Foods that sound great but disappoint?

Options

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's funny reading all the different takes on things. My favourite food is avocado and I rarely go a day without eating it. Generally (like tonight) I just put a big chunk of it on a plate along with dinner. When I was younger I added salt and pepper but the older I've got the more I like it just plain.

I'm with all the celery haters though. I eat pretty much every green vegie going but not celery.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Is there any food you've been really looking forward to eat but end up being disappointing?

For me, oatmeal. I keep thinking of toppings and ways to make it good, or trying new kinds of oatmeal, and it sounds so good... and ends up tasting like cardboard (Trader Joe's pumpkin pecan oatmeal is ok though).

And Greek yogurt with protein powder. Tried it after people said it tasted like chocolate pudding. Clearly those people have never had good chocolate pudding.

:( to the Greek yogurt/protein powder. It is NOT good. At all. Ditto to oatmeal w/ protein powder mixed in. Or just about any protein powder recipe other than shake form.

I'll just eat my non-exciting plain oatmeal w/ splash of milk and drink my protein shake separate. At least I'm accustomed to those bland, boring tastes.

Ugh I tried overnight oats with quick oats & some other ingredients & it tasted like nothing most of the time. The worst was the Brownie Batter oatmeal I made.
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero Ice cream. Sounds REALLY good, 150 calories for a whole pint of ice cream, but it taste absolutely disgusting. I might as well eat a piece of cardboard.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Grits. It would have been better for me to just ask for the oatmeal.
    whoa, they probably did it wrong then.

so you cook those grits up with a little fresh sage, butter, parmesan, and bacon fat.

Then, you top those grits with grilled shrimp and fiddleheads, or lacking those, asparagus tops.

That wouldn't help for me. I'm happy eating grits (or polenta) only if there's enough cheese in them to make any sane person wonder why they just didn't serve me cheese sauce.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Any egg nog flavored item, ever. It always tastes like the cheap stuff in the carton, which just disgusts me.

Eta: including talenti egg nog gelato. Took a taste, and into the trash it went.

Any food made with protein powder. Some recipes rise to the level of edible, but none are ever anywhere close to whatever food they're trying to dupe.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I second mug cakes, always a waste of calories when I try them...

The one I tried just tasted like a scrambled egg with chocolate. Gross!
  • adge1475
    adge1475 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Tried to make a "Protein Mug Cake" from a Pinterest recipe. It was a mistake. Just ended up tasting like scrambled eggs with strawberry flavoring...yuech...
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I hate Pop-Tarts. I'm sorry, this might get me kicked off MFP but it's true. I think the crusts taste like cardboard and the fillings are not good enough to make up for it, and that sad hard icing is the worst. too.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats.....nasty mushy, disgusting texture. I just cant get over it. I like instant oats, lol!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Oh, and greek yogurt. Again....the texture is nasty! And I hate the waxy feeling coating your mouth after eating it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I hate Pop-Tarts. I'm sorry, this might get me kicked off MFP but it's true. I think the crusts taste like cardboard and the fillings are not good enough to make up for it, and that sad hard icing is the worst. too.

I bought some yesterday because my kids have been pestering me. I found one in the trash. Asked my kids why, and my son said it was disgusting. I didn't know whether to be annoyed or proud (it's the chocolate flavor, if it helps).
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    mojo705 wrote: »
    avacado ... :'( they made me wretch and i dont even have a gag reflex :s

You people with the avocado hatred have obviously never had a burger with bacon and avocado. OMG so good.
  • vddamico84
    vddamico84 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    French fries. All I taste is salt and sogginess
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    jagi410 wrote: »
    The pretzel crust pizza from Little Caesars was a huge disappointment.

Totally agree.
  • Francl27
    Options
    vddamico84 wrote: »
    French fries. All I taste is salt and sogginess

Agreed for 90% of the fries I've tried in the last 2 years!
  • stukawife
    stukawife Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I put all kinds of things in my oatmeal, wheat germ and strawberries are the best. Bananas, maple syrup, raisens. and chia seeds. All of this can go in yogurt greek or otherwise.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Oreos are disgusting. The "cream" isn't cream. I never liked them and my hatred only worsened when I saw a show on how they are made. Nauseating.

Cinnabon always smells so wonderful so I tried it not long ago. So nasty. A bland chewy roll that was drowning in a slimy gelatinous goop that tasted like hyper sweet cornstarch. My friend tasted it thinking maybe I had a bad one and said it was great lol. So gross. And this was before I started healthier eating.

Now that I am eating healthier, most processed things are overly sweet, and/or salty, and taste of chemicals. It doesn't taste like food all.
  • CatDeeDeeDee
    CatDeeDeeDee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Twinkies. I've seen them in films and TV since I was a child and was so excited to finally have one, not disgusting, just disappointing :(

This. Never understood the hype behind them and never will.

• Francl27
    Options
    stukawife wrote: »
    I put all kinds of things in my oatmeal, wheat germ and strawberries are the best. Bananas, maple syrup, raisens. and chia seeds. All of this can go in yogurt greek or otherwise.

Ok wheat germ and strawberries sounds good!