So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• NormalMichael
    Options
    Don't forget! It does not matter male or female, if you want that mid section right, it is not just the abs. you have to work the obliques also!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Don't forget! It does not matter male or female, if you want that mid section right, it is not just the abs. you have to work the obliques also!

This thread really wasn't about ab workouts. There are lots of those threads. This is about fat loss. Many people don't even want visible abs, they just want a flat stomach. That's why I chose to use stomach in the title instead of six pack or ripped abs.
  • TFG_em
    TFG_em Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Definitely some great advice. Important things to keep in mind. Too many people think starving yourself is the answer.
  • nadiaruizdc
    nadiaruizdc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'll keep in mind the part about strength training. I used to do crunches all the time and only saw I was building resistance but no actual results. I guess that and eating poorly also contributed to no getting flat. But now, counting calories and strength training, I know I'll get the body I want...slowly but surely.
  • ilirlena40
    ilirlena40 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    NO! Just no! This is a BS product and does not help.

ETA: This was in response to a spam post, not my original post.

Does it matter what you eat as long as you are in a calorie deficit
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    ilirlena40 wrote: »

Not particularity, unless it impacts overall dietary adherence. However, you should strive to get the majority of your food intake from nutrient dense whole food sources for general health and well being.
  • amberzart
    amberzart Posts: 3
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My suggestion is about 1gram of protein per pound of lean mass. !

How do I know what my lean mass would be? Sorry I'm a newbie to the fitness world but I want to learn more. Great advise too by the way!

• usmcmp
    Options
    amberzart wrote: »
    My suggestion is about 1gram of protein per pound of lean mass.

How do I know what my lean mass would be? Sorry I'm a newbie to the fitness world but I want to learn more. Great advise too by the way!

Do you know about what your body fat is? You can find your lean mass if you know your approximate body fat. You don't really have any pictures or information that could help me guess, so a starting point would be your body weight x .75 and that would give you around what your protein should be. Could be a bit lower, but it's a start.
  • ilirlena40
    ilirlena40 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Usmcmp Does it matter what you eat as long as you are in a calorie deficit to lose weight? Thanks
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Usmcmp Does it matter what you eat as long as you are in a calorie deficit to lose weight? Thanks

LolBroScience already gave you the answer I would. You can lose weight eating whatever you want. If all you eat is pizza and ice cream you would have a hard time sticking to your calorie goal. If you want to lose weight and focus on health you'll need to eat mostly nutrient dense foods (fruits, vegetables, lean meats) while still enjoying treats.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You already asked this and someone responded:

Not particularity, unless it impacts overall dietary adherence. However, you should strive to get the majority of your food intake from nutrient dense whole food sources for general health and well being.

@LOLbroscience is just as well versed

• usmcmp
    Options

He actually text me this morning to tell me that he had replied. I didn't even need to ask what he said because I knew that his advice was solid.
  • margot636
    Options
    Love this! Thank you! I sent a request and realized you wrote you delete them after I sent it. Whoops sorry!
  • b_thorn6
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing!! I've done some It Works body wraps and got great results, but they can't do it alone! I'm going to try these tips in addition to wrapping and see where it can take me!! Two piece swimsuit this summer? I think so!
  • cakelight
    cakelight Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I keep reading "cardio is useless" on a lot of these comment sections (not necessarily on MFP) and I guess I'm confused. Cardio is the most fun exercise for me, I look forward to it and it gets me into the gym. I get that a lot of people completely forget about strength training when in weight loss mode, but is it really a waste of time to do more than 1-2 times a week?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cakelight wrote: »
    I keep reading "cardio is useless" on a lot of these comment sections (not necessarily on MFP) and I guess I'm confused. Cardio is the most fun exercise for me, I look forward to it and it gets me into the gym. I get that a lot of people completely forget about strength training when in weight loss mode, but is it really a waste of time to do more than 1-2 times a week?

It's not that it is a waste of time... it's that it is typically perpetuated as something that MUST be done for fat loss, when that isn't really the case. It can be a helpful tool to create a larger caloric deficit, and is good for improving cardiovascular health.

If you enjoy it, keep doing it. As for a more developed midsection though, you'll get more bang for your buck through strength training with compound movements and having your diet in check.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    cakelight wrote: »

It's not that it is a waste of time... it's that it is typically perpetuated as something that MUST be done for fat loss, when that isn't really the case. It can be a helpful tool to create a larger caloric deficit, and is good for improving cardiovascular health.

If you enjoy it, keep doing it. As for a more developed midsection though, you'll get more bang for your buck through strength training with compound movements and having your diet in check.

^Nailed it. It's not that "cardio is useless" it's that too many people place emphasis on cardio and neglect strength training and just overall diet.
  • mywendy1
    mywendy1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Funny that you say to work out doing cardio 2 times per week and focus on weight training for the rest of the workout days. In the past, I weight trained 3- 4 days and did cardio 2 days for 30 minutes each workout. Had much better results than when I recently reversed it and started running 3-4 days and weight training 2 days. Will revert to the old way. Better at building lean muscle and losing weight.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

He actually text me this morning to tell me that he had replied. I didn't even need to ask what he said because I knew that his advice was solid.

you guys are cute! <3 to both of you =]
  • shelx2013
    Options
    I'm doing what you have suggested, I've lost 18lb but now I'm stuck at the same weight regardless of resetting my goals. Ive gained muscle but my stomach is still not as toned as the rest of me, in particular my upper gut!Should I cut carbs?