Don't read this if brutal honesty (or profanity) offends you..

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @laurend224

Every fitness group I belong to has that detox/cleanse/sugar is evil nonsense and I should post this link to all of them.

And then the anti-GMO folks are in every political group I'm in :neutral_face:
    Ditto that!! :disappointed:
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    This is right on:

You Don’t Know What a Treat Is

Treat /tret/: defn: an event or item that is out of the ordinary and gives great pleasure

You know the part about great pleasure. Chocolate tastes good. Wine goes down smooth. Nachos and wings are delicious. Cookies should be their own food group.

But you missed a part I think.

‘An event or item that is out of the ordinary’

100 years ago you had cake on your birthday and maybe a family member or two. 70 years ago you had a milkshake a few times a year at the drugstore soda fountain. 20 years ago you ordered Chinese food (the nasty deep fried North American version) a couple times a year as a family or at a party.

Today is different. EVERY SINGLE ******* DAY you are exposed to ‘treats’. Donuts and chocolate milk on the way home from your kids sporting events. Trays of cookies in the office lounge. Bags of chips in the cupboard.

Every. Single. Day.

That’s without dinners and events every weekend or birthday parties, anniversaries, baby showers, sports events, holidays, and the plethora of celebratory events.

‘Treats’ are something out of the ordinary. If it happens more than once a month it is no longer out of the ordinary. Stop saying treat. You aren’t having a treat.

It comes down to sacrifice and commitment, like we talked about earlier. Come on. You’re a grown *** adult making their own decisions. Don’t delude yourself in an attempt to justify the fact you are fully responsible for the **** you plow into your mouth.

You are just eating ****. And that’s fine. I don’t care. It’s your life. Don’t cry over the blubber hanging over your belt though.
    (that last line is kind of unnecessary imo)

Do you know, I've been bashed on the forums for pretty much saying this? (Not the last part, but the treat thing?)

This was how I was raised. We had treats as treats. On special occasions and visits with the grandparents. Realizing that was a huge part in me making peace with sugar.

I don't doubt it, because it sounds too much like "eat 'clean'/homecooked/whatever and have cake sometimes" instead of "eat whatever you want as long as you hit your macros" which is SIX OF ONE HALF A DOZEN OF THE OTHER but the latter phrasing is just much more popular.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I really want to post that like on FB, but I don't want to deal with the fallout excuses that will occur. :p

Just posted it on mine and changed my profile pic to the "I'm not an a**hole" one.

Awesome article and absolutely true. It should be a sticky in the sea of desolation and failure that is the so called Motivation forum.

Is Facebook really that much of an issue with stuff? I'm constantly seeing people here say they posted stuff on Facebook and it became a s*** storm.

Sorry, I've never had Facebook.

It probably depends on how whiny and bitchy your facebook friends are. Most of my FB friends are actual friends and family...I don't tend to hang with bitchy and whiny people, so for the most part anything I post is going to be ok...but sometimes the family can get a little uppity and I can't really do anything about them...just stuck with them.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I really want to post that like on FB, but I don't want to deal with the fallout excuses that will occur. :p

Just posted it on mine and changed my profile pic to the "I'm not an a**hole" one.

Awesome article and absolutely true. It should be a sticky in the sea of desolation and failure that is the so called Motivation forum.

Is Facebook really that much of an issue with stuff? I'm constantly seeing people here say they posted stuff on Facebook and it became a s*** storm.

Yeah I always ask myself when I see that "If they have so much of an issue with the things you say then why are they your friends?"

You can't unfriend your family.... I tried. I got yelled at by my mama. ;)

That is why I quit facebook. No regrets.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I wanted to post this to Facebook, and did-but deleted it right away. Posting status updates there makes me uncomfortable, and I'm really trying not to put a lot of my fitness stuff there. I don't think any of my friends would give me a hard time about that article though.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    'You have to make sacrifice to stay healthy. Deal with it. You will have to turn down the donuts. Pass over the ice cream. Skip the odd party.
    Forever? No. You can add these into a healthy life for sure. Not daily. Maybe not even weekly. 95% of your diet has to be perfectly healthy. That is the reality.'

This is the only part I kinda disagree with. You can fit a couple scoops of icecream into your calorie allowance per day pretty easily. As for donuts, not daily, probably, but certainly weekly if you're careful. I certainly don't think I could ever hit 95% 'healthy' food but my weight loss has been going pretty dang well.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    This is right on:

Treat /tret/: defn: an event or item that is out of the ordinary and gives great pleasure

You know the part about great pleasure. Chocolate tastes good. Wine goes down smooth. Nachos and wings are delicious. Cookies should be their own food group.

100 years ago you had cake on your birthday and maybe a family member or two. 70 years ago you had a milkshake a few times a year at the drugstore soda fountain. 20 years ago you ordered Chinese food (the nasty deep fried North American version) a couple times a year as a family or at a party.

Today is different. EVERY SINGLE ******* DAY you are exposed to ‘treats’. Donuts and chocolate milk on the way home from your kids sporting events. Trays of cookies in the office lounge. Bags of chips in the cupboard.

Every. Single. Day.

That’s without dinners and events every weekend or birthday parties, anniversaries, baby showers, sports events, holidays, and the plethora of celebratory events.

‘Treats’ are something out of the ordinary. If it happens more than once a month it is no longer out of the ordinary. Stop saying treat. You aren’t having a treat.

It comes down to sacrifice and commitment, like we talked about earlier. Come on. You’re a grown *** adult making their own decisions. Don’t delude yourself in an attempt to justify the fact you are fully responsible for the **** you plow into your mouth.

You are just eating ****. And that’s fine. I don’t care. It’s your life. Don’t cry over the blubber hanging over your belt though.

Do you know, I've been bashed on the forums for pretty much saying this? (Not the last part, but the treat thing?)

This was how I was raised. We had treats as treats. On special occasions and visits with the grandparents. Realizing that was a huge part in me making peace with sugar.

I don't doubt it, because it sounds too much like "eat 'clean'/homecooked/whatever and have cake sometimes" instead of "eat whatever you want as long as you hit your macros" which is SIX OF ONE HALF A DOZEN OF THE OTHER but the latter phrasing is just much more popular.

Actually, it was... "well, did you eat fruit?"

I just... sometimes you can't win.

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Yes FB is dreadful nowadays. I can't be myself with my exes mother trying to friend me, I don't want to share all my 'moments' with randoms anymore.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    This is right on:

Every. Single. Day.

Actually, it was... "well, did you eat fruit?"

I just... sometimes you can't win.

Lol! Yeah, I know. I think it's better not to try, really.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    This is right on:

Every. Single. Day.

I've been bashed because I don't indulge in treats. Apparently, I'm miserable and have a bad relationship with food because I don't want to eat 2000 calories and slow down my weight loss... I though the fact that I was obese was what made me miserable and showed I had a bad relationship with food. Go figure...

When I get to the Promised Land, er, I mean maintenance, I will have treats as described by you and the author. Once in a blue moon. And I will replace some of those treats with other nonfood treats like long bike rides, bikinis, killer outfits, etc.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    THAT was ^%#^&# AWESOME!

And although I shoveled a bunch of snow after work that's got me motivated to still go do a quick workout.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Very true statements in that article.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The first point really hit home for me. It wasn't until I realized it wasn't a bad situation that made me put on weight but it was my bad way of handling the situation that I was really able to gain control of my weight.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Yeah I always ask myself when I see that "If they have so much of an issue with the things you say then why are they your friends?"

You can't unfriend your family.... I tried. I got yelled at by my mama. ;)

That is why I quit facebook. No regrets.

I made it 8 months, but my daughter's Girl Scout troop only shared info on their FB page an not anywhere else. I was tired of her missing out.
  • TwistedFlowers
    Options
    Cd9A748f5-A.jpg
  • tomatoey
    Options
    @laurend224

Every fitness group I belong to has that detox/cleanse/sugar is evil nonsense and I should post this link to all of them.

And then the anti-GMO folks are in every political group I'm in :neutral_face:

Your anti-sugar people will like it too, though. Because it's sensible, and it is what everyone on a sane program, no matter which nutritional approach they identify with, is doing. I think it's pretty funny that everyone in the thread so far likes this article. Goes to show that all this IIFYM/clean eating conflict on MFP is only superficial. All these cross-talkers are really doing the same thing.
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    awesome!!!.....too bloody right!!!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    'You have to make sacrifice to stay healthy. Deal with it. You will have to turn down the donuts. Pass over the ice cream. Skip the odd party.
    Forever? No. You can add these into a healthy life for sure. Not daily. Maybe not even weekly. 95% of your diet has to be perfectly healthy. That is the reality.'

This is the only part I kinda disagree with. You can fit a couple scoops of icecream into your calorie allowance per day pretty easily. As for donuts, not daily, probably, but certainly weekly if you're careful. I certainly don't think I could ever hit 95% 'healthy' food but my weight loss has been going pretty dang well.

I agree. I think the rest of it is good, but the idea that you have to skip parties to avoid eating unhealthy food is nonsense. You could (a) not eat at the party, or (b) figure out how to make it fit. And that's assuming everything there is unhealthy...
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I think this should be a "sticky" for newbies. It's all very true. I think getting past the "excuses" is the biggest thing most of us face. And seriously, when you have no excuses it really becomes pretty easy.
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    right as rain