Sometimes moderation just isn't even worth it..

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    MezaEza wrote: »
    100 calories brownies (or less if you don't add the nuts!) http://www.thelondoner.me/2013/04/100-cal-chocofudge-brownies.html

Might try those with sugar... I hate Truvia. I'd have to buy yogurt though... I've been scared of trying the bean brownies too... Maybe I'll bite the bullet one of these days.

Cheesecake is worth it though, with all the fat from the cream cheese in there it's actually filling. Same for pizza, or burgers etc... Brownies? Not so much :(

But for now the craving is actually gone, thankfully... but we'll see what the week end brings. I haven't managed to keep a big deficit so far this week though so I need to try not to overdo it...

I hate Truvia and the like too. Tastes awful to me.

I am not sure, but you might be able to make the 1-2-3 Microwave cake work, if you add frosting. The basic recipe is about 80 calories.

Mix one box dry angel food cake mix with one box dry any flavor cake mix and store in plastic container with a lid.

Scoop 3 Tablespoons of the mixture into a coffee mug, stir in 2 Tablespoons water and microwave for 1 minute.

If you choose chocolate, you can add 1 teaspoon (or more) chocolate chips to the mixture in the mug. Frost it if you want to add more calories, or put more chips on top to melt.

I've only tasted the chocolate and the white cake mix varieties. Someone I know did a trial run and I got to taste it. I think the white cake would be good with strawberries.

You can probably get pretty satisfied with about 3 of these (240 cals) plus some additional calories to make up the frosting/topping.

They are light and fluffy though, NOT dense like brownies. About 4 or 5 bucks down the drain if you don't like it. Oh, and I figure it's "safer" having the dry mix on hand where you just cook up one serving (or more) at a time instead of baking an entire cake and negotiating with yourself!

55835802.png

The 1 2 3 cake is a waste of $5 and 100 calories IMO.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The problem with pizza is leftovers. I used to always get extra so I could have lots of them. Now I tend to get pizza if the person I'm getting it with will take the leftovers.

"Leftover pizza?" I understand what the two words mean separately, but together they make no sense. ;)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering why some people here have an issue with leftovers... can't you just like, log them for the next few days? E.g. if I get a small 10in pizza (4 or 6 slice pizzas are all that exist for GF that I've seen here) then I will eat 1-2 slices today, then over the next 2 days I'll finish it off. I make huge meals for leftover purposes. I also still have half a box of hedgehog chocolates from Christmas and I just got a new box with lots of chocolate that should last me easily into the spring lol. Gonna have to freeze it though because they expire haha ("homemade" type chocolate, needs to be refrigerated after purchase even).

Although I managed to save up 600 or so calories over a few days through exercise and so I ate 5 slices of pizza last night. Totally fit into my day too :p
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering why some people here have an issue with leftovers... can't you just like, log them for the next few days? E.g. if I get a small 10in pizza (4 or 6 slice pizzas are all that exist for GF that I've seen here) then I will eat 1-2 slices today, then over the next 2 days I'll finish it off. I make huge meals for leftover purposes. I also still have half a box of hedgehog chocolates from Christmas and I just got a new box with lots of chocolate that should last me easily into the spring lol. Gonna have to freeze it though because they expire haha ("homemade" type chocolate, needs to be refrigerated after purchase even).

Although I managed to save up 600 or so calories over a few days through exercise and so I ate 5 slices of pizza last night. Totally fit into my day too :p

Some of us hear the siren song of leftovers and can't resist the urge to finish them off. I have an evolutionary theory that leaving food to rot was not good for survival chances when food was scarce, so the desire to finish food off is natural. Of course it's utter baloney (pardon the pun) pulled right from an impolite region of my anatomy with no proof whatsoever, but I like it anyway.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

because that would be too easy ….

weight loss is supposed to be a torturous process that makes you feel miserable….
  • emla100
    emla100 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are many books on willpower and stress etc and one of the issues is how we, as humans, deal with diets and the stress of wanting a cookie or a treat and not having it. Apparently it's better for your diet and your thoughts if you tell yourself you can have it later if you still want it. By using this strategy your brain doesn't think about it any more versus telling yourself you can't have it keeps your brain focused on the fact you can't have that item. This trick definitely works for me - however I do believe that having a couple of indulgent moments is good and keeps me on track.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Well I've tried a bunch of mug cakes or lower calorie substitutions and it just doesn't cut it, lol.

Oh god, microwave mug cakes are an insult to dessert.

I realise that there may be something wrong with ME, but sad, rubbery cake-style product doesn't really appeal.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Get some chocolate whip cream. It is the best for satisfying your craving. It is low calorie and low carb
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I agree, sometimes moderation doesn't cut it! That's why I adore lower calorie alternatives (they're everywhere now)! Have you ever heard of No Pudge!'s Brownie Mix? You mix it with nonfat yogurt, microwave it for a minute, and you have yourself a nice serving of a super low calorie brownies (super short ingredients too, nothing really artificial!)
    If you've never tried these, find a store near you that sells it! It's a lifesaver :)
    You can buy it online, but shipping makes it expensive. There's a David's Natural Market near my house though that sells a bunch of them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering why some people here have an issue with leftovers... can't you just like, log them for the next few days?

Of course, but I might be able to fit a pizza dinner into my week without wanting to fit 3 such dinners in. Similarly, I might be happy to have a piece of apple pie tonight without wanting one 4 nights in a row.

Pizza for me is hard to square with my macros, also. It's more that than the calories with thin crust. Of course I can make it fit by adding sides (although that's contrary to the whole, yay, leftovers, no cooking thing that's in my head) or playing around with other meals, but it's more work than I'd like. I'd rather go out for a more splurgy dinner one night, have someone else take the leftovers (or order so there aren't any) and go back to my usual dinner/lunch the next day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Or to put it in the context of moderation, if getting pizza means I personally end up with a whole pizza to eat over time, then it's going to be something I do very rarely. If it means I can have a couple of pieces and that's, that, I'd be more likely to get it regularly.

As it is my office does a Friday lunch and pizza comes up often enough that I rarely feel the urge to get it otherwise (unless friends want to go to a good pizza place). I used to eat the Friday lunch pizza leftovers all weekend (as I always seem to work on the weekend), but now I bring my own lunch.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I'm just wondering why some people here have an issue with leftovers... can't you just like, log them for the next few days?

Well, it really depends what. Fried stuff... not so much. It's just not as good when it's reheated. Pizza? Sure. Baked goods? Not as good the next day either.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! Some foods I have decided to just not have because a small amount just isn't worth it. But some stuff--even a small amount is just a TON of calories. I love LOVE LOVE croissants, but a normal size one is like 260 calories. I think I have had three in the past 8 months because it just seems like a lot for one item. I know there are petite croissants, but really-why bother--I want three. At a Christmas party I popped three Frango mints in my mouth and then was SHOCKED at how much calories those were. Too many for not much in your mouth. I get sad too...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't do moderation. More accurately, I only do it when 10 chips is all I want. When I want a slice of my mother's 700-calories-per-slice mousse cake, I better have that 700 calorie whole slice (or two) of cake because if I do a sliver I will have spent 200 or so calories on something that made me even more miserable and wanting. If it's worth saving for/working off then damn it all I'm going to have it, even if it puts my day at 4000 calories and puts me in a position where I'll have to eat rabbit food for a whole week.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Last night I was very excited because I was planning to take my husband to this cute little bakery to get a butterhorn (if you've never had one, you haven't yet lived). I pre-logged that dessert 3 days in advance, I was so determined to have one. I've been telling people about this thing for 6 months and every time I drive by the sign, I practically start drooling.

So naturally, when we drive up there's a big ole CLOSED sign hanging there on the door. I was so disappointed that I couldn't bring myself to find an alternate dessert - I just went to bed sad...
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Oh that must have been so depressing! I've made myself wait 3 weeks for my favorite wine from a local winery. Yesterday I gave myself permission to buy a bottle...and they were closed too. I was very sad.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill gluten-free brownie mix is love. Make with applesauce and egg whites and add some sliced almonds and flax. I bake them in the brownie pan. Each comes out to about 110 calories and they are delicious. No one ever believes they aren't 300+ calories...they are that good. So I never feel bad in eating 4 at a time. Huge portion!
  • Francl27
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »
    Last night I was very excited because I was planning to take my husband to this cute little bakery to get a butterhorn (if you've never had one, you haven't yet lived). I pre-logged that dessert 3 days in advance, I was so determined to have one. I've been telling people about this thing for 6 months and every time I drive by the sign, I practically start drooling.

So naturally, when we drive up there's a big ole CLOSED sign hanging there on the door. I was so disappointed that I couldn't bring myself to find an alternate dessert - I just went to bed sad...

I hate when that happens. I've actually been having those dreams for years about French croissants/pastries... that I get in line and someone orders the last one in front of me, or I get there and it's closed. Last week I went everywhere to look for a raisin brioche and couldn't find one either, but I found an acceptable alternative for my craving at least.

But I'm curious, are butterhorns just croissants? They look alike.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »

I hate when that happens. I've actually been having those dreams for years about French croissants/pastries... that I get in line and someone orders the last one in front of me, or I get there and it's closed. Last week I went everywhere to look for a raisin brioche and couldn't find one either, but I found an acceptable alternative for my craving at least.

But I'm curious, are butterhorns just croissants? They look alike.

Its like a croissant filled with a whipped cream/butter cream hybrid. Flippin' fantastic. Probably at least a 1000 calories per serving but so worth it. (some people stuff them with fruit)
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Bob's Red Mill gluten-free brownie mix is love. Make with applesauce and egg whites and add some sliced almonds and flax. I bake them in the brownie pan. Each comes out to about 110 calories and they are delicious. No one ever believes they aren't 300+ calories...they are that good. So I never feel bad in eating 4 at a time. Huge portion!

Bob's Red Mill, what a cool dude, he retired and gave his company to his employee's. He could have sold it for millions. I've never seen brownie mix but I will defiantly look for it. I try to always buy my various flours and oats from them.