I threw away Cheesecake!!!

Options

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    agraf01 wrote: »
    Great job. I honestly don't understand the criticism. Anyone who says you threw away "perfectly good food" must have a limited understanding of nutrition, you did yourself and perhaps another office mate a service, considering all the negative effects a slice of cheesecake could have on someone. I personally would appreciate it if people would refrain from dumping the goodies they don't want at the office (usually because they don't want to consume all those calories themselves). GOOD FOR YOU!!!

We lack understanding of nutrition because because we believe cheesecake is perfectly good food? Your statement is pretty ironic.

And who is he or you to say you did another coworker a service? It's not your job to control what others eat.
    Exactly what negative effects will cheesecake have on someone?

Negative effect of Cheesecake - one right here set people to argue. 9 long pages of arguments.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

Negative effect of Cheesecake - one right here set people to argue. 9 long pages of arguments.

• LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Great job. I honestly don't understand the criticism. Anyone who says you threw away "perfectly good food" must have a limited understanding of nutrition, you did yourself and perhaps another office mate a service, considering all the negative effects a slice of cheesecake could have on someone. I personally would appreciate it if people would refrain from dumping the goodies they don't want at the office (usually because they don't want to consume all those calories themselves). GOOD FOR YOU!!!
    Holy food police!

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Can't believe this thread is still alive and going...

Did anyone ever get the cheesecake out of the trash... This would have saved a lot remarks about wasting food.

To lose weight, if it tastes good spit it out, and if you can't read it (ingredients on label), don't eat it...
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I can't help myself, I have to keep coming back to this thread. Oh I want to roll around in cheesecake so bad now.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    im sure the starving children in Africa are very proud of you.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Ironic post is ironic.
  • kayleighalford9
    kayleighalford9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I threw outside a pack of biscuits my husband left out...while I get what some people are saying about waste its still better than it going on your waist.....well done
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    EmmieBaby wrote: »
    BUT Why did you throw out good food?! you could of just brought it back to the kitchen or give it to a coworker. I understand its the significance or symbolism of throwing out "junk" but at the same time...its cheesecake!
    Personally, if I saw someone putting something back or if I saw a slice already cut but no others cut, I'd be leery of that slice.

OP probably thought he had it in his calorie limit for the day and once started logging realized he didn't. Then instead of eating it anyway, he chucked it. Great, good for him. He made a healthy choice. Cheesecake is a dessert, a treat, and has virtually zero nutritive value.

For those going on about food waste, and third world countries, give me an F-ing break. This one man throwing out a single slice of cheese cake is not the end of the world. If food waste truly bugs you, then take a look at the dumpsters outside of grocery stores and restaurants.

This is a couple years old, but it puts food waste into perspective. Yes he talks about waste on an individual level, but unless you plan on buying pigs and feeding them all of your table scraps, lay off this guy for throwing away a single slice of cheesecake. http://www.ted.com/talks/tristram_stuart_the_global_food_waste_scandal?language=en
  • TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well done for resisting something you (clearly) would have felt bad about eating!

As for the food waste discussion that has erupted: In my opinion, it is not a case of the general global issue of food waste and over-consumption. Along those lines, we should never eat unnecessarily indulgent foods at all. What I -do- find potentially offensive by such an act is that someone else potentially made that cake or spent money on it. If that was me, I would be quite offended by seeing a barely touched or untouched piece in the trash can. I would not comprehend why someone just did not help themselves to it in the first place.

HOWEVER: It is not a big deal. At all. Sometimes, the potential social negatives of certain behaviour is outweighed by the positives to your own well-being.
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    wow you guys need to chill on the negative cheese cake remarks...have you any idea how much food is wasted every single day in North america? you're really guy drill the guy over one bloody slice? Good for you for fighting the urge! and so what if you threw it out? its delicious yes, but if its unhealthy for you its unhealthy for others. Think of it as saving someone from the unecessary excess of sugar!!!
  • SexyHealthyFit175
    SexyHealthyFit175 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    WayneBradt wrote: »
    Food milestone yesterday. Mid afternoon, about that time hunger starts. Quiet office, I walk in the kitchen and someone put out a whole cheesecake on the counter to share with everyone. My instinct, grab some and I did. Walked back to my office, began logging it in MFP. Right before I was about to eat it I stopped an threw it in the trash. I'm sure for some this sounds simple, for me this was huge. One, it's cheesecake, two I have difficulty wasting food (probably from growing up without much of it) and three it was cheesecake. Kinda proud of this moment.

This is awesome and just made my day!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    wow you guys need to chill on the negative cheese cake remarks...have you any idea how much food is wasted every single day in North america? you're really guy drill the guy over one bloody slice? Good for you for fighting the urge! and so what if you threw it out? its delicious yes, but if its unhealthy for you its unhealthy for others. Think of it as saving someone from the unecessary excess of sugar!!!

I weighed 102.2 pounds this morning. I could probably use some extra sugar to help me gain some weight. And anyway, not everyone needs to avoid sugar. I certainly do not. It's not unhealthy for everyone.

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

I weighed 102.2 pounds this morning. I could probably use some extra sugar to help me gain some weight. And anyway, not everyone needs to avoid sugar. I certainly do not. It's not unhealthy for everyone.

If by "extra sugar" you mean "extra calories" to the point of a caloric surplus, then yes, that is what would help you gain some weight.

• Aviva92
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

If by "extra sugar" you mean "extra calories" to the point of a caloric surplus, then yes, that is what would help you gain some weight.

uh yes. sugar is an easy way to get those extra calories. do i need to use these exact words though? *rolls eyes*
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Man I can't wait to be as perfect as some of these commenters. Waiting impatiently on that beautiful day when my self-control is so absolute that I can forget the reason I'm on this site, weighing food and meticulously entering it into a database so I can have a reasonable understanding of how many calories I've consumed and ensure that I don't go above a certain number (so I don't get fatter). Glorious day where are you. Why am I not Food Jesus yet?!! I need to judge weaker mortals like now.

OP I think the fact that you were able to not give into temptation as you (presumably) would have in the past is really great, congrats. Self-control is like a muscle and the more you exercise it the easier it gets. Keep on going.

Also, I think that there's nothing wrong with cheesecake if it fits into your goals. If it doesn't, though, then I'd say it's counterproductive. (Even if you do fall weak one day or two that's not a bad thing, as long as you're not constantly over your goals. This is a marathon, not a sprint.)
  • Aviva92
    Options
    royaldrea wrote: »
    Man I can't wait to be as perfect as some of these commenters. Waiting impatiently on that beautiful day when my self-control is so absolute that I can forget the reason I'm on this site, weighing food and meticulously entering it into a database so I can have a reasonable understanding of how many calories I've consumed and ensure that I don't go above a certain number (so I don't get fatter). Glorious day where are you. Why am I not Food Jesus yet?!! I need to judge weaker mortals like now.

OP I think the fact that you were able to not give into temptation as you (presumably) would have in the past is really great, congrats. Self-control is like a muscle and the more you exercise it the easier it gets. Keep on going.

Also, I think that there's nothing wrong with cheesecake if it fits into your goals. If it doesn't, though, then I'd say it's counterproductive. (Even if you do fall weak one day or two that's not a bad thing, as long as you're not constantly over your goals. This is a marathon, not a sprint.)

i'm not perfect. i threw away perfectly good pancakes that i had at someone's house on saturday because i took too many and did not really like them. i didn't view this as a victory though. i felt bad doing it and made sure the hostess wasn't paying attention when i threw it out.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    royaldrea wrote: »

i'm not perfect. i threw away perfectly good pancakes that i had at someone's house on saturday because i took too many and did not really like them. i didn't view this as a victory though. i felt bad doing it and made sure the hostess wasn't paying attention when i threw it out.

I don't know how this is relevant, as I don't see why would you view throwing away food that you didn't like as a victory. That's a matter of preference and not self-control. If you threw them away because you realized that you took them only because they were there, not because you really wanted them, and you knew that they would take you over your goals, then I would class that as a NSV, especially if you would usually finish them all off and then feel guilty afterward because you were going against what you set out to do. How you feel is up to you of course.
  • jillby6666
    jillby6666 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Its just food. I think all the mourning for the cheesecake shows how we put food on a pedestal. There was more cheesecake for his coworkers, and at the bakery, and the grocery store, etc.... Lets face it there is plenty of food around and that's a big part of the problem!!
    Great job you should feel proud!!
  • fruitful_fig
    fruitful_fig Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good job on sticking to your guns. ..and about the trashed cheesecake, don't worry you may have a George Costanza in your office that may not mind eating it from tre bin.

"It was hovering...like an angel."
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!