So here's a gym 'etiquette' question

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Trying to ninja it is creepier I would think. Being open about what you're doing (even if you're lying about the reason why) I would think decreases the "creepiness" factor by maybe a fraction of a percent. Maybe even a whole percent. But that's about it.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Option 2 is creepier.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Wow. Where are these gyms that interesting stories like these happen? The second one sounds like someone with zero game. Then again I am sure for him it might work on a day where a girl feels ugly . Think about it. You think this was his first time ever saying I want to take a photo of that girl's butt while squatting? I would say no.

This was me- at my gym- last night- a guy I know- he was from my old gym- so we talk every once in a while- but we aren't really friends- acquaintances.... anyway- yeah- he tried to take a picture and then tried to polish the turd by saying it was for his instagram page about beautiful girls or whatever. I think what was even worse is he showed me a picture- and it was this frothy thonged *kitten* in a jacuzzi- like don't play it off like it's for inspiring people when it's for adding to an *kitten* page..... like that's a different ball of wax.
    1. Both are equally creepy
    2. Both are equally okay
    3. I agree the guy is a dbag
    4. I agree the second one is a flirting attempt
    5. The gym is a public place and there are no privacy laws in effect
    6. No harm, no foul
    7. Ever watch a #gymfails video or share a don't skip leg day meme? Do we think those are taken and shared with knowledge and permission?

Yeah that's kind of how I feel about it- and I kind of feel like he should have just kept his mouth shut... I'd rather just not know.

secondly- no dating at the gym. ever. never ever ever. single- not single- and I never use my BF as an excuse- I don't date people from my gym. nope nope nope nope nope.

See he got someone with this gimmick. This guy sure does act like a teenager though.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    This would make me feel grim. Just because a person is in a public place performing a certain activity which others can see, this doesn't give anyone the right to photograph/make comments about her body or whatever.

Like another poster said, some individuals have issues/events in their past which would mean their interpretation of the event Jo experienced would be totally different to feeling a bit uncomfortable and objectified. It amazes me that that guy actually came out and said that, as if it was a normal thing to do and Jo might be flattered by it. The world is full of all kinds of people.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Wow. Where are these gyms that interesting stories like these happen? The second one sounds like someone with zero game. Then again I am sure for him it might work on a day where a girl feels ugly . Think about it. You think this was his first time ever saying I want to take a photo of that girl's butt while squatting? I would say no.

This was me- at my gym- last night- a guy I know- he was from my old gym- so we talk every once in a while- but we aren't really friends- acquaintances.... anyway- yeah- he tried to take a picture and then tried to polish the turd by saying it was for his instagram page about beautiful girls or whatever. I think what was even worse is he showed me a picture- and it was this frothy thonged *kitten* in a jacuzzi- like don't play it off like it's for inspiring people when it's for adding to an *kitten* page..... like that's a different ball of wax.
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul
    7. Ever watch a #gymfails video or share a don't skip leg day meme? Do we think those are taken and shared with knowledge and permission?

Yeah that's kind of how I feel about it- and I kind of feel like he should have just kept his mouth shut... I'd rather just not know.

secondly- no dating at the gym. ever. never ever ever. single- not single- and I never use my BF as an excuse- I don't date people from my gym. nope nope nope nope nope.

See he got someone with this gimmick. This guy sure does act like a teenager though.

not sure it was a picture he took honestly- there was no proof- it was more a sample. and while it was a nice *kitten*- it was like... um. okay.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Trying to ninja it is creepier I would think. Being open about what you're doing (even if you're lying about the reason why) I would think decreases the "creepiness" factor by maybe a fraction of a percent. Maybe even a whole percent. But that's about it.

This is my feeling on it, as well. If he's outright telling you that he wants to take your picture, he's not hiding much/anything. Heck - there's the (slim) chance he might actually be telling you the truth about why he wants the picture. Creepy? Sure. But at least he's being upfront about it.

But that's just me.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    This would make me feel grim. Just because a person is in a public place performing a certain activity which others can see, this doesn't give anyone the right to photograph/make comments about her body or whatever.

Like another poster said, some individuals have issues/events in their past which would mean their interpretation of the event Jo experienced would be totally different to feeling a bit uncomfortable and objectified. It amazes me that that guy actually came out and said that, as if it was a normal thing to do and Jo might be flattered by it. The world is full of all kinds of people.

Which is why I feel this was not his first time do and succeeding in this gimmick for his personal pleasure and others. A girl with low self esteem might feel flattered like wow someone finds me this attractive to photo me on some bs page with other attractive people so men can follow pages. The page won't be title women who can squat a lot though.

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »

Which is why I feel this was not his first time do and succeeding in this gimmick for his personal pleasure and others. A girl with low self esteem might feel flattered like wow someone finds me this attractive to photo me on some bs page with other attractive people so men can follow pages. The page won't be title women who can squat a lot though.

Probably right. Only takes one poor girl to agree, then this guy takes it as a blanket invitation to carry on.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Both are equally creepy to me, but at least option 2 gives you a less awkward way of confronting it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather not know because knowing (is half the battle, hehe) would make me feel very self conscious.

My weirdo BIL took covert pics of girls on the beach years ago and I gave him a tongue lashing for it. Granted he's got some mental health issues but him not realizing how creepy that was still disturbed me a bit. Hopefully he's grown out of that behavior by now.
  • mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Folks out there in interland.... I have a question for you all

Which of the following rates higher on the "you're effing creepy" scale?

> at the gym trying to ninja take a picture of a girl (or guy- not gender bias) in this case- specially while squatting.

or

> trying to take the picture while they are squatting- or waiting for the next set and then saying- oh I was waiting for you to squat again so I could get a picture for my instagram page beautiful girls bla bla bla... you know "to inspire someone"

So we all know the actual answer is- don't be a d!ck taking pictures of girls a$$es while they squat- but... if you're GOING to do it- which one is more or less socially acceptable/creepy??

Discuss.

Have him/her kicked out of the gym for taking photos!!!!! Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Another reason that makes working out at home preferable to the gym.
  • 7seas_sailing
    7seas_sailing Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that they're both creepy. I noticed that you asked about gym etiquette - not legalities. My thoughts are that there are enough pics of women's @**es on the internet for just about anything he would need. Etiquette would dictate not ever taking someone's photo in the gym at all unless they were really good friends. In fact, I work out with a couple of close friends who are women, and I can't ever imagine asking them about taking their photo in a compromising position. One of them asked one of the other ladies to help her with taking before and after pics, but I can't ever imagine me, being male, ever being asked at all.

Bottom line, taking pics like this, and in this situation, is wrong. Asking you about it is just plain stupid and immature. Just my thoughts.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I would definitely make him delete it while in my presence.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Folks out there in interland.... I have a question for you all

Which of the following rates higher on the "you're effing creepy" scale?

> at the gym trying to ninja take a picture of a girl (or guy- not gender bias) in this case- specially while squatting.

or

> trying to take the picture while they are squatting- or waiting for the next set and then saying- oh I was waiting for you to squat again so I could get a picture for my instagram page beautiful girls bla bla bla... you know "to inspire someone"

So we all know the actual answer is- don't be a d!ck taking pictures of girls a$$es while they squat- but... if you're GOING to do it- which one is more or less socially acceptable/creepy??

Discuss.

Neither you creep.,

• yopeeps025
    edited January 2015
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    bw_conway wrote: »
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

I disagree that it is okay – this is a private business, not a place where the general public can just crash, and you can be told to leave at the discretion of management. OP is paying to be there and has the right not to be harassed. Put your sister, girlfriend or wife in OP’s position – do you want some dirt bag snapping pics of her while she squats?

This creepiness is why we can’t have nice things, and why “female only” workout areas are becoming more prevalent (they recently put up a curtain in the yoga area in a gym I go to keep rubberneckers from gawking).

What I want and what's legally actionable are not one and the same. The gym floor is not the same as the gym locker room. My sister, girlfriend, wife, and Jo are all fully clothed and in a public space. The camera takes an image of something they did in public and were fully okay with all eyes around them viewing. You ever go on vacation and take photos? Did you get signed permission from all the people in the background of the images you posted on your Facebook page? If those random people knew they in your Facebook Facebook photos, do you think they would be happy about that? Do you care?

Tl;dr: it's not cool, but no one is dead.

*waits patiently for excitable claims that every person whose image is posted on the Internet is marked for death by a serial killer*

I didn’t say anyone did anything illegal. But if illegality is the only standard for judging behavior, society is in big trouble.

The gym is not a public place, it is a private business. If you doubt this, try to walk in and start exercising without paying. There is a distinction between expectations of privacy on a public beach / park / street and privacy in privately owned areas – behavior can be restricted on private property (like gyms, restaurants, malls, etc.). People don’t have an expectation of having other gym members take pictures of them while working out – the creeps that do it should knock it off or be reported to management.

Not to hijack thread. I just want to say something. One time I was at a club dancing with this girl who I think was the birthday girl. I remember looking to the left seeing cameras flashing. I was like WTF at first. I used to look online like maybe I will see myself with this random girl. We danced for a pretty long time to which she like and commented about. After that I figure that these pics are for her bday so I was not so butthurt about it after that. It is still different to take photos of people you don't know.

I call an acquaintance someone I don't know to bring this back to the OP.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that there are enough pics of women's @**es on the internet for just about anything he would need.

There are never enough pics of female derrieres.

Not saying that this was OK, really. Just pointing out your mistake. :D
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

How would you do that?
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

How would you do that?

How do you think? If he didn't want to, I'm pretty sure I'm quick enough to grab the phone out of his hand and delete it for him.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    2. Both are equally okay
    The university gym I go to forbids cameras, so neither would be ok there.