What can calisthenics do for you? Let me show you.

Options

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    So much fab and inspiration!
  • AudraSky
    AudraSky Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thank you for this! You are definitely an inspiration!
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    YOU LOOK GREAT!
  • ERH56
    ERH56 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for looking and I’d love to answer any questions you have! It feels so great to be able to share my progress and I’m looking forward to improving and continuing to challenge myself. =)

For me calisthenics is the way to go. My daughter (the fitness instructor) encouraged me to stop trying to do as many push ups in a row during my work out and begin doing slow push ups making sure I go all the way down and all the way up. I've trimmed the numbers from 1,000 fast push ups to 360 very slow push ups. 6 push up positions for 60 seconds each. I've noticed and felt the difference.

I finish with squats, crunches, jack knives and something I discovered last year, different positions of planks. My goal is to be able to complete all 10 minutes for the following plank workout. Last year I worked my way up to 10 pull ups but then pulled something so I'll have to start from scratch on those.

Congratulations on your success and results.
  • cjiras
    cjiras Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just happened across your post because I wanted to see what calisthenics meant. When I use MayMyFitness and it syncs to FitnessPal, it records my exercise as calisthenics. I just need to tell you that your pics are amazing. I'm at -50lbs right now and I'm shooting for 30 more... I think. I've never been at a healthy weight, so I don't know what my ideal weight is supposed to be. I just know that I was happy at 170lbs (size 10) but still had this lil belly pudge, so I'm thinking 155lbs might be my mark. Lol, not sure tho! I had 2 kids in 2yrs and it did quite the number on me. I joined crossfit and lost the 50 but then I started a new job and it just didn't fit my schedule. I've tried a few at home videos but just this week started Insanity Max 30 and I'm really liking it. But anyways, just knowing you have come so far is very inspiring. I hope I can post pictures like this one day!
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    inspiring post - thanks and WELL DONE!
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I am on week 3 of Body By You. Hopefully, I can achieve some great results like yours! I currently have access to a YMCA gym (only because it is a good deal with my girl learning swimming there) But even so, the only way I can be consistent with strength training is to do it at home. I just wish some more people can share their success with body weight exercises. With every one sharing their success in lifting weights, I can't help but to doubt if bodyweight exercises really work. Thanks again.
  • today_I_do
    today_I_do Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! THank you so much of this. :) I have had some reservations due to similar reasoning to you concerning weightlifting – happy to see others have been successful at this!
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I am going to look into this more. You look fantastic and super fit and strong.
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I've started You Are Your Own Gym based on your outcome with bodyweight training and all the research I did and I am loving it already. Thanks for being an inspiration, hot mama!
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    OP I was wondering – do you think that lifting somehow contributed to the level you are at now (giving you a good base, etc.) or was it two separate experiences for you?
  • smithjl2
    smithjl2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I've been wanting to try calisthenics but wasn't sure where to begin!
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    OP I was wondering – do you think that lifting somehow contributed to the level you are at now (giving you a good base, etc.) or was it two separate experiences for you?

Nah, honestly when I was lifting I thought I was really, really strong.... I had no idea how weak I actually was until I started bodyweights. So yes I suppose you could say they were two separate experiences! =)
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I am firm believer that everything happens for a reason and for some reason today I took a peek into the message boards (something I haven't done in a long time!) and I came across your post...

I think it spoke to me right away because I've been wanting to incorporate some heavy lifting into my workout schedule for the past YEAR, but have some sort of mental block about doing that. Everything else I seem to NIKE and Just Do It!
    Yet, I haven't even been able to add one day! I have however been doing some interval training stuff in a few classes I go to, so I love the body weight stuff...

I'm going to research further into the books you mentioned thanks SO much for posting, I'll be back since I only got a few pages into this thread!
  • isabel10116
    Options
    I'm getting back into calisthenics again too! Would you be able to repost your pictures though? For some reason I can't see them anymore!
  • singallagher
    singallagher Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Would love to see them too! I love the you are your own gym concept
  • bethmeek27
    bethmeek27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes I really want to see the pics!
  • mommymissy82
    mommymissy82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wanting to see pics too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!