Why deprive yourself of delicious foods?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    because demonizing foods as "bad" and then blaming weight gain on them, then makes it easier to jut 100% restrict said foods and use them as a crutch ...

when you boil it down there are no good and bad foods. What matters is your overall diet...context and dosage is important, not individual food choices...

This is incorrect. There are plenty of foods that are bad for you, even in moderation.

Sure you can stay at a normal weight from keeping it to moderation but this doesn't mean these foods aren't terrible for your overall health.

please list said foods...

Google Trans fats.

All processed foods increase health risks as you age. The chemicals put into foods to make them last for years are awful for humans. It's no coincidence that healthy foods go bad quickly... because it's actual food.

Being fit and being healthy are two completely different things.

You can have 10% body fat and be extremely unhealthy on the inside (what really matters. )

LOL well my blood panel/health markers come back in the excellent range every year..

and processed foods are not bad for you. Whole wheat pasta is a processed food do you considerer that bad?

You can eat processed foods, hit your calorie/micro/macro goals and be fine.

Again, it is about dosage not individual food choice.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    because demonizing foods as "bad" and then blaming weight gain on them, then makes it easier to jut 100% restrict said foods and use them as a crutch ...

when you boil it down there are no good and bad foods. What matters is your overall diet...context and dosage is important, not individual food choices...

This is incorrect. There are plenty of foods that are bad for you, even in moderation.

Sure you can stay at a normal weight from keeping it to moderation but this doesn't mean these foods aren't terrible for your overall health.
    You're being baited into an Internet fight. Just a heads up.

True, we should just let his misinformation go unnoticed. :insertsarcasm:

What misinformation would that be? That trans fats are unhealthy? Go tell that to a room full of cardiologists and see what happens.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Foods containing trans fats.

again, dosage, not individual food choice.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited January 2015

Google Trans fats.

All processed foods increase health risks as you age. The chemicals put into foods to make them last for years are awful for humans. It's no coincidence that healthy foods go bad quickly... because it's actual food.

You can have 10% body fat and be extremely unhealthy on the inside (what really matters. )

LOL We posted at the same time.

You guys could just say dairy and meat to save some work. I know I had better things to do with my 5 seconds of searching for "foods with trans fats" that I could've spent on posting a cat gif in CC&G.

OT: I don't care what people eat. I'm not part of the food diary police, 'cause, you know, glass houses and all.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Why do people deprive themselves of foods like chocolate, fried stuff, whatever when on a diet? These foods are not the enemy! The person eating them lacks self control, which is the true enemy.

Why do alcoholics deprive themselves of drinks like whiskey, beer, wine? These drinks aren't the enemy! The person drinking them lacks self control, which is the true enemy.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Some people demonize elimination. They see moderation as black and white. You either eat in moderation, which is "good" or you eat too much/not enough junk, which is "bad."

What the what? What is that even supposed to mean?

Don't get it twisted, I never said to force yourself to eat "bad" food, LOL. Eat what you want, when you want, make sure it fits your calories, and you're good to go. No need to completely deprive yourself of sweets, breads, etc. etc. because they're arbitrarily considered "bad." No one is disputing the fact that broccoli has more micronutrients than a donut, but categorizing foods as "bad" or "good" is the definition of black and white thinking.

It's the dose that makes the poison.

But I mean, if you want to completely eliminate certain things from your diet... You do you. It's hard to learn how to eat in moderation but IMO it gets easier over time to control yourself around trigger foods if you allow yourself to have them.
    It's supposed to mean that what is right for you isn't necessarily right for everyone and that moderation isn't necessarily a good thing.

This whole business of "I am superior because I include XYZ foods in my diet" gets a little ridiculous. A lot of people fall into it. My advice would be to not fall into that trap.

It's really difficult following the "moderation" thing, too, since every single person who defines it defines it differently. Some have a little of the same few treats every day. Some splurge on extremely rare occasions. Some have a bit now and then. When people try to figure out what everyone means when they say, "Eat in moderation," there is no definition. It's a lot like "clean" eating. The people who tout it are all saying something different.

Everyone has to walk their own path. Your "moderation" isn't the path for all.
  • fatcity66

Foods containing trans fats.

again, dosage, not individual food choice.

Incorrect. There is no amount of trans fats that is good for you. Why do you think all food manufacturers formulate their foods to try to get the label to say "zero" grams of trans fat? Even though they do contain it, they can legally say zero because it's less than half a gram per serving . It's not good for your arteries, in any amount.
  • Mr_Knight
    I'm determined to show people that you can lose weight and eat "trash" whenever you please.

By posting anonymously on a chat board?

BS.

• ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    edited January 2015
    Please.........:-) Self control is over rated

even more important than having self control is self awareness. The ability to determine if you have self control or not.

Eating in moderation is not for everyone, it works for some. It does not work for others. I like cake, chocolate and ice cream....Love them. I have tried eating them in moderation. Day 1 goes well...One chocolate, 2 Cookies, Day 2.. the same. by Day 3. 2 Chocolates, 5 Cookies, 2 Ice Cream. By Day 5....I stop counting the # of chocolates and cakes and ice cream and so i deprive my self for a while, have some cheat days and then deprive myself for a while.
    I know i lack self control when it comes to cookies, cake, ice cream as a result, i have a cheat day, or some cheat days and then deprive my self for the other days or weeks.
    Thats ok, it's also ok for those who can have it daily in moderation :-)
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    I am truly in shock that a few of you think Trans fats are not unhealthy.
  • Mr_Knight
    Why do people even care about what other people eat?

It's a twisted variant of schadenfreude - it makes them feel better about themselves.
  • fatcity66
    edited January 2015
    zyxst wrote: »

Google Trans fats.

LOL We posted at the same time.

You guys could just say dairy and meat to save some work. I know I had better things to do with my 5 seconds of searching for "foods with trans fats" that I could've spent on posting a cat gif in CC&G.

OT: I don't care what people eat. I'm not part of the food diary police, 'cause, you know, glass houses and all.

I'm sorry? Dairy and meat don't contain much trans fats, they contain saturated fats. There is a difference. One is man-made, the other occurs naturally. And saturated fats are not necessarily unhealthy.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member

What misinformation would that be? That trans fats are unhealthy? Go tell that to a room full of cardiologists and see what happens.

And again... In small doses, no one food is bad for you. If you gorge on stuff that's loaded with trans fat, then yeah... But you HAVE to take into account dosage.
  • fatcity66
    edited January 2015
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

And again... In small doses, no one food is bad for you. If you gorge on stuff that's loaded with trans fat, then yeah... But you HAVE to take into account dosage.

Again, this is the misinformation. It is not good for you, in any amount. Sorry, I have to break this to some of you, apparently.
  • jasonmh630

Again, this is the misinformation. It is not good for you, in any amount. Sorry, I have to break this to some of you, apparently.

Again, there are plenty of people here who are in perfect health with perfect blood work who defy what you just said.
  • fatcity66
    My bad: "Some meat and dairy products contain small amounts of naturally occurring trans fat. But most trans fat is formed through an industrial process that adds hydrogen to vegetable oil, which causes the oil to become solid at room temperature." That's what I should have said.
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member

Again, there are plenty of people here who are in perfect health with perfect blood work who defy what you just said.

There are also plenty of 90 year old men in perfect health who have been smoking for 70 years. Does this make cigarettes good for you now?

Flawed logic...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    There is a difference for people who choose not to eat certain foods and people who think they can't eat certain foods.

I get that for some people, they just feel better when they don't eat XYZ or they just can't seem to control themselves around it. I understand that's how they feel and it's not affecting me so whatever. Personally, I'd rather learn how to control it than just not eat it ever again.

But the people who think they can't are a different story. They've probably been "brainwashed" by the media that its unhealthy and full of chemicals that will kill you. But I think there's also a psychological underpinning to it:

It's easier to blame the food for you being fat, than to take responsibility for it yourself. If the food is what is making you unhealthy, then it's not your fault. That's an attractive prospect for many who are in denial about how bad their eating habits are and that they chose to eat that poorly. Maybe it's how you were raised, but once you became an adult, you chose to continue eating badly.

Personal responsibility can be a scary thing.

Me on the other hand, I find personal responsibility to be liberating. I tried to cut dessert out of my life for a long time because I felt guilty when I ate it. Now that I track my calories and macros, I know that when I eat dessert, it's ok. It fits into my daily goals and my healthy diet. No more reason to feel guilty.
    Are you seriously suggesting those who don't eat like you do must have been brainwashed and are less responsible?
  • jasonmh630

Plus, no one here is saying that you can eat as much of it as you want and not worry about it. EVERYTHING food related needs to be taken in context with dosage.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I am truly in shock that a few of you think Trans fats are not unhealthy.

Yeah, that surprised me too when I first joined. But some seem to think anything that doesn't make you immediately fall over dead is not unhealthy.