Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    So you're not Paleo, but say you're Paleo...I get it. Everyone needs a label.

Sorry, I don't get it. Could you explain? I don't need a label, just something I believe in and that suits me and makes sense to me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    FORBIDDEN!! Are you kidding me? Is the God of Paleo going to strike me down? That is so funny. I am so pleased that "they" are more lenient about green beans or else I would really have to hang my head in shame.

Paleo introduces so many wonderful new foods into your diet that you really don't miss some of the others. I love it.

It is only because I wasn't eating Paleo that I started to gain weight. All my life, without realising it, I was eating a Paleo style diet. My weight was stable and I was blessed with good health. It wasn't until I got really slack when I hit menopause and started to eat rubbish that I began to gain weight. I searched for a solution and suddenly my old way of eating had a name - Paleo. I admit I tampered with the "rules" but hey I'm nearly 60, it is about time I lived life on the edge. lol

And yes Jess - diets are stupid.

paleo does not suspend the laws of physics and math ..

you can not do paleo, eat in a deficit, and lose weight...and as Lemur pointed out you can eat paleo, be in a surplus, and gain weight..

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Sorry, I don't get it. Could you explain? I don't need a label, just something I believe in and that suits me and makes sense to me.

Because you said you eat like the above 80% of the time. So 80% of the time you eat Paleo, but even with that 80% of time you say you eat Paleo, you still eat dairy, and some grains. So really, you eat Paleo what 75% of time? The other 25% are what?

Seriously, the diet you are describing is basically a healthy, balanced diet. The same type that 95% of this board eats.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Flag her comment all you want, but people in the paleolithic did eat bugs. Probably. I mean, the case for bugs is pretty sketchy, but so's the case against legumes.

Bugs would have been a big part of our diet and some cultures still eat them. Also, insects such as crickets are being looked at by some as the big sustainable food source for the future. I'm glad I'll be dead by then. ;)

The person who mentioned to me that they don't eat Apple b'coz it doesn't fir into Paleo diet they buy cricket flour.

You read correct - cricket flour to bake their cakes and pastries.

Interesting. Where can you buy cricket flour?? I'd probably give it a try. My only aversion to eating bugs would be the nasty texture.

Paleo is very low carb, so you certainly couldn't eat apples often. I believe high sugar fruits like apples and bananas are discouraged.

Where did you get that Paleo is very low carb???? The majority of the people that I know that are Paleo are NOT low carb...........yes, lower than the SAD, but not Atkins like low carb.

Personally, I am on the lower carb portion of Paleo because that is what works for ME and ME ALONE. We are all different and different amounts of food work for different people.

I also use cricket flour, coconut flour
    and I have began purchasing Exo bars which are made from cricket flour.

I also eat apples, bananas, pineapple, berries, etc, etc, etc

I also like my steak very rare and my beef liver just seared on each side.

because we all know caveman ground up crickets and coconuts into flour...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Flag her comment all you want, but people in the paleolithic did eat bugs. Probably. I mean, the case for bugs is pretty sketchy, but so's the case against legumes.

Bugs would have been a big part of our diet and some cultures still eat them. Also, insects such as crickets are being looked at by some as the big sustainable food source for the future. I'm glad I'll be dead by then. ;)

The person who mentioned to me that they don't eat Apple b'coz it doesn't fir into Paleo diet they buy cricket flour.

Interesting. Where can you buy cricket flour?? I'd probably give it a try. My only aversion to eating bugs would be the nasty texture.

Paleo is very low carb, so you certainly couldn't eat apples often. I believe high sugar fruits like apples and bananas are discouraged.

Where did you get that Paleo is very low carb???? The majority of the people that I know that are Paleo are NOT low carb...........yes, lower than the SAD, but not Atkins like low carb.

Personally, I am on the lower carb portion of Paleo because that is what works for ME and ME ALONE. We are all different and different amounts of food work for different people.

I also use cricket flour, coconut flour and I have began purchasing Exo bars which are made from cricket flour.

I'm still a little intrigued by the idea of cricket flour as in who would have thought of that. I certainly can't see it being a good rising flour but so no sub for wheat in baking, but just blows me away what people come up with.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    w_canary wrote: »
    I like the main idea of paleo: making your body function on fat instead of carbs and that's what I'm following.

Where did you get that this is the main idea of paleo? I'm just curious because I'm kind of interested in paleo and know various people who do it, and it doesn't seem at all clear to me that it's intended as a low carb diet vs. one where a lot of people end up lowering their carbs vs. the SAD or perhaps accidently going low carb because they previously were eating lots of grains (and it takes longer to cook a sweet potato than grab a bagel).

I'd also never heard that apples were forbidden, although I have heard that fruits should be limited to 2 servings a day (I suspect cavemen had no such rules).

Early humans would have eaten what ever plants were growing and in season...........in areas where the growing season was limited to spring, summer and early fall they would have eaten whatever was growing during that time; then relied on meat / fat over the winter months when plants were scarce.

Over the years I have leaned to eating seasonal fruits and vegetables. Right now I am eating my fair share of greens (mustard, collard), sweet potatoes, fat and protein.

I will be glad in a month or so when spring lettuce starts sprouting, then comes berry season (love to go foraging in the woods for wild berries), then on to the bountiful wonders of the summer garden and CSA deliveries for me of the fresh vegetables and fruit that will be in season soon.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I also use cricket flour, coconut flour and I have began purchasing Exo bars which are made from cricket flour.

I'm still a little intrigued by the idea of cricket flour as in who would have thought of that. I certainly can't see it being a good rising flour but so no sub for wheat in baking, but just blows me away what people come up with.

From the description I read, it's not used as a flour (would not rise), but in addition to flour to increase protein:
    Add extra protein into baked goods, energy bars, PB&J, veggie burgers, beans n' rice, pancakes, dinner dishes and more! Each shipment includes recipes for Chocolate "Chirp" Cookies, Cranberry Oatmeal Cricket Cookies and Banana Cricket Bread.

I'm curious if this is vegetarian or not. Do insects "count"?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

From the description I read, it's not used as a flour (would not rise), but in addition to flour to increase protein:
    Add extra protein into baked goods, energy bars, PB&J, veggie burgers, beans n' rice, pancakes, dinner dishes and more! Each shipment includes recipes for Chocolate "Chirp" Cookies, Cranberry Oatmeal Cricket Cookies and Banana Cricket Bread.

Scientifically crickets are animals.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I'm a vegetarian. I'd count it as meat.

And gross.

Editing to add that I always thought of shellfish as bugs back when I ate meat.

• auddii
    Options

Well, so are fish and eggs...
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Well, so are fish and eggs...

A fish is an animal.

An egg is an animal product.

Big difference.

I wouldn't eat the first, but will eat the second.

Vegans wouldn't eat either.

• birdman4777
    birdman4777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What do vegetarians eat for protein?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    What do vegetarians eat for protein?

I can't answer for every veggie, but I eat Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, lentils, chickpeas, and eggs. I also enjoy Quest bars and protein shakes because I like to eat about 100g of protein a day to feel my best.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Because you said you eat like the above 80% of the time. So 80% of the time you eat Paleo, but even with that 80% of time you say you eat Paleo, you still eat dairy, and some grains. So really, you eat Paleo what 75% of time? The other 25% are what?

Seriously, the diet you are describing is basically a healthy, balanced diet. The same type that 95% of this board eats.

Yes, this is the point I've been making. I have nothing against how you eat, Leena. It's actually probably pretty similar to how I eat, since I rarely eat bread. (I may eat more ice cream, but that might not be true given the 80% thing.) I just think it's odd to call it paleo when paleo is about certain restrictions you say you don't do.

And that's not a criticism of you (or paleo). I think paleo works for some people, but it would never work for me since I couldn't live by food restrictions that seemed to have no purpose for me and even to exclude foods I think are healthy (like dairy and legumes and whole grains, although I mostly don't eat whole grains other than oatmeal just because they usually aren't worth the calories for me).

It just annoys me for people to claim "paleo" is just about eating whole foods or eating healthy, since it's not at all necessary for that. I think I'd have a healthier diet if I ate more legumes, probably.
  • LeenaGee
    Options

Exactly Paleo is just a healthy, balanced diet. Just call yourselves Paleo and everyone"s happy. :D It is just healthy eating and is nothing to worry about.

As for the maths above, eek does my head in. :p The 80/20 principle is an acknowledgment that I am an adult who takes full responsibility for every choice I make but occasionally find myself in circumstances that don’t allow 100% and I have to make compromises. Example - dinner with friends.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Between your personal variations from the guidelines and the 80/20 exemptions, what you're eating is really a pretty standard diet.

Which is totally cool, of course.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options

I'm ridiculously intrigued by it, and may even buy it (although the number of crickets who died to make it is rather amazing). I so rarely use real flour that this is particularly silly, but I'm curious enough to want to experiment with it.

Yeah, it probably wouldn't work as real flour, though.
  • auddii
    Options

I'm ridiculously intrigued by it, and may even buy it (although the number of crickets who died to make it is rather amazing). I so rarely use real flour that this is particularly silly, but I'm curious enough to want to experiment with it.

Well, they do suggest using it in PB&Js, so it seems like you can just mix it in things to boost protein. (Not sure what the flavor is like, so I'd stick with things like PB that already have a strong flavor.)
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options
    w_canary wrote: »
    I like the main idea of paleo: making your body function on fat instead of carbs and that's what I'm following.

Where did you get that this is the main idea of paleo? I'm just curious because I'm kind of interested in paleo and know various people who do it, and it doesn't seem at all clear to me that it's intended as a low carb diet vs. one where a lot of people end up lowering their carbs vs. the SAD or perhaps accidently going low carb because they previously were eating lots of grains (and it takes longer to cook a sweet potato than grab a bagel).

I'd also never heard that apples were forbidden, although I have heard that fruits should be limited to 2 servings a day (I suspect cavemen had no such rules).

Early humans would have eaten what ever plants were growing and in season...........in areas where the growing season was limited to spring, summer and early fall they would have eaten whatever was growing during that time; then relied on meat / fat over the winter months when plants were scarce.

Yeah, I agree. This is one thing that IME people who do paleo don't do (and which I don't think would be optimal vs. the alternatives).
    Over the years I have leaned to eating seasonal fruits and vegetables. Right now I am eating my fair share of greens (mustard, collard), sweet potatoes, fat and protein.

I like to eat this way too, and used to be even more into it, but I've become pretty pragmatic about it, or simply grateful that we have alternatives. I try to eat all the in-season stuff in significant quantities, but I supplement with frozen or with out of season veggies trucked in from the south somewhere. Because what's in season now in Chicago is depressing. For similar reasons, I'm happy to eat Alaskan salmon or ocean fish and not just what I can get "locally" around here, however that's defined.

Oddly enough I tend to be a bit more seasonally inclined on fruit and tend to supplement my apples in winter more with things that will never be in season here (like bananas, which I never eat in the summer) rather than out of season peaches and strawberries (my favorite when in season). But I'm not perfectly consistent--I'll eat blueberries anywhere and anytime.
    I will be glad in a month or so when spring lettuce starts sprouting, then comes berry season (love to go foraging in the woods for wild berries), then on to the bountiful wonders of the summer garden and CSA deliveries for me of the fresh vegetables and fruit that will be in season soon.

Same here. As I was saying to Leena, that's not paleo specific, although it's something I think paleo should stress (as with eating the whole animal) and appreciate when people do.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    Basically, I agree that we do seem to be eating similar diets so that is one of the reasons I never understand it when everyone gets upset as soon as the word Paleo is mentioned. I just feel better staying away from grains, especially wheat and I eat minimal dairy.