WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Margaret – you did give me more than I asked for, but just because you read my mind on all the questions I would have asked!!! Thanks !

Joyce – it was fun to see his face; as I gave a 16 year old boy roses and he tried to be nice, until he realized they were bacon and was in love!

Sylvia – this joke “My wife asked for the broom...

And I said, "Why? Are you going somewhere?" Reminded me of my dad; my folks got married on Halloween (really honestly they did) and my dad always said she came down the isle on a broomstick.

Selena – your hummies really sit on your hand? Cool!

Lesley - So glad Mildred beagle is in your yard as well as your heart; and am glad your friend Betty is right there, ask her to give you the hug we are virtually sending to you.

Sue – I was super impressed that you were able to hold a 100 lb potato bag! LOLOL

I read everyone post, but did not make extensive notes… newbies welcome. On Monday I saw my nephew and delivered the roses we went off to the Mystery Spot, and then to lunch, then he asked if he could come home with me.. so of course that is what we did!! So fun  we went and saw Wedding Ringer – such a funny funny film; a bit off color in spots, but I laughed and laughed – I would recommend renting it when it comes out…NOTHING is worth the $13 each to see a movie…but he wanted to go. See ya tomorrow.
    Feb. goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Leslie, I don't know if you all get the big dog show they are having right now but a beagle won best in show. I think a lot of people were surprised. I think it was because he had a beagle angel with him.

I think I might actually have to cook an evening meal this week! Yep, for those of you that don't know me, my husband has no will power at all and if I cook a meal, he makes sure there are no left overs and he really over eats. I have tried making single serving meals, like 2 pork chops but it is the sides that go with it that he eats to much of. He always wants mashed potatoes and gravy with pork chops. Well you can't make a single serving of gravy. I don't eat gravy at all. And he has no will power of what time to eat. If he smells it cooking he wants it then. If I wait until 6 to cook it, he is really mad. All the places we go to have their menus on line and in the data base here. But we are going to get more snow but the bad part is going to be the temps. The wind chill may get to close to -30. Yep, that's bone chilling. Poor thing, this may be one week that he won't get any Karaoke in.

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    morning kids,]
    sorry didnt check in last night because it was late when I got home and went straight to bed.. had a cuppa and am dressed am going grocery shopping early..then home put it away and then go to work at 1 pm..
    will check in later.
    Lesley~ just like Joyce said I think Mildred Beagle helped the Beagle win best in show :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Phew! Done my 600 calories exercise. :drinker: A bit slow, but I got throught it. :bigsmile:
    For the newbies - I do 540 cals on my three machines in the spare bedroom - 265 on the rower, 135 on the elliptical and 136 on the recumbent bike. Then I do 20 mins strength training on a yoga mat in our bedroom. MFP gives me 64 cals for that under Cardio - strength training. I do a mixture of weights (dumbbells), floor exercises like Pilates and Yoga, and balance exercises. Also knee strengthening for my dodgy knee. While I am on the machines I do face exercises and when I am lying down reading I do pelvic floor and foot exercises.
    - All seems to fit in quite well. :happy:

My bedroom TV seems to have bust while we were away. It was only a cheap thing and 8 years old, so will replace it asap. I do my strength while looking at fave daytime stuff like property programmes.

Promise tomorrow I will start taking notes again so can comment on a few of you. :love:

My butler has just brought me my morning coffee. :heart: Then, on with the laundry!

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • thlavallee1
    thlavallee1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a new job today. Very different from my old job. It's a completely different field with much longer hours and commute. I'm not sure if this will help me stay on track or make it more difficult. I guess we'll see. :)

My February goals:

1. Log everything I eat every day
    2. Exercise 4 times a week
    3. Drink less coffee (with less sugar)
    4. Eat a salad every day
    5. Eliminate as much meat as possible from my diet (for medical reasons not a philosophical statement)

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]75698249.png[/url]
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

It's 19 below zero here with a wind chill - 30 degrees to minus 40 degrees and not all of our schools are cancelled. I'm going to visit my dd today and spend the night. We get our hair done together. She lives down by the city which is a three hour trip. I will go to my d m tomorrow for a visit as well. I will get my exercise done today and tomorrow will be my day off instead of sunday.

Everyone have a great day!

Mary from Minnesota
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Very cold here today and the rest of the week. We have a rental house and I just hope the pipes don't freeze. The house is 39 yrs old and when we first moved in it was brand new. The second winter there was awfully cold weather and we had broken pipes that had to be replaced.

I am having terrible time with my body thermostat. I don't think it's hot flashes as I had everything taken out when I was 39. Anyway, I am either freezing or burning up. At night constantly going from under the covers to top of covers (even under a moving fan). The doctors do not want me to take hormones as they lead to other health problems. Any suggestions?

Carol in GA
  • Socialwacker
    Socialwacker Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I am back from our Caribbean cruise and I am thrilled to say I am down 1lb!! Hit the gym everyday and ate really well with a few treats and some wine to boot! So very proud of myself and its very powerful to know that it can be done! I never felt deprived or isolated. Met some great people in the gym! If I can do this we all can.

Leslie: I am so sorry to hear about Mildred beagle. As a former beagle owner/lover my heart goes out to you. I know too well the feelings you are having right now. My Max was 16yrs old when he left us in 2006. Big hugs - she will always be in the garden with you! I too watched the 15" win best in show the other night. Lots of great coaches up there helping!! xo

Back to reality today! Had a nice relaxed morning, time to head to the basement and the treadmill. Have a great day everyone!
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ! ! !

Sylvia - The Humane Society in Winona MN does extensive screening also. I suppose they heard rumor once, and created their rule about black animals near Halloween. It's sad when a few bad people can ruin the good everyone else is doing. DD and I volunteered there a few years while she was in H.S. Suddenly, DH is terribly allergic, so no animals for us anymore. Our most recent were a few ferrets; they were fun.

Michele NC - I take Plaquenil and Alleve for my RA. My Rheumatologist feels it is working as well as anything else would at this point. Plus, since I'm working in a Health Clinic, a biologic is not a good idea at this time. I just try to stay away from my "trigger foods", and try to keep moving. I am not afraid of shots, so cortisone is always an option. I also work with 2 personal trainers and 2 Physical Therapists, so free advice comes my way often. Thank goodness for the nice people where I work. :)

Mary in MN - You can keep that cold stuff. We are expecting it later today. It is currently 3 with little wind, but the snow from last night is like walking or driving on polished hardwood in socks; very slippery. If the cold does arrive, I suppose schools will be closed by us, too. I wore a hat to work today.

The MetroMilwaukee Youth bowling tournament results are posted and DS should have won some good scholarship money. His Team finished 9th (Div 2), for Singles he is 2nd (scratch), and for Doubles he & his partner are 1st place (Div 1). Two more big Scholarship Tournaments; this weekend and March 8, then focus more on baseball and less on bowling until Nationals in July.

DD got past her struggles at her job, and is Third Shift this week. That must be hard when still in college, too. She said she is still exercising, so I will order and ship her the FitBit next week.

Time to get back to work.
    Hugs to Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

10 below here. Usually get this weather in January not February.

Love the idea that Mildred beagle gave the beagle's an advantage for best in show.

Kim I am now also drinking unsweetened cranberry juice mixed with my Kombucha. It is supposed to be good for bacterial infections. It costs about what a bottle of wine would cost and I figure it is good for me anyway. I mix it with the Kombucha because it is too tart for me without being added to something else. It is also supposed to be good for bladder infections. The ocean spray version has too much sugar.

2015 word: Strength

Just because I see the hook does not mean I have to bite.

Have a wonderful day friends.

:smile:

:heart: MNMargaret
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody! It's another cold day here, but sunny. Hopefully all the left-over icy patches will melt today. Yesterday afternoon we had the most BEAUTIFUL snow! Lots of huge fat flakes that just floated down. It only lasted about an hour. They didn't stick though, so no shoveling.

At some point last night, for some unknown reason, I tried to sit up in bed using only my tummy muscles. Big mistake. It hurt so bad I couldn't get back to sleep. But now it's all better again. I took the kids to school and then stopped at WalMart to buy a sympathy card for my friend, and browsed around a little. I found some canned Hormel chicken breast with no salt added, and no nitrates or nitrites. The whole 5 ounce can is about 112 calories. So lunch today will be chicken, swiss cheese and an apple. I had to buy a can opener though, since I didn't have one and it's not a pop-top can. We will see if it's edible.

I really enjoyed watching the dog show last night. (I especially loved the car commercials) There are so many different breeds. It's amazing. When the beagle won I was thinking "Yay, Mildred!". I do love the fancy dogs, but more than anything love a dog that looks like a dog. Beagles really do that. I really wish they would have mixed breed dog shows. When they start doing that, more people would adopt from shelters. Mixed breeds have such variety. Every one is like it's own little category. Spot would be Best In Breed for the Big Eared, Spotted Dogs with Pointy Noses category. Bruno would win for best Floppy Eared, Short Nosed, Tiger Brindle Dog. Molly is purebred, so she would have a tougher time in her category. There are way too many whippets. But she could win for Best Couch Hog.

Well, I have drafting to do, so I'd better get busy. I hope you are all having a great day.

Sylvia

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

While stitching a cut on the hand of a 75-year-old farmer, the doctor struck up a conversation with the old man.

Eventually the topic got around to politicians and their role as our leaders.

The old farmer said, "Well, as I see it, most politicians are 'Post Tortoises'."

Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a 'post tortoise' was.

The old farmer said, "When you're driving down a country road and you come across a fence post with a tortoise balanced on top, that's a post tortoise."

The old farmer saw the puzzled look on the doctor's face so he continued to explain.

"You know he didn't get up there by himself, he doesn't belong up there, he doesn't know what to do while he's up there, he's elevated beyond his ability to function, and you just wonder what kind of idiot put him up there to begin with."

:D
  • SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!

I mentioned my commitment to a type of exercise called 'Classical Stretch', developed by a former ballerina, Miranda Esmonde-White. I think she's around 64 yrs. old and I just found out she's a breast cancer survivor and has also developed some rehabilitation type exercises for post-surgery. Thought I'd include a couple of links here for you to take a peek at if you're interested. (And no, I have never met her and am not related to her :)

http://breastcancerrehabilitation.com/watchthevideo.html (This video clip is of her... I'll never look like a ballerina, but it's pretty cool to see my flat belly when I'm still 22 lbs over my goal and I have never been blessed with a naturally flat belly.)

http://classicalstretch.com/ (main website)

I get to DVR her workouts on my TV, but need to order her DVDs for when I travel. The last couple of times I've been out of the country, the most important thing on my mind was how I was going to maintain all that I've gained from her short (approx. 23 min) workouts.

I like that's it's no impact and can still make such a huge difference in my posture and my shape. I hope this might be the answer for some of you, too.

Sylvia Post tortoise.... bahahhaha!!

Have a successful day!!
    Selena
    Utah
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Shelleyit52 from MT: Welcome! The consensus around here is to avoid dropping below 1200 calories. It is the minimum intake for an adult. I hope you’re feeling well and have enough energy.

Pipcd34: Your exercise levels are inspiring.

Heather: Welcome home! Rest well.

Sharon in Alberta: Sending good thoughts to your family for the upcoming court date. I hope your son gets the support that he needs from the legal system.

Michele: Thanks for your good wishes for my knee. It felt better yesterday and has started off okay today. I’ll try to be mindful during my gym classes today.

Kim: I would love to have seen your nephew’s expression s as he spotted roses and then realized they were bacon. I’m counting my blessings regarding movie theaters. Our local theater is a short walk away, and has amazing rates. We saw the Hobbit, part 3 in 3D for $4 each. We did dump some additional $$ into salty and sweet “treats.” Those were senior rates, but regular rates are only a dollar more.

Joyce: Wind chills of -30 are dangerous. I hope you and your family stay safe.

Heather: I’d love to know what exercises you do for your dodgy knee. I’d like to try them for mine.

thlavlee1: Good luck with the new job and long commute. I had a long commute for years and put on a lot of weight. I hope you’ll do better. Avoid Starbucks sweet coffees! I’m sure they added 10 pounds on their own, not to mention my other bad habits.

Mary from MN: Stay warm and safe during your travels.

We had a wonderful day at the beach yesterday and my knee didn’t bother me at all despite a long walk on the sand. I’ll be careful not to over stress it at the gym today.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    morning,,,,
    well went grocery shopping, and did the right kind of grocery shopping.. around the perimeter.., bought salad, yogurt,fruit, frozen veggies, boneless skinless chicken breast.. only thing I bent a little on was graham crackers, so will have those very infrequently..
    made DH dinner and lunch and will take a shower and get ready for work..
  • antoinetteg1957
    antoinetteg1957 Posts: 67 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Fairly new to MyFitnessPal. Have 42 consecutive log ins. My goal is to lose 65 pounds and have already lost 12 pounds. I live in Belleview which is central Florida but am originally from Brooklyn, NY.

80354434.png

Good luck to all!!!
  • crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good Morning dear ladies!

I hope all are well and staying warm.

Sylvia: The beagle who won Westminster is a really nice example of the breed. There used to be a Mixed Breed Dog Club of America. I sat on the board of the Oregon club and was Trial char for the Tracking portion of the National Specialty one year and Chief Ring Steward another year. Conformation was a part of the show and it was divided into three heights (rather than body type or coat length). They all went back in the ring for Best in Show. When our club hosted it, both times the judges were all worried that they would not be able to do a good job, but were very pleased with themselves in the end … a well put together dog is easy to spot. When the AKC allowed mixed breed dogs to compete in the performance events (Obedience, rally, and agility – now tracking), the perceived “need” for the Mixed Breed club vanished and we folded our club.

Went for a lovely run this morning. Got up extra early so I could take my time on the run. My goal was to hit 3.73 miles (6K) … when I hit stop I was at 3.70 miles -- rats! Really close, though. I’ll change my route just a bit next time to make sure I’m over goal.

Stepped on the scale before I hit the shower… it is time to adjust the calories to maintenance! I made the huge leap and gave myself back the deficit calories on MFP. We’ll see how it goes for the next month or so.

Looking for the joy in every day, just like my dogs.
    Remember to breathe…

Sally W.
    Oregon

oNgvm8.png

jkBTm8.png

kD1Xm8.png

vatbm8.png

• roserex
    roserex Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    how do I join this group. I have been on MyFitness Pal forever, but since January, I have actively been using this again as well as my fitbit. I am in this for the long term this time and need help with sustaining motivation. I am here in Iowa in the Quad Cities that borders the Mississippi. I work downtown and cannot wait for Spring or at least warmer weather to take walks on my lunch again.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Sunny AND snowing outside my window!

This morning I finished reading the book for an upcoming women's retreat: Choose Joy, Because Happiness Isn't Enough, by Kay Warren, and found it meaningful. Thought provoking in some areas. Generally I have an upbeat, positive outlook on life and don't worry a lot, but several other points in the book really hit home.

Welcome to all the new gals -- it is a fun thread to follow along. I don't post frequently, but try to keep up with reading the posts.

Ash Wednesday today. Our little choir will sing one piece at the service tonight, then choir rehearsal will follow the service. That will be the schedule until Holy Week to accommodate the mid-week Lenten services.

Time to go walk a bit and take care of some chores.

Gail, metro ATL
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Went to dentist. She said dramatic improvement, so procedure was very minimal. Now i just need to keep it up.

Sharon thoughts and prayers for your son in his court case.

Selena sounds like routine is worth looking into.

Katla when knees act up it is a pain. Hope they improve.

Sylvia love the post tortoises joke.

Alison proud of your shopping at the grocery store. Easier to stay on track when you have the right kind of foods.

:heart: MNMargaret