Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Probably should have thought about this at Xmas time. Ain't happening unless you dehydrate your body completely or cut off a limb.
    Trust that you're NOT going to lose 10lbs of FAT in 2 weeks. You might lose some water, but that rarely does a lot for appearance if one is overweight to begin with.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

150 lbs at 5'6" isn't overweight.
    You're right. So maybe we should be asking why she NEEDS to lose 10lbs?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, 154 at 5' 6" is considered overweight. She's right were I started when I wanted to lose! It's about not getting to that point of actually being overweight, seems like a healthy cut off to me.

I think in the first two weeks I lost about 6-7 lbs of mostly water weight. So she could just start limiting calories (say 1400/day, she can increase it later to around 1600 or something) and making sure to drink 8 - 12 glasses of water a day. Reduce sodium. She'll get close.

150 at her height is not overweight, and even that;s relative depending on how much lean muscle mass she has.

But I'm saying that doesn't mean she shouldn't be interested in losing weight. Maybe she wants to be in the middle of her BMI range like I did. Just being overweight is NOT the only reason to lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    why don't you try and tone up instead? if your toned and weigh 160 you will may look like u weigh 140
    since you aren't over weight you should try to lose inches not lbs

It ain't gonna happen in ten days, though.
  • mikeshockley
    mikeshockley Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Splurge and purge.*

*Just kidding. DO NOT do this!

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Probably should have thought about this at Xmas time. Ain't happening unless you dehydrate your body completely or cut off a limb.
    Trust that you're NOT going to lose 10lbs of FAT in 2 weeks. You might lose some water, but that rarely does a lot for appearance if one is overweight to begin with.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, 154 at 5' 6" is considered overweight. She's right were I started when I wanted to lose! It's about not getting to that point of actually being overweight, seems like a healthy cut off to me.

I think in the first two weeks I lost about 6-7 lbs of mostly water weight. So she could just start limiting calories (say 1400/day, she can increase it later to around 1600 or something) and making sure to drink 8 - 12 glasses of water a day. Reduce sodium. She'll get close.

150 at her height is not overweight, and even that;s relative depending on how much lean muscle mass she has.

But I'm saying that doesn't mean she shouldn't be interested in losing weight. Maybe she wants to be in the middle of her BMI range like I did. Just being overweight is NOT the only reason to lose weight.

Oh, I see where you're coming from.

Lean muscle mass is more important than the numbers on the scale.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Lose ten pounds of weight in two weeks? You could cut off a limb. But I really don't recommend that. Very unsafe. But so is trying to lose 10 pounds of fat in two weeks. It takes a deficit of 3500 calories to burn a pound of fat. That is 35,000 calories deficit total for 10 pounds of fat loss. If you ate absolutely nothing for the next two weeks, you still would not have that deficit. Nor would you be losing fat as your body would take from lean muscle mass to compensate as well. A healthy and maintainable deficit for a small loss like that would be a half pound to pound of fat loss a week. You could attempt to shed some water weight by drinking more water (at least half your weight in ounces a day).

But take it from a military wife. He isn't going to care when he gets home. He is going to not stop staring at you and calling you beautiful and telling you how much he loves you. When my husband came home, I had just had our son two weeks prior, had no makeup on, was wearing spit up covered clothes, my hair in a messy bun on the top of my head, the house was a mess. But he just came home and loved on all of us like nothing else in the world mattered.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    nilbogger wrote: »
    Wow...negativity abounds. I lost 6.5 pounds (pretty close to your goal of 10) in 2 weeks by logging everything I ate, not exceeding my 1,200 caloric goal, and exercising moderately. So, pretty much doing everything all of the MFP "experts" recommend. I had lost another 3.5 my last weigh in, bringing my total to 10 pounds in 3 weeks.

And that's great, but you still didn't lose 10 pounds in two weeks.

And it wasn't 6.5 pounds of fat, either.

Did she specify that she wanted to lose 10 pounds of fat? I must have missed that part.

No, but I can assume that's the desired result since she wants to look good for her man when he comes to visit. I've never lost water weight and looked any different.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif

Epic beard is Epic!

Amputation is always an option - I mean: a leg's gotta be worth a good 20 pounds, right?

• VeryKatie
    edited January 2015
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Oh, I see where you're coming from.

Lean muscle mass is more important than the numbers on the scale.

Yep, so she could lift weights while losing fat to keep her current muscle mass. Build some more later (since it doesn't really happen simultaneously). In my opinion, it's good to take preventative measures from becoming overweight. I am assuming the OP has average muscle mass since she's new to the site and may not have discovered the benefits of weight lifting. I could be wrong, of course. But I'll go with it for now until she says otherwise :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Wow...negativity abounds. I lost 6.5 pounds (pretty close to your goal of 10) in 2 weeks by logging everything I ate, not exceeding my 1,200 caloric goal, and exercising moderately. So, pretty much doing everything all of the MFP "experts" recommend. I had lost another 3.5 my last weigh in, bringing my total to 10 pounds in 3 weeks.
    Pounds of what though? The majority of it is water in the beginning of any change. Loss of water doesn't change much of a person's physique (unless they are already close to low body fat), and that's what the OP is trying to attempt by Valentine's day.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Can I also point out the visual difference between 6 lb bloated and not bloated can look like 10 lbs of fat even if it technically isn't?

Perhaps to the individual it'll look different. I'm willing to bet the boyfriend won't notice.
  • VeryKatie
    edited January 2015
    Options

Can I also point out the visual difference between 6 lb bloated and not bloated can look like 10 lbs of fat even if it technically isn't?

Perhaps to the individual it'll look different. I'm willing to bet the boyfriend won't notice.

But if it makes her feel sexier, what's the harm? I'm not suggesting she eat 500 calories a day for 2 weeks. I'm suggesting a moderate deficit (of 1400 - 1600 a day depending on her activity levels) and increased water intake along with weight lifting (if that's something she's interested in).

I know for me, I felt much better after losing my water weight. Mostly because I also stopped being so darn gassy in that time (from eating a more nutritious variety of foods instead of nothing but pasta as I used to do), so my stomach literally hurt less. It helps you feel confident when you also feel good.
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    There is actually a healthy way to lose a nice amount of weight in a short period of time, and flood your system with tons of nutrients. I have nothing to gain from passing on the link, but I myself have done this and not gained the weight back because I changed my eating habits.

PM me if you'd like, because knowing how these threads work what with the mocking and such, I won't keep updated on further posts. B)

10 Day Green Smoothie Cleanse: Lose Up to 15 Pounds in 10 Days
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Even when I'm at the top of my healthy weight range, I can look flabby or unfit. I imagine this is the case for OP.
    No doubt that dependent on how much lean muscle one has, one can look more overweight than someone else at the same height, weight, age and gender. Based on BMI, she's "normal" and BMI doesn't take lean muscle into account well.
    Like most have said, whether she loses the 10lbs or not, I don't think her boyfriend will notice.
    Vanity will make people attempt things they really don't need to.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

And you had your goal set to lose 60 pounds. The heavier you are, the more your body requires in calories to maintain. So your calorie deficit at 1200 might be around 800-900 calories a day before exercise. Her calorie deficit at 1200 might be about 300 a day before exercise. That huge difference in numbers is why someone who has a lot of weight to lose will lose it significantly faster than someone who has little to lose. No negativity here other than your false hope for this girl. When you get down to 10 pounds left to lose, it will be that much harder to work it off.

ETA- In the first couple weeks of dieting, you often lose a lot of water weight. That won't show much on a cosmetic level. Sure it is healthier for your blood pressure to flush excess water weight. But we all assume she is wanting to do this for the sake of appearing thinner. Taking off the water weight, won't do much for that.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    There is actually a healthy way to lose a nice amount of weight in a short period of time, and flood your system with tons of nutrients. I have nothing to gain from passing on the link, but I myself have done this and not gained the weight back because I changed my eating habits.

PM me if you'd like, because knowing how these threads work what with the mocking and such, I won't keep updated on further posts. B)

10 Day Green Smoothie Cleanse: Lose Up to 15 Pounds in 10 Days

Don't bother with this though...
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    So on Valentine's Day, my boyfriend is coming home from the airforce and he has a huge Valentines Day celebration planned and I want to drop some weight before he arrives home. I'm currently 150 at 5'6. Any tips?

in order to lose 10 lbs in 2 weeks you need to be at a 35000 calorie deficit for 14 days - there is no way to do that within healthy parameters
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So on Valentine's Day, my boyfriend is coming home from the airforce and he has a huge Valentines Day celebration planned and I want to drop some weight before he arrives home. I'm currently 150 at 5'6. Any tips?

Since 1 lb of fat is roughly 3500 calories, to lose 10 lbs you must burn 35,000 calories. 2 weeks you say? Let's divide that number by 14. So, in order to lose 10 lbs in 2 weeks you need to be at a caloric deficit of 2500 calories every day.

In other words, you can't eat any food for 2 weeks and must run several miles every day to keep a deficit like that.

In other words, you cannot lose 10 lbs of fat in 2 weeks AND SHOULD NOT.

sss.gif
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    instead of milk drink unsweetened soy milk. instead of coffee drink green tea which has caffeine and speeds up your metabolism. instead of yogurt have Greek yogurt. drink only water. eat protein rich food within 30 minutes of waking up. even if your not hungry. this will speed up metabolism. these are some tips that have been helping me to lose weight fast.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    this will not end well. lol.