SUPERBOWL - How Will You Get Through It?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
    1 pound spicy, ground, breakfast sausage, browned and drained
    1 2 pound block of Velveeta
    1 can Frito Lay Jalapeno Cheese dip
    1 container sour cream
    2 cans, spicy chili with beans
    1 small jar of jalapeno peppers
    Optional: 1 jar salsa con queso

Mix in crockpot, cook on low 6-8 hours.
    Dip everything in it.

This is how I will survive the Super Bowl

You have changed my life. Forever.

• MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    SandyCoils wrote: »
    Are any of you also planning ahead on how to handle Superbowl parties and snacks? What are your plans to try to stay on top of your calories and goals?

Yes! For me planning ahead is essential, even when I plan on going over calories, I seem to stay in better control when I plan out what and how much I will eat based on what I know will be there and then try and leave a little wiggle room for what I don't know will be there.

My plan for Superbowl is much like what I do for the holidaze! I get in a good HIGH cardio workout early in the day, do some intermittent fasting for half the day, pre-plan my menu here on MFP for what I know will be there, drink LOTS of water and just try to stick to plan.

I go into all holidays and special event days expecting that I will go over because like others have said it's one day and I know that 350 days a year I am doing my best. If I manage to stay within calorie goal I'm pleasantly surprised, if I don't, I get right back at it the very next meal!

GOOD LUCK! My #1 Team, The Dolphins missed even making the playoffs, My #2 team the Ravens made the playoffs but didn't pull through, so my #3 team it is...GO HAWKS!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    1 container sour cream

Dip everything in it.

I was just going to say the same thing.
    Forget the Super Bowl, I am in for this.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    1 container sour cream

Dip everything in it.

I was just going to say the same thing.
    Forget the Super Bowl, I am in for this.

Although I have to say, I don't know what purpose the jar of salsa con queso would add (realize it is listed as optional). The whole thing is a meaty queso dip... maybe a can of rotel? Would that make it too healthy? ;)

I usually make this, and throw in some frozen spinach, cause, you know, health.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/outrageous-warm-chicken-nacho-dip/detail.aspx
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    LOL, yeah, the spinach will make it healthier.
    Now there is the dilemma which to make? Both?
    But the chicken would make it healthier than the ground beef and breakfast sausage.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Cauliflower wings
    Cauliflower beer
    Cauliflower nachos with cauliflower cheese
    Cauliflower chili

NOT
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Cauliflower wings
    Cauliflower beer
    Cauliflower chili

NOT

I'm a Judoka and have some Cauliflower ear, is that healthy?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    We'll do our usual chips, crackers and a cheese/charcuterie/fruit/veg board. As usual, I'll overeat, because I find it almost impossible not to when I'm grazing for hours. Plus, it'll all be very tasty and hard to stop eating even if it were a shorter meal.

I won't be concerned about the overeating, but I will regret not having pizza or any number of meals I'd rather have for those calories. Oh, well.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Cauliflower wings
    Cauliflower beer
    Cauliflower chili

NOT

I'm a Judoka and have some Cauliflower ear, is that healthy?

I'm going to say...Maybe.

Only if you got it eating cauliflower pizza crust
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The same way I do every other year - mourn the fact that as a Chiefs fan I have yet to see them in a Superbowl in my lifetime, but hope for a really good football game to watch nonetheless. Except that I really don't like either team so I may be rooting for some sort of natural disaster to befall on the stadium, but my brother lives in Arizona, so that's probably not very nice of me...

My biggest challenge is that because I'm a huge football fan, we gave up on going to big superbowl parties because we wanted to be able to watch the game as much as the commercials and avoid all the chit chatty small talk that comes up during these type of parties from the casual or non-fans. I still want to have all the fun Superbowl foods though so I end up making wings, dips, etc just for my family...

I feel your pain we still have time. We pretty much do the same thing.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I love Superbowl because rarely do I have to work...so I have the day off, and I will stay home and either play around on the interwebs or read a book or both...and do what I normally do. I am not a fan of any sports so I couldn't care less about anything to do with SB...and since most of the commercials are leaked ahead of time and most definitely displayed online later...I ain't missin' nuttin.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'll be cooking (and hopefully getting to actually eat some of it!) ALL THE FOOD. I was volunteered and I'm not half-arsing any chips/dip or cracker platters! Nope! I got a reputation for overfeeding everyone to uphold!
    I'm making crab rangoon dip, stuffed pizza rolls, a beer cheese soup, butterfinger dessert bars, and soft pretzel bites with spicy cheese dip... Omnomnom!! :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Oh, wait....you're talking about the handegg champeenship? I thought we were getting down with the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet.

(j/k. I have zero fs to give about the Handegg thing, but living in New England, I cannot escape it amongst my friends and family. Oh, well. We're just happy to win stuff occasionally.)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i don't like sports, so instead we will watch a movie.
    i'm thinking wings, prosecco, potato skins, maybe some spinach artichoke dip or tacos...maybe both.
  • blackcrossknight
    blackcrossknight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm eating the pizza we order, and the junk food we're frying. Woo!
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    SandyCoils wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    2100 would be right below what goal for the day anyhow. Maybe I'll just wait to eat until it starts or eat a small breakfast/lunch in addition and break even for the day.

No, no, they're saying that just during the time of the Superbowl - not the rest of the day, but in those few hours people consume an average of 2100 cals!!!! I was mortified!

But if you think about it, it's kind of like a holiday...for many people, that will be the primary eating (drinking) for that day and 2100 calories isn't really a big deal. I maintain on 2800- 3000 so even if I eat around 3200 - 3500 calories for the day, it's only one day...it's not biggie in the grand scheme of things.

Really, for breakfast I'll probably have a bagel and some peanut butter before my ride and then do whatever for the actual game. My guess is that I'll not be particularly hungry for an actual dinner...so in reality, I might not even hit maintenance.

Wait, wait wait! you maintain on 2800-3000 cals a day? Good grief!!! For my weight loss plan, I should not go over 1740. Wow.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    You can either:

1) Not go to Superbowl parties.
    2) Go to parties but not eat anything.

OR

3) Go to parties, enjoy whatever snacks they have and fit it into your daily calorie allotment.

I'm doing number 4) Not giving a crap about calories that day because hey, it's the Super Bowl.

I'm going with number 4 also. :) One day won't throw everything off for me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    The same things I do every other day.

Ditto