How to motivate my girlfriend to exercise?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    konoha457 wrote: »
    I've been together with my girlfriend for 1 1/2 years and still madly in love with her. We're both college students in our early 20's, so maintaining a healthy lifestyle has been difficult where fast food is just so convenient. She's always been on the heavy side to begin with as I am somewhat as well, and that never bothered me before. Lately I began exercising a lot more and eating a lot more healthier, I've never felt more alive and was always full of energy. But over the time we've been dating, she's been growing very lazy and unmotivated, and her diet is a bit overindulging and I worry about her health. I exercise almost 5 times a week (less due to an injury recently), and every time I ask her if she would like to join me, she refuses every time (she even has a small gym right downstairs in her apartment complex and still refuses to go).

I feel like it is partially my fault, since I love to cook rich foods and often spoil her with it. But when I became focused on my own health and started cooking more healthier options, she just stopped eating my cooking entirely and just goes out to eat. She also complains to me she is very self-conscious and insecure of her looks, and at the start of 2015, she made her new years resolution to exercise more and eat healthier, yet she has made virtually no effort in doing so.

I feel like her lifestyle is really affecting our relationship. I love her to death and she is still very beautiful in my eyes, but just the thought of her unhealthy lifestyle has diminished my sex drive. While it may seem shallow for saying that, I don't want her to keep going down this path since it'll lead to more health problems and she already is dealing with a condition called hyperthyroidism.

What can I do to approach her that she would be more interested in a healthier lifestyle. Is there any way I can get her to exercise with me or to push for eating healthier?

Don't make her exercise - take her on dates

- walk in the country and a picnic
    - rollerblading, horseriding, bike ride
    - dancing all night
    - all night sex

It doesn't have to be the gym .. it just has to be fun

*sneak attack*
  • webuiltthisnicky
    webuiltthisnicky Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It'll be hard for her to leave her comfort zone. I'm very early on in my attempts to lose weight and the hardest thing I've found is that eating healthy and cutting calories (I won't be going out running til the nights get lighter) was uncomfortable. I was used to stodgy comfort food, chocolate, and wine, and that was comfortable. Cutting out all those things I liked and trying to learn to like other stuff was hard and before I started, felt like it would be really rubbish and I would always be hungry/craving.

Sometimes it only takes a week of trying to change your mind about it. The thing is, it'll be in her own time that she does that, if ever. I hope she does. It feels good, improves your energy levels and even after a few days of cutting rubbish you feel less bloated and sluggish. Maybe that'll be all she needs to motivate her to continue. I hope she decides to move forward with you. Good luck!
  • webuiltthisnicky
    webuiltthisnicky Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Don't make her exercise - take her on dates

- walk in the country and a picnic
    - rollerblading, horseriding, bike ride
    - dancing all night
    - all night sex

It doesn't have to be the gym .. it just has to be fun

*sneak attack*

This is great too because it'll make her feel extra special and pretty (especially those last two!!!) and might actually make her want to get more of that feeling by improving her physique. Sometimes there's nothing like realising you're a desirable, great-looking lady to make yourself want to become even MORE desirable and great-looking!
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm heavily into fitness and my partner of 6 yrs is not . we still have a lot more in common he respects my luv of fitness and we get along fine. if her weight is a problem cook healthier meals , take her for a walk or a hike, bike riding doesn't have to be the gym, get a dvd workout and do this in your home and it's just you and her , make it fun for her . Goodluck you sound like nice guy who wants to work it out :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If she doesn't like exercise, I suspect every damn date being about fitness might mean she pretty soon doesn't like you very much, either
  • maxwellnyce
    maxwellnyce Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Stop asking strangers for relationship advice. I know I'd be rather sore to learn that my significant other was asking Joe Shmoe for advice on how to deal with me (even if I'm a huge pain in the a**).
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    You changed not her
    They say don't be with someone you want to change
    If it was the other way round she was healthy & fit them let herself go then you could complain
    Tbh she may feel daunted at starting I know week 1-2 of a healthy change us daunting so maybe slow steps are needed
    Good luck
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I am in a relationship like this. We have been living together for the last 5+ years. When we first met, I was at my lightest at the time, which was 170lbs. I quickly gained weight when me and him moved in together, as we ate the same things and the same amounts! Ballooned up to 250lbs, mainly due to over eating and under exercising, possibly some medications.
    +
    + Today, I have lost 83lbs. He does not work out, or eat healthy. If anything, he has gained about 50lbs. Basically - I work out, weigh/measure my foods. I have a huge interest in fitness and nutrition, and he supports that. I support his interest in other things.
    +
    + I have never pushed it on him. When he asks, I will support and encourage. If he falls off the wagon - I leave it alone. He has his exercises that he does like, but does not do them often (biking, badminton) so of course, if he says he wants to go do something that involves exercise I will always say yes...otherwise, I do it alone and do not hassel him to get involved.
    +
    + With food, basically we eat the same as we used to except I eat less. We will eat a protein, a complex carb, then I will put a veg of my choice. He may or may not have his veg of choice. If we have something like spaghetti, I will eat the spaghetti...just less.
    +
    + I still love him and his appearance just the same as day one. I still have a strong attraction to him. He may feel insecure with me getting in shape and losing weight...but he doesnt show it if that is the case!
    +
    I often recall a quote I read once regarding this exact thing. "(s)He had me at my worst, so (s)he deserves me at my best!"

It sounds like with your mind set (pushing it, trying to change her, attraction decreasing) that the relationship is going to die out sooner or later. You need to accept the fact that she may never change. Can you live with this? She might also lose weight, but gain it all back one day. Can you still be with her? If not, you need to find someone who has the same interests/values as you.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You're pretty darn pushy- whether you mean to be or not. It's one thing to cook meals that you eat together- but to show up with preportioned meals- well, that would just piss me off.

You aren't going to change her- especially with these heavy handed tactics. Either love her as she is and do your own thing or move on.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    sandown12 wrote: »
    You changed not her
    They say don't be with someone you want to change
    If it was the other way round she was healthy & fit them let herself go then you could complain
    Tbh she may feel daunted at starting I know week 1-2 of a healthy change us daunting so maybe slow steps are needed
    Good luck

I agree, sounds more like you changed and now you are judging her and making her feel not good enough. Calling her lazy when she is probably doing what you probably used to do together all the time for fun is mean. Sounds like the best thing she could do is not be in a relationship with you if you are going to be so judgemental and unsupportive towards her. You need to have a look at yourself and your attitude and figure out if you are good for her.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You can't force someone to change. When you changed, you altered the relationship dynamic. Either accept her or move on.

Being angry at her is not the solution.
  • maiden77
    Options
    Agreed with others on here that you can't motivate people to do this, they have to motivate themselves. For me it was a breakup of a long term relationship, 4 months late, i had lost 3.5 stone and was one of the fittest people at the circuit training at used to go to. I worry about my little bro as he must be hovering around 20 stone (at my heaviest i was 16.5 stone, I am 6ft 3, hes about 5,11) but if he doesn't make a change, I can't help it. I have never once brought it up, i just invite him to my gym, which he likes and say no more on the subject. But the changes need to be bigger than gym once per week and absolutely no change in diet, but hurting his feelings won't help, so I just need to wait and hope he makes the change, if he doesn't, thats up to him. Hes happy, has plenty of friends, does well at college, so it's not a massive issue yet.

I would say, you can still cook healthy and not pre-portion meals which would almost definitely seem insulting to a lady imo, and to anybody who cares about their figure tbh. I would get a book called 'food for fitness' and another called 'food that makes muscle' (men's health book). Both these have delicious meals in them. Some that me and my missus recently discovered are the Hairy Bikers books, Hairy Dieters. Delicious foods, filling, and not tiny looking meals. Offer to cook meals, but absolutely do not mention portions, or calories, or anything else. And simply enjoy nice food with your lady. As most have said, she will choose whether or not to exercise, so you need to either accept her as she is, or sadly split. If you want to change yourself that's great, but you can't wish change upon another.

Hyperthyroidism won't help her with this either, it will probably make her more self conscious, and also will affect her body and brain chemistry, and unhappy body and mind, will not be willing to go out and exert itself as much as a healthy one.

I would say health problems are not a thing to worry about in early 20s unless she is quite severly overweight. I know at 20 I was still finding myself, and until I hit 24 hadn't really. Time is all you can give here, and patience.

Hope this helps
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    You don't. You just love her the way she is and if you can't do that (if she doesn't chose to exercise) get out of the relationship. Why on earth did you think this was even an appropriate question to ask? That poor girlfriend of yours doesn't deserve this. If I knew my BF was on this site telling people I'm lazy I'd kick him so hard where the sun don't shine and tell him to get the heck out of my house.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Just break up.

I can't believe no one has said that yet.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Ya know, while taking better care of oneself and being healthier is something anyone can do at any age, OP, I just want to say you've grown a lot over the past couple years and acquired skills and values that will serve you well for a lifetime, and I just want to commend you for that. Hope your relationship works out the way you want it to, but either way, I suspect it will be for the best
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have to address the medical issue here since you say she is dealing with hypothyroidism.
    That comes with depression, weight gain, fatigue, and so on.

At the very least you need to stop pressuring her to exercise and lose weight. That has to be her choice.

This will be a lifelong struggle for her. If this is something you cannot deal with, then you have to be honest with her and yourself. Torturing each other is not a healthy way to live for either of you.

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You don't. You just love her the way she is and if you can't do that (if she doesn't chose to exercise) get out of the relationship. Why on earth did you think this was even an appropriate question to ask? That poor girlfriend of yours doesn't deserve this. If I knew my BF was on this site telling people I'm lazy I'd kick him so hard where the sun don't shine and tell him to get the heck out of my house.

I wouldn't say that asking the question isn't appropriate. I would agree that his mind frame on the whole subject isn't what it should be but it isn't as if he put up pictures of his girlfriend and said "I'm not attracted to her because she's overweight".

If something like your partner asking for blind relationship questions is going to cause you to kick him and throw him out then you have a long road ahead of you. Relationships and people aren't perfect.

Seriously? I really want to let this go but can't. What a way to start out a Monday morning. If my BF can't ask me or tell me what he wants from me, reasonably, without posting it on a public weight loss forum, our relationship is over in my eyes. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I respect your opinion of my relationship, but you have nerve sir.

He said he thought she was LAZY on a public form. That's grounds for divorce in my world. Maybe your's is different. Just because he likes something doesn't mean she has to. Just like every other person coming on here complaining that their spouse or significant other doesn't support them because they don't follow what they are newly doing. Just because you like something and are into something doesn't mean your SO has to also. Ever. My boyfriend loves sitting around playing video games. He doesn't expect me to do it. He's not that fond of shopping. I don't make him do it because I like it. Same thing. I've said my peace, I'm out. This really woke me up and got me going this morning. Thanks OP.

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I wouldn't say that asking the question isn't appropriate. I would agree that his mind frame on the whole subject isn't what it should be but it isn't as if he put up pictures of his girlfriend and said "I'm not attracted to her because she's overweight".

If something like your partner asking for blind relationship questions is going to cause you to kick him and throw him out then you have a long road ahead of you. Relationships and people aren't perfect.

Seriously? I really want to let this go but can't. What a way to start out a Monday morning. If my BF can't ask me or tell me what he wants from me, reasonably, without posting it on a public weight loss forum, our relationship is over in my eyes. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I respect your opinion of my relationship, but you have nerve sir.

He said he thought she was LAZY on a public form. That's grounds for divorce in my world. Maybe your's is different. Just because he likes something doesn't mean she has to. Just like every other person coming on here complaining that their spouse or significant other doesn't support them because they don't follow what they are newly doing. Just because you like something and are into something doesn't mean your SO has to also. Ever. My boyfriend loves sitting around playing video games. He doesn't expect me to do it. He's not that fond of shopping. I don't make him do it because I like it. Same thing. I've said my peace, I'm out. This really woke me up and got me going this morning. Thanks OP.

Dude, she is lazy. Many of us were and are at some point. Truth hurts sometimes. Deal with it.