Lawsuit 'Discriminatory' Gluten-Free Menu

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    To have an educated and informed opinion about the McDonald's case, you should read it. I'm not advocating for one side or the other, but I do know WHY she sued and why she WON the lawsuit. In this particular case it's not the way the media made it out to be, but as Americans, we consumed the way the case was presented by the media and never gave it a second thought...we just blame the old woman for a frivolous lawsuit. If it HAD been frivolous, it would have been thrown out. Just so you know.

Hush now. She was just a stupid old lady.
  • Adrianox85
    Adrianox85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    To have an educated and informed opinion about the McDonald's case, you should read it. I'm not advocating for one side or the other, but I do know WHY she sued and why she WON the lawsuit. In this particular case it's not the way the media made it out to be, but as Americans, we consumed the way the case was presented by the media and never gave it a second thought...we just blame the old woman for a frivolous lawsuit. If it HAD been frivolous, it would have been thrown out. Just so you know.

I think I remember seeing some pictures of her skin from one of the 'follow up' stories out there - pretty gruesome stuff. When I first heard about the lawsuit I just assumed they were regular burns - not third degree flesh melting burns. Echh.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Someone may have already mentioned this but the outcome here will most likely not be a reduction in the price for gluten free meals weather she wins or not. They will probably pull all gluten free items before eating the difference in cost.

There was a similar impact at a chain restaurant that provided full nutritional info. Someone sued them saying it was incorrect and made them fat... so they just decided they didn't want the liability. Now there's no more nutritional info available on their website.

Yes! I like that result, honestly.

It was probably the right thing to do anyhow... though a chain restaurant, they prepare food by hand and I cannot imagine they are particularly consistent with quantities of things that are typically added "to taste" or used as garnishes and sauces. The numbers were probably largely meaningless.

They are, the variables are unreal, I learned that my first week in the food industry. It's fine to get the numbers, but any legitimate chain would at best be within 50% plus or minus of their posted numbers.

Do you really want to try to do anything with data like that?

I know...I'm always wondering about that myself when cooking. Do these numbers mean anything? Even if I know what I put in, how much fat did I render off that duck breast? How much olive oil is ON my sauteed veggies and how much is really just left in the pan. I have a hard time logging for this same reason. Seems only useful with packaged and processed foods, or simple things I eat raw and weigh.

At home I log full value of everything, if something is rendered off or left in the pan, bonus. .

That's really tough when you're on a razor edge of weight loss - at my weight and bf percentage, I don't want to accidentally eat too little. Especially if I'm working to improve athletic performance at the same time. It can be a bit of a challenge... and you just have to adjust based on experience.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    gwensoul wrote: »
    Almost everyone has spilled a drink on themselves at some point or another.
    right- so why should you get paid a boat load of money for doing something that everyone does and it's considered something stupid.
    -
    Also- we ALL know- those thin cups- if you squeeze them hard- with no lid- they collapse- and coffee spills out.

IT WAS BETWEEN HER LEGS.

no.sympathy.

I feel like that's an instant- no duh.

Just because you and I know that doesn't mean that all people know that. Honestly, they need to warn people. I don't agree with frivolous law suits like the OP, but for things that have the potential to cause injury, they need to put a warning on it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm finding it hilarious about the number of people defending the coffee woman about the water being "superheated."

Does anyone realize that coffee NEEDS to be brewed at 80-95C (176-203F) for it to brew properly? Water at 60C would burn skin in 2 seconds. At 70C, less than a second. At 80C, you're talking second degree burns in less than a second.

Don't even get me started on tea, which NEEDS to be brewed at boiling (water doesn't get any hotter outside of a compressed environment) for most herbal teas, otherwise you don't get the full flavour.

Are you all saying that you want your coffee and tea from restaurants to taste bad, or do you want them to brew it and wait 10 minutes before giving it to you, so it can cool down to a point where it won't burn you??

You all need to grow up and get some common sense.

I don't think you've read the court case... or you would know that the coffee was brewed at about double that temperature. ABOVE boiling, I might add. Significantly above boiling. Not only was it brewed at an insane temp, it was mandated in corporate policy to be MAINTAINED at that temperature. So yes, she should have won that case and she DID win that case.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Someone may have already mentioned this but the outcome here will most likely not be a reduction in the price for gluten free meals weather she wins or not. They will probably pull all gluten free items before eating the difference in cost.

There was a similar impact at a chain restaurant that provided full nutritional info. Someone sued them saying it was incorrect and made them fat... so they just decided they didn't want the liability. Now there's no more nutritional info available on their website.

That wouldn't fly in NYC, where it is pretty much law to have caloric info on the menu.

Only for chain restaurants.

not even all chains... I think it's just certain categories of quick serve places

It's dependent on the number of restaurants that the chain has...I think it's 10 or 15 or something.

Interesting... city ordnance? I've never been to a chain in NYC, mainly because WHY

But if it were just based on number of restaurants and that law were applied more broadly in other geographies, that could be a real problem for chains that dont really prepare recipes consistently

It was part of the original NYC ordinance back in the day. The pilot that Bloomberg launched. I don't know the rules today. But that's why some have them and some don't.

I can just imagine a chain like McCormick and Schmicks...or any similar chains that prepare slightly more complicated food...having trouble with nutritional data being accurate. But now we've gone all off topic. My bad.

They all have recipes to base a ballpark figure on. It's never exact, but close enough. Website info for whatever chain isn't exact, either, since some people are heavy handed with their portions. It's more about saying, hey, this item as listed is around 1000 calories, not like, 300 calories, which you probably think it is.

We might maybe disagree about how useful that data is. I dont ever find myself thinking something is 300 calories only to find out it is instead 1000 calories. My ballpark needs to be pretty small... but maybe for many other people, those broad ranges are useful.

If I do buy a sandwich or salad for lunch I find it reasonably useful, because those are meals where I care about my calories being around 500 or lower. Sure, I could estimate okay, but I think with some of the quick places around here (like Pret or a place called Hannah's) they are close enough to be useable--or at least they haven't changed my loss rate even in weeks where I've gone there often, although I've been much better about making my own lunch lately.

A dinner out is a different thing in my mind and I just figure it will be lots of calories and impossible to estimate particularly well, and that's fine.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I'm finding it hilarious about the number of people defending the coffee woman about the water being "superheated."

Does anyone realize that coffee NEEDS to be brewed at 80-95C (176-203F) for it to brew properly? Water at 60C would burn skin in 2 seconds. At 70C, less than a second. At 80C, you're talking second degree burns in less than a second.

Don't even get me started on tea, which NEEDS to be brewed at boiling (water doesn't get any hotter outside of a compressed environment) for most herbal teas, otherwise you don't get the full flavour.

Are you all saying that you want your coffee and tea from restaurants to taste bad, or do you want them to brew it and wait 10 minutes before giving it to you, so it can cool down to a point where it won't burn you??

I don't think you've read the court case... or you would know that the coffee was brewed at about double that temperature.

Wait, what? No it wasn't.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

I don't think you've read the court case... or you would know that the coffee was brewed at about double that temperature. ABOVE boiling, I might add. Significantly above boiling. Not only was it brewed at an insane temp, it was mandated in corporate policy to be MAINTAINED at that temperature. So yes, she should have won that case and she DID win that case.
    Are you saying the water was between 356 and 406f?

chivalryrider - green tea is best at 180f. ;) I swear this, I have experimented!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    ErikThaRed wrote: »
    right- so why should you get paid a boat load of money for doing something that everyone does and it's considered something stupid.
    -
    Also- we ALL know- those thin cups- if you squeeze them hard- with no lid- they collapse- and coffee spills out.

IT WAS BETWEEN HER LEGS.

no.sympathy.

Just because you and I know that doesn't mean that all people know that. Honestly, they need to warn people. I don't agree with frivolous law suits like the OP, but for things that have the potential to cause injury, they need to put a warning on it.
    Warn people to not put hot liquids between their legs?

Holy effin spoon feeding, grab some balls and be responsible.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Yes! I like that result, honestly.

It was probably the right thing to do anyhow... though a chain restaurant, they prepare food by hand and I cannot imagine they are particularly consistent with quantities of things that are typically added "to taste" or used as garnishes and sauces. The numbers were probably largely meaningless.

They are, the variables are unreal, I learned that my first week in the food industry. It's fine to get the numbers, but any legitimate chain would at best be within 50% plus or minus of their posted numbers.

Do you really want to try to do anything with data like that?

I know...I'm always wondering about that myself when cooking. Do these numbers mean anything? Even if I know what I put in, how much fat did I render off that duck breast? How much olive oil is ON my sauteed veggies and how much is really just left in the pan. I have a hard time logging for this same reason. Seems only useful with packaged and processed foods, or simple things I eat raw and weigh.

At home I log full value of everything, if something is rendered off or left in the pan, bonus. .

That's really tough when you're on a razor edge of weight loss - at my weight and bf percentage, I don't want to accidentally eat too little. Especially if I'm working to improve athletic performance at the same time. It can be a bit of a challenge... and you just have to adjust based on experience.

I'll generally find a way to use the rendered or left behind fats, so I'm eating the full value of what I'm logging. For example, starchy veg is great to act as a repository for errant oils. With enough bacon fat, you can make even mashed cauliflower taste good.
  • renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    The McDonald's case was fair. No, it isn't smart to drive with coffee between your legs, but it isn't appropriate to use superheated water, which takes the coffee to an unsafe temperature.

That's what McDonald's got pinged for, not an isolated incident of someone being a dumbass, but for a failure of duty of care.

She wasn't driving. Common misconception. This was an older lady in the passanger seat and the car was parked while she took off the lid to put in suger and cream.

omg- and she sued because she spilled it while sitting in a none moving car??

I can't even.

This is why nearly every McDonalds now asks you if you want cream and sugar in your coffee.

The millions of dollars were not a reward to the victim, but a penalty to the company, they knew a problem existed and for financials reasons refused to address it.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That wouldn't fly in NYC, where it is pretty much law to have caloric info on the menu.

Only for chain restaurants.

not even all chains... I think it's just certain categories of quick serve places

It's dependent on the number of restaurants that the chain has...I think it's 10 or 15 or something.

Interesting... city ordnance? I've never been to a chain in NYC, mainly because WHY

But if it were just based on number of restaurants and that law were applied more broadly in other geographies, that could be a real problem for chains that dont really prepare recipes consistently

It was part of the original NYC ordinance back in the day. The pilot that Bloomberg launched. I don't know the rules today. But that's why some have them and some don't.

I can just imagine a chain like McCormick and Schmicks...or any similar chains that prepare slightly more complicated food...having trouble with nutritional data being accurate. But now we've gone all off topic. My bad.

They all have recipes to base a ballpark figure on. It's never exact, but close enough. Website info for whatever chain isn't exact, either, since some people are heavy handed with their portions. It's more about saying, hey, this item as listed is around 1000 calories, not like, 300 calories, which you probably think it is.

We might maybe disagree about how useful that data is. I dont ever find myself thinking something is 300 calories only to find out it is instead 1000 calories. My ballpark needs to be pretty small... but maybe for many other people, those broad ranges are useful.

If I do buy a sandwich or salad for lunch I find it reasonably useful, because those are meals where I care about my calories being around 500 or lower. Sure, I could estimate okay, but I think with some of the quick places around here (like Pret or a place called Hannah's) they are close enough to be useable--or at least they haven't changed my loss rate even in weeks where I've gone there often, although I've been much better about making my own lunch lately.

A dinner out is a different thing in my mind and I just figure it will be lots of calories and impossible to estimate particularly well, and that's fine.

True. I need to remember I'm not normal at being stuffed all day after half my meal out. I have a hard enough time meeting quadruple digits in my intake, so seeing any kind of amount over the 400 I would eat at any meal puts me right off.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    With enough bacon fat, you can make even mashed cauliflower taste good.

I...I want to believe...
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    -

IT WAS BETWEEN HER LEGS.

no.sympathy.

This reminds me of those warning labels on strollers that say, "remove child before folding."
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    -

IT WAS BETWEEN HER LEGS.

no.sympathy.

This reminds me of those warning labels on strollers that say, "remove child before folding."

That makes me sad people had to be reminded to remove their child before folding...Like that just made my head hurt :(
  • NJGamerChick
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    -

IT WAS BETWEEN HER LEGS.

no.sympathy.

That makes me sad people had to be reminded to remove their child before folding...Like that just made my head hurt :(

Because hairdryers in the shower is a good time saver?
  • renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad PF Chang's has gluten free options, when we visit the states my wife can have a treat of terrible deep fried yummy goodness of Chinese food.
    As for discrimination or disability, I kind of see a point, but not to the extent of a lawsuit.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    -

IT WAS BETWEEN HER LEGS.

no.sympathy.

Now that's just natural selection haha
  • kim_m_kk
    kim_m_kk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The more I think about it the more I think that Maybe the Ada part only applies to goverment funded entities such as schools so a no go with pf Chang. They can do as they want.
  • NJGamerChick
    Options
    -

IT WAS BETWEEN HER LEGS.

no.sympathy.

Now that's just natural selection haha

LOL! Truth.