If You Ate Whatever you wanted, no excersize, what do you think would be your stable bmi/ weight?

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    So looks like everyone here is convinced that without dieting and 'formal' out of the ordinary excersize they will become something they can't live with?

No, I lived with myself just fine. I didn't love the way I looked but that was just one small part of my life-- it rarely affected me negatively (buying clothes comes to mind though).

But I started out to lose a few pounds for my wedding and then I felt so much better that I just kept going. When I added exercise it was better still. I've got a few chronic health issues that lifting weights really helped. Before I was completely sedentary.

It sounds like you enjoy doing all the extras to keep thin and keep your chronic health issues at bay.
    What chronic health issues does lifting help?

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So looks like everyone here is convinced that without dieting and 'formal' out of the ordinary excersize they will become something they can't live with?

No, I lived with myself just fine. I didn't love the way I looked but that was just one small part of my life-- it rarely affected me negatively (buying clothes comes to mind though).

But I started out to lose a few pounds for my wedding and then I felt so much better that I just kept going. When I added exercise it was better still. I've got a few chronic health issues that lifting weights really helped. Before I was completely sedentary.

It sounds like you enjoy doing all the extras to keep thin and keep your chronic health issues at bay.
    What chronic health issues does lifting help?

I've got fibromyalgia, and some other stuff that hasn't been identified yet (but hey, it's only been 14 years, who would expect a diagnosis in that amount of time :laugh:). Lots of studies show the benefits of exercise for fibro but I hated all of it until I found lifting.

I don't mind logging my food, although I don't know that I always will. I think with some rules in place for myself I could maintain without logging. I definitely think it has benefited me-- I eat a lot more vegetables and only eat treats moderately, which makes me enjoy them more.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    I don't know your age, but do you plan to keep lifting your whole life?
    I prefer not to log calories myself, at this point I would like to just live more and fret less!:-)
    I log now to make sure I get enough calories.
  • gotfatincollege89
    gotfatincollege89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    AlysonG2 wrote: »
    If I truly ate whatever I wanted and didn't exercise, I would be extremely obese, like I was before. I'm not even sure I could put a cap on it.

Sounds about right. I'd be one of those people you see on those medical documentary shows who weighs near 1,000 lbs and needs to be weighed on a special scale
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Not me. I was much happier mentally when I was over 300#. 2 reasons I decided to drop weight are I got tired of only have 1 pair of pants to wear and my GP saying losing weight would fix my HBP.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    By not caring about my body I was 432lbs (BMI - 60.2 = Class III Morbid Obesity) when i started my WOE in August, 27th 2013. May of been higher but i had just brought a scale that had a 440lb limit so 432lbs is my only recorded weight to go with.

Currently 185lbs (25.8)

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Ate what I want and no exercise? I'd probably creep up to 15 stone at 5'8.
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    At my worst I ate roughly 7,000 calories a day. On a weekend this would go up to 10-12,000 calories. I did that for about 5 years and only put on about 15lbs in each of those years, but as my body slowed down it's metabolism, I think I would gain a lot more and at 5'7 probably hit 300lbs within a few years!
  • Gamliela
    Options
    AlysonG2 wrote: »
    If I truly ate whatever I wanted and didn't exercise, I would be extremely obese, like I was before. I'm not even sure I could put a cap on it.

Sounds about right. I'd be one of those people you see on those medical documentary shows who weighs near 1,000 lbs and needs to be weighed on a special scale

I think what they aren't saying is that only a VERY small percentage of humans have the capacity to reach that high of a body weight and sustain it, and then eating enough to succede in maintaining it.
    we kind of focus on these few and feed the fear.

• Gamliela
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Not me. I was much happier mentally when I was over 300#. 2 reasons I decided to drop weight are I got tired of only have 1 pair of pants to wear and my GP saying losing weight would fix my HBP.

Yes, its evident to me that people are mentally happier at their natural sze when just eating.
    Take a look at celebs who loose weight, take a close look wt their eyes and facial tension in the 'thin' version as opposed to the happie relaxed faces of the more robust pictures! Its amazing!
  • Gamliela
    Options
    By not caring about my body I was 432lbs (BMI - 60.2 = Class III Morbid Obesity) when i started my WOE in August, 27th 2013. May of been higher but i had just brought a scale that had a 440lb limit so 432lbs is my only recorded weight to go with.

Currently 185lbs (25.8)

What age are you now?
  • Gamliela
    Options
    At my worst I ate roughly 7,000 calories a day. On a weekend this would go up to 10-12,000 calories. I did that for about 5 years and only put on about 15lbs in each of those years, but as my body slowed down it's metabolism, I think I would gain a lot more and at 5'7 probably hit 300lbs within a few years!

This is important information because if shows a real account of time, calories and height, not just a guess at where we MIGHT go if we ate until hunger is satisfied. Also, its not yoyo dieting either. And its not the rapid weight gain after a reducing diet, its not rebound weight, which gives a false impression that endless rapid weight gain will happen unless a diet is constantly taken on. Its weight added by natural eating, sounds great.

Thanks very much.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Ate what I want and no exercise? I'd probably creep up to 15 stone at 5'8.

Darren, that's not much really! You lucky dog!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options

Currently 185lbs (25.8)

What age are you now?

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options

I can live with it. I would weigh about 15-25 pounds more than I'd like to weigh. That's not terrible. If I gained weight uniformly, I would mind less, but it tends to glob on in certain spots and less in others.

I feel better physically and emotionally when I eat more nutritious foods and exercise regularly, AND when I feel better physically and emotionally, I eat more nutritious foods and exercise regularly. Injury and/or depression is what derails me.
  • jaynerz
    jaynerz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic! My guess is I would have a BMI around 25 or 26, putting me in the slightly overweight catergory. I weigh around 122 now, I would probably be around 137-140 if I ate everything i wanted. If it was healthy and attractive, I'd do it! :)
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Oh I could live with me, as long as someone was willing to bring me food and keep a roof over my head, but it wasn't going to be a very long, happy life.

That said, if I stay low carb there is a chance I won't have to count calories forever. Once I hit goal weight I'll attempt to learn to eat for my energy expenditure. I have no intention of giving up exercise, however. I'm really enjoying it, and soon the pool will open and I can add swimming to my fun!
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I would be back to where I started, 257 lbs and steadily gaining until I died of a weight related illness. I chose this!!!
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Either 160 lbs, where I somehow maintained for quite a while, or 200.