21 Day sugar detox

Options

Replies

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Sugar/carbohydrate consumption is not linked to insulin resistance either. Here's what NIH's National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) has to say on the subject: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/#causes The only mention of sugar/carbohydrates comes in the explanation of what insulin is.

Sugar and Alzheimer's... are you referring to the Japanese study on blocking the enzyme BACE1? Alzheimer’s disease is caused by the formation of atypical Aβ plaques in the brain when the molecule APP is abnormally cut by the enzyme BACE1. The study blocked BACE1 from cleaving APP. This has nothing to do with dietary sugar.

You are not "addicted" to carbs and sugar. Omitting any food group increases your likelihood of failure because you don't learn how to develop healthy relationships with those foods. The world will continue to contain refined sugars and carbohydrates. Without learning moderation, you're setting yourself up for failure.

giphy.gif

Yes. So much this. Thank you.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    megthehen wrote: »
    I am a little shocked that there are people still walking around saying that sugar does not cause weight gain. Have you not heard of type 2 diabetes. Refined carbohydrate and sugar are absolutely the cause of this. Of course, I don't think I can eat 5000 calories a day and lose weight just by not getting those calories form sugar. I stated in my post that I will stick to my fitness pals calorie goal. I am just attempting to eliminate refined sugar from my diet because I am borderline diabetic and I have massive carb cravings. I have tried every low fat high carb diet known to man without success. I am 30% overweight and lightly active. I walk a lot. I have read plenty of books and articles about how eliminating sugar and refined carbs and replacing these with fats will help with weight loss. I was just asking if anyone had done this 21 day sugar detox programme and actually not lost any weight. I intend to follow this for 21 days and see if I feel any better. Energy wise, weight loss wise and generally from a health point of view. I will let you know if eliminating sugar helps me lose weight in 19 days time. If it does, then I will certainly be continuing with this way of eating. If it doesn't then I might just stay in bed for the rest of my life.

huh apparently everything i learned in medical school about diabetes was wrong - gotta pick up my MFP degree.

I have no problem with you doing a carb restricted/sugar restricted diet if it works for you - thats generally what I do and it works wonders for me but for you to get on your soap box and make claims that REFINED CARBS AND SUGAR ARE THE CAUSE OF TYPE 2 DIABETES makes me sad. This isn't an attack but please dont post authoritatively if you dont understand the mechanism of Type II DM - its caused by insulin resistance as a by product of high body fat (there is a mechanism behind it but I'm not going into the details) overall increased carbohydrate consumption does not cause diabetes
  • Docmahi
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    I am a little shocked that there are people still walking around saying that sugar does not cause weight gain. Have you not heard of type 2 diabetes. Refined carbohydrate and sugar are absolutely the cause of this. Of course, I don't think I can eat 5000 calories a day and lose weight just by not getting those calories form sugar. I stated in my post that I will stick to my fitness pals calorie goal. I am just attempting to eliminate refined sugar from my diet because I am borderline diabetic and I have massive carb cravings. I have tried every low fat high carb diet known to man without success. I am 30% overweight and lightly active. I walk a lot. I have read plenty of books and articles about how eliminating sugar and refined carbs and replacing these with fats will help with weight loss. I was just asking if anyone had done this 21 day sugar detox programme and actually not lost any weight. I intend to follow this for 21 days and see if I feel any better. Energy wise, weight loss wise and generally from a health point of view. I will let you know if eliminating sugar helps me lose weight in 19 days time. If it does, then I will certainly be continuing with this way of eating. If it doesn't then I might just stay in bed for the rest of my life.

Um... seeing as diabetes is an autoimmune disease and is largely genetic... eating too much sugar is not the sole cause of it or being overweight... it may be a catalyst for some folks, but is not the cause.

I don't really recommend diets such as these because they typically lead to binges... but hey, if you can stick with it and it helps you... go for it.

there is definitely a genetic link in Type II DM - but i think you are talking about type 1 DM which is an autoimmune destruction of Islet cells in the pancreas - but maybe i read your post wrong
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    We need a like button in here...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Diabetes is caused from your body either making too much insulin or not enough(depending on the type) sugar/carbs doesnt cause diabetes that is a MYTH(if this were the case no one would be able to eat fruit/veggies or any other type of sugar since sugar is sugar). There are many overweight people who dont have diabetes.If you have type 2 and are overweight then losing it could help but its not the cause of it. If refined sugar and carbs caused diabetes then my sister who is obese should have it and she doesnt ,she eats more candy and drinks more soda than she does "healthier" foods.she doesnt have high blood pressure either. I did the no refined sugar for a month and the first 4-5 days were hard to be honest. but after a month I didnt feel much of a difference(did not notice any energy change), I did lose a few lbs but I soon hit a plateau after that. not saying that will happen for you but,its your call.
  • Docmahi
    Options
    Thanks for you input. I have tried cutting calories, but just find it very hard to stick too. I am totally addicted to carbs and sugar. Hence the omitting it all together. I have read a lot about this and the major cause of type 2 diabetes is insulin resistance which is cause by the excessive consumption of refined carbohydrate ie sugar. I of course will still have a calorie deficit, I will just be getting my calories from fat, protein and unrefined carbs. I don't think it is a gimmick at all. No one can say that eating refined food is good for us.
    The reason for doing this for 21 days is not to say that after that I will just eat sugar again. I really want to break my sweet tooth habit and be healthier. There are also new studies that are showing the Alzheimer's is closely linked with diabetes and high blood sugar. I have pre diabetes and both my sister and father are diabetic.

Sugar/carbohydrate consumption is not linked to insulin resistance either. Here's what NIH's National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) has to say on the subject: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/#causes The only mention of sugar/carbohydrates comes in the explanation of what insulin is.

Sugar and Alzheimer's... are you referring to the Japanese study on blocking the enzyme BACE1? Alzheimer’s disease is caused by the formation of atypical Aβ plaques in the brain when the molecule APP is abnormally cut by the enzyme BACE1. The study blocked BACE1 from cleaving APP. This has nothing to do with dietary sugar.

You are not "addicted" to carbs and sugar. Omitting any food group increases your likelihood of failure because you don't learn how to develop healthy relationships with those foods. The world will continue to contain refined sugars and carbohydrates. Without learning moderation, you're setting yourself up for failure.

I think I am in love
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Docmahi wrote: »

Um... seeing as diabetes is an autoimmune disease and is largely genetic... eating too much sugar is not the sole cause of it or being overweight... it may be a catalyst for some folks, but is not the cause.

I don't really recommend diets such as these because they typically lead to binges... but hey, if you can stick with it and it helps you... go for it.

there is definitely a genetic link in Type II DM - but i think you are talking about type 1 DM which is an autoimmune destruction of Islet cells in the pancreas - but maybe i read your post wrong

Maybe I am confusing the two... or maybe I understood incorrectly that both types are auto-immune...
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

Perhaps then your goal should be based on how you feel, not whether you lose weight. 21 days is a short period of time in regards to pounds lost.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I have read a lot about this and the major cause of type 2 diabetes is insulin resistance which is cause by the excessive consumption of refined carbohydrate ie sugar.

Still no...

Being overweight and or obese is the major driver of type 2 diabetes which IMO is caused by the excessive consumption of all macros...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I made no mention of diabetes. Just pointing out that you have to have a calorie deficit for weight loss.

PS: I don't eat much in the way of added sugar. I very much limit added sugar and refined carbs.
  • megthehen
    megthehen Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Maybe I am confusing the two... or maybe I understood incorrectly that both types are auto-immune... [/

I am by no means an expert but have done a lot of reading and research about this because I have a family history of diabetes. My sister is Type 1 and my father, uncles on my dad's side and Aunty on my sisters side are type 2.
    My understanding is that Type 1 is ultimately the complete malfunction of the pancreas (no insulin is produced) this is both genetic and autoimmune. Type 2, however is when the pancreas cannot cope. This is as a direct result of excess dietary sugar. The pancreas is pumping out insulin to deal with high sugar influx. Insulin is released as a result of a raise in blood sugar. It tells the cells to open its doors to receive glucose. Hi concentrations of glucose is the blood and cells cause the cells not to respond to the insulin ( insulin resistance) . The pancreas creates more insulin to clear the blood of glucose without success. Eventually the pancreas just can't cope anymore. To my simple mind this means sugar causes diabetes. This is not only table sugar but all the refined carbs that turn to sugar very quickly once digested.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Maybe I am confusing the two... or maybe I understood incorrectly that both types are auto-immune...
    I am by no means an expert but have done a lot of reading and research about this because I have a family history of diabetes. My sister is Type 1 and my father, uncles on my dad's side and Aunty on my sisters side are type 2.
    My understanding is that Type 1 is ultimately the complete malfunction of the pancreas (no insulin is produced) this is both genetic and autoimmune. Type 2, however is when the pancreas cannot cope. This is as a direct result of excess dietary sugar. The pancreas is pumping out insulin to deal with high sugar influx. Insulin is released as a result of a raise in blood sugar. It tells the cells to open its doors to receive glucose. Hi concentrations of glucose is the blood and cells cause the cells not to respond to the insulin ( insulin resistance) . The pancreas creates more insulin to clear the blood of glucose without success. Eventually the pancreas just can't cope anymore. To my simple mind this means sugar causes diabetes. This is not only table sugar but all the refined carbs that turn to sugar very quickly once digested.

No. Whatever quack websites or old defunct books you've been reading, sue them. Genetics and obesity lead to diabetes, not carbs.
  • magnolia_ah
    magnolia_ah Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't cause weight gain. Eating more calories does. Eliminating sugar doesn't cause weight loss. Creating a calorie deficit does.
    If reducing sugar helps you create that deficit (and/or helps reducing cravings), great. Otherwise, you may be in for a disappointment.

but my dermatologist said too much sugar cause wrinkles and make u look older ...
  • megthehen
    Options

No. Whatever quack websites or old defunct books you've been reading, sue them. Genetics and obesity lead to diabetes, not carbs.

• megthehen
    Options
    So what leads to obesity then. Because we seem sure that it's not the macro nutrient dense high refined carbohydrate food we have been told is healthy for the last 30 years. The stuff I am reading is not old at all. Dr David Perlmutter, Professor Tim Noakes. Scandinavian countries have already changed their dietary guidelines to a higher fat and lower carbohydrate program because of the evidence that our dietary guidelines have caused an increase in diabetes, heart disease and Alzheimer's. Read some yourself because it certainly made sense to me.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    So what leads to obesity then. Because we seem sure that it's not the macro nutrient dense high refined carbohydrate food we have been told is healthy for the last 30 years. The stuff I am reading is not old at all. Dr David Perlmutter, Professor Tim Noakes. Scandinavian countries have already changed their dietary guidelines to a higher fat and lower carbohydrate program because of the evidence that our dietary guidelines have caused an increase in diabetes, heart disease and Alzheimer's. Read some yourself because it certainly made sense to me.

Carbs and refined food did not lead to my obesity. Eating over my calorie limit over many years did. In fact, I lost my weight (123 pounds) while eating plenty of carbs, refined sugar and processed foods. My husband too, at 125 pounds lost, eats the same stuff I do. Like somone else said, its a gimmick. You do not have to cut out anything completely, unless its for personal reasons other than weight loss. For most of us, attempting to cut out certain foods, was part of what caused us to fail at losing weight in the past. It wasnt sustainable.

• celticlass69
    celticlass69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think it is a combination of not enough exercise, too much stress, too many calories, processed, fatty and sugary foods. I'm no expert but I think moderation is the best motto and a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.
  • natashajf
    natashajf Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is almost unfortunate that we have the world of information at our fingertips, honestly there is so much conflicting information out there. Personally I steer clear of anything that is the latest fad, and am suspicious of any "Dr" who feels they need to sell me something, or sign me up to something to help me lose weight. It does come down to basic maths, make sure you have a calorie deficit. If this isn't working then seek professional help from your local doctor who is paid to simply give you the best professional advice and not to sell you something or sign you up.

You mention that you are "boarderline diabetic" so this leads me to believe you have already consulted your doctor. I would highly recommend you talk to them about the pros/cons of a sugar detox, they may also have other suggestions on how to beat the cravings. We all have to find a way to deal with cravings our own way, and everyone is different.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Eating too much. Plain and simple.

My personal experience is I can over eat a lot easier on higher carb foods, as some can be very calorie dense and not as satisfying to my appetite as foods high in fat or protein.

So for me cutting back on the carbs was a great tool for controlling my calorie intake and helps me keep in and around a deficit.

But at the end of the day weight gain is still eating in a calorie surplus.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't cause weight gain. Eating more calories does. Eliminating sugar doesn't cause weight loss. Creating a calorie deficit does.
    If reducing sugar helps you create that deficit (and/or helps reducing cravings), great. Otherwise, you may be in for a disappointment.

but my dermatologist said too much sugar cause wrinkles and make u look older ...

I found this interesting so I tried researching it. I found a few opinion blogs, but I couldn't find a peer reviewed study on it. Did your dermatologist tell you the name of the study this information was based on?