises you want to do...
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    larsencj wrote: »
    I know this can be a heated topic especially when trying to gain...but a good crossfit or hiit routine....either with weights or body weight will guarantee strength gains. Start with a tabata routine...20 seconds of exercise...10 seconds rest...8 exercises...8 rounds...push-ups, squats, pull-ups, crunches, single arm clean and press, dips, jumping jacks, lunges....or whatever exercises you want to do...

If you're a beginner you can get strength gains from doing about anything. I respect CrossFit but generally speaking CrossFit is very poor for strength development because the programming for strength is not good. Something like Starting Strength, StrongLifts, 5/3/1 would be much better for strength improvement.
  • Slyf8787
    Slyf8787 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    what youtube videos or series of videos do you recommend? What did your beginning workout routine look like?

Check out bodybuilding.com for a whole load of exercises you can do :)
  • Robbnva
    Options
    So talking to a guy I know he said stronglifts 5 thing will most likely get me injured cause I'm a beginner, he also said things like deadlifts aren't really necessary. I don't know who to trust
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

So talking to a guy I know he said stronglifts 5 thing will most likely get me injured cause I'm a beginner, he also said things like deadlifts aren't really necessary. I don't know who to trust

That guy? Nuts.

You don't get much more beginner than me. I'm a small framed wee weakling of a middle aged lady person. I started right off with deadlifts. They are my favorite. I trust no one who tells me no deadlifts, LOL.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

I'm still a beginner, if done with proper form you should not get hurt. That's why it critical to focus on form and not how heavy you're lifting.

Is this guy a lifter? When you research beginner's lifters program you will see that squat and deadlifts are common in many of them.

• ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I picked up a TRX knockoff called WOSS. It's a suspension trainer that uses your own body weight. They are used in the military because of how portable they are and easy to set up. I have mine set up on a punching bag hook in my basement and you can do a full body routine pretty quickly. You don't need any extra weights. You just adjust the angle of your body to make it more intense. You can pick up the WOSS version for $30 on Amazon vs the $200 TRX version. They are both pretty much identical.

http://www.amazon.com/WOSS-Military-Trainer-Built-In-Anchor/dp/B00HHZRA0E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421542747&sr=8-4&keywords=woss+trainer
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options

Really, a program designed for beginners which Stronglifts is, will get you injured. You realize you start with and empty bar right. Perhaps your friend doesn't realize that. The point of Stronglifts is start really lights, so that as you increase weight using the progression in the program you will first develop form, then the weight will increase. That is what beginners should be doing. As I stated earlier it is only a handfull of exercises. As for deadlifts they are not done 5x5 they are done 1x5 one workout a week IIRC. Your friend does not know what they are talking about as testified to by a bunch of ladies here who were rank beginners and thought lifting heavy was the pink 2 pound dumbbells that weighed less than their purse who started it and have made amazing gains with no injury.

Just so you know I lifted weights from the time I was about 15 to my late 20s. I wish I had known of a program like this. Instead I wasted my time with a bunch of isolation moves and weird split programs based on the workouts of bodybuilders who all used steroids even though they denied it. I never made the sort of gains I have using a Stronglifts approach now that I have started again. Learn the form correctly, ask for help or pay for a trainer to do so, and you face no greater threat of injury than any exercise brings.

What is your friend suggesting as an alternative?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    I've seen somebody get hurt doing leg curls, *kitten* happens sometimes. Your friend might be touching on the fact, if he's an experienced trainer / or PT, that after a functional movement assessment it might not be appropriate for some to squat and do compounds right away, maybe.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    So read the stronglift page, watched the videos, downloaded the app even. I think I'll.give it a shot but now I'm confused what to do on my off days. I normally jog 3x a week and they say don't do anything on your off days, I do some sort of physical activity everyday so I'm not sure what to do