So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What sort of running pace are we talking for C25K week one ?
    15 min miles, slower , faster ?

I have tried running and I naturally start running at about 9 min mile pace anything else seems too slow but I cant sustain this pace for very long.

I ask as I would love to take up running again after a long break,with a view to doing The Kielder 10k by Oct 2015.

I used to run many years ago but a fight against cancer put an end to that and ive only just got back into fitness and weight loss (10kg loss so far :) )
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    DeeTee68 wrote: »

I have tried running and I naturally start running at about 9 min mile pace anything else seems too slow but I cant sustain this pace for very long.

I ask as I would love to take up running again after a long break,with a view to doing The Kielder 10k by Oct 2015.

I used to run many years ago but a fight against cancer put an end to that and ive only just got back into fitness and weight loss (10kg loss so far :) )

Glad to hear you're still with us. Your 10K goal is achievable as long as you keep yourself from getting injured.

Run slowly enough to get the job done. A mile is a mile regardless of speed. If you get so out of breath you can't hold a conversation (in theory) with someone next to you, slow down. The only thing you should be concerned as a C25K runner is to move in running mode rather than walking, as there is only those two forms to choose between.
  • DeeTee68
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ok thanks for advice :) I am going to start the C25K on Tuesday.
  • AndyTwoSlow
    Options
    maybe it's buried in the 19 pages somewhere between here and the original post but the one thing that really changed my running from "running" to "training" was getting a heart rate monitor.

Think of it like a tachometer for your car. It tells you how hard you're really working, not how hard it feels like your working.

Turns out, once I started using it and understanding what it was telling me, I was running too hard. I thought if I could just keep X pace and get Y miles in so-many minutes, I'd get better. I was wrong, I was only hurting my progress.

As for programs, I really like Podrunner's First Day to 5k, Gateway to 8k, etc. Only because when i started running I didn't have a smartphone so I couldn't get apps. Podrunner was just MP3s to download and play on my dumb phone.
  • DeeTee68
    Options
    Done my first day, week one on the C25K today I went a little bit over what was recommended on the plans I managed to keep going for 40 mins as I already have a good base fitness spinning and fast trail walking. I must stick to the plan though as I know to much to soon will lead to injury, just enjoyed it so much I couldn't stop B)
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    DeeTee68 wrote: »

Running slower is sometimes harder than running faster. ;) Keep this in mind. But running slower builds a base, correct form, and reduces the risk of injury. If you naturally start around a 9-minute mile, I'd be running C25K at 10-11-minute miles.

One running coach says that running 10 percent of your training miles too slow will have a better outcome than running 5 percent of them too fast.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to run my second half marathon....any advice?? I didn't train properly the first time, and although I finished and ran the whole time, I know I can do better!
  • jessihansen50
    jessihansen50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering what's the best after run food?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to run my second half marathon....any advice?? I didn't train properly the first time, and although I finished and ran the whole time, I know I can do better!

Train properly this time.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Something delicious.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

Something delicious.

Beer.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Something delicious.

Beer.

That's what I said.
  • oblongmcginty
    Options
    Hello! I am a new oldie. Signed up ages ago. I'm finally getting somewhere now, I've lost about 50lbs total. I started running a few months ago using a C25K app and finished it this week! All I'll say is if I can do it anybody can.

My question is: what's the best way to move on after the C25K programme - I can run for 30 minutes without stopping now (very slowly), it's not 5k yet. I'm thinking I just need to keep doing more miles, as suggested in the first post. Does anyone have a recommendation for an app to use to continue my training? I enjoyed having the nice lady talking to me.

Thank you.
  • Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me rethink running. I never considered it because it seemed so hard, and I was afraid it would damage my knees in the long run (no pun intended).

So...could one run into their elder years, as Ernestine Shepherd (one of my heroes!) has kept up her bodybuilding into her late 70s? Or is this something you have to give up by the time you hit your 60s or 70s due to the pounding on the joints (knees, hips)?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Train properly this time.

Succinct advice...and also correct. The best thing you can do is build up consistency. Hit those weekly mileage goals. Long runs for endurance, speed runs to work on your kick, easy mid-week runs to get stronger. Find a plan (Hal Higdon, Runners World Smart Coach, etc), and stick to it.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

Usually anything with a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein. But it also depends on the length of your runs. I won't eat anything special if I'm running under an hour. If I run before breakfast, this usually means I re-fuel with an omelet and some fruit or toast. After long runs I will make a protein shake with fruit in it, in addition to whatever I'm normally eating.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    Hello! I am a new oldie. Signed up ages ago. I'm finally getting somewhere now, I've lost about 50lbs total. I started running a few months ago using a C25K app and finished it this week! All I'll say is if I can do it anybody can.

My question is: what's the best way to move on after the C25K programme - I can run for 30 minutes without stopping now (very slowly), it's not 5k yet. I'm thinking I just need to keep doing more miles, as suggested in the first post. Does anyone have a recommendation for an app to use to continue my training? I enjoyed having the nice lady talking to me.

Thank you.

I believe there is a "Bridge to 10k" app that uses the same nice lady. However, it might drop you down to running intervals again. If you don't want to do that, then just keep increasing the length of your long run, no more than 10% each week (and actually you can do less than that when first building up).
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    Yawnetu wrote: »
    This thread makes me rethink running. I never considered it because it seemed so hard, and I was afraid it would damage my knees in the long run (no pun intended).

So...could one run into their elder years, as Ernestine Shepherd (one of my heroes!) has kept up her bodybuilding into her late 70s? Or is this something you have to give up by the time you hit your 60s or 70s due to the pounding on the joints (knees, hips)?

If you train properly, there is no reason why you cannot run into your 70s and beyond. Studies indicate that the people who starts running properly (i.e - does not try to do too much too soon, and that are uninjured to begin with) actually have less of an incidence of arthritis than those who do not run.

npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees

runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/running-might-protect-against-knee-osteoarthritis

Basically, being overweight and inactive is far, far worse for your knees than running ever will be.
  • oblongmcginty
    Options

I believe there is a "Bridge to 10k" app that uses the same nice lady. However, it might drop you down to running intervals again. If you don't want to do that, then just keep increasing the length of your long run, no more than 10% each week (and actually you can do less than that when first building up).

Thank you, I don't fancy doing intervals again, it temporarily dropped me down to an interval day once when I'd been running continuously and I actually found it more difficult.

BTW is there any way to get this message board to email one when somebody replies, because I didn't know you had replied until I came back today. Thanks.

• DeeTee68
    edited January 2015
    Options

BTW is there any way to get this message board to email one when somebody replies, because I didn't know you had replied until I came back today. Thanks.

Go to My Home then Settings then Change email address/email preferences and tick your preference