I think I've plateaued

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    SammyBlz1 wrote: »
    Why did you change your goal from 130 to 120?

I like the way my body is starting to look and I wish to be leaner. I used to be 120 my freshman year of highschool and gained a bunch of weight because of bad eating habits. I have decided this is a lifestyle change I need to keep.

Well, you're not a little girl of 14 anymore - I'm sure you've matured and filled out a little more. 120 is probably not your ideal weight now that you are an adult woman. You may not need to lose anymore to get the look you want. If you just want to be "leaner," take up weight lifting to change your body composition. Good luck! :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    Here's the solution to your plateu: EAT MORE. It will reset your body's metabolism. One reason you may be "plateuing" is that your body has slowed down your metabolism, gone into survival mode, and is storing everything it can.

I really don't know why people keep posting this advice. It's clearly not true.

"Survival mode" is a myth. You're not starving yourself unless you are REALLY starving. Not a term to use lightly when you look around the world and see people who are actually starving.

"Resetting your metabolism" is a myth. There's no ctrl-alt-del reboot switch on a body's metabolism.
    There's nothing "clear" about what you just posted. Survival mode and starvation mode are real. It doesn't mean your body magically finds calories where there are none, but our bodies are adaptive machines. When it doesn't get enough food for a sustained period of time, it absolutely tries to save energy wherever it can: it feels more sluggish, metabolism slows down, and you burn energy at a lower rate during regular activities (measured exercise notwithstanding). Someone at peak metabolism burns more calories standing, walking, sitting and sleeping than someone in starvation mode.

As for resetting metabolism, that's real too. No it's not like restarting your laptop. It's more like slowly readjusting and retraining the body to expect more food - hence it takes two weeks of maintenance level eating and not one binge session.

That posting by Segacs is very clear, and spot on.

Starvation mode is a myth as to the common dieter. To be in starvation mode, you must be emaciated and have lost a certain percentage of body fat and muscle. People who are fat or overweight, of normal weight, don't get starvation mode. Have you studied the Minnesota Starvation Experiment?

In the normal world of dieting, people telling others to stop starving themselves simply means to eat more. It in no way relates to starvation mode.

Resetting metabolism is a myth too. If your metabolism stops, you're dead. If it slows down, there is a medical issue that needs attention. However, it does not need to be "reset".

The only requirement to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. That's it. Everything else, such as diet type, food restriction, exercise, drinking tea teas, standing on your head while eating jelly beans, is preference only.
    Which has A LOT to do with your metabolism. Your metabolism doesn't have to "stop" in order for it to slow down. Your metabolism adapts to the input your body is getting as well the output you're performing. Yes, metabolism does slow down when the body doesn't get enough fuel. You can call that a medical issue, and if it is, it is caused by not eating enough.

As for starvation mode, it's absolutely real, including in fat people. We're not talking about famine-type starvation. We're talking about a big enough slowdown in metabolism that you begin to see a diminished effect on weight loss from dieting.

Again, that's not because things now suddenly take fewer calories to perform than they did before, but there's a rule of physics (since everyone here thinks they are a science expert and I actually DID study physics) that input energy is ALWAYS greater than output energy. That's because of energy loss. I can exert 100 calories to do something that only requires 60 calories to do. There's a 40 calorie loss. But that "loss" is a gain when you're trying to lose weight. I may be able to exert only 80 calories and still do that work (let's say it's opening 10 cans of jars) since it only takes 60 calories to do, but I just lost out on using that extra 20 calories.

Another way metabolism slowdown reduces energy expenditure is by making one feel lethargic and simply doing less. It may not always be noticeable in your day-to-day life but it's still happening.

That a really poor explanation of entropic principles. That inefficient energy loss is given off as heat not suddenly stored as fat (which would result in perfect energy system) so even if you studied physics - you've got it somewhat wrong. But that's a minor point.

On the metabolic slow down - you are correct, it does exist. As we diet metabolism slows down because a) we lose mass b)metabolic processes governed primarily by hormone are slowed. Reduced twitchiness and increase in a lethargic state are also correct. The correct term is adaptive thermogenesis, the term "starvation mode", as often used in these boards is questionable.

Anyway - back to the OP. It seems that you are undereating and while I understand your concern to not regain weight - please consider a diet break every six weeks or so. And slowly ramp back up to maintenance. Slowly because that way you won't freak out from a little weight gain (which isn't fat) that occurs normally as one increases calories - it happens because one has more undigested food in the gut and simply because with a little more cals the body also stores a lot more water (9g of water for each g of glycogen stored, approx).
    Metabolically, a maintenance break of two or three weeks allows for hormonal production to come back up and reduces that slow down discussed above. It improves stress and exercise performance and overall adherance to diet.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Here's the solution to your plateu: EAT MORE. It will reset your body's metabolism. One reason you may be "plateuing" is that your body has slowed down your metabolism, gone into survival mode, and is storing everything it can.

"Survival mode" is a myth. You're not starving yourself unless you are REALLY starving. Not a term to use lightly when you look around the world and see people who are actually starving.

"Resetting your metabolism" is a myth. There's no ctrl-alt-del reboot switch on a body's metabolism.
    There's nothing "clear" about what you just posted. Survival mode and starvation mode are real. It doesn't mean your body magically finds calories where there are none, but our bodies are adaptive machines. When it doesn't get enough food for a sustained period of time, it absolutely tries to save energy wherever it can: it feels more sluggish, metabolism slows down, and you burn energy at a lower rate during regular activities (measured exercise notwithstanding). Someone at peak metabolism burns more calories standing, walking, sitting and sleeping than someone in starvation mode.

As for resetting metabolism, that's real too. No it's not like restarting your laptop. It's more like slowly readjusting and retraining the body to expect more food - hence it takes two weeks of maintenance level eating and not one binge session.

Starvation mode is a myth as to the common dieter. To be in starvation mode, you must be emaciated and have lost a certain percentage of body fat and muscle. People who are fat or overweight, of normal weight, don't get starvation mode. Have you studied the Minnesota Starvation Experiment?

In the normal world of dieting, people telling others to stop starving themselves simply means to eat more. It in no way relates to starvation mode.

Resetting metabolism is a myth too. If your metabolism stops, you're dead. If it slows down, there is a medical issue that needs attention. However, it does not need to be "reset".

The only requirement to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. That's it. Everything else, such as diet type, food restriction, exercise, drinking tea teas, standing on your head while eating jelly beans, is preference only.
    Which has A LOT to do with your metabolism. Your metabolism doesn't have to "stop" in order for it to slow down. Your metabolism adapts to the input your body is getting as well the output you're performing. Yes, metabolism does slow down when the body doesn't get enough fuel. You can call that a medical issue, and if it is, it is caused by not eating enough.

As for starvation mode, it's absolutely real, including in fat people. We're not talking about famine-type starvation. We're talking about a big enough slowdown in metabolism that you begin to see a diminished effect on weight loss from dieting.

Again, that's not because things now suddenly take fewer calories to perform than they did before, but there's a rule of physics (since everyone here thinks they are a science expert and I actually DID study physics) that input energy is ALWAYS greater than output energy. That's because of energy loss. I can exert 100 calories to do something that only requires 60 calories to do. There's a 40 calorie loss. But that "loss" is a gain when you're trying to lose weight. I may be able to exert only 80 calories and still do that work (let's say it's opening 10 cans of jars) since it only takes 60 calories to do, but I just lost out on using that extra 20 calories.

Another way metabolism slowdown reduces energy expenditure is by making one feel lethargic and simply doing less. It may not always be noticeable in your day-to-day life but it's still happening.
    Okay, I'll bite.

Site peer reviewed studies for your claims, please.

Here you go.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

She's is using the term starvation mode as "adaptive thermogensis" and she is correct. You'll find various references in that thread on what it actually is, how it works and what diet pauses do. Although I dislike the term "starvation mode" and "metabolic reset" there is in fact a metabolic slow down during long diet periods that isn't due to the loss of lean mass and taking a pause in restriction does improve metabolic hormonal response (aka "reset"). And it occurs in all dieters - not just people actually starving.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Okay, I'll bite.

Site peer reviewed studies for your claims, please.

Here you go.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

She's is using the term starvation mode as "adaptive thermogensis" and she is correct. You'll find various references in that thread on what it actually is, how it works and what diet pauses do. Although I dislike the term "starvation mode" and "metabolic reset" there is in fact a metabolic slow down during long diet periods that isn't due to the loss of lean mass and taking a pause in restriction does improve metabolic hormonal response (aka "reset"). And it occurs in all dieters - not just people actually starving.

No, saying starvation mode and adaptive thermogenesis is the same thing is not correct.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Im trying to maintain a very healthy diet. I feel bad because i ate teddy grahams tonight and a few pieces of chocolate. :( i want to keep a low carb diet. ive never ate so bad in one week. Though I did cardio and burned 551 calories tonight. Dunno how many calories i burn with strength training but i do that in the mornings.
    Im proud of what I accomplished but I want to be able to accomplish more and it frustrates me i havent made my goal.
    I ate 1,000 calories today.[/quote]

1,000 calories a day is not enough food for a person of your age, size, or activity level. You frequently state that you are confused and frustrated because you don't know how many calories to eat. If you are burning 551 calories and eating only 1000, you are "netting" less than 500 calories a day; in effect, as if you ate only 500 calories a day. This might be why you feel anxious and stressed and are having monthly irregularities. (OFten girls lose their periods at this point, but your body is doing the reverse). Use the goals tool that MFP gives you to figure out how many calories to eat every and use the exercise diary to figure out how many calories you burn. I am twice your age (56) and 5'1.5" and weigh around 123, and I'm usually eating between 1200-1500 a day. Because you are taller, younger, and more active, you can definitely eat more. My diary is open if you want to see the kinds of things I eat. I tend to eat 3 meals and 2 small snacks a day. If you are eating enough, you won't feel the need to overeat junk like teddy grahams. Try to eat enough of each of the macros -- protein, carbs, and fats so that you get complete nutrition. Also, there are no "bad" foods, just what doesn't fit into your limit for the day, but you should focus on more nutrient dense foods so you will feel satisfied and not tempted to overindulge. Because you work out a lot, you should eat a lot of protein, as well as healthy carbs -- fruits, vegetables, and whole grain products.

The last 10 lbs. will come off, but not overnight. At this point, you will be losing .5 a lb a week because you are close to your goal. Also, the goal is not just a number on the scale. You've already achieved a tremendous goal by losing as much as you did. You may end up losing inches rather than lbs. due to your workouts. I've been "plateau'd" for a long time, but dropped an inch in the waist and hips, which is a whole pants size.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    Im trying to maintain a very healthy diet. I feel bad because i ate teddy grahams tonight and a few pieces of chocolate. :( i want to keep a low carb diet. ive never ate so bad in one week. Though I did cardio and burned 551 calories tonight. Dunno how many calories i burn with strength training but i do that in the mornings.
    Im proud of what I accomplished but I want to be able to accomplish more and it frustrates me i havent made my goal.
    I ate 1,000 calories today.

1,000 calories a day is not enough food for a person of your age, size, or activity level. You frequently state that you are confused and frustrated because you don't know how many calories to eat. If you are burning 551 calories and eating only 1000, you are "netting" less than 500 calories a day; in effect, as if you ate only 500 calories a day. This might be why you feel anxious and stressed and are having monthly irregularities. (OFten girls lose their periods at this point, but your body is doing the reverse). Use the goals tool that MFP gives you to figure out how many calories to eat every and use the exercise diary to figure out how many calories you burn. I am twice your age (56) and 5'1.5" and weigh around 123, and I'm usually eating between 1200-1500 a day. Because you are taller, younger, and more active, you can definitely eat more. My diary is open if you want to see the kinds of things I eat. I tend to eat 3 meals and 2 small snacks a day. If you are eating enough, you won't feel the need to overeat junk like teddy grahams. Try to eat enough of each of the macros -- protein, carbs, and fats so that you get complete nutrition. Also, there are no "bad" foods, just what doesn't fit into your limit for the day, but you should focus on more nutrient dense foods so you will feel satisfied and not tempted to overindulge. Because you work out a lot, you should eat a lot of protein, as well as healthy carbs -- fruits, vegetables, and whole grain products.

The last 10 lbs. will come off, but not overnight. At this point, you will be losing .5 a lb a week because you are close to your goal. Also, the goal is not just a number on the scale. You've already achieved a tremendous goal by losing as much as you did. You may end up losing inches rather than lbs. due to your workouts. I've been "plateau'd" for a long time, but dropped an inch in the waist and hips, which is a whole pants size.
    [/quote]

I took you guys advice and im unsure why but my weight fluctuated by another lb so hopefully it drops again
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I took you guys advice and im unsure why but my weight fluctuated by another lb so hopefully it drops again [/quote]

Weight fluctuations are normal.

Did you truly eat 1,000 calories (weighed and logged everything), or you are making an estimate? There can be a big difference between the two.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options

1,000 calories a day is not enough food for a person of your age, size, or activity level. You frequently state that you are confused and frustrated because you don't know how many calories to eat. If you are burning 551 calories and eating only 1000, you are "netting" less than 500 calories a day; in effect, as if you ate only 500 calories a day. This might be why you feel anxious and stressed and are having monthly irregularities. (OFten girls lose their periods at this point, but your body is doing the reverse). Use the goals tool that MFP gives you to figure out how many calories to eat every and use the exercise diary to figure out how many calories you burn. I am twice your age (56) and 5'1.5" and weigh around 123, and I'm usually eating between 1200-1500 a day. Because you are taller, younger, and more active, you can definitely eat more. My diary is open if you want to see the kinds of things I eat. I tend to eat 3 meals and 2 small snacks a day. If you are eating enough, you won't feel the need to overeat junk like teddy grahams. Try to eat enough of each of the macros -- protein, carbs, and fats so that you get complete nutrition. Also, there are no "bad" foods, just what doesn't fit into your limit for the day, but you should focus on more nutrient dense foods so you will feel satisfied and not tempted to overindulge. Because you work out a lot, you should eat a lot of protein, as well as healthy carbs -- fruIits, vegetables, and whole grain products.

[/quote]

I took you guys advice and im unsure why but my weight fluctuated by another lb so hopefully it drops again

Weight fluctuations are normal.

Did you truly eat 1,000 calories (weighed and logged everything), or you are making an estimate? There can be a big difference between the two. [/quote]
    I log everything very accurately. I dont do things by grams because i dont have a scale for that. I do it by amount and such. And i know im not hitting 1900 calories a day at all
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    Another thing is everyone is saying there are no things such as bad foods but that makes no sense? If i eat a few pieces of cake compared to a bunch of vegetables wouldn't that be inefficient to weight loss????
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Another thing is everyone is saying there are no things such as bad foods but that makes no sense? If i eat a few pieces of cake compared to a bunch of vegetables wouldn't that be inefficient to weight loss????

No.

My diary is open - you can see all the foods I eat. Lots of which people would consider "bad". I've lost 70 pounds so far.

Labeling foods good vs bad is attaching emotion (or even morality) to them. It's not something I believe in. I don't want emotions tied into my food. I call things sometimes food and always food (for the sake of my kids).

You don't want to eat cake all day, every day - you won't be meeting your nutritional goals that way. But if you want a slice of cake sometimes - have it. It's going to undo the work you've done. I promise.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you want ways to add calories try adding nuts, cheese, protein bars, yogurt (Greek or otherwise), healthy fats.

There is nothing wrong with your exercise, it soothes you, that's great. But there is something wrong with obsessing over that last 10 pounds. Stop comparing yourself to others to start. Beauty isn't just from the form, it comes from how you treat others, how you comport yourself and your confidence. Work on that.

You are beginning to sound a bit self-destructive to me, I think you should discuss your concerns with your doctor or nurse. The school has counselors that can help you out.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options

No.

My diary is open - you can see all the foods I eat. Lots of which people would consider "bad". I've lost 70 pounds so far.

Labeling foods good vs bad is attaching emotion (or even morality) to them. It's not something I believe in. I don't want emotions tied into my food. I call things sometimes food and always food (for the sake of my kids).

You don't want to eat cake all day, every day - you won't be meeting your nutritional goals that way. But if you want a slice of cake sometimes - have it. It's going to undo the work you've done. I promise.

That makes sense. I just feel like if I don't label something as "clean" food then I go overboard. I guess I need to work on that.
    I stepped on the scale again after eating breakfast this morning, which was eggs, 1/3 of a banana, two orange slices, and half a cup of oatmeal with a teaspoon of brown sugar, and drinking coffee and it was the same weight so I'm assuming earlier this morning was water weight. Which I'm fine with.
    I just really want to go back to eating more natural with low carbs. I like the way it makes me feel and how my conscious feels.
    I haven't worked out yet today because on Fridays I tend to sleep in but I'll get the same, if not more done because I knock it all out at the same time.
    Another thing I'd like to ask about is if I do eat low calorie but I'm feeling good, not hungry, and not dizzy or anything do I really need to hit my calorie goal?

Also guys if I have a random posting that seems incomplete it probably is. My phone Ghosts and I can't get it fixed till May so it will press things on its own a lot of the time.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    always eat AT LEAST 1200 calories. Please. It's a part of taking good care of yourself
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    If you want ways to add calories try adding nuts, cheese, protein bars, yogurt (Greek or otherwise), healthy fats.

There is nothing wrong with your exercise, it soothes you, that's great. But there is something wrong with obsessing over that last 10 pounds. Stop comparing yourself to others to start. Beauty isn't just from the form, it comes from how you treat others, how you comport yourself and your confidence. Work on that.

You are beginning to sound a bit self-destructive to me, I think you should discuss your concerns with your doctor or nurse. The school has counselors that can help you out.

I'm trying to stay away from cheese because its so high in fat. Sometimes I eat it. Most the time I don't.

I am a good person and treat others well. I'm working on myself forsure. I just feel defeated about my body. I'm at that stage in life where I feel like everything i do isn't enough. :/

I don't want to talk to a doctor about it. My stepfather is one. I have a history with an eating disorder and I don't feel like I have fallen back into one.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

No.

That makes sense. I just feel like if I don't label something as "clean" food then I go overboard. I guess I need to work on that.
    I stepped on the scale again after eating breakfast this morning, which was eggs, 1/3 of a banana, two orange slices, and half a cup of oatmeal with a teaspoon of brown sugar, and drinking coffee and it was the same weight so I'm assuming earlier this morning was water weight. Which I'm fine with.
    I just really want to go back to eating more natural with low carbs. I like the way it makes me feel and how my conscious feels.
    I haven't worked out yet today because on Fridays I tend to sleep in but I'll get the same, if not more done because I knock it all out at the same time.
    Another thing I'd like to ask about is if I do eat low calorie but I'm feeling good, not hungry, and not dizzy or anything do I really need to hit my calorie goal?

Also guys if I have a random posting that seems incomplete it probably is. My phone Ghosts and I can't get it fixed till May so it will press things on its own a lot of the time.

It depends on what low calorie is. If it's under 1,200ish, yes - you should consume more IMO. You can have a Snickers bar, or a glass of OJ or something like that to bump you up to where you need to be. If it's under your goal of 1900, you don't necessarily have to force yourself to eat - just be mindful of getting as close as you can.

We need to make sure we're fueling our bodies - and there is fuel in just about every food - including the above mentioned Snickers.

As an aside - fat is good for you - don't be afraid of it. It helps your body absorb nutrients. It also helps you poop :)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I'm trying to stay away from cheese because its so high in fat. Sometimes I eat it. Most the time I don't.

I am a good person and treat others well. I'm working on myself forsure. I just feel defeated about my body. I'm at that stage in life where I feel like everything i do isn't enough. :/

I don't want to talk to a doctor about it. My stepfather is one. I have a history with an eating disorder and I don't feel like I have fallen back into one.

You may very well be heading toward an eating disorder again. The statement "I'm at the stage in life where I feel everything I do isn't enough." These are the feelings that a an older person with lots of responsibilities and successes and failures might have, not a young girl whose main goal in life is to be a good student and take care of herself. Some of your behaviors do have some ED markers. For instance, you are doing things like weighing yourself after every meal, worrying about weight fluctuations, etc. 1 lb. or 2 lb. fluctuation, especially in a younger woman who has monthly cycles, is normal. Sometimes it can be the result of eating something with a little more sodium, or a heavy workout where your muscles retain water. My advice -- choose a day and weigh yourself once a week.

Also, fat isn't all evil. Cheese is a good source of calcium and protein. If it fits into your calorie goals for the day, eat it. Yes, some foods with nutrients have calories; our bodies need nutrients and calories.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

To be bluntly honest, it sounds like you are heading in that direction again. You may not see it, but it is pretty obvious from your posts. If I were you, I would get help now, rather than later when it can be harder to undo the learned behavior.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

To be bluntly honest, it sounds like you are heading in that direction again. You may not see it, but it is pretty obvious from your posts. If I were you, I would get help now, rather than later when it can be harder to undo the learned behavior.

I do agree with this, too. It won't hurt to talk to someone and just be aware of what's going on with you and your thoughts. It's part of being healthy, too :)
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I agree, history of eating disorder + a lot of the stuff you have posted looks to me like you are headed back down that path again.

Why not eat the whole banana and a whole cup of oatmeal for breakfast? Just for starters. Eating disorders come about sometimes because of feeling like you lack control. You're in a place where you're homesick and miss your family and you don't have a whole lot of control over your environment....so you're taking it out on what you DO have control over.

I definitely agree with some other posters on here. Your campus should have a doctor, nurse, or counselor you can speak to. And you should probably do so.

Good luck.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Fat is good for you. Don't be afraid of it.