Anyone Trying Whey Protein For Weight Loss?

Options
I have been trying Whey Protein for weight loss and I am really impressed. I just joined MFP but I have been losing weight with it previously and continue to lose weight with it. I am interested in following other women who are using it and seeing how the results are working for them. So if there are any out there please add me :)

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    What impresses you about whey protein ?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Whey doesn't cause you to lose weight. It supplements protein or lack there of in your current diet. Total calories determine if you gain, lose or maintain.
  • NewMeAB2015
    NewMeAB2015 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did a whey protein diet last year n dropped 20lbs. I would do a protein shake with a fruit for breakfast than a snack than have lunch and yhan a snack again n last another protein shake and fruit at night. :)
  • Piscesmoon68
    Piscesmoon68 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I considered doing this as well but was told it would cause weight gain.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Whey doesn't cause you to lose weight. It supplements protein or lack there of in your current diet. Total calories determine if you gain, lose or maintain.

This.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    No, I just use it as a way of getting some quick carbs and protein into my system after a workout. Gotta fuel the muscle repair.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Whey is a protein supplement. It is used to make sure you get your protein for the day. It doesn't cause you to lose weight.

Are you saying you use protein shakes as meal replacements?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not sure why anyone would.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The increased protein from the whey will definitely help weight loss especially since most women dont eat very much protein. But overall it shouldnt be a diet, you can add shake or 2 to your day to increase your protein levels and itll help your results just make sure you are still within your calorie level
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    im not a woman.....lol. but i do supplement with whey protein post-workout and it has helped me meet my protein goals.......i still never 'meet' mfp protein goal, but it gets me closer anyways hehe

no complaints......biggest thing is to stay hydrated.....i'd say no more than 1 protein scoop/shake per day......as i've heard it's not good for the kidneys or something......but no problems thus far......but i drink a shedload of water.......half my body weight, in fluid ounces......daily.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ahoier wrote: »
    im not a woman.....lol. but i do supplement with whey protein post-workout and it has helped me meet my protein goals.......i still never 'meet' mfp protein goal, but it gets me closer anyways hehe

no complaints......biggest thing is to stay hydrated.....i'd say no more than 1 protein scoop/shake per day......as i've heard it's not good for the kidneys or something......but no problems thus far......but i drink a shedload of water.......half my body weight, in fluid ounces......daily.

Whey and protein wont hurt your kidneys unless you have a medical issue.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Protein is just a supplement to help you reach your protein and macro goals. nothing more, nothing less. Weight loss boils down to calories in vs. calories out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    whey protein is simply a supplement to help you hit your protein goals...protein is very important, particularly if you're active and it will also help preserve your muscle mass when you're dieting...but it doesn't cause you to lose weight.

I've lost weight, maintained weight, and bulked using whey...it is irrelevant to your weight control goals.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    whey protein is simply a supplement to help you hit your protein goals...protein is very important, particularly if you're active and it will also help preserve your muscle mass when you're dieting...but it doesn't cause you to lose weight.

I've lost weight, maintained weight, and bulked using whey...it is irrelevant to your weight control goals.

^all of this
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I have been trying Whey Protein for weight loss and I am really impressed. I just joined MFP but I have been losing weight with it previously and continue to lose weight with it. I am interested in following other women who are using it and seeing how the results are working for them. So if there are any out there please add me :)

Whey protein won't make you lose weight just like eating any other food won't magically make you lose weight. Eating in a calorie deficit & accurately weighing your foods will. Whey protein could be one of your sources of protein if you needed to bump up your protein macro.
  • SoThisIsthe40s
    Options
    Whey Protein actually will help you loose weight because it's turns off your hunger and cravings and revs up your metabolism and there is research that backs that up. I understand calories have to be accounted for but since I started drinking Whey Protein in the morning I am no longer hungry throughout the day and have lost all my cravings for junk food and sugar. I've only joined MFP for a little over a week but my next weigh in that I use for this app is tomorrow and I already know I've lost at least 5 lbs this week with minimal effort. So my interest is in others that are using it first thing in the morning before they eat and how it is working for them.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Whey Protein actually will help you loose weight because it's turns off your hunger and cravings and revs up your metabolism and there is research that backs that up. I understand calories have to be accounted for but since I started drinking Whey Protein in the morning I am no longer hungry throughout the day and have lost all my cravings for junk food and sugar. I've only joined MFP for a little over a week but my next weigh in that I use for this app is tomorrow and I already know I've lost at least 5 lbs this week with minimal effort. So my interest is in others that are using it first thing in the morning before they eat and how it is working for them.

Do you have any of this research because whey is just a supplement. It's great that it keeps you full, which in the end is probably helping reduce your calories, but whey doesn't even touch my hunger.

BTW, the first week of starting a routine will generally yield high weight loss due to water loss.

• SoThisIsthe40s
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Do you have any of this research because whey is just a supplement. It's great that it keeps you full, which in the end is probably helping reduce your calories, but whey doesn't even touch my hunger..

BTW, the first week of starting a routine will generally yield high weight loss due to water loss.
    This isn't my first week on Whey Protein it's my first week on MFP. I would be happy to find the research for you if you don't want to google it yourself but honestly I didn't come here to argue about Whey Protein. I came here to find people who were using it the same way as me and see if it was helping them the same way. I don't even understand why people are so determined to argue about it when I wasn't asking for advice about using Whey. Whey can also help you gain weight if your a body builder but you have to understand there are different ways it can be used and it's funny that you see there are people in this message that have said they either considered using it or have used it successfully to help them with weight loss and I am also using it successfully for weight loss. I understand it's not a popular route and a new theory on Whey Protein but that's why I was looking here for others that are doing it because I was interested in the success rate since it's working so well for me.
  • SoThisIsthe40s
    Options
    Here is a small article you can read on it but there is lots of information out there about it if you want search it yourself http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/can-women-drink-whey-protein-trying-lose-weight-8694.html