Thought I'd picked a healthy breakfast option ...

Replies

• DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    For greek yogurt, I don't shy away from the full-fat (5%) versions. Fat makes me feel full, for 120 calories I'll take it. What kind I end up with usually depends on what's on sale though.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Jolinia wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    So while its not always best to eat packaged sweetened yogurt (better to add it yourself, probably have less sugar), its not really that big of a deal. That sugar is looking at natural and added sugar. This is why it should be separated out (into natural and added sugar). It is accounting for lactose, which is a sugar. In regular nonfat, unsweetened milk, in a cup there is 12 grams of sugar... It's really only bad if its added sugar

ahhh yes the evil added sugars....your body does not distinguish between added sugar and natural sugar it is all the same at the molecular level....

Really? My body has no clue when I eat fructose with or without fiber? And it has no clue about the differences between fructose, glucose, and lactose?

If you're right, I'm wasting my time. If you're incorrect, then I should know any differences, too, and food labels should differentiate for us.

I know you're being sarcastic but I just wanted to say, if people's bodies can't tell what kind of sugar it is, how come some people are lactose intolerant but not fructose intolerant?

But I'm not being sarcastic. I really am trying to learn this, particularly the mysteries of the liver and pancreas. It's already confusing enough without people lumping all types of sugar together and saying my body doesn't know the difference! :(
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    NicoleS9 wrote: »
    Fage - Total 0% Fat Greek Yogurt With Honey, 1 container (170g)
    - Wrong
    - 32g of SUGAR !!! 184 calories !!!

I was bummed to find out almost all yogurt is a dessert! Probably because we all bought into the advertising that it was "health food". grrrr.
    I've found a few plain organic brands I can add to my smoothies, but I do not eat a whole container or have it every day!
    Here is a funny article - 12 "health" foods with more sugar than a Krispy Kreme.
    Spoiler alert: Yogurt sucks
    http://www.takepart.com/photos/shocking-sugar-stats

Just grab some fruit or oatmeal!

Tells OP to swap one source of sugar for another source of sugar....

0% fat and has honey....yeah its going to have sugar...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    NicoleS9 wrote: »
    what is wrong with that?

Man, you really love your sugar! I've never met a sugar advocate before. Although, I think I may have been one a few years ago just because it is yummy & addictive!

I abhor demonizing one particular food group as the primary driver of over consumption and obesity ..

people are overweight because they consume too many calories, period.
  • ndj1979
    So while its not always best to eat packaged sweetened yogurt (better to add it yourself, probably have less sugar), its not really that big of a deal. That sugar is looking at natural and added sugar. This is why it should be separated out (into natural and added sugar). It is accounting for lactose, which is a sugar. In regular nonfat, unsweetened milk, in a cup there is 12 grams of sugar... It's really only bad if its added sugar

ahhh yes the evil added sugars....your body does not distinguish between added sugar and natural sugar it is all the same at the molecular level....

Really? My body has no clue when I eat fructose with or without fiber? And it has no clue about the differences between fructose, glucose, and lactose?

If you're right, I'm wasting my time. If you're incorrect, then I should know any differences, too, and food labels should differentiate for us.

are sugar molecules different?
  • Jolinia

Does the liver treat different sugars differently or not? Does the digestive system act different in any way when we eat high fiber with fructose than when we don't?

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    18 grams of protein, yo. I eat this every day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    - Wrong

I'm shocked something with honey has a lot of sugar

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Acg67 wrote: »
    - Wrong

I am wearing the contents of my water bottle now.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    edited February 2015
    I think it's better to focus on the macros than the micros, as they are far more important. It's also infinitely better to enjoy what you're eating, and not stress yourself out over minor details. As someone else pointed out, the sugar content shouldn't be a concern, unless you have a medical condition that is complicated by excessive sugar consumption.

Focusing on the protein you got from the yogurt you clearly enjoyed is a better mindset than worrying about something so small.

Also, not all sugar is created equal, and your body knows the difference. Sugar derived from produce (fructose) won't be metabolized in the same way the refined sugar from that ice cream you had after you got home from work. With that said, eating a thousand grapes or five whole honeydew melons will definitely throw you off-track.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-effects-of-sugar?page=2
    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/sugar-problem/refined-sugar-the-sweetest-poison-of-all
    Maybe I just don't see the purpose in defending foods high in gs of sugar just cause it fits your calorie allocation. What's the point in getting "healthier" if you're not getting healthier?

Because you can still have a healthy diet overall that incorporates sugar. Demonizing a particular food group just leads to problems. People cut it out entirely when eating it in moderation would make them happy and let them enjoy life more. People guilt-trip themselves the way the OP is doing because they ate something "bad." Sugar is not bad. Eating nothing but sugar and ignoring all the other nutrients you need would be bad, but having yogurt that's a little on the sugary side shouldn't be something anyone feels guilty over. THAT'S not healthy.

I'm not saying tear yourself a new one out of guilt, but I'm saying I agree with her that it's not healthy and sugar IS bad for you. Fact. There's so much retarded claims on MFP from ppl who don't know anything about nutrition that say "eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your calories" or "who cares if you're in a deficit". Seriously? It's not just about losing weight, it's about NUTRITION and feeding your body the right thing.

I never said cut it out 100% or to guilt trip the #&$@ out of yourself, but ppl ridicule posters on MFP for being vigilant about the ingredients in what they chose to eat as if it doesn't matter as long as your calories are straight. It's absurd to me.

Ironic post is ironic.

• Acg67
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    - Wrong

I am wearing the contents of my water bottle now.

Pics
  • Acg67
    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/sugar-problem/refined-sugar-the-sweetest-poison-of-all
    Maybe I just don't see the purpose in defending foods high in gs of sugar just cause it fits your calorie allocation. What's the point in getting "healthier" if you're not getting healthier?

Because you can still have a healthy diet overall that incorporates sugar. Demonizing a particular food group just leads to problems. People cut it out entirely when eating it in moderation would make them happy and let them enjoy life more. People guilt-trip themselves the way the OP is doing because they ate something "bad." Sugar is not bad. Eating nothing but sugar and ignoring all the other nutrients you need would be bad, but having yogurt that's a little on the sugary side shouldn't be something anyone feels guilty over. THAT'S not healthy.

I'm not saying tear yourself a new one out of guilt, but I'm saying I agree with her that it's not healthy and sugar IS bad for you. Fact. There's so much retarded claims on MFP from ppl who don't know anything about nutrition that say "eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your calories" or "who cares if you're in a deficit". Seriously? It's not just about losing weight, it's about NUTRITION and feeding your body the right thing.

I never said cut it out 100% or to guilt trip the #&$@ out of yourself, but ppl ridicule posters on MFP for being vigilant about the ingredients in what they chose to eat as if it doesn't matter as long as your calories are straight. It's absurd to me.

Not sure why you would post anti science links to support your claim "sugar is bad for you"

Also fantastic job of leaving out context and dosage to that statement. Too little sugar is also bad for you and is essential to human life
  • ndj1979

Does the liver treat different sugars differently or not? Does the digestive system act different in any way when we eat high fiber with fructose than when we don't?

so by that logic if I add table sugar to Metamucil it is then bad because added sugar, or is it good because fiber???
  • Jolinia

so by that logic if I add table sugar to Metamucil it is then bad because added sugar, or is it good because fiber???

You will never answer my questions, will you?
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member

I've never seen a single person on MFP claim you should "eat whatever you want" or "who cares." I've seen a lot of people make the true statement that all that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit. However, none of those people advocate eating nothing but Twinkies, and most of those people get the bulk of their calories from nutritionally dense food. They very much care about their macros and micros. However, they also eat sugar in reasonable amounts, because it fits within their goals, and they're not eating it at an unhealthy dosage. Oh, and the people I assume you're referring to know a ton about nutrition and biochemistry. I learn a lot reading what they post.

The articles you linked don't prove sugar is bad - the first is written by someone who pulls what he wants from inconclusive studies to fearmonger, and on several points he's straight-up wrong. The WebMD article mentions research investigating a possible link between cholestoral and sugar, but nothing is proven yet. It also says MULTIPLE TIMES that the problem is overconsumption of CALORIES, not sugar. And the third one isn't a peer-reviewed study and doesn't have sources, so...no.

Sugar is not bad. Fact. Sugar is a neutral entity. It is unhealthy to overconsume it, but sugar is not unhealthy on its own. There's no reason to demonize it. Just eat it in moderation and at an appropriate dosage, as you should with anything.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    So if I buy the yogurt that you fold the container in half to dump in the fruit or honey (depending on which you buy), is that "added sugar"?

Is that how you are supposed to do that? Fold the container in half? Jeebus I feel stupid. I have been trying to scoop it from the dry side into the yogurt side with my spoon and making a heck of a mess in the process....
  • BadWolf_Rose
    BadWolf_Rose Posts: 27 Member
    As far as I've always known, any type of sugar IS sugar, regardless of where it comes from, be it fruit or cane, or honey or otherwise.

However, due to varying glycemic indexes for various types of food, this may effect a person, and I personally try to seek out things that are low GI, because I don't like the sugar crash feeling I get. In my opinion, though, every body is different, and ymmv.

This doesn't mean I don't indulge in 't3h evil white sugar' filled candies from time to time. Everything in moderation. (Obviously and unfortunately excluding those with diabetes and food allergies)

And to echo what some other people have said to the OP, Fage itself isn't unhealthy. Greek yogurt is a nutritional powerhouse! I'd try one of the 2% or the original Fage Total, and put a sprinkle of almonds with a drizzle of honey on top if you can't stomach it plain.