21 Day sugar detox

Options
I read the book and started yesterday. so far so good. But to my horror I read a post on hear about someone who did the whole 21 days an did not lose any weight. Really, Surely that is not possible. If I keep to the calorie restriction and eliminate sugars and keep healthy carbs below 100g and do this for 21 days, there must be some result. Please tell me someone has done this with great success.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't cause weight gain. Eating more calories does. Eliminating sugar doesn't cause weight loss. Creating a calorie deficit does.
    If reducing sugar helps you create that deficit (and/or helps reducing cravings), great. Otherwise, you may be in for a disappointment.
  • Mikeyloye
    Mikeyloye Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sugar is empty calories generally, I haven't had any added sugar in about 2 weeks. I haven't had caffeine for the same and I got nasty headaches but I am sleeping easier and better for it.

I am controlling my carbs to make sure they are clean carbs (brown rice pasta ect)

I am also getting my *kitten* kicked by my personal training. I have lost 7 ib in those 2 weeks. Now I am not mega over weight just slightly and that's impressed me.

But I am committed to changing my way of thinking and lifestyle.

I am not going back on sugar after a period of time I am going to keep at it.

Be carful research implys some sweeteners can stimulate hunger so try not to swap real sugar for sweeteners it generally is a bad idea try going natural all the way.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't cause weight gain. Eating more calories does. Eliminating sugar doesn't cause weight loss. Creating a calorie deficit does.
    If reducing sugar helps you create that deficit (and/or helps reducing cravings), great. Otherwise, you may be in for a disappointment.

^^Agreed with Sabine. Just as a friendly heads up too- MFP sets peoples sugar very low so even eating fruit can set someone "over their limit"
  • megthehen
    megthehen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am a little shocked that there are people still walking around saying that sugar does not cause weight gain. Have you not heard of type 2 diabetes. Refined carbohydrate and sugar are absolutely the cause of this. Of course, I don't think I can eat 5000 calories a day and lose weight just by not getting those calories form sugar. I stated in my post that I will stick to my fitness pals calorie goal. I am just attempting to eliminate refined sugar from my diet because I am borderline diabetic and I have massive carb cravings. I have tried every low fat high carb diet known to man without success. I am 30% overweight and lightly active. I walk a lot. I have read plenty of books and articles about how eliminating sugar and refined carbs and replacing these with fats will help with weight loss. I was just asking if anyone had done this 21 day sugar detox programme and actually not lost any weight. I intend to follow this for 21 days and see if I feel any better. Energy wise, weight loss wise and generally from a health point of view. I will let you know if eliminating sugar helps me lose weight in 19 days time. If it does, then I will certainly be continuing with this way of eating. If it doesn't then I might just stay in bed for the rest of my life.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

tumblr_inline_nijxztmjBb1qdh39g.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    megthehen wrote: »
    I am a little shocked that there are people still walking around saying that sugar does not cause weight gain. Have you not heard of type 2 diabetes. Refined carbohydrate and sugar are absolutely the cause of this. Of course, I don't think I can eat 5000 calories a day and lose weight just by not getting those calories form sugar. I stated in my post that I will stick to my fitness pals calorie goal. I am just attempting to eliminate refined sugar from my diet because I am borderline diabetic and I have massive carb cravings. I have tried every low fat high carb diet known to man without success. I am 30% overweight and lightly active. I walk a lot. I have read plenty of books and articles about how eliminating sugar and refined carbs and replacing these with fats will help with weight loss. I was just asking if anyone had done this 21 day sugar detox programme and actually not lost any weight. I intend to follow this for 21 days and see if I feel any better. Energy wise, weight loss wise and generally from a health point of view. I will let you know if eliminating sugar helps me lose weight in 19 days time. If it does, then I will certainly be continuing with this way of eating. If it doesn't then I might just stay in bed for the rest of my life.

overeating causes weight gain, period. sugar has nothing to do with it.

you can eliminate all "refined" sugar, eat over maintenance, and you will gain weight.

avoiding sugar is unnecessary unless you have a medical condition ...

• ndj1979
    Options

to the bolded part ....newsflash, if you restrict something for 19 days of course you are going to lose weight, because you are eating LESS.

I could restrict carbs for 19 days and lose weight, because it would lower my overall calorie intake.....

Again, sugar has nothing to do with weight loss, calorie deficit is what matters.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Have you not heard of type 2 diabetes. Refined carbohydrate and sugar are absolutely the cause of this.

Nope...

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Whilst sugar is probably the least healthy of all food groups, eating it in a calorie deficit is not in anyway unhealthy, so don't sweat and and don't avoid it.

Sugar in moderation is an optimal part of a diet.

Just focus on your protein and the over macros should take care of themselves.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm not shocked at all that some people lost no weight by cutting sugar for 21 days. Its about a calorie deficit. If you want to lose weight, eat at a deficit.
    its going to come down to the total number of calories consumed. Not what food group they cut out.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This one didn't end well;
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1192816/21-day-sugar-detox

"So I did the 21 Day Sugar Detox. Exercised like crazy, didn't eat anything I shouldn't, etc... Today I was SO excited to get on the scale because I feel great... Thought I had lost a few pounds.. NOPE... ZERO. I am SO discouraged. I was such a junkie for sugar and processed foods -- so I cut everything out and ate really well. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't even know what to think"

Notice this poster never mentions what "pretty well" means, I'm guessing she didn't lose jack squat;
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1372387/21-day-sugar-detox-diet

"So my sugar detox diet is finished! Overall, I did pretty well. Next time will be better though because I know what to expect. I will be introducing fruit back into my diet. I will continue to leave out bread and pasta. It's about finding a healthy balance. Nothing else to say really. Now, I am off to the farmers' market"

Some more so you can learn of others peoples "success" with this program;

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1460573/21-day-sugar-detox/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/949281/21-day-sugar-detox-any-others
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10065271/21-day-fix-extreme-whos-doing-it
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10046319/21-day-fix-starting-jan-17th
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10045408/21-day-fix-and-friends
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1202501/who-else-is-doing-the-21-day-sugar-detox
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1005611/21-day-sugar-detox-suggestions-and-tip
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1130025/21-day-sugar-detox
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I am a little shocked that there are people still walking around saying that sugar does not cause weight gain. Have you not heard of type 2 diabetes. Refined carbohydrate and sugar are absolutely the cause of this. Of course, I don't think I can eat 5000 calories a day and lose weight just by not getting those calories form sugar. I stated in my post that I will stick to my fitness pals calorie goal. I am just attempting to eliminate refined sugar from my diet because I am borderline diabetic and I have massive carb cravings. I have tried every low fat high carb diet known to man without success. I am 30% overweight and lightly active. I walk a lot. I have read plenty of books and articles about how eliminating sugar and refined carbs and replacing these with fats will help with weight loss. I was just asking if anyone had done this 21 day sugar detox programme and actually not lost any weight. I intend to follow this for 21 days and see if I feel any better. Energy wise, weight loss wise and generally from a health point of view. I will let you know if eliminating sugar helps me lose weight in 19 days time.[ If it does, then I will certainly be continuing with this way of eating. If it doesn't then I might just stay in bed for the rest of my life.

It probably will but only through the fact that reducing sugar is an efficient way or reducing calorie intake and will hopefully lead to a calorie deficit.

Cutting back on sugar is certainly not unhealthy so give it a go, good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I am a little shocked that there are people still walking around saying that sugar does not cause weight gain.

This is incredibly misguided!
    How much weight do you think I gained the day I ate 700+ grams of carbs (a huge proportion of which came from sugars)?

Answer none as I was in a calorie deficit.

If you restrict calories from sugars/carbs but replace the same calories from fat don't expect to lose weight.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Eating too much sugar does not cause type 2 diabetes. Here are the risk factors for type 2 diabetes (notice that "sugar consumption" is not on the list): http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-2-diabetes/basics/risk-factors/con-20031902

It is incredibly easy to cut sugar and refined carbohydrates and not lose, heck, even gain weight. I didn't consume all that much sugar/refined carbs to begin with. I only eat whole grains, rarely eat candy, don't drink juice or non-diet soda. If I cut sugar and nothing else, I would not have lost weight.

Instead of trying a gimmick (gimmick alert- anything that is done for X number of days or weeks), why not just follow the MFP guidelines? You're more likely to be successful if you just make one change at a time. Cutting calories is a pretty significant change anyway.
  • megthehen
    megthehen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you input. I have tried cutting calories, but just find it very hard to stick too. I am totally addicted to carbs and sugar. Hence the omitting it all together. I have read a lot about this and the major cause of type 2 diabetes is insulin resistance which is cause by the excessive consumption of refined carbohydrate ie sugar. I of course will still have a calorie deficit, I will just be getting my calories from fat, protein and unrefined carbs. I don't think it is a gimmick at all. No one can say that eating refined food is good for us.
    The reason for doing this for 21 days is not to say that after that I will just eat sugar again. I really want to break my sweet tooth habit and be healthier. There are also new studies that are showing the Alzheimer's is closely linked with diabetes and high blood sugar. I have pre diabetes and both my sister and father are diabetic.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you input. I have tried cutting calories, but just find it very hard to stick too. I am totally addicted to carbs and sugar. Hence the omitting it all together. I have read a lot about this and the major cause of type 2 diabetes is insulin resistance which is cause by the excessive consumption of refined carbohydrate ie sugar. I of course will still have a calorie deficit, I will just be getting my calories from fat, protein and unrefined carbs. I don't think it is a gimmick at all. No one can say that eating refined food is good for us.
    The reason for doing this for 21 days is not to say that after that I will just eat sugar again. I really want to break my sweet tooth habit and be healthier. There are also new studies that are showing the Alzheimer's is closely linked with diabetes and high blood sugar. I have pre diabetes and both my sister and father are diabetic.

Sugar/carbohydrate consumption is not linked to insulin resistance either. Here's what NIH's National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) has to say on the subject: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/#causes The only mention of sugar/carbohydrates comes in the explanation of what insulin is.

Sugar and Alzheimer's... are you referring to the Japanese study on blocking the enzyme BACE1? Alzheimer’s disease is caused by the formation of atypical Aβ plaques in the brain when the molecule APP is abnormally cut by the enzyme BACE1. The study blocked BACE1 from cleaving APP. This has nothing to do with dietary sugar.

You are not "addicted" to carbs and sugar. Omitting any food group increases your likelihood of failure because you don't learn how to develop healthy relationships with those foods. The world will continue to contain refined sugars and carbohydrates. Without learning moderation, you're setting yourself up for failure.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Sugar/carbohydrate consumption is not linked to insulin resistance either. Here's what NIH's National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) has to say on the subject: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/#causes The only mention of sugar/carbohydrates comes in the explanation of what insulin is.

Sugar and Alzheimer's... are you referring to the Japanese study on blocking the enzyme BACE1? Alzheimer’s disease is caused by the formation of atypical Aβ plaques in the brain when the molecule APP is abnormally cut by the enzyme BACE1. The study blocked BACE1 from cleaving APP. This has nothing to do with dietary sugar.

You are not "addicted" to carbs and sugar. Omitting any food group increases your likelihood of failure because you don't learn how to develop healthy relationships with those foods. The world will continue to contain refined sugars and carbohydrates. Without learning moderation, you're setting yourself up for failure.

^ all this
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Um... seeing as diabetes is an autoimmune disease and is largely genetic... eating too much sugar is not the sole cause of it or being overweight... it may be a catalyst for some folks, but is not the cause.

I don't really recommend diets such as these because they typically lead to binges... but hey, if you can stick with it and it helps you... go for it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    something tells me on day 22 OP is going to consume ALL the sugar..
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about this book or program, but if you have a calorie deficit and low carb for 21 days then you should lose weight - both water (from the low carb) and fat (from the calorie deficit).

Medical problems could affect how much you lose, but if someone really stuck to it I don't see how they wouldn't lose something. It makes me wonder how strict the person who didn't lose anything was.