So for those maintaining below 2000/day, is this a lifetime commitment?

Options

Replies

• KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I eat over 3,000 to maintain a body weight of 144lbs (maintained a 127lbs loss for over a year. 2000 calores would be harsh a deficit for me. Do you happen to follow Linda Bacon? The op seems very HAES and Linda is worshiped over there. She has never mentioned 2000 calories, but feels that people in the overweight category are healthier. She also speaks about people eating too few calories and gaining weight...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Chigurl28 wrote: »
    Hi,
    based on my targeted period + potential weight loss to be achieved, I am on 1280 calories/day. I have only had double that calorie intake once when I visited both kfc n McDonald's. I want to continue it for a very long time, to the point where I'm acclamatised to eating only when I need to n wisely too.
    Low calorie intake should be done with some protein, fruits and veges as part of the day's menu. You could never go wrong nutrition-wise.
    I must confess I started with the Cambridge weight plan where I was on 810kcals/day. So this is me taking my time now yet staying on track...hopefully.
    P.S: with the CWP, lost 6kg in 3weeks!

OK great for posting this! Another vote for " yes! I am willing to do less than 2000 a day to keep my weight down."

Its really becoming clear that a lot, maybe MOST of us MPF'ers are willing to keep restricting calories under 2000 a day, isnt it?

A couple of things are very clear. First, you don't understand how weight is maintained, lost, or gained ... your hangup on the 2000 calorie level and willful ignorance as to why people eat below it based on solid science demonstrates this issue. Second, you have a skewed view of weight management. Third, the concept of scientific research published in the public domain eludes you ... if you understood it then you would provide a link to the research you claim to have read. I could go on, but honestly, it would be a waste of my time trying to highlight where logic, fact, and the scientific method all fail to support your posts since you are obviously unwilling to listen.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    2000 calories per day would cause me to gain weight. Even when I was exclusively breastfeeding (i.e burning extra calories), and when I weighed more than I do now, I tried eating 500 extra calories above my maintenance, which put me somewhere between 1900 and 2000 calories per day, and I started gaining weight. I had to cut back by 200 calories to keep from gaining. For the size I am now, 1440 calories is maintenance for me. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to eating to maintain a healthy weight.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    OMG this is an excellent analogy.....I'm a very visual person and it was just awesome. I'd like to frame it! :) Can I copy and paste the analogy and put this on my blog(giving you credit of course) to reread it offend? Thx. B)

_Waffle_ wrote: »
    As far as impact on your health there is none. Your body is a machine much like an automobile. Some days you drive around more and need more fuel, other days you drive less. Your fuel tank is your fat cells. If you get more gas than you need for the day then it stays in the tank. If you don't get enough then you draw reserves from the fuel tank. There's no need to use exactly the right amount of fuel each day. Your fuel tank is a buffer.

Of course if you don't put enough fuel in the car you'll eventually run out of gas. Likewise adding more fuel than the car needs every day will result in an unhealthy situation. Can you imagine strapping extra fuel tanks to the side and top of your car to carry all the fuel you keep adding? That's what overeating is.

You don't have to eat perfectly exactly what you need each day. You should however average out to what you need. Maintenance isn't about being perfect. It's about eating generally what you need to eat each day.

Are you more worried about filling up your gas tank, or more concerned with driving around in your car? Stop fretting about how often you stop at the gas station. Spend your time enjoying your drives around town. (Hopefully the traffic is good)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This thread is still showing up in my feed... I can't believe it is still going..

I guess I will get another day of entertainment at work, while trying really hard to not look!
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    The OP choose to stay in an overweight BMI on purpose!

224tucp01csm.jpg

Again, this thread is a train wreck.... You know you should not look, but you just can't help but look no matter what you might see!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Laura3BB wrote: »
    I say, congrats to the OP for sticking in there and answering all those comments! I don't agree with you OP (and I'm a doctor) but you sure have some staying power!

I have to note though, she disappeared when the other thread opened and came back when it closed. How weird is that :)
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    This thread is still showing up in my feed... I can't believe it is still going..

I guess I will get another day of entertainment at work, while trying really hard to not look!

I know, I know *hangs head*

At this point I'm in only in anticipation of the gifs, to be honest.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    rllove88 wrote: »
    The op just wants to justify the fact that they are overweight by claiming it is unhealthy to eat less that 2000 cals.

So far they have yet to provide a single link to back up their claims, not surprising as they are nonsense.

I completely agree. The OP was making the same claims on another thread and when I brought up the accurate information and asked for sources I got the same responses.

OP just wants someone to tell her it's ok to be overweight and that she should continue eating whatever she wants. It's pretty clear from her posts. And all the citing of this "research" sounds delusional.

Actually, if you want us to research your claims ourselves, what is the name of the female researcher you are referring to? Let me guess, you don't have time to post that?
    I am barely in the overweight bmi range. i choose to be here, I am eating 2300 a day to stay here, and some days its not easy to eat that much actually. I have my own justification for this from research I have read, no just one artical. But the things I have read from one particular author have lengthy bibliographies amd I am not in a position to look at all the research and post links. Its not new research, I am gathering that some of you have heard about these findings before. Even some news articles have covered it, especially in UK news. It wont be hard to locate.

Thanks for your criticism!

Hi

I wonder if I could get you to maybe look at this from a different angle to the BMI one.

I would like to work out (with your permission) your body fat percentage, to see if that is in the healthy range?

All I would need is your weight,height, wrist measurement, hip, waist (at naval) measurement.
    I would be able to tell you what your BF percentage is which is a far better indicator of health than the BMI index which takes no account of the composition of the person.

Are you up for a bit of open mindedness?

I'd be interested in this as well.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I say, congrats to the OP for sticking in there and answering all those comments! I don't agree with you OP (and I'm a doctor) but you sure have some staying power!

I have to note though, she disappeared when the other thread opened and came back when it closed. How weird is that :)

Well I am shocked - shocked at what you are implying.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

I know, I know *hangs head*

At this point I'm in only in anticipation of the gifs, to be honest.
    sa07a3pwok0y.gif
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    have i missed the flogging a dead horse gif!?

I hadn't seen that one!

• Gamliela
    Options
    I'm curious to know if those who maintain at lower than 2000 a day are happy with that and are you planning to continue it for life. If not what is your plan and do you think that low calorie maintenance will have an impact on you health?

Monday to Friday I find its easier to maintain at 2,000 and below with the routine of work.

Saturday and Sunday I wouldn't maintain but wouldn't binge either.

Only record on MVP Monday to Friday (when I should be working!).

Americano's/Black Coffee really helps me on my low calorie days but the most important thing is to have a strong mind.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Its so varied and interesting to see how every one here is approaching eating. Love coffee, it smells so wondeful. Happy weekends you!!!

• Gamliela
    Options
    The op just wants to justify the fact that they are overweight by claiming it is unhealthy to eat less that 2000 cals.

So far they have yet to provide a single link to back up their claims, not surprising as they are nonsense.

I completely agree. The OP was making the same claims on another thread and when I brought up the accurate information and asked for sources I got the same responses.

OP just wants someone to tell her it's ok to be overweight and that she should continue eating whatever she wants. It's pretty clear from her posts. And all the citing of this "research" sounds delusional.

Actually, if you want us to research your claims ourselves, what is the name of the female researcher you are referring to? Let me guess, you don't have time to post that?
    I am barely in the overweight bmi range. i choose to be here, I am eating 2300 a day to stay here, and some days its not easy to eat that much actually. I have my own justification for this from research I have read, no just one artical. But the things I have read from one particular author have lengthy bibliographies amd I am not in a position to look at all the research and post links. Its not new research, I am gathering that some of you have heard about these findings before. Even some news articles have covered it, especially in UK news. It wont be hard to locate.

tumblr_m1kgvl1S791qzjidwo1_250_zpsoexroyg4.gif

Gambling here?

Only with caloric intake and what of the steaks?

• Gamliela
    Options

Hi

I wonder if I could get you to maybe look at this from a different angle to the BMI one.

I would like to work out (with your permission) your body fat percentage, to see if that is in the healthy range?

All I would need is your weight,height, wrist measurement, hip, waist (at naval) measurement.
    I would be able to tell you what your BF percentage is which is a far better indicator of health than the BMI index which takes no account of the composition of the person.

That will be the day! when 65 year olds start posting their stats on social web sites!!! LOLLLLLL!

• RoxieDawn
    Options

Hi

That will be the day! when 65 year olds start posting their stats on social web sites!!! LOLLLLLL!

axp8h9srwfgf.png

• Gamliela
    Options
    Chigurl28 wrote: »
    Hi,
    based on my targeted period + potential weight loss to be achieved, I am on 1280 calories/day. I have only had double that calorie intake once when I visited both kfc n McDonald's. I want to continue it for a very long time, to the point where I'm acclamatised to eating only when I need to n wisely too.
    Low calorie intake should be done with some protein, fruits and veges as part of the day's menu. You could never go wrong nutrition-wise.
    I must confess I started with the Cambridge weight plan where I was on 810kcals/day. So this is me taking my time now yet staying on track...hopefully.
    P.S: with the CWP, lost 6kg in 3weeks!

OK great for posting this! Another vote for " yes! I am willing to do less than 2000 a day to keep my weight down."

Its really becoming clear that a lot, maybe MOST of us MPF'ers are willing to keep restricting calories under 2000 a day, isnt it?

Again, it's not RESTRICTING if that is how much energy is needed to MAINTAIN a certain weight. You can't teach your body to absorb more calories. You can just be more active or burn a handful more calories with muscle that you have added, it's not like we've CHOSEN to follow the LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS.

People quite often get their TDEE wrong, either way.

When you've meticulously weighed everything,got your average weekly weight and measurements, and stabilised for a good few weeks, you can say that you've found your set point. Mine is 1750 without exercise, a bit higher than the good calculators sedentary numbers for my size, age and weight coz I am active outside my exercise too. I then add my exercise calories and eat em all up! I quite often go into the mid 2000s, but I am still always a bit hungry. I was always a bit hungry when I was 5 stone higher too. That is maintenance unfortunately. Getting pretty darn hungry before meals.

My dictionary says restrict is the same as reduce. Am I still not getting these words right?

I thought natural setpoint was what was reached when a person eats to their appetite.

Finally I get to know how much you eat! I wish you werent still hungry. Sometimes I am hungry for more than 2300 myself, and I just go ahead and eat more. Usually next day I will be a bit under, so its no bother. I am at my natural set point as nearly as I can tell, as I have described above. Although I havemore days where I don't really feel like eating 2300 than ones were I am hungry enough to eat over 2300!

I want to thank you for your offer to do my body fat levels. You are a fitness trwiner maybe?
    or you ar a generous person. Nice. :-)
  • Gamliela
    Options

Thank you Laura ! I think? :smiley:

• Gamliela
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of losing weight if they weren't intending to maintain it?? What an odd, odd thread.

Yes, it is strange. When I did the my great diet to lose weight I actually was so naiff that I thought once the weight came off I could just go back to eating whatever I used to do and I would stay smaller! :blush:

odd threads abound!

• RoxieDawn
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of losing weight if they weren't intending to maintain it?? What an odd, odd thread.

Yes, it is strange. When I did the my great diet to lose weight I actually was so naiff that I thought once the weight came off I could just go back to eating whatever I used to do and I would stay smaller! :blush:

odd threads abound!

Gets stranger by the minute or at least every time the OP replies. Trolling going here!!!