How to motivate my girlfriend to exercise?

Options

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Sounds like you two need to sit down an have a talk. You need to decide how important this is to you and if you love her enough to stay regardless. If it comes down to a health issue with her, that's a different story.
    Also, instead of trying to make her go to the gym, why don't you try getting her to go for a walk with you?

i tink he said he tried the walk thing and she said no …

OP - sounds you all are going in different directions….just break it off now and seek out someone more active ..

case closed...

Also this. In spite of what people may tell you there is no shame in not wanting ending your relationship because of this. You aren't a scumbag. You're a guy who has changed his ways and desires a woman of a similar lifestyle who you're attracted to. If your girlfriend isn't that then be done. Don't bet on her changing into what you want, as heartache follows that path.

I disagree since you just started lifting and all and she isn't preventing/arguing with you about going to the gym, that's pretty awesome. Also what happens if you do find someone who lifts.. and then injure yourself and you can't lift anymore ... would it then be okay for her to leave you?

However . . . at your age ... odds are you wont be with her forever... IMO live it up until you get to like 28-29 and then look at settling down.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Just loving how offensive it is for a guy to do food prep for a girl.

I think if he were doing it because she was truly interested and invested but was struggling to keep up with everything in her life, it would be seen differently. It would be a loving gesture, support, helpful.

so when he cooked "rich" meals for her that is loving..but then switching to healthy meals makes him a level 1 scumbag???? really???
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you two need to sit down an have a talk. You need to decide how important this is to you and if you love her enough to stay regardless. If it comes down to a health issue with her, that's a different story.
    Also, instead of trying to make her go to the gym, why don't you try getting her to go for a walk with you?

OP - sounds you all are going in different directions….just break it off now and seek out someone more active ..

case closed...

Also this. In spite of what people may tell you there is no shame in not wanting ending your relationship because of this. You aren't a scumbag. You're a guy who has changed his ways and desires a woman of a similar lifestyle who you're attracted to. If your girlfriend isn't that then be done. Don't bet on her changing into what you want, as heartache follows that path.

I disagree since you just started lifting and all and she isn't preventing/arguing with you about going to the gym, that's pretty awesome. Also what happens if you do find someone who lifts.. and then injure yourself and you can't lift anymore ... would it then be okay for her to leave you?

However . . . at your age ... odds are you wont be with her forever... IMO live it up until you get to like 28-29 and then look at settling down.

wow, the reasoning behind your advice just gets worse and worse….
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You have to lead by example, so keep doing what you are doing. If this is important to you then you do you. You can encourage her but don't be pushy about it. If she isn't ready to do it then all the talking in the world won't help. Something personal has to happen to her for her to get it in her head that this needs to be done. Until then, she will most likely continue on the path she is on even if it makes her unhappy. You let her come to you for help. If she does, then it will be for her own reasons and not because she thinks you are not attracted to her, which only causes resentment for having to lose the weight because of you. Just my 2 cents.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I wish my husband would food prep for me. :(

All I want is a little food prep, someone to spot me, and some cuddles, but I went and married some damn fast food inhaling cardio bunny. (Likewise he'd probably like less precooked chicken breast, protein smoothies, and more couples 10 miles runs.)*

*These aren't real complaints. I find the vast difference in our fitness loves amusing.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Just dump her.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you don't realize you're doing this, but you do sound very paternalistic. Most don't want parents for partners. Her own attraction to you could be diminished, and she may not be enthusiastic about spending time together if she feels like you are her father. Food is probably even more comforting to her right now.

I don't know what you should do about your relationship. There's no way for me to know. But what you're doing isn't working, so try something else. If she really wants to meal prep, she will.

One other question-when is the last time she had her thyroid levels checked?

so caring about his GF's health, and weight is "paternalistic", really???

based on that statement OP could never say anything one way or another about a partner that he said he does in fact love….

geez, some the defensiveness for OP's GF in this thread is amazing...

No, the caring about her weight and health isn't an issue. The way he talks comes off as paternalistic, and if a woman wrote this post, I'd say she sounded pretty maternal.

He talks of spoiling her and of taking a night to give her three days worth of food, not because she truly can't do it, but because he's trying to change her into doing what he feels is right. That's going to come off as parental, not partner.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I wish my husband would food prep for me. :(

All I want is a little food prep, someone to spot me, and some cuddles, but I went and married some damn fast food inhaling cardio bunny. (Likewise he'd probably like less precooked chicken breast, protein smoothies, and more couples 10 miles runs.)*

*These aren't real complaints. I find the vast difference in our fitness loves amusing.

Me too!!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    All you can really do is offer your support. Let her know you are there to help when she's ready to make a change.

I don't see a problem with asking her to go for walks, though. Walking as a couple is pretty nice in my opinion; it's a good time to chat.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    joolsmd wrote: »
    I feel a bit sorry for her to be honest. For a while you and her have had the same lifestyle and everything has been tickety-boo. Then you find a new hobby and are now criticising her weight, her looks, her lifestyle and her health. You are also showing controlling behaviour by cooking her meals and then checking her fridge to see if she's eaten them. When she said she wanted to get involved in food prep maybe she meant she wanted to do it herself, and you've basically just taken over. Also, have you checked she likes the food you've made? Not everyone goes mad for kale and kohlrabi surprise.

I would be heartbroken if I found out my SO was discussing my weight on a forum, any forum. Have a chat with her about your concerns but stop picking on her. if she's anything like me that will drive her to eat even more!

so looking in the fridge and seeing a "moldy uneaten meal" that OP cooked is "controlling"…wow!

so anytime he opens his fridge that is controlling??? really???
    I didn't say that. I said that he is checking her fridge to find out whether she is eating his food. I in no way said he couldn't look in his own fridge, and I am a bit concerned you read that in my post.

They don't live together, so why is he checking her fridge?

• Daiako
    Options

case closed...

...what? Getting injured so badly he can no longer lift is a wee different than someone just not being interested. And he doesn't have to find someone who lifts. Maybe he finds a girl who loves to hike or kyack or run ultras. Maybe he finds a girl who is active and can broaden his horizons in that regard. Hopefully they'd have other stuff in common and challenge each other to do more and get better.

Or I guess he could stay with the girl he's with now because she doesn't stop him from lifting...?

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

right?

I thought it was considered a good thing to cook dinner for your gf/wife/significant other?

would it be better if he just brought her happy meals from mcdonalds every day??????

In this case, YES. :bigsmile:

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I love exercise and eating healthy my man is a chef so loves all food , he cooks and I cook I weigh my food he doesn't and he doesn't mind weighing it for me he is bigger than we first met and in that time we have had 2 children.
    I ask him to come play football with me and children etc, he recently started C25K and it came from him I encourage him and make his lunches everyday but I do not force my lifestyle on him I suggest things we could do together but if he wants to snack at night on chocolate ( he does a lot) I will join him but with fruit or a greek yogurt we are 2 different people who love eachother and make it work. he thinks MFP is a bit OCD and I think hes carefree style is lazy we just respect its what the other does. So my advice accept her date her and stop moaning about her or just break up because you cant change her and why would you want to? you say you love her so part of love is respect and acceptance.
  • Daiako
    Options
    I feel a bit sorry for her to be honest. For a while you and her have had the same lifestyle and everything has been tickety-boo. Then you find a new hobby and are now criticising her weight, her looks, her lifestyle and her health. You are also showing controlling behaviour by cooking her meals and then checking her fridge to see if she's eaten them. When she said she wanted to get involved in food prep maybe she meant she wanted to do it herself, and you've basically just taken over. Also, have you checked she likes the food you've made? Not everyone goes mad for kale and kohlrabi surprise.

I would be heartbroken if I found out my SO was discussing my weight on a forum, any forum. Have a chat with her about your concerns but stop picking on her. if she's anything like me that will drive her to eat even more!

so looking in the fridge and seeing a "moldy uneaten meal" that OP cooked is "controlling"…wow!

I didn't say that. I said that he is checking her fridge to find out whether she is eating his food. I in no way said he couldn't look in his own fridge, and I am a bit concerned you read that in my post.

Maybe he wanted a soda....?
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    konoha457 wrote: »
    I've been together with my girlfriend for 1 1/2 years and still madly in love with her. We're both college students in our early 20's, so maintaining a healthy lifestyle has been difficult where fast food is just so convenient. She's always been on the heavy side to begin with as I am somewhat as well, and that never bothered me before. Lately I began exercising a lot more and eating a lot more healthier, I've never felt more alive and was always full of energy. But over the time we've been dating, she's been growing very lazy and unmotivated, and her diet is a bit overindulging and I worry about her health. I exercise almost 5 times a week (less due to an injury recently), and every time I ask her if she would like to join me, she refuses every time (she even has a small gym right downstairs in her apartment complex and still refuses to go).

I feel like it is partially my fault, since I love to cook rich foods and often spoil her with it. But when I became focused on my own health and started cooking more healthier options, she just stopped eating my cooking entirely and just goes out to eat. She also complains to me she is very self-conscious and insecure of her looks, and at the start of 2015, she made her new years resolution to exercise more and eat healthier, yet she has made virtually no effort in doing so.

I feel like her lifestyle is really affecting our relationship. I love her to death and she is still very beautiful in my eyes, but just the thought of her unhealthy lifestyle has diminished my sex drive. While it may seem shallow for saying that, I don't want her to keep going down this path since it'll lead to more health problems and she already is dealing with a condition called hyperthyroidism.

What can I do to approach her that she would be more interested in a healthier lifestyle. Is there any way I can get her to exercise with me or to push for eating healthier?

Don't make her exercise - take her on dates

- walk in the country and a picnic
    - rollerblading, horseriding, bike ride
    - dancing all night
    - all night sex

It doesn't have to be the gym .. it just has to be fun

*sneak attack*

THIS!!!
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I think if he were doing it because she was truly interested and invested but was struggling to keep up with everything in her life, it would be seen differently. It would be a loving gesture, support, helpful.

so when he cooked "rich" meals for her that is loving..but then switching to healthy meals makes him a level 1 scumbag???? really???

Can you please provide a source where I called him a level 1 scumbag? Or where I said the "rich" meals were loving?

He asked for help. I didn't call him names. I said he's probably not even aware that he's doing it. I'm not sure where all the emotion is coming from on this.

If I were talking about the meals I wanted to make and came home to find a good deal of it prepped, I'd be pretty pleased and grateful to my husband. If I came home and found the next three days of food he wants me to eat, not so much. And really? Neither would you. We know you like your moderation. Would it feel good to come home to three days worth of food that someone else deems acceptable for you to eat, or would you rather go out and grab some fast food?
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You have changed. Through your journey to be healthy, your priorities have changed to a healthier lifestyle. If you aren't sexually attracted to her and she has no interest in changing her health, time to move on. You can't change her. You would benefit from someone that has similar priorities and goals as you do.
  • Daiako
    Options

Maybe he wanted a soda....?

Or maybe the smell of rank weeks old food draws him to the fridge. Ugh.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Can you please provide a source where I called him a level 1 scumbag? Or where I said the "rich" meals were loving?

He asked for help. I didn't call him names. I said he's probably not even aware that he's doing it. I'm not sure where all the emotion is coming from on this.

If I were talking about the meals I wanted to make and came home to find a good deal of it prepped, I'd be pretty pleased and grateful to my husband. If I came home and found the next three days of food he wants me to eat, not so much. And really? Neither would you. We know you like your moderation. Would it feel good to come home to three days worth of food that someone else deems acceptable for you to eat, or would you rather go out and grab some fast food?

She does state from time to time that she wants to eat healthier. I agree with the comment made that she may not have liked some of what he prepped, especially if they didn't have a conversation about options she might like first. But if I wanted to eat healthier and was being lazy but my fridge was always stocked with the fruit and veg, pre-cut up marinated meats, etc, that I wanted, personally I would not be offended