WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203569501022681&l=5e7f760ff6

If it worked, this is the picture of my son with his cousin at the Junior Gold Bowling Tournament yesterday.
  • wildfiremoons666
    Options
    Sylvia I am from Virginia. Thanks for the kind words. I will be back a lot. I like this place.

Shanyn

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 13.41min, 13.1mph 3mi = 95cal
    spin- 45min, 84ar 118aw, 11-15g, 18.6mi = 381cal
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.47min, 12.4amph, 1.5mi = 88cal
    ride dome 2 hm- 17.46cal, 9.1amph, 2.7mi = 196cal
    total cal = 760cal
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Terri

If you click on the web site your picture shows. Very handsome!
  • bumblebeejec
    bumblebeejec Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I just deleted what I was writing before. . . ugh!!!
    Enjoyed reading your stories today.
    I had a lazy day and didn't make much progress with my energy level, but had a pretty good food day so all was not lost.
    Welcome wildfiremoons666. . . I am new too, as are many of the others I have read about. Hopefully, we can all learn from each other. Sounds like you have had a lot of bad stuff to deal with in your life. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep doing the next right thing. That is what I work on doing even when I screw up yet another time. It's the best we can do. Together we'll get to our goals.
    Thanks for all of the great quotes and smiles today to all!
    Judy in PA
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

*Joyce, I’m not crazy about Green Tea by itself, so now when I make tea I use half Green and half regular. It makes great iced tea. (a US Southern Delicacy).

*Heather, good for you getting through your exercises when you felt off. It really takes an effort sometimes and you did great.

**I hope all of you in the path of this next winter storm stay safe and warm. It’s good to look at the snow as an opportunity for exercise while shoveling. I think my word for next month is going to be “opportunity”.

*Shanyn, welcome to the group. You will find this a great place for support and information. It’s great that your fiancée thinks you are sexy. He might just go crazy when you lose the weight and have more energy.  Good luck.

*CP, welcome. We are happy to have you with us. It sounds like you know exactly what needs to be done and now you have all of us for support. Good luck. You can do this!

*Gail, I’m glad to hear that you are recovering nicely and not in pain. Just don’t overdo.

*Tammy
    , welcome back. I’m sorry to hear about you Mom. I hope she is better now. Just hang in there and take it one day at a time and you can do this. Good luck.

*pip, great post.(Not a rant at all) I totally agree that if I am going to have some decadent, calorie filled item, it sure better be something I love. It’s easier to just say No Thanks and be happy with the scale. (and it didn’t sound like you were picking on anyone to me.)

*klpeters, welcome. We are happy to have you join us. This is a great place for support. Good for you to quit smoking. Now it’s on to eating right and exercising. Good luck.

*Krieter, welcome. It sounds like you have a difficult road ahead, but you seem to have the right map. In here you will find support and lots of interesting information. Take it one day at a time and keep doing what you are doing. You can do this.

*"What you EAT in PRIVATE is what you WEAR in PUBLIC” I like this one, too and how true. I for one am tired of what I’ve been wearing in public.

*Viki, Good grief at all your sad news. My heart goes out to you and my prayers are with you and them.

Greetings to any Newbies that I missed. We are happy to have you here and hope you come by often.

Pip, way to go. That is a nice addition to the app.

*Meg, great loss. Keep up the great work.

I felt fine when I got up this morning but after breakfast when it came time for my exercise, I just wasn't feeling it. I sat down for just a few minutes and then got my butt up and got started. After just a short time, it wasn't that bad so I kept going and did 100 extra repetitions. I love it when things turn out. :smiley:

My word for the of the month is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone.... finally caught up.

Jmkmomm “when you speak of curling, is that the Olympic sport where you are using that big stone thing? It looks really heavy and very precise. “ Yes that is it. And yes they are heavy… not necessarily am I precise. Lol… thank you.

Grandmallie – I hope you weather the storm okay

And to all the other people in the path of the storm along the eastern states and provinces ...... stay safe. Our snow is almost gone, we are due for more rain tonight…

Pipcd34 – excellent rant. I get so criticized when I won’t eat the latest calories laden desert. People just don’t understand the pain I would go through the next day after eating all that sugar. The headache and the pain in my legs….And oh yes – those cheezies I like to have… wow …let’s not go there!!

Must go - I haven't made my lunch for work tomorrow...

Lillian in Saskatchewan
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback on my earlier comment. Have a good nite all.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    smiley-cool05.gif It took awhile but now my darling hubby buys me no food treats, ever. One Valentine's Day he bought dumbbells and for another occasion he bought me ankle weights.

smiley-sleep012.gif I go to bed very early almost every night and get up very early to walk my dogs so there are no distractions from people, dogs, cars, or bicycles. We love the privacy of walking in the dark. I listen to music and inspirational speakers through Bluetooth headphones and the 90 minute walk passes pleasantly.

smiley-happy110.gifOne day at a time, I've built an eating plan that has definite boundaries. It makes it easy to decide what to eat and what to refuse. This journey is a life and death matter for me and I take it very seriously.

:D I asked the osteoporosis doctor what she thought about wearing a weighted vest and she recommended against it.

smiley-happy020.gif We got up extra early this morning so I'd have time for dog walking before an early meeting. Then we went to the chiropractor, the drug store to transfer prescriptions, grocery store, dropped off our ballots, bank, and post office. Then we could spend time at home together for me to ride the exercise bike while we watched our DVR recordings of the Screen Actors Guild Awards and the US Figure Skating Championships.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif20,000 steps today--almost three hours of dog walking, exercise bike

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

My quote for 2015 (and the last five years)---The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

January Resolutions
    *walk 18,500 steps a day
    *strength training twice a week smiley-sport017.gif
    *review our will and documents of personal information
    *don't expect praise or recognition
    *learn and teach two new dances253149qtzkf0ld22.gif

146200.png
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did about 15 minutes of the "Fit in a Flash" DVD, held my plank for 2 min 40 sec and then the extremepump class. Tomorrow's plan is to do incline intervals on the treadmill.

Janet
    - in many ways, I don't enjoy eating out, either. Well...I don't mind it at certain places, but many times you have to be real specific as to what you want (no butter) and then you have to hope against hope that they follow what you ask for. I've returned things to the kitchen when it was way off from what I ordered. I'm so sorry about your back

Kim - my guy needs more than "hints" of what to get me, he needs to have me come right out and tell him exactly what it is I want or else I need to buy it. Like I really love the band TSO, I thought he'd pick up on it. I didn't get concert tickets until Jessica said something to him! We've been going to see them every year since then and it's been about 10 or 12 years we've gone (sometimes multiple times)

Joyce
    - I usually can go to my freezer and find the cake I want -- mainly because I don't keep a lot of cakes in there!!! lol I just took the pineapple/angelfood one out of the freezer last night, right now there aren't any in there (which suits me just fine). I don't know if I told you this, but a few years ago this one guy who was on my bowling team, he was a really mild lovely guy but he had parkinsons and altzheimers. Well, he and his wife went to church. He said to her that he wasn't feeling well and he was going to the bathroom. When he didn't come back in a bit, his wife went after him. Seems he'd had a heart attack in the bathroom! How horrible that must have been for his wife. But it also may have been a blessing in disguise, at least he hasn't gotten to the point where he didn't remember who she was. Good for you staying out of those PopTarts!

Viv - good for you doing your exercises before logging in. I usually do mine before I log in, too.

Alison and Rita and twhitehead - PLEASE stay safe! It was a very very great day when we sold our house in PA with those words "snowblower included"

Mary - what a visual -- you on the floor gnawing away at that block of chocolate. Thanks for the smile.

wildfiremoons
    - welcome! So sorry you've had so much loss lately. Come in for lots of support. Hold onto that fiancee!!!! Talk away.

Mary - I find that even if I'm below on calories for the day, if I snack at night, I can be guaranteed of a gain the next day. The Wii did mention to have tofu or applesauce, and when I have that, I don't seem to gain. Weird, huh?

CP - you're on your way! You've learned (like we all did) that "diets don't work". So glad to have ya

fitgranny
    - this is what worked for me. I was a lover of sweets, especially desserts. But I started having a silken tofu blended with UNSWEETENED chocolate. It took a few days (well, weeks really) but now I don't have as much of a desire for something sweet. At first, I admit, the tofu/cocoa mixture tasted bitter. Now it doesn't bother me nearly as much.

Tammy - welcome back!

Laurie - welcome and congrats on quitting smoking

krieter - welcome! Sounds like you have a great plan. Congrats on the loss

Terri - thanks for the info about the vest. Can't wait to see what your aunt has to say. What ds's PT said makes sense

Vicki - sorry for all the upset in your life right now. Glad you had a good time at the party

Meg
    - that was something about your car! I can just imagine it

Came home from exercising, Vince went to an eye MD appt for a follow-up from his cataract surgery. They put drops in his eyes, he wasn't expecting that. Went to senior bowling then home for dinner and went to mahjongg. I actually got one of the "singles and pairs". I've never in my life done them before.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia I can just see your studio and you text in cyber space all having a pot party!
    Kim shame on those church members not just asking to sit next to you and introducing themselves. Church members are supposed to be friendly
    Meg we used to have an old lady who was the pillar of our church and she had 'her' seat. Well one Sunday a visitor came in with a big family and took the whole pew. They kept on coming and satin her pew and it became their pew. Well the little old lady developed a real bad sinus infection. I truly believe her immune system was all messed up because she didn't have her spot. She even kept her pew Bible there in that spot. I must admit that I sit in the same spot. The first day I went to this new church a lady came up and introduced herself. the next Sunday I sat with her and have just continued. Some one said that their tenors had to sing bass this past Sunday. I have a low enough alto voice that I can sing the tenor if needed. But the choir director is a stickler for rules. So I sing my alto. Sometimes the other low altos do drop down an octave when we can't reach a high note.

This man who died of a massive heart attack died at home. He was only 52 and it was his second heart attack. His other one was 12 years ago.

So many new women here today! Glad you are here to go on this wonderful journey with us. We help you and you help us. As you can already read, we help in more ways than jsut our food we eat.

word for 2015: choice

Joyce, Indiana
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi dear friends <3

Marking my spot for later, I have done my exercises but now don't have time to post. :( I am up to date though with reading thank goodness.

Welcome newcomers.

Just want to say take care to those who are in the path of the storm, sounds like it's going to be a hard few days according to the news. Be safe!

First day back at work after my long weekend off. I'm working a 5 day week next week as my colleague Jane is going on holiday. She really deserves the break as she's been holding the fort since end of October. But I will find it hard to work a full week so will miss her (very selfish of me I know :\ )

Must stop rambling and get ready.

Viv York UK
  • MeredithDoyle85
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just joined a few days ago, and would like the support as I live alone. I turned 60 last December 2014. I live in Queensland Australia. I started off at 77.1 kg (169.62 lb) on Jan 22, I am 5'4", Yesterday I weighed 75.4kg (165.88 lb). My weight goal is to get to 58kg, 127.6 lbs.

I am a couch potato by nature and have started to do 10,000 steps a day which I am doing on my treadmill (we are in summer and it is bloody hot outside) with intermittent jogging for one minute every 5 minutes, three to four times in the 30 minutes, I am doing this twice a day at this stage.

I am also doing intermittent fasting, I start eating at 5 in the afternoon and can eat until 10.00 in the evening. I usually have a huge salad, and often a smoothie a short time after that for dinner. All is good so far but sometimes I struggle waiting till 5 pm. I do my excercises before I eat, which I am told helps you loose wait fast.. You can google "fast 5". I think an American doctor wrote it.

Well I wish every one well on their weight loss journey and hope all our Gould are met. I hope to interact with you over the next few months and thanks for starting this post Barbiecat...
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Yanniejannie: herding dogs (Border Collies anyway) usually have short, British-like names (even if not in Britain), like Cap, Tess, Yip, etc. Mine does too. Probably a tradition originating in being able to say a name fast to address the dog. I did know a Border Collie called Fedex, though. His mother was pregnant and they thought the puppies were several days out, but suddenly Fedex plopped out. :smiley:

Vicki: {{hugs}} I would have bought out the Ben & Jerry’s section if I’d had a day like that.

Kim: you’re right; it was good to talk to the trainer. Though I didn’t go there feeling proud.

Wildfiremoons: you can edit within an hour if you hover your cursor above the upper right-hand corner of your post; a gear will appear. Click that and then the text 'edit'.

Meg: you crack me up!

I hope everyone dealing with the storm is safe.

Will be working some today and going to get my hair cut later.

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    morning ladies!
    well we have about 18 inches so far with winds and drifting snow.nobody aloud on the roads except for plows and emergency vehicles.. we got right out there early and cleared the deck and made a path for the boys, and they went out and did there business .. Tom and I will be out snowblowing and shoveling soon ,and then go out and do it again...
    hope Rita and her crew and TWhitehead and her family are safe and sound,,,,
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    at least we still have power~~
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Baby day.Wish I could be with my daughter today.Can`t wait to see pics.
    Have a good tues
    hugs
    jane
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, dear friends. I was happy to see that at least some parts of the NE didn't get as much snow as predicted. I know some of you have more than you want and you are in my thoughts.
    This reminded me of when my back problems began. We lived in Milwaukee from 1971 to 1980. That was pre-snow blower days. The snows were often heavy and we had a long driveway that had to be shoveled by hand. My DH traveled for business and often as the only one at home, the shoveling duties fell to me. I especially remember when I was pregnant how much my low back would hurt when out shoveling for what seemed like hours. If I knew then, what I know now, my form may have been a bit better, thus avoiding some of the pain. But what I remember most is how cold it was and that I'd have to go inside to warm up before going back out for more.. burrrrrrr Sorry for the trip down memory lane. lol

It's time to do my exercise. I'll check in on all of you later. Be safe out there.

My word for the of the month is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I am a grandma again-Jaelyn was born this am.She wts 6 lbs 7 oz and 19 in long.Looks like her mom,has dark hair.
    hugs
    jane
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My son, his roommate and their girlfriends all come to my house for Sunday dinner. One of the girls was helping me cook and looked at me in tears. She says "do I look obese to you?" (She is chubby but not grossly overweight). I had to stop and hug her for a minute. Sometimes those terms we use are so hurtful. We talked some about how she could cut out some junk food and soda and try to eat more fruits and veggies instead. Just that alone would really make a big difference for her. We looked up what her "normal" weight range should be. Then we dug through some of my old exercise videos and she thought they look fun (like dancing) so she borrowed some. My heart just ached for her.

So I will make sure she eats well and balanced at my table and encourage her as much as I can. And tell her she is beautiful!

Diana in Indiana