Don't read this if brutal honesty (or profanity) offends you..

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    Wheelhouse15, lovely way to end a controversial debate. I think you proved a point in elegance: balance on the forums and in life is achievable through presenting different and sometimes opposing arguments.

Must say I agree with you on most points.

My own comments were primarily related to the "habitual" whiner and excuse maker - not beginners or people "really" doing the best they can. I know people that for lack of a better word - refuse to grow up. They have been whining for "years" - and no matter what the topic - weight, marriage, relationships, career etc - they play the victim.

Yeah, people with that special victim mentality will drive you nuts. :confounded:
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Yes I printed this out and highlighted the good parts in yellow.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Verdenal wrote: »
    Oohh I'm going to post this on one of my fasting groups, as there's so many whiny cry babies there.
    My whole post got deleted once because I said the word "damn". I'll probably get banned after posting this :o

I read a post by a woman who's doing a PSMF and has lost only a couple of pounds after a month. She's clearly doing it wrong, but all she did in response to other people's comments was make excuses. I wish I could send her this blog post.

I actually considered running PSMF just an experiment to see if I physically and mentally could. I decided not to do it because I can see myself not strangling someone in the first 3 days.

Best to avoid any big bodybuilders who are using that for stage prep -- flying plates and dumbbells may be good for agility training but can certianly hurt! ;)
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Massive cultural chasm - his melodramatic hyperbole doesn't translate to the UK; a nation defined by our self-deprecation and gentle grumblings over cups of tea.
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    Wheelhouse15, lovely way to end a controversial debate. I think you proved a point in elegance: balance on the forums and in life is achievable through presenting different and sometimes opposing arguments.

Must say I agree with you on most points.

My own comments were primarily related to the "habitual" whiner and excuse maker - not beginners or people "really" doing the best they can. I know people that for lack of a better word - refuse to grow up. They have been whining for "years" - and no matter what the topic - weight, marriage, relationships, career etc - they play the victim.

NikonPal you have earned my respect and admiration a long time ago! I will go on record and say that with your dedication, consistency and success you can write this very article and nobody should dare dismiss it because you write from a place of power, from your own experience. You're a fighter in this game not just someone on the sidelines screaming.
    In the end, this just proves that we are wonderfully complex beings and we shouldn't be summarized by a single paragraph!!!
    Isn't it amazing how one single article can spark such different reactions in readers?

Have a fabulous day!!! :)
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    NikonPal you have earned my respect and admiration a long time ago! I will go on record and say that with your dedication, consistency and success you can write this very article and nobody should dare dismiss it because you write from a place of power, from your own experience. You're a fighter in this game not just someone on the sidelines screaming.
    In the end, this just proves that we are wonderfully complex beings and we shouldn't be summarized by a single paragraph!!!
    Isn't it amazing how one single article can spark such different reactions in readers?

Have a fabulous day!!! :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    This looks like it might be a good read.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    Oohh I'm going to post this on one of my fasting groups, as there's so many whiny cry babies there.
    My whole post got deleted once because I said the word "damn". I'll probably get banned after posting this :o

I read a post by a woman who's doing a PSMF and has lost only a couple of pounds after a month. She's clearly doing it wrong, but all she did in response to other people's comments was make excuses. I wish I could send her this blog post.

I actually considered running PSMF just an experiment to see if I physically and mentally could. I decided not to do it because I can see myself not strangling someone in the first 3 days.

Best to avoid any big bodybuilders who are using that for stage prep -- flying plates and dumbbells may be good for agility training but can certianly hurt! ;)
    I have not seen very many people at all that have done it successfully. Over on BB. I've never actually seen someone try it here, at least in the forums. Most here don't know what it is and I'm sure it won't go over well.

True but I've seen people try it in the gym under the Dukan name. It's easy to tell when they are on it!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    BA in sociology=least rigorous undergraduate degree available

+1, said the clinical psychologist :smiley:
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    This guy isn't being brutally honest. He's just blaming other people for his failure as a successful motivator. In the first two minutes of meeting someone, he's not assessing where they are and what are the best tools to help motivate them. He's merely assessing whether or not they will be successful with the single tool he's offering, and he can't even see that's what he's doing.

And he misspelled "title."
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Gosh, if being healthy were as easy as following this guy's simplistic advice we would all look fantastic. America is in the middle of an obesity crisis. The issue is much, much more complicated than this guy's advice can fix. Culture, emotional problems, poverty, just a simple lack of love and respect for each other are all things contributing to this problem.

I agree, however, that realizing your are responsible for fixing your own situation is the first step to take. I just disagree that it is that easy to do.
  • palwithme
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »
    This guy isn't being brutally honest. He's just blaming other people for his failure as a successful motivator. In the first two minutes of meeting someone, he's not assessing where they are and what are the best tools to help motivate them. He's merely assessing whether or not they will be successful with the single tool he's offering, and he can't even see that's what he's doing.

And he misspelled "title."

Ha Ha. Good point.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Also don't read if you only have a few minutes and need someone to GET TO THE POINT. Why are you (the author) rambling about lions in captivity in a blog about weight loss? The swearing is the least of your problems. And you may be honest but you also sound a bit conceited. Just being honest.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Wow exactly what I needed to read this morning
  • Tonilynn70
    Tonilynn70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Can he come live with me fora week? LOL It was not offensive and it is something we all should read.. because it's honestly not just about weigh loss.. It's about our lifestyles in general.
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This I awesome. Love the paragraph where he speaks about how privileged we all are. I always try to remember this when I am upset about something.
  • palwithme
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    DeWoSa wrote: »
    This guy isn't being brutally honest. He's just blaming other people for his failure as a successful motivator."

You are aware of the phrase 'lead a horse to water', right?

He's absolutely spot on.

I'll lay money on the people getting butthurt about his article being the ones who will ultimately fail in their goals.

There is a difference between getting butt hurt and disagreeing. I think if his approach works for someone that is great. I don't know, if someone tells me they don't give a s*** about me I tend to move on.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Well I agree on the guy's take on what a treat is and that it's not to be consumed often. I wish more people on here did actually understand that rather than advocating regular consumption of junk and fast food "because you can fit it in your calories" (which many of us can NOT, if we plan to eat more than once a day.... not that I want to in the first place. I cook better than the McD's.)
  • kandeelopez
    kandeelopez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! Totally useful! <3