Why deprive yourself of delicious foods?

Okay, so be prepared for a rant.

Why do people deprive themselves of foods like chocolate, fried stuff, whatever when on a diet? These foods are not the enemy! The person eating them lacks self control, which is the true enemy. I hate going through my news feed and seeing people say "I never go out to eat" "I don't eat that trash" and I'm like dude moderation is key, not deprivation.

I'm determined to show people that you can lose weight and eat "trash" whenever you please. Again, it's all about moderation.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Why do you assume people think they can't eat foods you find delicious just because they choose not to?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    I cut fried foods out because I felt like it and I don't care who has a problem with it.

I am happy to be eating a healthy diet, losing weight and exercising. It's hard at first, but it gets easier. Now I prefer it. :)

If other people look down their noses because I'm not having a Reese's cup and McNuggets every day, that's their problem and not mine.

I didn't clean up my diet because I'm seeking approval from others, lol. I did it for me. I'm happy with it and proud of myself. If the Rabid Moderation crowd wants to make fun of it, let them. It makes them happy and I don't care about their approval, lol, so win-win.

I still eat delicious food, too! It's just not drowning in grease and salt. My idea of "delicious" has changed and the things I loved before don't taste nearly as good now. I'd RATHER have the real berries than the Crunch Berries. No deprivation. :)
  • bambarby
    bambarby Posts: 10 Member
    It's difficult to eat these food in moderation. Once you start, you just can't stop. Eating them a little bit "whenever" doesn't work with some people.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    WHY ARE ALL THE POSTS DISAGREEING WITH OP FLAGGED?!?!?! OP can have her OPINION but others cant?
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    You do you OP, if it works for others let them.

Now go ahead and flag my post.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    WHY ARE ALL THE POSTS DISAGREEING WITH OP FLAGGED?!?!?! OP can have her OPINION but others cant?

Clearly all the posts have been abusive to the 18 yo expert.
  • Kalikel
    edited January 2015
    People will flag anything. I saw someone get flagged for congratulating another poster on their weight loss.

I frequently advise seeing a doctor as part of your weight loss plan or when someone has a physical issue. There are people who flag it just because they don't like hat I suggest that, lol.

Then there are Flag Wars. I have actually laughed out loud twice watching flags pop up in threads. First one side starts flagging, then the other side starts flagging. It's kind of funny sometimes. Flag...flag...flag.

Someone messaged me to let me know most of my posts were being flagged. Someone out there sits and flags every post other people make. That's a little sad and goes beyond the giggling. It doesn't bother me, but I am not laughing at that person. I hope that person finds joy and peace. Just laughing at the general flagging, which is funny sometimes. :)
  • bambarby
    bambarby Posts: 10 Member
    I'm new here. What the consequence of getting flagged?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    bambarby wrote: »

None

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    I "deprive" myself of certain things because I have no self-control around them. It's... really not rocket science. I have a goal, and I'm not going to reach that goal if I'm binging on four bagels a night or five ounces of cheese with lunch.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited January 2015

My understanding is that the moderators will check it out. If they find a post that violates the forum rules, they can remove it and possibly give the poster a 'strike' of some sort. If you get enough strikes, you can be banned from the forums. But a flag is not a strike.

Also, the mods can see who flags a post. I'm not sure if they have any penalties for excessive inappropriate flagging, but I would not be surprised if that starts soon given the way some people seem to flag just for fun, causing more work for the mods.
  • Kalikel

Nothing. There is no consequence. Nobody cares. It's like lodging a complaint in space.

Some people use the flag as a like button, too, so you're never really sure if it's a complaint or a like.

They mean nothing.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited January 2015

Very odd. One can simply post their counter point if they wanted to.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    I believe over flagging is against MFP rules, but I could be wrong.

OP: I eat what ever I want in moderation, I have reverse my heart issues, which people said it wouldn't happen unless I cut sugar and carbs, those evil process foods, ice cream, etc, lol, I guess I proved them wrong. ;)
  • crimsonpaw
    crimsonpaw Posts: 12 Member
    I try to be good during the week, but on my "cheat" day all bets are off. I love fried and greasy food, but I realize I can't hit my goal while eating it every day. If I gave up my guilty pleasures completely, there's no way I'd suck to my plan. I'm disciplined, but if I don't have a tasty reward for that discipline then it ain't worth it to me. Just my $.02
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    because demonizing foods as "bad" and then blaming weight gain on them, then makes it easier to jut 100% restrict said foods and use them as a crutch ...

when you boil it down there are no good and bad foods. What matters is your overall diet...context and dosage is important, not individual food choices...

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited January 2015
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    because demonizing foods as "bad" and then blaming weight gain on them, then makes it easier to jut 100% restrict said foods and use them as a crutch ...

when you boil it down there are no good and bad foods. What matters is your overall diet...context and dosage is important, not individual food choices...

Agree 100%
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    crimsonpaw wrote: »
    I try to be good during the week, but on my "cheat" day all bets are off. I love fried and greasy food, but I realize I can't hit my goal while eating it every day. If I gave up my guilty pleasures completely, there's no way I'd suck to my plan. I'm disciplined, but if I don't have a tasty reward for that discipline then it ain't worth it to me. Just my $.02

alternate suggestion ...

if you ate a little of what you liked each day, maybe you would not feel the need to have a "all bets are off blow out" once a week ...

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited January 2015
    Opinions are like @ss*****...
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    I think it may have something to do with all the weight loss "information" out there - television shows (biggest loser), ads, workout DVDs, diets, marketing methods.. most of it suggests to the public that you can't lose weight while eating these things. People tend to believe what they are told unless they are smart or curious enough to look it up for themselves. Sheep mentality.