WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    Jane good to see you again. By the bold title at the top of the page is an outline of a star click on that it turns yellow. Next time you go to community click on the gray star ion the upper right hand corner. It may take a few seconds for us to pop up. Here we are. I always have to remind myself to do this for the new month.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    Linda so sorry about your friend. :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Jane - you have to press the star at the top right of the thread to bookmark. Then after that you press the star in the row at the top right - it takes a while to respond - patience! Good to see you back. :flowerforyou:

Katla - you are doing so well at reinventing your exercising! :flowerforyou: Sounds as if you have an excellent teacher.
    DH came back happy as his team had won 5 - 0 ! ! ! !

Today was the first day I haven't typed in 14 days. I watched my film 112 Weddings - very good - and then started reading my Sri Lanka guide book and checking the hotels on trip advisor. Nice swimming pools! ! ! ! There seems to be a bit of a problem with the dining experience, so we will have to adjust when we get there. I don't like buffets because I don't want to stuff myself, so it's not good value. Fine dining is too expensive, although I could just have starters. We like to eat in town if we are anywhere near, but often we aren't. More authentic and much cheaper. We have sometimes ended up getting one room service dish between the two of us as they always are large. We like to go out and buy our own drinks, water and snacks to have in the room. I always secrete some of the breakfast buffet in my handbag for lunch. :bigsmile;: Call us mean, but we feel we have paid a lot for the holiday and don't want to have more big bills. (We are on a b&b basis) Especially when we are in a country where the local food is cheap and good. So we are staying in 4 star hotels where the travel company put us and don't want to pay their food prices. :laugh: Usually we are clanking across the lobby with our bottles of beer and water we have bought in town feeling very embarrassed. :embarassed: I haven't been on one of these exotic holidays since I lost weight, so won't be able to fill myself up with crisps and nuts like I used to.
    It's not that we can't afford it, but we just don't like being ripped off. No mini bars for us!

Anyway, I'm enjoying doing my research. It all sounds wonderful. :bigsmile: The company really looks after us and we have always loved our experience. Just hope it isn't snowing over here on our departure date. Things tend to grind to a halt.

The latest pic from DDIL. She calks it a new game. I think they are hiding in DS' S wardrobe. Check out the shoe boxes! ! ! ! ! ! ! Think you might have to click on the tiny pic.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Lin C., sorry for the loss of your friend. Sounds like you are being a big help to the family and I know they appreciate it.

Warm here today (finally)! Almost feels like Spring is around the corner, but, that is 2 or 3 months away.

Heather in UK. I wouldn't feel bad a bit about buying my own snacks and drinks. We are very tight with our money and would do the same thing.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for Caring. I'm doing fine today. Have to remember part of living is dying. I'm pretty good with that.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    stats for the day - forgot my heart rate monitor :0(
    - jog- 36.46min, 9.11ap, 6.4-7.1sp, 4mi - 400cal
    - rowing machine- 30min, 142aw, 6684meters - 200cal
    no hrm :0(, estimate 600cal
  • pipcd34
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Going to the deep water class today. The plan for tomorrow is to do some more of the Butt Bible DVD

pipcd - on the elliptical, what does 10-3/10-10 stand for? I usually exercise when I'm not feeling well, too. Not real intense. But I need to get something in, maybe I'm so afraid of getting out of the habit of exercise or using "not feeling well" as an excuse. Do you do something special when you burn 1000 calories? If so, what -- I'd LOVE to burn that much. How do you know your calorie burn when you exercise? Do you have a certain piece of equipment that you use?

exermom- when i am sick, or not at 100%, the elliptical machine is my "cheat/easy" exercise. 10 is the incline of the machine and 3-10 is the level of resistance, i may have started at 3 but went up to 10 resistance. i just don't feel right if i don't go workout, even if i'm sick. i basically have to be at death's door not to go. i know you shouldn't and you have to let your body heal, which is why i do what i call "easier" workouts. i use a heart rate monitor that tells me my calorie burn. i don't use or go by what the machines say because those are just estimates. there are times when i'm on a machine and it will say that i burned twice as much as i actually did, so a hrm is the best way for me to go. i also know my resting heart rate (50) so from that i was able to calculate what my hr should be to burn fat, the target rate and the burst rate which is the cardio rate. the highest i've seen my heart rate was 202. it couldn't have been for that long, it was when i was riding up a steep hill. i am glad my heart rate goes down real fast, i'm glad i'm able to recover quickly. when i burn 1000 or over, i am probably doing a long run and other stuff, or a longer workout in general. there's going to be a day where i might have to ride to the gym, then to the dentist then to work, that there will probably be over 1000 calories.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sunday and mt Rest, Re-feed and Walk the dog day. We go for a drive out.
    My food cals today are 1734 (includes 5 chocs tonight -weekend treat)

Brian told me: Never do cardio on empty stomach have toast and banana and tea before morning walk, cut down on sugar, eat as close to 1700 calories and do NOT eat back excercise calories unless foo - exercise goes below 1200 and then have some protein, always have lunch even when on drive out on Sundays.
    He said once my body starts burning FAT it knows how to do it

I did Wii Gold's boxing yesterday due to rain, going to do that on Wednesdays and Saturdays now. Started back adding Bob Harper DVDs for weights

I have decided to buy a FitBit Charge HRM, I have a FitBit Flex that I love

Lesley in Tasmania
  • ohmygosh33
    ohmygosh33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new here so I am just sitting in the background getting familiar with this site. You guys give some good advice. I have already gotten some valuable information. My name is Linda and I am 63 years old and need to lose 25 pounds. This is the hardest thing I have ever done.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. It’s a nasty windy, sprinkly kind of day here. Hubby and I ran some errands and boy was my knee hurting and oh boy what I witch I was. Good think hubby’s the best and very understanding. We were supposed to go over to our friend’s for dinner; she had her knee replaced recently and invited us under the influence of drugs. It was a hilarious phone call. Good thing I called; I wanted to make sure she was up to having us even though I said I’d cook….she had no idea.

Kim: great nsv! Your online site sounds fascinating!

Michele: so sorry that Diana (or Brian) can’t send you a thank you note for your generosity. I’m not sure when the surgery will be; I have to make an appointment. I just can’t get my head around it it’ so much better than it was, but I’m afraid to do water aerobics in case I can’t get out of the pool…as in I can’t put weight on it again. And I am the only person at the college who can do my March-April clinical, so it has to be before that because if it went south again, it would be a disaster.

Sharon good for hubby to go to the Y with you!

Alison: I think working at a bird store would be wonderful but I think my entire paycheck would end up staying there! Good luck!

Heather: I like the idea of adding spinach to turkey burgers. I’ll have to try it!

Cynthia: I’m looking at an arthroscopy, just to fix the torn meniscus. I had no idea I had arthritis so nothing to be done about that.

Gail: I must have missed something; why are you going on a medical leave?

Rori: I must have missed your celebrations too so happy belated birthday and anniversary!

Katla: those sore muscles are a good sign! Thanks for the encouraging words. I’m glad I’m not needing a knee replacement, but even this small surgery is a blow to me….I promised myself once ….NO surgeries. No body parts removed. No body parts replaced. No body parts altered. Harrumph! I keep telling myself even teenaged athletes have this done so it can’t be all that bad. Your riding sounds wonderful.

Jane: hi there! I’m glad to see you. You can bookmark the thread (I think) by clicking on the little icon besides it, but you still have to go to fitness/ motivation to find us.

Sue wow golf at this time of year!

Linda; I am so sorry about your friend. What a generous thing to send all that food. I’m sending you (((hugs))) Rant all you want.

Heather: is all the research for your Sri Lanka trip? I’m with you about not wanting to feel ripped off with things like mini bars. We often buy snacks and drinks too. I had to laugh because I could actually hear your bottles clinking! Great pic! Thanks for sharing.

Well DH ran out to a new movie rental place to check it out and see what they have. I think he wanted to get away from me LOL. I have roasted some marrow bones for a wonderful Italian barley soup from an old Frugal Gourmet cookbook for tomorrow’s dinner. I’ll make the stock tonight and put it in the oven overnight, then make the actual soup tomorrow. Usually it’s a three day process, but DH did the shopping just yesterday. Boy shopping on a Friday evening sure opened his eyes LOL. You all take care, meg (trying to be grateful and nice) in dreary cold Omaha!

PS welcome newbies!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    ohmygosh33 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am new here so I am just sitting in the background getting familiar with this site. You guys give some good advice. I have already gotten some valuable information. My name is Linda and I am 63 years old and need to lose 25 pounds. This is the hardest thing I have ever done.
    smiley-happy110.gifLinda, welcome, I found MFP when I was 62 and on day 1 I made a plan of what I was going to eat and logged it in my food diary then stayed with the plan all day even when someone offered me a food treat that they had bought for me. I have been making small healthy changes every since and most of what I've learned came from this thread.
    <3 Barbie

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    went to 99 restaurant had a childrens cheeseburger and carrots..
    there is a show on HGTV that I adore called fixer upper.. the couple is soooo cute.. and they refab houses..
    Tom and I are hitting Sams club tomorrow and then it is a cooking day for me...
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat!!
    Been trying to catch up.changed my ticker to show the gain from the holidays.Slow and steady I`ll get there.
    Got a call from MIL,hubby`s uncle died last night.looks like another wake and funeral this week.
    Hugs jane
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Quick hello-
    Did some training at work today. Tired!
    Welcome newbies - you're in a great group here!
    Michele - you can't taste the tomato in the chocolate cake. I don't know about other flavors.
    Linda - so sorry for the loss of your friend - ((((hugs))))
    Meg - take care of that knee
    Katla - bareback, handsfree trot - WTG
    Heather - DARLING picture of your DGC

Have a blessed evening everyone.
    Toni in Sunny and Warmer TN
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you all -- I found the star, so now have the thread bookmarked. This is Day 2 of logging again. Day 1 was a definite eye-opener of why I need to be logging. Today was better, although I did have cake for my father's 86th birthday. It was duly logged, though!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Viv – a garden centre that sells cakes? Wow wish ours did…. For a while they sold coffee, but no longer… I loved getting a coffee and wandering around… now I bring mine.

Alison – sending good thoughts for your interview.

Cynthia – glad to see you posting, hope it means you are feeling more yourself.

Gail – Ok I must be out to lunch but what surgery????????????? Take care hope it goes well!

Belinda – welcome!!! There are a few cooks here… and Heather found and shared skinnytaste.com and it has become a favorite resource.

Lorielliott, Michele-AZ, Linda (ohmygosh33)– welcome

Katla - I bet all the balance work on the horse is really building core muscles… I only ride when I feel obligated by the desires of my niece and then I just hold on with all my might and relax later with a glass of wine!

Jane – yes, when you find the topic, at the top of the list of posts is a grey star, click on it it will turn yellow and then it is book marked.

Linda – this is the place to rant, we read, we understand, we love you just the same!!!
    I am so sorry to hear about your friend… ((((((hug))))))))

Heather - Love the pic!!!! And I am very careful about my food budget when traveling also! No mini bar, I tend to pack in my luggage my wine LOL – do you have to be careful about the quality of the water in SriLanka?

Meg – take care, the surgery is not bad if it can be arthroscopy - just remember it is better than what you are currently going through!!!

Jane – So sad to hear about your hubbies uncle… it is so hard when they are one after another!!!

January goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Do a fun thing every week.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • pipcd34
    Options
    janehadji wrote: »
    Thank you all -- I found the star, so now have the thread bookmarked. This is Day 2 of logging again. Day 1 was a definite eye-opener of why I need to be logging. Today was better, although I did have cake for my father's 86th birthday. It was duly logged, though!

keep it up, it'll get easier as time goes on. the drag is when you first start but when you remember meals they are already in there... i hated the having to weigh everything... but it does work... don't stop
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did 70 minutes of "The Butt Bible" DVD. Tomorrow's plan is to do another segment of the 30 Day Butt Lift

Alison - Even if the nusing home doesn't provide a mask, it would be worth it for you to buy one. I know Vince got one a while ago to wear when he cut the grass. You would feel horrible (and probably never forgive yourself) if you got FIL sick

I just got a nice surprise call from the lady who took care of my father shortly before he passed away. It's been around 10 years since she's been in the US, but we still keep in touch. Wish I could understand her more, tho

Gail
    - I'll be thinking of you Monday. Best for the surgery

Belinda
    - welcome. I do hope you come back often. I'm always on the lookout for new ideas and recipes, too.

lorielliott
    - welcome. Most gyms have some sort of "member initiation" where they show you how to use the machines, etc. Maybe you'd want to look into it to see if that's a possibility? Once you go to the gym frequently, you'll make friends and before you know it, you'll be WANTING to go

Katla - I find that I'm viewing food differently now too. My first thought seems to be "what is this going to do for my body" followed by "are the calories worth it?". You know what I do when buying clothing as a gift for me from Vince? I go to the store, try it on, buy it, then give it to Vince to give to me. Hey, at least I know I like it and don't have to return it. If you have to return it, many times you need a different size and by the time you get the gift and return it, they don't have that size any more. Bolding things: I tried the "control" and highlighting just the person's name. But when I went to "control" the next name, the entire paragraph to the previous person was bolded. Not a good thing. I do like when the names are bolded, tho. So glad you had such a good yoga class and I'm impressed with your horseback riding.

Michele from AZ
    - welcome! ANOTHER Michele who spells her name with only one "l". Kewl!

Alison - what's the story with your parents? So many times you talk about FIL but never mention your parents. Are they no longer with us

Went to PetSmart to get more canned food for the cats mainly because it was on sale until, I think, Sun or Monday. Then went to Aldi, I actually got Vince to go with me. Fortunately, I didn't get much. If I ever let him loose in that store! He kept eying the cakes and brownies. I'd prefer to make my own.

I will be so so glad when this nominating committee stuff is over. I called one guy, he's thinking about the vicepresident position. It's amazing, a really simple job and no one wants to do it. I'm just afraid that he might say "yes" only because it was me who asked him. I don't want him to feel that he has to do something just for me. Really, I sort-of am concerned if he'd be a good fit for the vice president. but then again, no one else seems to want it. I don't mind coordinating the magic show stuff, but this is NOT my strong point. Note to self: never volunteer for this again.

Lin - Juls sounds like a wonderful friend. So glad you have her. Rant any time at all

pipcd - I never go by the calorie burn on the machines, either. I've found that it will tell you how many calories you burn at a constant pace. Now there are times when I'm sprinting and I KNOW that I'm burning more calories than the machine says that I burned. So I never even look at that number. My heartrate goes down really fast, too. One time a few years ago I had to go for a stress test and the nurse was amazed at how fast my heartrate came down!

Linda - welcome. Keep coming back for lots of good information

Meg - Bryan did call today and Diana got on the phone (miracles do happen!). She did say "thank you" for her gift. I just was always taught that you should thank someone as soon as you got the gift. Bryan mentioned that they needed to give one of their cats a pill and he has to push it down the cat's throat and hold its head up until it swallows the pill, so I'm going to send him a pill shooter. Loki isn't fond of it, but it gets the capsule in him in no time at all.

Michele in NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. I have not read much but Linda, I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. Diabetes is really scary.

I spent the day in Arkansas at a ceramics workshop. It was wonderful, and I learned a lot of new techniques and enjoyed the day with my friend, Daria.

Now I'm home and I'm tired.

Goodnight everyone.

Sylvia
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

*Terri, I'm glad you are feeling better. Just don't over do.

*Tina, your walking tour sounds great. I haven't heard of that on a treadmill, but then I haven't been in a gym in years.

*Meg, sorry about the knee. At least after the surgery you will feel much better. And I agree that the better shape you are in before surgery--the faster and easier the recovery. You know we are with you all the way.

*pat, that was an interesting article. Thanks. And you "are" one of a kind. :)

*Kim, I'll trade Christmas gifts with you, even though the ugly sleep shirt would be too big for me. I got my last gift yesterday and it was some nice perfumed skin lotion. The
    problem is that it is way too strong on me. I put some on the back of my hand to see how it smells and it made me nauseous. I tried washing it off with soap but that didn't work. Tried it a second time and still too strong. I finally took a Clorox wipe and scrubbed the back of my hand with it so I could get to sleep. Needless to say, I won't put it on again.

*Linda, I'm so sorry for your loss. Take the time to grieve and rant all you want.

*lorielliott, welcome. It sounds like you have the tools and we can help with support so if you have the motivation you are on your way. Most gyms have someone that can show you what you should be doing to fit your wants and needs. Go to the front desk and ask them about that. Good luck.

*Michele, welcome. We don't really care that you are young. Good luck with your goals. I admire anyone that is willing to run a 10K.

*Allison, good wishes going your way for the bird store interview. I know you would love that.

*Linda in Ontario, I'm sorry for your loss. Congrats on your weight loss.

*OMG Linda, welcome to our get-togethers. Yes it is a very informative and supportive group of ladies. We are happy to have you join us. I have actually found this to be much easier than and of the diets that I've tried over the years. And knowing this is a life journey somehow makes it even easier for me. We wish you success.

*Heather, I love spinach in anything but never thought of it in hamburgers. I'll have to try it and I bet it does help the turkey burgers be moist. Thanks :)

Every one keeps talking about staying warm. Before MFP I was hot all the time. I mean I would sweat while others were chilly. And no one ever told me it was because I was "fat". Now after only 30 pounds, I'm cold all the time. Go figure? But I'll take the cold and the missing pounds any day. :)

I wish you all Health and Happiness!!

My word for the of the month is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC