Have a question? How about a live Q&A starting in 3, 2, 1... Go!

Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    When in a re-comp, what is the recommended deficit? Additionally, after being in one for about 6 months and knowing that it's a slow process, how many years are we talking here?

It needn't be years. Heck, I've lost 20 lbs in the last 3 months and totally overhauled my own physique. But I'm also internally motivated, don't have emotional/relationship issues with food, and am willing to put the work in daily. I'm also "light on my feet" when it comes to nutritional indiscretions. Meaning, I might eat a meal out that totally doesn't align with the plan for the day... but that meal is in isolation. It doesn't leak over to the next meal and the next. It doesn't cause guilt or grief. It just is, so I accept and enjoy it and then move on.

In many cases, I like for large folks to lose roughly 1% of their body weight per week... on average. And for smaller folks, that rate tends to drop closer to .5% per week. Don't get me wrong... there are cases where we accelerate this process. And there are cases where we have to actually accept a slower rate.

Of course, the more you have to lose, the longer it takes... but that's obvious.

So the recommended deficit? Slight to moderate, in general. The one that leads to the aforementioned rate of weight loss... keeping in mind there are a bunch of caveats to that.

I'd ask you, in return... what has your average rate of loss been over the last 6 months?
    Awesome, thanks Steve! Nice to know I'm right on track! Plus, getting stronger and losing inches are a major bonus!
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on starting a weight training program this week (I'm going over squats and deadlifts with a trainer first so I don't hurt myself). I'm currently losing well on 1650 calories per day and one cheat meal per week (this week is sushi, yum!), protein between 110-130g/day. Should I change anything on the eating side for weight lifting? Or keep everything as is?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    No worries... I've been worried about missing posts too.

:) Thanks :)

Definitely some annoying stuff you're dealing with there. That's a bummer. I am glad, though, to hear that you're working with a physio. Hopefully you make some headway at, in the very least, ridding yourself of some of the pain.

I won't throw any exercise advice your way. It'd be beyond my scope and I'd be doing your physio a disservice. I'll say this, though. Take what you're permitted to do (in terms of exercise selection, intensity, and volume) and use it a few times per week. At a minimum, provide what stimulus you're permitted to provide in order to offer your body as much incentive as possible to hold onto muscle.

And in your case, you're going to want to ensure adequate protein intake more than regularly exercising folks. Strength training is our strongest stimulus for muscle preservation while dieting. If it's limited, we really need to focus on the second strongest stimulus, which is protein. Having lots of pool of excess amino acids in the bloodstream will provide a source for your body to preferentially tap into rather than turning to your muscle.

Thank you! I'll keep trying to challenge myself however I can. And I'm very happy to comply with the recommendation for more protein - I love my steak, no problem there. Very useful information, thank you.

The idea being to build a bigger base of muscle so that the next time you cut down there's better likelihood of "looking the bf%"?

Is that what you're getting at?

If so, I'd say no. If you were working with me, I would not have you do any sort of muscle gain phase without first getting relatively lean again. I just don't see a point in it since the physiology still stands - higher bf% will lead to great rate of fat gain while in a surplus.

I can see your point, and I agree, I for sure want to avoid increasing body fat. I guess I was thinking of recomposition, but maybe that would be harder for me to do given my limitations...

Thanks so much, again, for your thoughts and time!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    There are a lot more people interested in looking great naked than there are people interested in maximizing performance. So the gurus follow the money. Partly why this industry is so fubar.

Okay but don't they realize there is SO little point looking good naked if performance is missing.

(someone is going to flag this as inappropriate aren't they?)

To recomp optimally, in almost all cases, there's going to be a performance enhancement. Fat loss, in itself, will increase performance... assuming the retention of functional mass.

I view it as a spectrum. Some folks only care about improving aesthetically. In these cases, it's mostly about diet and training the muscles. Others have contracts on the line that depend on their performance. In these cases, while form will likely follow function, programming becomes a lot more nuanced and specific.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    lin7604 wrote: »
    Thx u! I do these tailor made programs because for me I have to follow something or I'm lost. I have to be told what to do. Lol... I can't just grab my weights and know what to do on what day even following a page layout with a description. I don't know what that is but I fail miserably so that is why I do DVDs.

I get that. Trust me, most of my web clients hire me for this very reason. They don't have the inclination or interest to figure this out themselves... plus progress it going forward. It's no different than getting your car serviced professionally rather than wrenching on it yourself!
    If it keeps me moving that is all that matters....

Only "movement" is not the sole factor in building a better physique. Otherwise you could walk yourself into jackeditude. :)

Definitely not knocking what you're doing though... they very well could be perfectly suited for you and your goals. Only one way to find out... apply them and assess consistently. If your assessments are showing progress... you know you're on the right track.
    I will stick to these cals, it's been 2 weeks so far with no changes in the scale yet. I normally do once a month weigh in and next Sunday will be a official weigh in for feb but as of yesterday I still just bounce up and down a lb. no real loss yet. I thought at first I was actually gaining muscle so let it go but after a few months I realized it was only fat:(

Well good for you staying objective. It's a hard pill to swallow at times but it's the nature of this journey. We all have to adhere to some system of eating and training while simultaneously tracking results. In doing so, we're shining a light on the efficacy of our programs. A lot of people get sucked into the trap of just forcing the same system over and over and over while expecting different results. They forget about the tracking and adjusting part of this process.

• stroutman81
    Options
    Thanks for a great post. I always hear that we need to increase our weights progressively
    . Am I wasting my time with my 20kg dumbells. Am interested in getting leaner so starting to tighten up my logging which has been an issue. Just thinking what I can do with my limited weights at home.

Wasting your time? I wouldn't go that far. But the easiest way to progress the stimulus for improvements is by gradually ramping up load over time. If 20 kg represents an overload right now in a particular exercise, it won't next workout, next week, next month, or whatever.

We're always trying to stay one step ahead of homeostasis... thus pulling our bodies out of their comfort zones in an attempt to better handle increasingly more challenging stress.

Now you can certainly make certain exercises more challenging with the same load. You can change the mechanics to put more load on the target muscle (think about going from regular push-ups to feet-elevated push-ups), you can slow down the tempo (especially the lowering phase) thus increasing the time under tension per rep/set. You can increase the number of reps per set as your body adjusts to a given volume.

There are many things you can do.

That said, if it were me, I'd want to expand my options for gradually increasing loading over time. At a minimum, shop around for some adjustable DBs. There are good resistance bands sold on Amazon that allow you to adjust loading too.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    bonniejo wrote: »
    I'm planning on starting a weight training program this week (I'm going over squats and deadlifts with a trainer first so I don't hurt myself). I'm currently losing well on 1650 calories per day and one cheat meal per week (this week is sushi, yum!), protein between 110-130g/day. Should I change anything on the eating side for weight lifting? Or keep everything as is?

Impossible to say based on the info you've given. What's your age, height, and weight? How active are you outside of the gym? How many days per week are you training? What forms of training are you using besides lifting?

Also, I feel obligated to state that you don't NEED squats and deadlifts to optimize your physique. I mean, if you want to include them, they're certainly great exercises. But I see a lot of people thinking they're NECESSARY for physique optimization and that couldn't be further from the truth.

If you don't feel comfortable with one or both, don't be afraid to find alternatives.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

The idea being to build a bigger base of muscle so that the next time you cut down there's better likelihood of "looking the bf%"?

Is that what you're getting at?

If so, I'd say no. If you were working with me, I would not have you do any sort of muscle gain phase without first getting relatively lean again. I just don't see a point in it since the physiology still stands - higher bf% will lead to great rate of fat gain while in a surplus.

I can see your point, and I agree, I for sure want to avoid increasing body fat. I guess I was thinking of recomposition, but maybe that would be harder for me to do given my limitations...

Thanks so much, again, for your thoughts and time!

Trying to add muscle and subtract fat at the same time is, in many cases, a losing proposition. There are some folks who can get away with it (especially those who are coming off injury, who are brand new to training, and/or those who are carrying a lot of excess fat). There are also some programs that try and optimize concurrent comp changes (such as Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0).

But in the vast majority of cases, you simply want to pick one goal and work your butt off at attaining it before moving onto the next.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Impossible to say based on the info you've given. What's your age, height, and weight? How active are you outside of the gym? How many days per week are you training? What forms of training are you using besides lifting?

Also, I feel obligated to state that you don't NEED squats and deadlifts to optimize your physique. I mean, if you want to include them, they're certainly great exercises. But I see a lot of people thinking they're NECESSARY for physique optimization and that couldn't be further from the truth.

If you don't feel comfortable with one or both, don't be afraid to find alternatives.

Could you clue me in as to what those alternatives are? Sometimes squats hurt my knee due to an ACL injury and repair about 2 years ago. I would love to know what other exercises I can do in place of them, as a back-up.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I got linked to this page and really appreciate the information. In the first page, you mentioned that as a woman get leaner, the scale just doesn't work well as a measuring tool. So, what would you suggest we base our progress on? Wouldn't measurement and image in the mirror take even longer to show? So, how long should I expect to see measurable/visible results?

I'm 43 years old, 5'3" tall at around 118-120 lbs. According to various calculators, I am at 26% body fat and high risk waist-to-hip ratio (0.86). My starting weight was 145 lbs and I reached my goal weight last Thanksgiving and kind of lost focus until Christmas.

In the beginning of the year, I finally picked up the pace again. I now run 3 times a week and, on the other 3 days, I follow the program Body by You by Mark Lauren. I make progression in the program every week, if not every session. According to iifym, my TDEE is 1860 and I was usually able to achieve TDEE-15% on a weekly basis. I know I am getting stronger, at least, but the scale may have dropped a pound and measurements do not show measurable difference. I can be more patient if I know I am on the right track. But if I am eating too much, then, I should lower my caloric intake (or my expectation), right?
  • bonniejo
    Options

I'm 24, 5' 4" and 133 lbs. Bf around 26%. I walk 10-13,000 steps per day (walking the dog, etc), but I sit quite a bit as a student. I do a step and strength class (50% intense step, 50% body weight/high rep weight training) 3 days a week, and a pure step class once a week. I really like my step classes and don't plan on changing them. I also do some balance work assigned by my physical therapist most days to strengthen my knees and ankles, but she has given me the all clear to start lifting as long as I am sure about my form.

I'm planning to start the following program. I picked it because it only works each muscle group once per week, so if I work that group again in my class I won't be overdoing it. I can also always use lower weights in my class as well, or do an alternate exercise. The teacher is really flexible.

Day 1 (all sets 8-10 reps)
    Flat Bench Press – Warm-up sets and then 3 working sets
    Incline Bench Press – 3 working sets
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press – 3 working sets
    Dips – 3 working sets to failure (use the assistance machine if necessary)
    Triceps Pushdown – 3 working sets
    Seated Triceps Press – working 3 sets

Day 2
    Barbell Deadlift – Warm-up sets and then 3 working sets
    Barbell Row: 3 working sets
    One-Arm Dumbbell Row – 3 working sets
    Close-Grip Lat Pulldown – 3 working sets
    Alternating Dumbbell Curl – 3 working sets
    Barbell Curl – 3 working sets

Day 3

Seated Barbell Military Press – Warm-up sets and then 3 working sets
    Barbell Upright Row – 3 working sets
    Side Lateral Raise – 3 working sets
    Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise – 3 working sets
    Barbell Squat – 3 working sets
    Leg Press – 3 working sets
    Barbell Lunge – 3 working sets
    Romanian Deadlift – 3 working sets

Sorry for the long post! Thanks for the feedback :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Thanks for a great post. I always hear that we need to increase our weights progressively
    . Am I wasting my time with my 20kg dumbells. Am interested in getting leaner so starting to tighten up my logging which has been an issue. Just thinking what I can do with my limited weights at home.

Wasting your time? I wouldn't go that far. But the easiest way to progress the stimulus for improvements is by gradually ramping up load over time. If 20 kg represents an overload right now in a particular exercise, it won't next workout, next week, next month, or whatever.

We're always trying to stay one step ahead of homeostasis... thus pulling our bodies out of their comfort zones in an attempt to better handle increasingly more challenging stress.

Now you can certainly make certain exercises more challenging with the same load. You can change the mechanics to put more load on the target muscle (think about going from regular push-ups to feet-elevated push-ups), you can slow down the tempo (especially the lowering phase) thus increasing the time under tension per rep/set. You can increase the number of reps per set as your body adjusts to a given volume.

That said, if it were me, I'd want to expand my options for gradually increasing loading over time. At a minimum, shop around for some adjustable DBs. There are good resistance bands sold on Amazon that allow you to adjust loading too.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, much appreciated. Would love those powerblocks but so expensive. You have given me enough ideas to get creative. Also never thought about resistance bands before.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Great thread!
    Any recommendations for stretches/exercises for knee pain? I have been lifting for about 8 months and recently getting pain in one of my knees (it feels like the muscle/tendon/whatever along the back of my knee is super tight and painful). It often pops when I squat (although I have pretty "crackly" joints in general)

I am also recovering from a ruptured muscle in my arm, so basically legs are all I can do right now - I want to make sure I don't mess them up, too.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Could you clue me in as to what those alternatives are? Sometimes squats hurt my knee due to an ACL injury and repair about 2 years ago. I would love to know what other exercises I can do in place of them, as a back-up.

I'd be happy to review your form if you'd like. You could film yourself squatting and upload it to youtube. You can shift the setting on the video to unlisted so only those with the link can see it. If not, that's cool too.

But alternative to squats include leg presses, front squats, step-ups, front foot elevated split squats, rear foot elevated split squats, hack squats, goblet squats, etc. Anything that has the primary movement about the knee while your feet (or foot) is planted on the floor will replicate, at least in part, the squat.

As for alternatives to the deadlift... romanian deadlifts, hip thrusts, good mornings, glute ham raises, single leg RDLs (braced or not), pull throughs, etc.

Unless you're training to be strong in squats and deadlifts, there are a lot of alternatives that can train the same muscles each of these exercises hit. And again, I don't have anything against squats or deadlifts... they're great exercises. They're simply not necessary exercises for physique optimization.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    I got linked to this page and really appreciate the information. In the first page, you mentioned that as a woman get leaner, the scale just doesn't work well as a measuring tool. So, what would you suggest we base our progress on? Wouldn't measurement and image in the mirror take even longer to show? So, how long should I expect to see measurable/visible results?

All of my clients take pictures, measurements and weight on a biweekly basis. Some weigh daily if we determine they're best suited for it.

How long?

I can't answer that. Each body is different. Some bodies just don't like to "give up" progress easily. This is partly why I harp on and on about focusing on the process and the outcome will follow - in due time as your body dictates.

Of course you don't want to get stuck in wheel-spinning, doing the same thing over and over again when that thing isn't enough to cause progress. But most people have more a problem with not giving it long enough vs. giving it too long.

I'd be giving any given protocol at least 4 weeks to reveal whether it's going to be effective for you or not. And the effectiveness might come by way of minor measurement improvements. Or a 1% movement on the scale for an entire month. Or a realization that your boots are fitting looser around your calves. Or a vein in your arm that you hadn't noticed before. Or whatever. You take whatever it is, as small as it is, and keep your eyes planted on the process.

You also don't judge or personalize your progress or lack there of. Instead, you accept it. If it's there, great... keep doing your thing. If it's not, that's great too. You didn't fail. You simply know you should modify something.

Maybe it's fewer calories. Maybe it's more training. Maybe it's inserting refeeds into your weekly dieting system. Maybe it's increasing accuracy of nutritional tracking. Whatever it is... you make small adjustments and retest.
    I'm 43 years old, 5'3" tall at around 118-120 lbs. According to various calculators, I am at 26% body fat and high risk waist-to-hip ratio (0.86). My starting weight was 145 lbs and I reached my goal weight last Thanksgiving and kind of lost focus until Christmas.

I'm not too much a fan of goal weights. I have a number of clients who've been working with me for a long time. They're actually heavier than they were when they started with me, yet they are happier than ever.
    In the beginning of the year, I finally picked up the pace again. I now run 3 times a week and, on the other 3 days, I follow the program Body by You by Mark Lauren. I make progression in the program every week, if not every session. According to iifym, my TDEE is 1860 and I was usually able to achieve TDEE-15% on a weekly basis. I know I am getting stronger, at least, but the scale may have dropped a pound and measurements do not show measurable difference. I can be more patient if I know I am on the right track. But if I am eating too much, then, I should lower my caloric intake (or my expectation), right?

So you've been eating right around 1600 cals/day on average, is that right?

If so, I'd say you have plenty of room for coming down. Do so systematically. Try 1500 per day and see if that gets things moving.

Remember, it is and always will be a process of refinement.
  • stroutman81
    Options

I'm 24, 5' 4" and 133 lbs. Bf around 26%. I walk 10-13,000 steps per day (walking the dog, etc), but I sit quite a bit as a student. I do a step and strength class (50% intense step, 50% body weight/high rep weight training) 3 days a week, and a pure step class once a week. I really like my step classes and don't plan on changing them. I also do some balance work assigned by my physical therapist most days to strengthen my knees and ankles, but she has given me the all clear to start lifting as long as I am sure about my form.

I'm planning to start the following program. I picked it because it only works each muscle group once per week, so if I work that group again in my class I won't be overdoing it. I can also always use lower weights in my class as well, or do an alternate exercise. The teacher is really flexible.

Day 2

Day 3

It's hard for me to really comment here since I have no clue what your classes are really like. That said, I'm thinking they're more cardio than anything else. If you're doing timed calisthenics... it's really closer to cardio than it is strength training.

I mean, let's face it... walking or running is resistance training. You're training and your body weight is providing a resistance. But walking certainly isn't providing the same stimulus at the muscle level that progressive strength training is providing.

Take myself for example. I do 5 full body strength sessions per week. I also go backpacking once per week and walk most days. I don't cut back my leg training simply bc I backpack and walk. Granted, if I was doing intense cardio that was neurologically and muscularly challenging, I'd have to rethink it.

But that would beg the question of, "Does that high intensity cardio suit my goal?"

Which brings me to a very important point that needs addressing before I get ahead of myself (which I likely already have). Context ALWAYS matters. The value of any given program can't be assessed without knowing what the end user is hoping to obtain from said program. Put differently, what are your goals?

And does your current training match your goals?

Specificity also ALWAYS matters.

• WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Thanks for doing this Steve! I'm guessing there isn't a set answer for this, but in general how quickly should I be progressing in my weights when lifting? I'll often stay at the same weight level for several months, and I'm wondering if I'm cheating myself somehow. For example, right now I'm squatting 115, and I've been at that weight since October. I'd like to be strong, but I generally do what I do to look good naked and to be in good shape for the summer hiking I do. I'm maintaining my weight currently (32, f, 5'5'', 135) although contemplating another small cut.
    To give you an idea of activity level: I do total body weight lifting twice a week, yoga twice a week, and 3-4 mile runs twice a week. I walk about 5 miles a day but don't have an active job.
    Any thought on when I should be upping my loads, or things I should be thinking about?
  • bonniejo
    edited February 2015
    Options

Day 2

Day 3

It's hard for me to really comment here since I have no clue what your classes are really like. That said, I'm thinking they're more cardio than anything else. If you're doing timed calisthenics... it's really closer to cardio than it is strength training.

I mean, let's face it... walking or running is resistance training. You're training and your body weight is providing a resistance. But walking certainly isn't providing the same stimulus at the muscle level that progressive strength training is providing.

Take myself for example. I do 5 full body strength sessions per week. I also go backpacking once per week and walk most days. I don't cut back my leg training simply bc I backpack and walk. Granted, if I was doing intense cardio that was neurologically and muscularly challenging, I'd have to rethink it.

But that would beg the question of, "Does that high intensity cardio suit my goal?"

Which brings me to a very important point that needs addressing before I get ahead of myself (which I likely already have). Context ALWAYS matters. The value of any given program can't be assessed without knowing what the end user is hoping to obtain from said program. Put differently, what are your goals?

And does your current training match your goals?

Specificity also ALWAYS matters.

One of my biggest goals is to have more energy and not get out of breath while hiking, so I think cardio is important for my training. It's also great for my mental health, since it's very meditative to me and I just generally enjoy it. My class often includes doing 50-100 pushups, 2 minute wall sits, 3 minutes of body weight or 10 lb dumbbell squats, 2 one minute sets of tricep extensions, or 2 one minute sets of bicep curls. Often 4-5 minutes of cardio followed by 4-5 minutes of these types of exercises, rinse and repeat for one hour

I'm mostly just wanting to try something new, to be honest. I am making some progress but it has been slow, although the holidays might have something to do with that! According to a BIA scale, my muscle mass has stayed consistent since September while I've lost about 6lbs, so I'm going in the right direction but hoping to speed things up. Just wondering if I should adjust calories or keep them the same. I'm eating about 1650, losing .5-1 lbs per week on average but they're in spurts (same for 3 weeks, then 1.5-2 lbs down, then same for 3 weeks, etc). Everyone on here talks about heavy lifting helping to reduce fat and increase muscle especially in newbies, so I wanted to give it a try!

Edit: Are you saying that I shouldn't try strength training since my goal isn't really to be stronger? I think I'm confused.
  • stroutman81
    Options

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, much appreciated. Would love those powerblocks but so expensive. You have given me enough ideas to get creative. Also never thought about resistance bands before.

Some of my clients have these and they approve:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Mountain-Products-Resistance-Exercise/dp/7245456313/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423523461&sr=8-1&keywords=resistance+bands

And yeah, power blocks are ridiculous. I have very expensive ones myself, but I bought them for my studio where I train clients out of. These are the ones I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Ironmaster-75-Quick-Lock-Adjustable-Dumbbell/dp/B000GE5QRM/ref=sr_1_44?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1423523572&sr=1-44&keywords=adjustable+dumbbells

But you can usually find a much more reasonably priced set on ebay, craigslist, or whatever. And at your local sporting good store, you can likely find cheapos that can get the job done.

There are loads of them on amazon... not sure if this link will work:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=sporting&field-keywords=adjustable dumbbells

And let's not forget that you can load backpacks progressively with books. For lighter adjustable loads, you can use gallon jugs or buckets.

There are a lot of options.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    elsie_fair wrote: »
    Great thread!
    Any recommendations for stretches/exercises for knee pain? I have been lifting for about 8 months and recently getting pain in one of my knees (it feels like the muscle/tendon/whatever along the back of my knee is super tight and painful). It often pops when I squat (although I have pretty "crackly" joints in general)

I am also recovering from a ruptured muscle in my arm, so basically legs are all I can do right now - I want to make sure I don't mess them up, too.

How did you rupture (I'm guessing) your bicep?

And it would be inappropriate for me to try and take a stab at what's going on with your knee. I'd simply suggest to get it looked at by a qualified professional... like a good physio. And definitely do NOT force through the pain!