If You Ate Whatever you wanted, no excersize, what do you think would be your stable bmi/ weight?

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Right on Sabine! Next up! Or if anyone of us felt oveweight and above people are attractive, as I do, would eating less than is desireable still be worth it?
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Eating whatever I want I end up around 160lbs, BMI of 25.8.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If I ate what I liked and didn't exercise I would be back to being fatter! That's how I gained in the first place.
    When I was at my heaviest my BMR was 27. It's now 24 and in the normal/healthy range which was my aim of losing.

Regardless of what science proved with a higher bmi I looked ok but not great, I hated how clothes looked on me. Now I feel so much better in every way, not just body composition but fit and full of energy.
  • Gamliela
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Dsadvocate, sounds great, unless you are over 51 years. Then its better to be 27 bmi or more, you know for bones, muscles and all that!
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Hi MJ, how many calories are you at?

At TDEE-500, I eat around 1,900 calories on average. (I have a Fitbit and eat back exercise calories so that number does vary.) I'm losing almost a pound a week. I wager I'd be losing the whole pound, but I'm usually over by a couple hundred a week... What can I say? I love food!

If you need more stats, I'm 5'6", 25, and female. Oh, also I've lost just over 85lbs, not 75! (Oops.)
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Sabine, the new research shows that there is less mortality, death, at bmi stable overweight and obese than in the middle bmi range! Especially for people 51 years and over.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sabine, the new research shows that there is less mortality, death, at bmi stable overweight and obese than in the middle bmi range! Especially for people 51 years and over.

Can you cite that research?
    Oh, for OVER 51. okay, that's a bit different.
    but still, can you link me to something?
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Wow, Watson , thats a lot of weight gone.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Right on Sabine! Next up! Or if anyone of us felt oveweight and above people are attractive, as I do, would eating less than is desireable still be worth it?

I feel so much better when I'm eating right and exercising. The husband and I pigged out on our honeymoon, and by the end of it I was starting to get physically ill. I remember being 30 lbs heavier and feeling sluggish and weak all the time. Eating whatever I want isn't worth feeling that bad again, even if it could be proven to be healthy and was generally seen as attractive. (Personally I find my overweight husband very attractive, but I don't like that look on me, so it's really a stretch to imagine my views on myself could change enough...) Maaaybe I'd be ok with eating a lot more and keeping up with my workouts. It's a lot easier to get PRs when you're well fed.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Weight of 320#, BMI of 60.5. Not much of a guess because that's where I started 3 years ago.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Hi emdeesa, how old are you?

I'm 43.

• Gamliela
    Options
    Sabine, If you go to dr. Halls bmi calculator you can find it. There he cites two papers and explains with graphs.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Crystalflame, I really know what a rotten feeling it is to drop significantly, go on holiday, eat at reestaurants and become water logged in every single body cell to the point of pain! Gagh! Not fun.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    That's how I got in this state lol So for me, my no holds barred weight was 168. I'm 5' 6.5", 42.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Emdessa, ahhh, 43, a beautiful age, still have your looks, been through enough to know some things too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sabine, If you go to dr. Halls bmi calculator you can find it. There he cites two papers and explains with graphs.
    Plugged in my numbers.
    My BMI is 21.something.
    Women tend to believe they look their best at values between 20 to 22 and men are usually satisfied with a BMI of 23 to 25. If your BMI is between 17 to 22, your life expectancy is longer than average. You don't need to lose weight.

Didn't see what you were referring to, in fact:
    If your BMI is between 23 and 25, you are not considered overweight by most people. But if your BMI is 26 or more, that's not good. But you knew that already.

am I missing something?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Probably BMI 26 (161lbs), which in itself is still a respectable weight range, IMO. That's where I ended up after quitting my physical job to be a housewife (and a terrible housekeeper, so I was less than sedentary ;) ). I always ate what I wanted, and was always slender to average, as long as I was active (walking/owned no car, on my feet/lifting/walking 8 hrs/day, etc.).

So, clearly I *can* maintain a "naturally" slim weight, but my appetite and food preferences dictate that I be an active person to maintain an average weight range. Take away the activity, and I'd carry a little extra, assuming I ate to my appetite, no care to calories.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Hmm, I found a whole page there about bmi and some graphs with age related bmi shifts according to age. Let me go back and see ....
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100128091740.htm

I admit I only skimmed this article but yeah, I remember being taught this a bit in nursing school, that older people who have some weight on them fare better healthwise than those who are obese to morbidly obese and those who are rail thin.

The idea we were taught is that if you have some fat on you, you have some fallback if you become ill and for some reason can't eat. If you end up in the hospital on parenteral nutrition, you've got some fat stores to fall back on. You've also got some cushioning for those frailer bones.

• Gamliela
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ok. Go down the Halls bmi calculator page to Body Mass Index Charts, its in Red and links to the page with the charts and at the bottom of the page with the charts showing healthy bmi shifts with age, is another link in Red that takes you to the science papers.