Male body pressure becoming the same as women?

Options

Replies

• decy63
    decy63 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Not to mention manscaping.

My body is more untamed jungle and is staying that way.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    Why in the hell do people want to be victims all the time?

Because for some people whining makes them feel good. They get attention from it, so it keeps the cycle going.

Yup, it becomes a positive feedback loop. You see it in poor behaviors from dogs who are ignored.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Who really wants to see a bunch of flannel wearing lumbersexuals sitting in a cafe sipping their philz coffee and talking about their flawed concepts on feelings and their importance to society?

Sound dreadful.

I much prefer not letting people express themselves how they wish.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I don't feel it personally.

But then I'm not young enough to care what other people think anyway...
  • dbmata
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Who really wants to see a bunch of flannel wearing lumbersexuals sitting in a cafe sipping their philz coffee and talking about their flawed concepts on feelings and their importance to society?

Sound dreadful.

I much prefer expecting adults to act like adults, as opposed to socially maladjusted, immature dip wads who have an over inflated sense of self importance.

Yes, I did just spend a weekend in SF's SoMa neighborhood.
  • dbmata
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Because for some people whining makes them feel good. They get attention from it, so it keeps the cycle going.

And for some men it may not be that at all and they get psychologically broken by trying to live up to professional and physical standards which are unrealistic.

Men are different with varying levels of coping mechanisms to deal with these issues on an individual level.

We are not one homogeneous unit who react the same to the mantra "man up".

When is the last time you see men come together to talk about their feelings?

Well, there was the Superbowl and...

My point is perhaps we shouldn't allow men to be pigeon holed in this way.
    maybe we should.

The same people that want to watch the Kardashians in the Hamptons?

Kimye Westashian!
  • msf74
    Options

Sound dreadful.

I much prefer expecting adults to act like adults, as opposed to socially maladjusted, immature dip wads who have an over inflated sense of self importance.

And maybe some men do not react the same way you do because they do not have the same coping mechanisms to deal with "adult life."

• dbmata
    Options

Sound dreadful.

And maybe some men do not react the same way you do because they do not have the same coping mechanisms to deal with "adult life."

True, not everyone had to earn what they have, or stand up on their own two feet.

My suggestion, is that they try. I see no value to society or to the individual to celebrate immaturity or mediocrity.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Guys giving a crap about what other guys think is pretty stupid.

Girls giving a crap about what other girls think is pretty stupid, too, but I think we're all guilty of it on occasion.

• nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Not. Even. Close.

Most of the most vitriolic comments about women's bodies are from other women. Most men don't care.

Jesus Christ.

It's like you read my mind.

• msf74
    Options

Sound dreadful.

True, not everyone had to earn what they have, or stand up on their own two feet.

My suggestion, is that they try. I see no value to society or to the individual to celebrate immaturity or mediocrity.

And maybe it is exactly attitudes like this which are the problem.

If a man wants to be aspirational then great but what's wrong with being "mediocre"? Or, what's wrong with being a man who has an average physique, who earns a mediocre wage, who marries the girl next door and contributes in his own small way to the world he lives in?

Hypermasculine males do not have the monopoly on masculinity or get to define what it means universally.

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Not. Even. Close.

Most of the most vitriolic comments about women's bodies are from other women. Most men don't care.

Jesus Christ.

I've honestly never had guys judge my body either, despite me judging my own. I'll complain my boobs are too small, they say they like them. Or one time I told a guy that my legs were jiggly and he was like "dude it's just water" lol. Women ARE super aware of others' appearance. It's lame.

Unfortunately, I have had men judge my body, or feel the need to comment, even though I didn't say anything first. When I was younger, I got overly upset about it, now I just blow them off and tell them that's the last time they will see me naked! LOL
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This is something I've seen a lot when stumbling into the bodybuilding.com misc forum (clearly not my demographic but fascinating to read, like watching a National Geographic special on a different culture.) There's a ton of focus/worry/gnashing of teeth over height and hair. A lot of it is phrased in a "will girls like me" way and it's kind of sad to see how many guys seem to take the negativity to heart. I think guys are harsher on guys than are women and the vice versa is true as well.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Not. Even. Close.

Jesus Christ.

I've honestly never had guys judge my body either, despite me judging my own. I'll complain my boobs are too small, they say they like them. Or one time I told a guy that my legs were jiggly and he was like "dude it's just water" lol. Women ARE super aware of others' appearance. It's lame.

Unfortunately, I have had men judge my body, or feel the need to comment, even though I didn't say anything first. When I was younger, I got overly upset about it, now I just blow them off and tell them that's the last time they will see me naked! LOL

Maybe it's a canadian thing :p
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Sound dreadful.

If a man wants to be aspirational then great but what's wrong with being "mediocre"? Or, what's wrong with being a man who has an average physique, who earns a mediocre wage, who marries the girl next door and contributes in his own small way to the world he lives in?

Hypermasculine males do not have the monopoly on masculinity or get to define what it means universally.

Touche. Not everyone wants that you know destine for greatness. I do but yeah not everyone does. There is nothing wrong with being average. Now do I want to be average? NO

• dbmata
    edited February 2015
    Options

Sound dreadful.

Seriously? What's wrong with being mediocre? You really just asked that?

Yeah, I get it, you may not be the next inductee into MENSA, or the Illuminati... but you don't want to be the best you that you can be?

I don't even want to understand that type of approach to life.

Women, children, and the weak do not have the monopoly on getting to define what masculine, or even maleness means universally. If you want the right to define something, earn that right, and be able to defend the definition. You can't do that by promoting mediocrity.

Also, I'm sorry, if you aren't masculine, and don't want to be, you have no right to define for others what masculine is.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Sound dreadful.

Seriously? What's wrong with being mediocre?

Yeah, I get it, you may not be the next inductee into MENSA, or the Illuminati... but you don't want to be the best you that you can be?

Women, children, and the weak do not have the monopoly on getting to define what masculine, or even maleness means universally. If you want the right to define something, earn that right, and be able to defend the definition. You can't do that by promoting mediocrity.

You wont understand it and neither will I.
  • dbmata
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Sound dreadful.

Seriously? What's wrong with being mediocre?

You wont understand it and neither will I.

I made a few edits, but yeah...

I do not understand why someone wouldn't want to be the best they can be.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Hey, I went there last Feb.