Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• CaptainBrownie
    CaptainBrownie Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was getting on one of those funfair rides and the thing wouldn't fit around me. It was really embarrassing cause everyone was staring and giggling.

If that wasn't bad enough my teacher (who is overweight herself) called me fat in front of the whole class.

My extended family are always teasing me about my weight.

People in general just making fun of me.

Just wanting to be accepted by society really.
  • LifeInAWay
    LifeInAWay Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I got tired of being embarrassed and feeling like crap. I was sick every day. Every time I ate I felt sick because of the quantity of food I was eating. I couldnt breath, I couldnt play soccer with my daughter, I couldnt do anything truly fun. And I realized that I am meant for more. More than just barely getting through the day. More than just paying bills. It's time to truly LIVE.
  • IncredibleShrinkingSandy
    Options
    I was at a point where I was completely unhappy with my lifestyle and the way I looked. I had lost 30 pounds in 2010-11 and kept that weight off but fell slightly into older patterns and began eating like crap again. At my biggest, fast food was my main diet. I ate it 2-3 times a day and my only beverage was soda, every day. After losing the 30 pounds I was able to maintain that since I then ate fast food once a day 3-5 times a week as well as cutting back on soda. I was disgusted and disappointed with myself because I had come so far but stopped before I was even half way there because I couldn't control my cravings. I started thinking about people I knew as well as strangers who had been successful in losing weight and thought to myself that if they can, why can't I? At the end of August of last year I went to a birthday party for a family member as well as her roommate since they have birthdays only a day apart. The roommate was once over 300 pounds and had lost about 125-150 pounds. She had weight loss surgery but still, she lost and is obviously not planning on ever going back. There also happened to be another guest at this same party (that I don't like much) who was on a weight loss journey as well. To me, she didn't look like she had lost anything and was basically just crash dieting for an event. I felt like the way she was doing it right and that she would probably end up gaining the weight back after the event anyway. I knew I didn't want that to be me. Then, after seeing a group photo from the bday party and noticing that out of about 10 people in the picture, (which contained the two previously mentioned people above), I was the second biggest person in the picture, I knew I had to do something about it. Now, here I am 5 1/2 months later, 28 pounds lighter and counting! :smiley:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    On another vacation where I spent part of it watching the husband do something I was too big to do I had the realization that my weight was starting to interfere with my life. That was when I knew I needed to do something seriously and not just think or talk about it. 164 off so far with just 60 more to goal and the last vacation? We went to the Grand Canyon and I did everything the husband did including hiking the entire portion of the South Rim that's within the National Park.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I saw the face of this tremendously overweight woman. In my mirror.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've lost weight three times in my life (about 10 years apart). Always threshold moments usually involving a lousy picture, or a terrible fitting pair of pants.
    It is pure vanity and hard evidence like that can hit you like a ton of bricks.
  • aringdingdong
    aringdingdong Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Clothes became XXL instead of XL. X did not mark the spot, its just made me miserable.
  • pattykaye33
    pattykaye33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I went to the Dr. office after about 3 years of not going and they had me step on the scale. I did not like what I saw. So here I am.
  • msoley2007
    msoley2007 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    dougl004 wrote: »
    My story is a little funny. I was sitting in my chilly office with a small jacket on. I leaned back to yawn and a button from my jacket popped off and flew accross the room. That was my AH HA moment. What was yours?

I felt like I just woke up and was 7 stone over weight I want to be healthy I want to be here for my kids and I want to be sexy again I no its going to take a long time but I will get there
  • tabby1249
    tabby1249 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 65 years old and knew that the weight loss becomes more difficult as you age, so it was now or never. I am retired and had begun to feel very depressed and out of control. Something had to give so I made up my mind to get serious about weight loss. Just using what I knew about healthy eating, I started watching my weight, but I wasn't recording my food or exercise. It was my daughter who put me on to MFP.

Growing up I was always thin, but after the second baby, I was just too absorbed with kids, job, an aging mother and other responsibilities to pay to much attention to my weight. I weighed 135 at my wedding, 155 after the first baby and 180 after the second baby. Over time my weight ballooned to an all time high of 235--100 pounds exactly from my wedding day. I've given myself one year to lose 52 pounds. I still be clinically overweight at 175pounds, but will be out of the obese category. My BMI is already down from 35 to 33 and at my recent doctor's visit, my BP and cholesterol levels had shown improvement, so I'm headed in the right direction.

It's not like I haven't tried to lose weight, but I just couldn't stick with it. I lost 18 pounds on Weight Watchers about a year or so ago, but for some reason the points system just didn't click with me. Things I thought were low points were surprisingly, distressingly high and vice versa. Calories in/calories out is the only thing that makes sense to me. MFP (with its terrific foods database and mobile apps) and my Fitbit are two tools that I am using on this journey and for the first time I feel like I am really in control. The amount of feedback I get from these two tools keep me honest and allow me to make adjustments throughout the day.

I've been working at this since January 5th and am down 10.5 pounds. I guess age has helped with holding off with the typical impatience I always felt when trying to diet. As a matter of fact I don't even think of this like a diet. Instead it is a lifestyle change: I'm eating better, walking more and keeping tabs on my progress.
  • LauraHS1988
    LauraHS1988 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Seeing all of my friends pregnant and having babies and me struggling for over a year now trying to achieve the same thing with no results. Realizing I have a much better chance of fertility treatments working with a BMI around 25 or below. I started at a BMI of 31 on December 28th...today I hit a BMI of 28.9
  • keithb0522
    keithb0522 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs years ago went from 250 to 190. After being 190 for 10 years I started to gain weight again. Just lazy I think. I am 40 now..lol

But now I am 215 and the extra weight just plan hurts, short of breath. Time to get active again I don't feel like dying yet. And everyday as I move in pain and gasp for air I know what it's time for. Monday was my start day -6lbs so far. I don't track much on her as it always says im starving and won't show me my 5week weight. It was always wrong in the past. I blow past what it says way before 5 weeks. Just was a fun feature.
  • dcrain02
    dcrain02 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Watching my husband be so diligent about eating heart healthy so he could be there for us for the long haul has been inspiring. He is not overweight - in fact has no weight to lose whatsoever. He just decided to make the change. If he can make that change for us then he and my kids deserve the same amount of dedication from me. That's what brought me to this.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My doctor used the words "prediabetic" and I am only in my fifties. It's in my family but I didn't think I'd hit it until my 60s or 70s. So I'm avoiding the dreaded diagnosis.
  • Fugley01
    Fugley01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I decided to lose weight one day when getting ready to take a shower. I looked in the mirror and thought to myself, "my boobs are almost as big as my wife's" then I looked down and realized I hadn't seen my feet or my Willy in a while.
    Since then I've been going to the gym 3x/week doing free weights. I'm down 20lbs since November and I'm gaining some muscle. I'm also type 2 diabetic and not on meds and don't ever want to be. My cholesterol has been coming down and my BP is 121/80.
    I'm 50yrs old and 5'6"tall, BMI OF 30 obese (I hate that term) my ideal weight should be around 155-165 according to my Dr.
    I'm just learning to use MFP, and it gets easier to use every day. I'm almost half way to my goal and don't plan on stopping.
  • brunette824
    brunette824 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've always been comfortable with my overweight body especially since I was very healthy stat-wise (besides weight obviously) according to my doctor's standards. With my new job I started drinking sugary drinks instead of water (I'm a barista), put on some weight, and now can't fit into the same pants I've been wearing for the past 5 years. So I began again and I figured I'd start small and keep going from there until I'm comfortable again.
  • David2788
    David2788 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just got to the point where enough was enough. I had friends who had lost weight and seemed happier and healthier. I just always accepted that I was stocky and that was that. But I began to think if these people can loose weight and have their own success stories then I am more than capable as well.My wife is also trying to loose weight so it is a motivation for us both.
  • uwaseem_
    uwaseem_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got tired of looking at the fat on my body and wanted to not feel self conscious when people try to pick me up. Also, a flat stomach is something I haven't experienced since I was little and I'd like that again very much :)