WOMEN AGES 50+ for MAY

Options

Replies

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day to all the moms in this forum!

May we all have a good and peaceful day with family.

Jeannie
  • charlenekco
    charlenekco Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm brand new to this site...just learned of it yesterday! So happy to be here.:heart:
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day to all the MOM's out there..
    I am never going to weigh myself again... got on the scale and it was up 1 more pound from yesterday... ????
    I changed the batteries.. maybe I should THROW it away?
    I am sure it was water weight, as I had some gyro's last night, on a salad, when we went to a pita place...
    I will drink LOTS of water today... dam Sodium anyway!!!!
    You all have a great day,
    Natalie
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    BUMP.... I'm off to spend Mother's Day with my mom. Will check in later. (It's hard to keep up with all of you!!)
  • edmontonukeplayer
    edmontonukeplayer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Happy Mother's Day.

I have a bump to talk about. Although I have been logging food and doing well for the past 15 day (thanks MFP for keeping track), last evening I had an episode of emotional eating. Seemed to come out of nowhere as no 'triggers' that I can identify although I was cravings a treat all day (for me that meant a DQ chocolate milkshake which I didn't satisfy). I know I was tired all day and was turning to foods I had in the house to manage. I logged all food up to my evening "outburst": not good. Next time I will try taking a nap and perhaps apple cider vinegar as Michele has shared (thanks!). The other strategy I may try using next time is driving to get what I am craving and counting it in my calorie logging; perhaps that will make the difference. Today, I have decided to let last evenings episode go and get back on track today so this does not become a longer tern problem.

Kackie thanks so much for sharing your college friends rule i.e. for every splurge she has one food cycle of healthy eating. I do think it is these simple immediate rules and behavioural responses that help. This is one 'rule' I will incorporate.

When I first started my career I worked shiftwork which included the midnight shift. Many colleagues would eat a meal at night but I found eating at night turned my whole system around too much. So I drank water or tea while working at night and ate only during the day time hours. I believe this habit has also helped me some with weigh management over the years. Now with menopause raging and serving up many sleepless nights I maintain my habit of not eating during overnight hours and at this time of life, I am not fighting the urge to eat during sleepless nights. Small things I am thankful for!

Sending out hopes for a healthy day for all,
    Karlene
  • eotrg
    eotrg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So excited, my granddaughter, who is due today with their first baby, is in labor! It's still early labor, but she was admitted, and I'll be off to the hospital later to be with them. What a great Mother's Day gift! :heart: :smile:
    Deborah
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :drinker:

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother's day x
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day to all!
    Charlene, welcome!
    Kackie, chigger bites are miserable and last way too long! Nothing seems to work on them either. I usually end up painting them with fingernail polish.
    Deborah, a new grandchild on the way! How exciting!
    Off to get some chores done ~ Later!
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day Ladies,
    I hope your day has been good so far. Heather had all of the ladies and girls in family at her house for brunch. It was nice just to sit and talk and eat. I did not do too badly. She is also watching so we had good choices. ate a little more than usual but that was breakfast and lunch so not too bad. the grandkids gave me a gift card for mani and pedi and hubby gave me one for massage. need to book that soon. love massages. It was a nice morning and now we are just resting. enjoy your day ladies.
    vicki M
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Maxy - 100 miles for May, great target Maxy! I hope you get there, I'm with you all the way on that!
    Michele - crocheting and keeping food out of your mouth! Very productive!! :smile:
    Hope you all have a great Mother's Day over there! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,949 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Michele, I have been thinking about your question of whether I would have a piece of fruit to celebrate someone's birthday......I knew my answer would be no, but it took me awhile to figure out why.:bigsmile: I finally figured out that there are several reasons:flowerforyou: I plan my food for the day ahead of time and so when something is offered to me, I turn it down whether it is cheesecake or celery or anything in between :flowerforyou: when I started this journey I made the decision to give up recreational eating so eating in honor of someone's birthday is recreational according to my definition :flowerforyou: I refuse to eat just to make someone else feel better.

:flowerforyou: that being said, I make decisions about events all the time and have sometimes decided to eat what is served for a reason that is specific to the occasion and usually I can't wait to get back to my regular habits as soon as possible:bigsmile: and we are planning to go to a Seattle Mariners game next month and I plan to eat garlic fries and something else that is totally bad for me (hot dog, or hamburger, or stuffed potato but not sweets)

:flowerforyou: Viv, I think the reason many of us find it easier to log our food, is that we plan the day's food ahead of time and eat a lot of the same things day after day so it's not so hard to remember what we ate

:flowerforyou: Deborah, congratulations on the new granddaughter:bigsmile: and welcome to the group.

:flowerforyou: Kackie, I am so sorry to hear about the chigger bites on top of the spider bites

:flowerforyou: Angel, it is a great victory to have days of not going over your calorie goals.....good going :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Charlene, welcome :bigsmile: we are happy to have you with us

:flowerforyou: Natalie, the only way it works to weigh yourself every day is to write down the weight on a chart and continue with your healthy eating.........weight fluctuates a lot day to day:flowerforyou: the trends over time mean more and never, never, never give up

:bigsmile: today is our Isagenix cleanse day so except for a long walk at the dog park in the morning, it has been restful.....DH and I took a drive into the Olympic National Forest, took a nap, and are now watching TV and folding laundry :bigsmile:
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I hope you all enjoyed the day! We had a nice balance of enjoying the day and getting things done. We got to visit my mother-in-law and I got to see my sister for a bit. I really miss my mom. My godchildren all called me from early this morning through the day and that was just so heart- warming. I may not “have children” but we are so lucky to “have” wonderful children in our life. We did some yard work and got our porch cleaned and ready for summer. I even got my time in at the gym.
    I really enjoyed reading some of the guidelines people set to monitor food intake. It really makes sense to set up the external controls because I know that when I go on automatic, I get into trouble.

Kackie and Natalie…. So the scale was up three today…so down 1 which is more my speed. I think new batteries are in order or throwing it away may be the best idea. Natalie…since really monitoring myself these past couple of months, I see sodium as a big problem for me. I have a Keurig and we love it. There are so many kinds of coffee to try..Enjoy, Kackie!

Deborah…. I hope all is well with the new grandchild. Keep us posted.

Good Night, All!
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great Mother's Day. I am going to make MONDAYS my weigh day, so I will be good over the weekend.
    I was sorta good, had chinese take out for dinner at daughters, chicken and veggies, no rice... did drink 12 glasses of water today, 2 fruits.. one yogurt... rode bike 30 minutes outside...
    See you tomorrow.
    Natalie
  • maxymom
    maxymom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Kackie, :flowerforyou:

:noway: I am really worried about your spider bite. Please go to the doctor if everything isn't perfect tomorrow (not counting the chigger bites, which last a long time, but are just annoying). The fact that it caused fever and chills may mean a brown recluse bite, and those are dangerous. Plus examine the bite area carefully, because what is small on the outside may have a large area underneath.

Several years ago a dear friend of mine had a small bite, which she did not think much about, and some light, flu-like symptoms. She went to the Dr's next day for a checkup and mentioned it. He slapped her in the hospital pronto, and just in time, because her organs started to shut down and she had to have a chunk of flesh the size of a blackboard eraser removed from her thigh at the site of the bite. She is ok now, but it was a long road. Before this I never worried about spider bites much. So please have it looked at tomorrow if you still have any symptoms.:heart:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning Ladies - Happy Mother's Day for yesterday for all those celebrating it yesterday :flowerforyou:

:laugh: Only a few pages to check this morning, much easier to cope with. :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Kackie I hope your chigger bites/spider bite turn out to be nothing serious, but as suggested you maybe should see your doctor to be checked over - just to be on the safe side, especially as you said you have not been feeling too well.

:flowerforyou: Vicki what a lovely way tosepnd your day, with all the ladies and girls in your family, enjoy your massage, mini and pedi.

:flowerforyou: Deborah any news of the new grandbaby yet? How exciting for you.

:flowerforyou: Barbiecat, my aim is to be more like you with the social eating and not eat cake especially when brought in to work for people's birthdays. As you say if I had some sort of intolerance to a particular food, they would be understanding and not offer it to me.

:happy: I weighed in this morning and I have lost 1 pound :happy: Although I'm feeling slightly less "blah" mentally, I am sooooo tired, usually my get up and go comes back when I have a day off work (especially if the sun is shining!) but lately I can't seem to get my energy levels back. Maybe I need more veggies. I think I need some more aloe vera juice, don't know why, but it always makes me feel better. It could also be the heat, we've had a slow start to spring over here in the UK, then suddenly it changed and it has been very warm even hot somedays, added to the hot flushes (flashes) I've been having lately I've been struggling a bit.

:huh: Where does the time go, I'd better get myself ready, time to take the doggies out for their morning walk, I need to get to work early or at least on time today :laugh: my colleage Jane is off so I am on my own today and tomorrow.

Bye for now, hope everyone has a super day, be good!

Viv xx
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

I'm off to see my cardiologist today. It would be nice if I could get the all clear to start driving again, even if it is only short distances. Until I can start acting normally, I don't think I'm going to start feeling normal.

This morning I was brave enough to get on the scales and I'm actually down a pound but I'm not going to change my ticker as I don't feel confident that it will stay gone until I can start moving around more. Hopefully I will be able to start my aqua fit classes again in a few weeks, although I'm going to be a bit self conscious of my scar which will show above my costume - I guess I'm going to have to get used to that. I have so many scars on my body now that it looks like a map of the world!

My apologies for not replying to individuals - I'm barely keeping up with the posts these days .... there seems to be so many of us 'vintage' ladies on here now.

Off for a walk round my gardens before I get ready for my hospital appointment.

Have a great day everyone.

Love
    Amanda x
  • eotrg
    eotrg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who sent good wishes for my granddaughter and her hubby. J.J. was delivered at 8:59 pm EST, and he was 8 lbs-3 oz and 21.5 inches long. My grandaugter did FANTASTIC. From very early labor to delivery was only about 12 hours total, and she only had to push for less than 30 minutes. I'm one tired and happy GREAT GRANDMA!
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! :happy: I am excited about this week because I actually have NOTHING out of the ordinary on my calendar! PHEW! :tongue: These last few weeks have about done me in, and this weekend with the grandkids did do me in! DH and I were exhausted last night! :yawn: But, today is a new day, I'm rested and anxious to get started on a week mostly being home. I did a bad, bad thing over the weekend. I attempted to track, but didn't. That's a definite no-no for me. So my goal for this week is to track and walk since my knee feels just about all the way healed. I guess not walking really helped, but I have a lot to catch up on. Will ease back into it.

:flowerforyou: Barbie, you are so strong. Tracking and sticking to it is so smart.

:flowerforyou: Maxy, 100 miles......you will be skinny in no time! :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Linda, continue to keep us motivated because I'm sticking to my 60 miles even tho I haven't walked for a week.

:flowerforyou: Amanda, it doesn't matter if you reply to us individually. We're just thrilled to hear from you...period! Your statement is so true. When you can act normal, you'll feel normal.

:flowerforyou: Deborah, congrats on the new baby. There's nothing like a new baby to hold and cuddle.

:flowerforyou: Kackie, somehow I missed that you were having bite troubles again. That's worrisome! Please so go be checked and keep us posted.

:flowerforyou: Natalie, throw that darn scale away and don't get another one! You're addicted! Your body is acting normal. After a loss of several pounds, it's not unusual for your body to stop losing, stabilize with a little fluxuation, and then lose again. I known mine does that and it was frustrating at first until I figured out what was going on. Don't get yourself in a twit again, you've been doing so good!!!!!!!!

Gotta get on with my day. Have a good one.

Dee :smile:
  • goldwingrider
    goldwingrider Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Deborah on your new great grandson!