jo_escolano Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

Even if you needed to strengthen your core (like many of us do after having babies) I still wouldn't suggest crunches (or planks). There are much more effective ways.

I'd like to ask you what are the more effective ways... In another reply you said you felt it most in front squat, is there any other ones? I have a weak core (I walked in anterior pelvic posture for years) and often get back pain because of it...

@mom3over40 the RKC plank is one of the most effective ways to strengthen your core. I know that I said I wouldn't suggest planks, but this is not the plank everyone does. Ab wheel/ab roll outs are another one that really engages the entire core. The other one that I suggest is Landmine 180's since it requires significant stabilization.
  • miriam_hallak
    miriam_hallak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here goes!
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »

Even if you needed to strengthen your core (like many of us do after having babies) I still wouldn't suggest crunches (or planks). There are much more effective ways.

I'd like to ask you what are the more effective ways... In another reply you said you felt it most in front squat, is there any other ones? I have a weak core (I walked in anterior pelvic posture for years) and often get back pain because of it...

@mom3over40 the RKC plank is one of the most effective ways to strengthen your core. I know that I said I wouldn't suggest planks, but this is not the plank everyone does. Ab wheel/ab roll outs are another one that really engages the entire core. The other one that I suggest is Landmine 180's since it requires significant stabilization.

Thanks a bunch! Just googled them. With those abs that you got've, I must try these!
  • Icandoit66
    Icandoit66 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Geekyfatgirl Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi! I thought I'd read into this because I REALLY Want to lose body fat. I looked into the TDEE-20% calculator provided in the link and it seemed to calculate a deficit for me that would be my food intake. Though it told me with this method I would lose 10lbs in 91 weeks going by this. That just seems like a REALLY long time to lose 10 lbs lol. Is there something I did wrong or, is that really what results will look like? I'm not saying I want to lose 10 lbs over night, but by November really seems to be kind of long.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    dsieda wrote: »
    Hi! I thought I'd read into this because I REALLY Want to lose body fat. I looked into the TDEE-20% calculator provided in the link and it seemed to calculate a deficit for me that would be my food intake. Though it told me with this method I would lose 10lbs in 91 weeks going by this. That just seems like a REALLY long time to lose 10 lbs lol. Is there something I did wrong or, is that really what results will look like? I'm not saying I want to lose 10 lbs over night, but by November really seems to be kind of long.

@dsieda The program defaults to recomposition. You would need to change it to fat loss. You can also use iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • megn529
    megn529 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions I was hoping you could help me with. I'm currently about 12 lbs. from my goal weight. I'm doing T25 which has little resistance/strength training. Although I'm losing, I'm feeling flabby. Should I continue to lose until I reach my goal and then begin to lift, or start lifting now? Is it okay to lift while in a deficit? Should I be lifting heavy with low reps or lighter with more reps? Forgive all the questions, this is all new to me. Thanks in advance!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    megn529 wrote: »
    I have a few questions I was hoping you could help me with. I'm currently about 12 lbs. from my goal weight. I'm doing T25 which has little resistance/strength training. Although I'm losing, I'm feeling flabby. Should I continue to lose until I reach my goal and then begin to lift, or start lifting now? Is it okay to lift while in a deficit? Should I be lifting heavy with low reps or lighter with more reps? Forgive all the questions, this is all new to me. Thanks in advance!

@megn529 It's not just okay to lift in a defict, you should lift in a deficit. It helps you retain your muscle so that in the end you'll have better body composition. I suggest looking into the lifting programs that are out there and picking something that you think you can do. New Rules of Lifting is one program many beginners like. Stronglifts is another. There are also many free ones on Bodybuilding.com.
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    According to the web my tdee is 1,762 so when I take away 20% it's 1,409 have I done this right?? Just a bit worried as it's high cals a day than mfp suggests :\
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    SUCCESS STORY: I lost 24 inches off my waist with the 'Neverending Slimming Belt'

Oh, no, wait.......I followed the advice in this post and lost 3 inches off my waist! Thanks OP!!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    According to the web my tdee is 1,762 so when I take away 20% it's 1,409 have I done this right?? Just a bit worried as it's high cals a day than mfp suggests :\

@chezzabelle82 With this method you don't add exercise calories because they are already included. That's the difference in the two methods. MFP may suggest 1,200, but they are counting on you eating back your exercise calories. 1,762 would be what you maintain weight at, so you will lose weight eating 1,400.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    SUCCESS STORY: I lost 24 inches off my waist with the 'Neverending Slimming Belt'

Oh, no, wait.......I followed the advice in this post and lost 3 inches off my waist! Thanks OP!!

@jonsmithkidd hahaha glad this advice worked well for you! Not as easy as a slimming belt, but at least it works ;)
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

@chezzabelle82 With this method you don't add exercise calories because they are already included. That's the difference in the two methods. MFP may suggest 1,200, but they are counting on you eating back your exercise calories. 1,762 would be what you maintain weight at, so you will lose weight eating 1,400.

Ok cool, I won't back exercise cals then :# thank you :)
  • emilysplate
    Options
    Is stronglifts 5x5 a good program to do while eating in a deficit to lose fat? I know full-body compound lifts are supposed to be more bang for your buck than isolation exercises. If i eat at tdee minus 20%, and lift 5x5 3x week followed by 20 min low intensity cardio ( incline walking), and 2x week HIIT cardio (on/off sprints) and then the 6th day being juts some low intensity cardio for 30-60 mins ( mostly just to stay active, nothing too crazy). I would take the 7th day off as a rest day. This is my new revised plan after doing more research, how does this sound? Also, i am about 27% bf and want to lose about 20 pounds, should i be aiming to lose .5 lb or 1lb a week?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Is stronglifts 5x5 a good program to do while eating in a deficit to lose fat? I know full-body compound lifts are supposed to be more bang for your buck than isolation exercises. If i eat at tdee minus 20%, and lift 5x5 3x week followed by 20 min low intensity cardio ( incline walking), and 2x week HIIT cardio (on/off sprints) and then the 6th day being juts some low intensity cardio for 30-60 mins ( mostly just to stay active, nothing too crazy). I would take the 7th day off as a rest day. This is my new revised plan after doing more research, how does this sound? Also, i am about 27% bf and want to lose about 20 pounds, should i be aiming to lose .5 lb or 1lb a week?

@emilysplate Stronglifts 5x5 is a great program for most people in a deficit or surplus. Give it a few months and see how you enjoy it.

You don't really need all the cardio (more specifically you don't need the post lifting cardio) unless you really want to do it. You may find as the 5x5 program progresses that you won't have the energy left to do any sort of cardio (even lose intensity) after you lift.

You aren't really aiming for .5 lb or 1lb per week for weight loss. The TDEE-20% method is setting your deficit. Most people lose somewhere between .5 and 1 pound per week on this method. It's really just a way to ensure you are fueling your body adequately to lose mostly fat instead of worrying about exactly how many pounds you are losing.
  • LillyLemekoans
    LillyLemekoans Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Most encouraging
  • _Prabh_Sandhu
    _Prabh_Sandhu Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a 48 year old guy who is battling the bulge, I would love to have a flat abdomen, so that I can flaunt it. I am willing to work really hard to get it. I would love it if you could give me some tips to move in that direction...
  • athenamarybrown
    athenamarybrown Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @sandhu_3007‌ exercise more than your calorie intake. Cardio workouts are best for this. Drink lots of water. You can't spot lose so it's going to require an all over body work out. Weights help tone and begin to use your core muscle the heavier the weight. Good luck, I hope this helps.
  • memz2222
    Options
    I'm only 20 since I started gym in 6 months I lost 14kg more to come love fitness and eating clean.