The January Gym Crowd

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    jesse1952 wrote: »
    If you work out at a fitness center do you notice a lot more people there trying to live out their New Years resolution to get in shape? Seems like the same thing happens every year.

Yup, every year. Last year I didn't even go to the gym in january, just because it was insane.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    All of the LA Fitness gyms in my area are really crowded from the beginning of Jan. till around the end of Feb/Mar. I just joined the Cornerstone Club in my area to try it out and so far I love it. I can get all of the free weights that I need and get on the bench without having to wait, it's clean. An added plus is that one of the locations is on the road that I travel on my way home from work.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    You know, I haven't seen a single new face in the pool. The regulars, however, are being considerably more diligent, so it's still crowded. Since it's crowded with people who get lane etiquette, it doesn't really bother me.

I also work out at 5:30 in the morning, so that's not a popular time with the resolution crowd.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate the increased crowd, I'm silently fist-bumping them all! Because that was me last January. I just wish so may wouldn't give up *shrug*
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    On weekends, yes. During the week at the time I go, not so much. Plus during the week I'm in the free weights section and spin room and I think these two places are intimidating to new people. There have been a couple of returnees though-folks who used to spin but left for a bit and now they are back.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    YUP!! One of them decided the perfect time to grab a plate right by the deadlift platform was mid pull on a PR set.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Weird.

Probably just your gym. I've never heard of this annual phenomenon.

Are you sure they weren't just running a sale?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    More of them coming in all the time, but its nice to see some new faces, especially the ones who have a lot to lose and I hope they stick with it. I think people forget just how intimidating it can be.
  • 19juanita72
    19juanita72 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gym member. I need to know what I can do at home.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My gym has stayed pretty consistent. It's usually very quiet. If there are 20 people, it's a busy day! Around the New Year, a few more people came in, but never hard to find a machine or lane in the pool.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Gym is crowded 4:30pm-7:00 or so most of the year. However, I lift after work so around 11pm and have no troubles at all. Then again, I don't pay enough attention to really tell if someone is new or has been going there for a long time.
  • YoshiCow
    YoshiCow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Gym is a bit more crowded, but we all had to start at some point of the year. Still not over crowded, but I go late evening usually.

In the pool on the other hand. Awfully crowded. Up to and including the first week in the New Year there were 8 of us doing it each week. Suddenly there is now 40 of us. Then the free swim afterwards, and every night of the week, hard to even swim. I'm all up for more people improving their fitness etc but when they swim 1 length then stop at the end of the lane to talk for 40 minutes, or talk really loudly during a class then I'm not liking it.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    My gym doesn't seem any more of less crowded...

kjkrdqhjtmhb.jpg

...but I'll keep an eye on it.
  • Nazy_Ak
    Nazy_Ak Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This is something that terrifies me. As someone who has approx 100lbs to lose, I can't build up the courage to join a gym! I've attempted weightloss a few times, and even before I was so huge I was always active so do have machines at home (bike, rower and few free weights) but have motivation highs and lows. This time feels different and I've been flirting with the idea of joining a gym, seeing other people work out would inspire me but terrified of being judged, 'taking up space', crowding the gym for regulars etc

I guess I either have to ignore it and go anyway or just stick to my home gym!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Nazy_Ak wrote: »
    This is something that terrifies me. As someone who has approx 100lbs to lose, I can't build up the courage to join a gym! I've attempted weightloss a few times, and even before I was so huge I was always active so do have machines at home (bike, rower and few free weights) but have motivation highs and lows. This time feels different and I've been flirting with the idea of joining a gym, seeing other people work out would inspire me but terrified of being judged, 'taking up space', crowding the gym for regulars etc

Do it. I can't promise there won't be *any* asshats, but the overwhelming majority of people there won't even notice you/won't judge you/won't intentionally get in your way/won't stop you from doing what you need to do in there. Many of them actuslly want to help and will even field questions if you have any.

And assuming your gym environment is even at least mediocre, there's a huge benefit to that environment (and this is from a guy who lifts at home 75% of the time).

TL;DR - Yes, you can make progress outside a gym...but a decent gym makes it even easier/better.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yep. Even at 5 am the # of folks has more than doubled.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I work at my gym, and one of my jobs is processing new members. We've had almost 80 people join since the first. We typically do about 50 new members a month, so January is definitely, definitely busier.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Nazy_Ak wrote: »

completely on your head. gyms have loads of new starters at the moment. People old and new are focused on why they are there and what they need to do. they arent bothered about you and mostly just understand you are all there for the same reason. Dont let it put you off because its a fear and not a reality. Yo can always get a PT or just look online as to what you need for a routine. Knowing what you are doing when you get there saves time.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    My gym doesn't seem any more of less crowded...

kjkrdqhjtmhb.jpg

...but I'll keep an eye on it.

That's because you buried them!! :)
  • Nazy_Ak
    Nazy_Ak Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thank you @jofjltncb6‌ that's really nice to hear! It's not so much that they would get in MY way, but rather that I will be that annoying person doing low intensity whilst they twiddle their thumbs waiting to do a 'proper' workout lol.

We have actually looked into gyms in our local area and doing research through reviews etc so we can decide what gym is right for us. My husband has said he is willing to come along for moral support (he pretty fit already). I guess the best option would be to do a trial the gym offers and see how I feel.

You have pushed me abit further along my decision :)