The January Gym Crowd

Options

Replies

• RNGRZulu
    RNGRZulu Posts: 3,964 Member
    Options
    Hate hate hate it! Sorry...I'm a bad person.

I've been at the same gym (on and off) for 14 years. I'm in at 6am so every January this happens and I know it won't last long. Not as long as the PM crowd anyway. At our place you pay for the whole year.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    My gym is more crowded for sure and for the most part, I think it's great. I just hate the parking lot. And the long walk to the front door. In the cold. Especially when it's raining. Or snowing. Or icy. I'm such a whiny baby.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »
    My understanding of the niche fitness business is that a key part of the business model is that it takes far fewer members to reach a break-even point if you have an attractive product. The initial capital investment is lower, overhead costs are lower, and members are willing to pay a higher price for the increased attention (which can also result in lower turnover rate). Starting a traditional club with a lot of equipment require a much larger volume of members. And unless you are a higher-end premium facility, you are usually competing on price with a bunch of other chains. It turns into a race to the bottom that needs a constant flow of new members to sustain.

A boutique club usually doesn't require anywhere near that much churn and burn.

I think the fact that the product might be "hot" right now drives the decision to open the business and increases the chances for success--as opposed to being a "price gouging" strategy to line the pockets of the owner.

Yep.

http://blog.kimcorealty.com/2012/10/the-economics-of-crossfit-paying-premium-prices-to-be-in-pain/

TL;DR - I'll just assume that Crossfit gyms are gouging members with incoherently high prices.

Yup. $100-$150 per month around here. And they have "classes" so you have to get to a class at a certain time if you want to compete with the others in the class. I might try one on a groupon for LOLs but other than that

whoops

Not sure what you are trying to debate. You were debating that crossfit isn't that expensive then you post an article about how overpriced crossfit gyms are. lol
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »
    My understanding of the niche fitness business is that a key part of the business model is that it takes far fewer members to reach a break-even point if you have an attractive product. The initial capital investment is lower, overhead costs are lower, and members are willing to pay a higher price for the increased attention (which can also result in lower turnover rate). Starting a traditional club with a lot of equipment require a much larger volume of members. And unless you are a higher-end premium facility, you are usually competing on price with a bunch of other chains. It turns into a race to the bottom that needs a constant flow of new members to sustain.

A boutique club usually doesn't require anywhere near that much churn and burn.

I think the fact that the product might be "hot" right now drives the decision to open the business and increases the chances for success--as opposed to being a "price gouging" strategy to line the pockets of the owner.

Yep.

http://blog.kimcorealty.com/2012/10/the-economics-of-crossfit-paying-premium-prices-to-be-in-pain/

TL;DR - I'll just assume that Crossfit gyms are gouging members with incoherently high prices.

Yup. $100-$150 per month around here. And they have "classes" so you have to get to a class at a certain time if you want to compete with the others in the class. I might try one on a groupon for LOLs but other than that

whoops

Not sure what you are trying to debate. You were debating that crossfit isn't that expensive then you post an article about how overpriced crossfit gyms are. lol

whoops whoops

*pat pat*
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    and how much are the co-marketing costs?

They aren't spending on equipment, or staffing. Again, we go back to higher costs due to cult status and marketing costs. This isn't magic. It's done every day.

Exposed franchise fees are a simple $3k yearly plus some derptificate, that's fine. What are the other costs? Considering my one experience with having bought into a food franchise, those costs are fairly extreme, and come with requirements to pay for marketing, regional fees, management fees, logistical fees, etc. etc. etc.

Again, cult + marketing of cool = excessive membership charge.
    and how much are the co-marketing costs?

They aren't spending on equipment, or staffing. Again, we go back to higher costs due to cult status and marketing costs. This isn't magic. It's done every day.

Exposed franchise fees are a simple $3k yearly plus some derptificate, that's fine. What are the other costs? Considering my one experience with having bought into a food franchise, those costs are fairly extreme, and come with requirements to pay for marketing, regional fees, management fees, logistical fees, etc. etc. etc.

Again, cult + marketing of cool = excessive membership charge.

Crossfit is an affiliate, not a franchise. The difference being that you do not have the same level of requirement that you see in franchising.
    The crossfit boxes here do next to no marketing. One guy has his truck painted. They have signs on their building. That's about it.
    So then that's all pure profit.

No *kitten*.

I'm going to review this more in depth, $3k and a few fees to clean up? yeah bob.

Not so fast chief. Just because you waaaay estimated the franchise fees doesn't mean it's all profit. I think you're still failing to do a proper accounting of what it costs to run a gym and how many members you need to have to turn a profit.

But maybe next time a little research before accusing a company of soaking it's members just because.....made up reasons.

Cult costs are excessive, and why the average CF gym in my little slice of the outer rim is $150 a month for unlimited.

Back when I lived in Boston, one opened for the grand discount of $175 a month unlimited. At that price level, they're pricing out most folks, and ensuring that the in-house body count stays at a particular level, but it's pretty damn silly to think that they have to charge that much to run a gym.

They don't, it's the result of cult marketing pricing. It's even more obvious since the fees are so low, and apparently there aren't your average franchise co-marketing fees, management fees, etc. We're already seeing "knock offs" here, so it's only a matter of time before coherent pricing comes to the CF world.

wrong wrong wrong. like, record levels of wrongness in here. but i guess it's more fun to take jabs at CF than to try to write a functioning business plan?

1. $150 per month is cheap. dirt cheap
    2. you're not worried about pricing out a bunch of people, only pricing in your target audience.
    3. i charge $400 per month on average to run my gym and a couple of months back a client laughed in my face because she thought it was too cheap for what she was getting. she said she would have paid double.
    4. not only am i not a cult, no one in my local area knows who i am.
    5. you are comparing a boutique niche service to walmart pricing and you don't seem to realize it.

$150 is not dirt cheap for a Crossfit gym.

tumblr_mer4aqWr531qdoy3ao1_500.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what we are trying to sort out any more.

PS- that movie's awesome.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Snark his way out of a contradiction?
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Yes, I belong to a Gold's gym and every class is at capacity and all machines are filled afterwards. I just do my thing and know they will all fall off eventually :)
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    jesse1952 wrote: »
    If you work out at a fitness center do you notice a lot more people there trying to live out their New Years resolution to get in shape? Seems like the same thing happens every year.

I don't know what you see but I see "commitment".
  • DYELB
    Options

The contradiction that $150 is expensive for xfit membership?

I work in NYC and live upstate, so the numbers are definitely higher than average if you live in say Ohio, but it's not that far gone for say Boston or Cali.
    I pay $135 a month for unlimite karate lessons.
    I pay $72 a month for my gym near work, that's discounted down from the standard rate of I think $120 a month because of corporate whatever.
    I pay $60 a month for my gym near home.
    I have a strength coach that I go to to prep for powerlifting meets, he's about $2k for 30 sessions. A pack of sessions can last me about a year.
    I play rugby as well, and dues for that are $400 per year.

That's $5604 annually or about $108 a week

That's a lot, and I know I spend more than most on this kind of thing because of my interests and my means, but that weekly cost is less than what I'd spend in a night going out to the bars.

If you can't afford crossfit that's obviously fine, but this rant about the obnoxiously greedy stupid expensive and evil xfit is pretty asinine. Just let it be, people are paying that much, and they enjoy it. To them it's worth it, just like to me the stuff I do is worth $108 a week.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »

I work in NYC and live upstate, so the numbers are definitely higher than average if you live in say Ohio, but it's not that far gone for say Boston or Cali.
    I pay $72 a month for my gym near work, that's discounted down from the standard rate of I think $120 a month because of corporate whatever.
    I have a strength coach that I go to to prep for powerlifting meets, he's about $2k for 30 sessions. A pack of sessions can last me about a year.

That's a lot, and I know I spend more than most on this kind of thing because of my interests and my means, but that weekly cost is less than what I'd spend in a night going out to the bars.

If you can't afford crossfit that's obviously fine, but this rant about the obnoxiously greedy stupid expensive and evil xfit is pretty asinine. Just let it be, people are paying that much, and they enjoy it. To them it's worth it, just like to me the stuff I do is worth $108 a week.

I live in Seattle. So cost of living is pretty high. $150/month for crossfit is expensive IMHO.

Why?
    1) The setup is pretty basic
    2) What it takes to be xfit certified isn't that intensive.
    3) You have to go at X time because classes are scheduled such.
    4) Unless you want to do the same thing again, I believe xfit is only geared around a 3-4 per week schedule.

It might be okay if I could do other stuff there when I don't want to their classes but I have no idea of the bars/equipment are available if there is a class at the same time.

I already pay $100/month for a gym, so paying another $150 isn't logical to me. It would be better for me to set up the WOD at my current gym and find a way to do that vs joining another gym to do it.
  • DavPul
    Options

I live in Seattle. So cost of living is pretty high. $150/month for crossfit is expensive IMHO.

Why?
    4) Unless you want to do the same thing again, I believe xfit is only geared around a 3-4 per week schedule.

It might be okay if I could do other stuff there when I don't want to their classes but I have no idea of the bars/equipment are available if there is a class at the same time.

I already pay $100/month for a gym, so paying another $150 isn't logical to me. It would be better for me to set up the WOD at my current gym and find a way to do that vs joining another gym to do it.

Are you having trouble reading the many posts running down the costs on the business model? Are you having difficulty understanding that what is expensive or logical to you doesn't apply to every individual across the board? Are you incapable of comprehending that if you're spreading rent, utility, and maintenance costs across a smaller pool of members that those members will have a higher membership cost? Are you unable to delineate between "cost" and "value"?
  • JeffseekingV
    edited January 2015
    Options

Why?

Are you having trouble reading the many posts running down the costs on the business model? Are you having difficulty understanding that what is expensive or logical to you doesn't apply to every individual across the board? Are you incapable of comprehending that if you're spreading rent, utility, and maintenance costs across a smaller pool of members that those members will have a higher membership cost? Are you unable to delineate between "cost" and "value"?

Are you understanding the words coming out of my mouth? And the article you just posted too.
  • DavPul
    Options
    What part of the article spoke of price gouging members?
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What are we even talking about anymore
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Quote me where I said price gouging.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Quote me where I said price gouging.

Right there!

lawl sorry just having fun
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    haha. The article is trying to justify the costs by stating "it's like renting a personal trainer" and the big workout places rely on membership not showing up. I'd guess that all fitness places over book their membership because everyone knows the attendance rate is not 100%.

Like I said, it seems interesting but not $150/month interesting. Or better yet at $175 / month interesting like the article mentions.
  • DYELB
    Options

Why?

So you pay $100 a month to go to a gym and $150 is somehow a really big deal?

This is like ranting about name brand clothes or apple products. People pay it and like the stuff, who cares?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Why?

So you pay $100 a month to go to a gym and $150 is somehow a really big deal?

This is like ranting about name brand clothes or apple products. People pay it and like the stuff, who cares?

No. I'm paying $100 to go to a gym. Paying ANOTHER $150 for limited additional benefit = expensive.

What you are saying is like paying for a Honda civic and complaining about not wanting to pay for another Honda civic. I could actually afford another Honda Civic but it would be a complete waste of money to pay twice for the essentially the same thing.

That is why I said "it might be okay if I could go and do other stuff when I'm not doing WOD" Why? Because then I could justify quitting one gym and paying for the xfit gym. But I doubt it because my Y has bball courts, swim center, cardio machines etc... things that the typical xfit does not have.