WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, ladies. Today I learned that a young woman who graduated with my DD from h.s. in 2010 (they were in orchestra together and both in the IB program) has the job of handing the Oscars to the presenters. Honestly, I barely remember her, but I'll be watching for her!!! She won the job with a small film she made.

On a sad note, an old walking buddy who went on to be the first lady of Va. got handed a one yr. and a day sentence. The news said it has to be more than a year to be shortened for good behavior. She is sooooooo not like the person portrayed in the media. I remember her fondly and wish her well.

Cynthia.......Good for you for making people aware of what is going on........sometimes anger serves a good purpose to motivate us. Here's a few more ((((((((hugs))))))).

CarolNC.........Hope your day is going better and you are feeling stronger..

Alison.........I vote for a curtain; with or w/o a curved rod. The liners are easily washed and sanitized and decor change is a snap.

Wendy........Welcome; you've certainly had a time of it! Congrats on the new guy!!!

Sylvia.........Loved today's jokes. Glad you got out to a concert and that you are healing well. I would have had that button open all the time, lol.

jane.........I do have a friend with a DD who had g.b. surg. in her early 20's but never heard of it in a teen...........good luck to her.

Hunger is not an emergency.
    Determined.
    yanniejannie

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello from the frozen Mid South -

Snowing again this afternoon. It is supposed to turn to sleet and collect up to 2 inches of snow/ice tonight, then warm (44 degree heat wave) and rain. Frigid again Sunday night. I hope I don't miss my TOPS weigh in and study group again on Monday. One good thing about the weather - it has kept hubby home and we have had some time together. Went shopping and out to lunch before the snow started. Of course no work = $$$. Conditions are much worse further north where he works. Hope this all ends soon.

Judy - harps are so majestic. How long have you been playing?
    Selena - YEAH! Your efforts reunited forever friends. I think angel Mildred Beagle might have helped some, too. A similar thing happened to a friend of mine when she had lost her pup. The vet recognized him. What are the chances of that when you live in a huge metro area?
    Sally - Congrats to be at maintenance!
    Sue and Sylvia - Keep the jokes coming!
    Cynthia, Carol, and new Wendy - sending you (((((HUGS)))))
    Joyce - I hope your sons are better soon. Hard on mamas when the boys aren't well.
    Socialwacker - Snowshoes? FUN! We need ice skates to get to our cars in Middle TN.
    Barbie - Thank you for sharing those thoughts about devotion. Gives me something to ponder
    Pip - your Vegas trip sounds fun. So smart to be planning your meals ahead. That's what it takes.
    Terri - Happy anniversary! Enjoy your dinner out.
    Katla - This truly is a magic group and I am doing better on this journey because of all of you.
    Antoinette - I am also an Antoinette! I use that name for "official" stuff. I don't run in to many with our name. Do you have a nickname? Here's a funny - the first time I used that name was when I went away to college in 1967. I was so aggravated when some of my paperwork kept showing my name misspelled. I went to the registrar's office to see why they were spelling Antoinette wrong. Was I embarrassed when I discovered I had misspelled it when I put in my registration papers!
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    A little of my post got cut off -

Heather - proud of you for that 1 lb loss and pantry cleaning!
    Michele - I envy you being in Florida today! Have fun - you deserve it!
    NEW LADIES - welcome!

So sorry to hear some of you are struggling much more than we are with this cold and ice. Stay safe and warm - hugs and prayers for all of you.

Toni in Tennessee
    Gratitude for the Past - Strength for the Present - Faith for the Future
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    :0)
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just a quick pop in before getting some dinner...Thanks to all who have encouraged me! The situation seems to be resolved, at least on the surface. The pastor called the person who wanted to do the no-no donation and he seems to be okay with it. I hope that's all there is to it!

Jane - I had my gallbladder out when I was 17. At that time, I was the youngest in the state to ever have the surgery. I have heard of younger children who have had the surgery and my own daughter was a junior in college when she had hers removed. Lots of difference in our surgical scars!!

I saw my therapist today and she said that the screw-up with my medication probably led to a lot of the physical ailments I've had in addition to the emotional ones. She said it would probably take another week or more before I felt "normal" again.

I felt better today and was planning to take a walk in the park but my daughter called and wanted to come over. Her best friend from high school is visiting (for the first time since they were in school) and she brought Steph over so I could visit with her a bit, too. It was really good to see her! And, I am one of like 5 people on earth that she will hug!! For those of you who are new, my daughter went to boarding school in Virginia, so she doesn't have schoolmates around town unless she goes back to elementary and middle school days. Maybe I can squeeze in a walk in the morning before it gets icky again.

Well, I guess I'd better get some dinner in me before the raging hungries take over and entice me to eat something I shouldn't. I also have some work to accomplish tonight!

Prayers to those who are struggling and high fives to those with successes!

Carol in NC
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Saturday and back to training again. 2 mile walk and Jeannettes' Cardio kick-boxing = 629, Food = 1908.
    I have grieved and cried long enough. We put a small flowering bush and pot rabbit on Mildred's grave( she loved chasing rabbits) and I can go and talk to her there, YES I know she is not there but it does help me.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Can't say too much, I'm off to the Eelpout festival in Walker. Tomorrow is my DH grandson basketball tournament. An all day event. Then Sunday Church and after a memorial service for my DH ex-wife husband that passed on New Years Eve.

Everyone have a great night!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    DH and I are just back from going for mexican food for dinner. Had a chicken enchilada verdes and about half of each of the beans and rice, then saved the rest for tomorrow's or Sunday's lunch (or DH will eat :)). Tasty and warming on a cold night! It started snowing while we were in the restaurant -- really just a dusting, but fun to see since it is so unusual. There may be ice in the morning, but then it is supposed to be a high in the 50's so it will all be gone soon.

Enjoyed seeing all the Cottage Farms plants they were showing on QVC this afternoon. Didn't buy a thing, but saw lots of pretty flowers~ Tempted by their tree hydrangea....

When it is closer to real spring I need to clean out a couple of beds that have bunches of crabgrass/bermuda, etc, creeping in. The thing that really kept me from buying those plants today is knowing I have a big credit at a local nursery from things that died in last winter's cold. When the time comes I'll go there for new plants in the weeded areas. I also promised a neighbor some splits off of my irises. My favorite flower!

Stay warm, ladies!

Gail, metro ATL
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    smiley-cool05.gif This has been another super day. I am always nervous on Friday morning before teaching my line dance class and then I get there and have a fabulous time. Everyone is enthusiastic and supportive and they don't care if I mess up. I love to dance and it's more fun to dance with others. I fixed my favorite egg and veggie lunch and then spent the afternoon doing what I want which included riding the exercise bike and watching TV and walking the dogs.

smiley-happy110.gif Thank you all for being part of my life. You make it so much better.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif21,000 steps today--three hours of dog walking, an hour on the exercise bike, and an awesome line dance class
    194904olsgis3xqe.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I joined MFP on Jan 23, 2015. I'm 56 and live in Edmonton, Alberta. I'm glad I stumbled onto this post as this appears to be a very active and supportive group of ladies. I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

Carey
    Edmonton, AB
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    stats for the day: didn't have it in me today:
    bike ride hm 2 gym- 12.49min, 13.8amph, 3miles = 104cal

expresso challenging bike trail- wicked workout- 40.58min, 104aw, 11.6amph, 7.87miles = 367cal

bike ride gym 2 train station- 6.44min 12.7amph 1.4miles = 91cal

bike ride train station 2 hm - 17.53min, 8.9amph, 2.7miles = 187cal
    TOTAL cal- 749
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of step today. Before the class I went to Publx (how I can't wait until they come to Hickory!) to get Vince milk and some other things for dinners. After the class went to the Aldi down here to get Vince some corn, and I needed a few other things. Came home then Vince and I went to WalMart.

The race tomorrow starts at 3:30 so I'm guessing that we'll probably be leaving around 10. I brought down Kathy Smiths Peel off the Pounds DVD pilates so I'll probably do that. I will also be doing a lot of walking since the mall is opened on Sat. I know that I won't be doing any formal exercise Sun either since we'll again be leaving for Daytona and we'll get back late at night. We do usually go to Pickadilly Cafeteria after the race and the last few years I've brought vegetables with me. They usually have some sort of broiled chicken or fish and I usually just have water to drink. That's the plan right now.

gailnadenza - welcome! You've come to a great place for motivation

Alison - can you post a pic of you in your new haircut? Would love to see it. Actually, we don't have a door or a curtain right now. Previous houses we've had both and I've liked the curtain better since I can take the curtain and wash it. Even replacing it didn't cost a whole lot.

wendy - welcome! So sorry about your hubby leaving you. That must have been so hard especially since you didn't have any indication. Sounds like you found a great guy

Diana - congrats on the loss. Its in a way good to hear that your temps were so low and you didn't have any burst pipes. I know that's one thing that Vince was concerned about. Sometimes he can be such a worrywort!

Sylvia - I'm sorry you had to go thru such pain. So glad the incision looks better today. If it had been me, I would have been at the concert with my pants open

Got back from exercising and the guys were here and had cut the ceiling in the one bathroom, the president of the condo assoc (he's a great guy) went to the condo above us and flushed the toilet. The water GUSHED down into our bathroom. So until the people above us get the toilet fixed, they aren't going to finish repairing our ceiling. Now, get this, Florida law states that the replacement cost of the vanity is the responsibility of the condo owner, not the person who caused the damage. Even the condo president said "I know, it's lousy, but that's the law". He did say that he was going to talk to the guy who rents the condo above us and he's going to try to get them to pay (or at least partially pay for) for the replacement vanity.

When they fix the ceiling, they'll also patch up where the old thermostat was. Well, they'll have the putty and paint. Compared to the ceiling, this'll be a piece of cake

jb - been thinking of you! Just made some of your low fat cornbread muffins the other day!

jane - i'll be thinking of your daughter on the 13th

Gail - never heard of a tree hydrangia. Sounds really interesting.

cary - welcome! This IS a very supportive group.

After I exercise, I think I'll probably go to Publix since we'll be leaving around 11. I realized tonight that I need more fruits in the condo. Last year I got these FANTASTIC grapefruit, hope they have them again this year.

Michele from NC in FL right now
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I took my DGD to her first piano lesson tonight. She was SO happy, and seemed to do well following directions. She played her little one finger version of Love Me Tender for her teacher and the teacher was impressed. She looked over at me and asked, did grandma teach you that? I said, no, she taught herself that. The teacher is a tiny little Chinese graduate student. She kept saying , you so smart! It was cute. They are using a practice room on campus and a huge grand piano! It puts our little antique upright to shame. So, if her first lesson is any indication, she is off to a great start. Hopefully she will stick with it. I'm going to take our electronic piano up to my gallery and she can come over every day after school to practice.

I have a picture of her when she first sat down at the piano and she had a HUGE smile on her face.

Well, I'm really tired. Going to bed early. Good night everyone.

Sylvia
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Got caught up reading before bed.

Toni.........I hear you on the cold.........we are now 12, expecting low of 9 tonight, but tomorrow a high of 42, however, we'll have that rain too......just entering the western end of the state now.

NCCarol........Glad to hear your day was better!!

Lesley........Be patient with yourself grief has no timetable.

Gail........WOW!!! A high in the 50's???? I'm green with envy.

Michele........Happy you made it to Fl safely; sorry about the water problem! I loved Publix when we lived in SC; wish we had them here, although there is no shortage of food stores, none are quite on par with Publix.

Sylvia........It's wonderful that your DGD had such a positive first lesson!!!

Welcome newbies!!! Come back often!

Off to bed, G'nite all.
    yanniejannie........Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Sylvia – I love your jokes, but more I love your commentary…the categories for the new dog shows… are great!

newbies – welcome and you join by posting

Karen – LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

So I read all the posts but just could not respond to everyone… too tired. I have joined a hiking group and OMG, this week alone I have done 35 miles (Monday- Friday…) my legs and bum are so tired… will see you all tomorrow.

Feb. goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Slipping and sliding outside tonight! I didn't go out but DH had to have his Friday evening Karaoke. I think it's crazy with the forecast like it was but you can't keep an avid Karaoke junkie form going. He has a friend that goes with him and that guy can drink 2 pitchers of beer with no problems so Charlie picks him up. Speaking of Charlie, we were out this evening and he found a $100 bill! We were at Denny's and he told the hostess there to make a note that if anyone called asking if anyone had found some money that we would be there next Friday. They had to know the exact found. We gave no details. The hostess wasn't to keen on it, she said we should just keep it but we didn't tell her how much it was. She thought it was a small amount. To some people, losing $100 would be devastating.

Wendy, so glad you joined us. We are just what you need right now. A good group of girl friends to hold your hand and let you know it will be OK. You were dealt a lousy deal and I don't blame you for being upset.

As far as the shower, I prefer the curtain. I just take the liner and curtain and wash them on a gentle cycle. We have a glass door on the tiny shower in the master bedroom that had a door on it and it was hard to clean in crevices. I see these clear doors on HGTV and there is no way I would want to have that.

Our weather forecast changed and it stayed as per the second prediction. We didn't get any snow at all but we have freezing rain and boy is it slick. Hubbie about slid all the way to the door when he got home.

Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Heather - Losing weight while on holiday is quite an accomplishment. Way to go.

Selena - I am so glad you found Bruiser's family. It is an amazing story.

Carol - Let yourself have fun. It's not going to hurt to go on a date or two....who knows what might happen next?

Wendy - Why can't people communicate? It must have hurt so much to be blind sided like that. I would say that woman doesn't sound like much of a friend. Things are on the upswing for you now.

Terri - I have no will power so I would have to throw away the cookied dough otherwise it would disappear into a body that doesn't need it.

Jane - Why are they waiting so long to do the surgery?

Well, it was up at it early this morning for me. I had to be at the store before 6 a. m. and found that difficult today.
    Last night DS clicked on HER email that was set up on his computer and up comes her affidavit. We shouldn't have read it because it was so full of lies. It was upsetting to say the least and I thought DS was going to wear a groove in my floor. 5 pages and countless lies. Still seething. Apparently she is coming now. What happened to there must be a better way to handle this? That's over because he didn't roll over and give her what she wanted.
    Tomorrow night I am babysitting DGS and DGD while their Mom goes to the Mardi Gras gala with her friend. DSIL will be at the fishing conclave. I am hoping he will take DGS.
    I am not doing a good job of keeping in touch with my friends. Yesterday I had a long phone visit with my DIL in Richmond. She is so worried about her new business venture but I am sure it will take off. Pop UP Weddings. I also talked to my DGS out there about his music that he makes on the computer. I didn't understand half of the details but will be going on Sound Cloud to listen. He did warn me that it wasn't Country. lol
    Praying for a good outcome on the 24th. I am grateful DS has one of the best family lawyers in town.
    Exhausted from all this emotion
    -Sharon in Alberta
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am off to work in a little bit, will have to get a picture with the haircut..
    Well I will talk to the DH and we will be keeping the shower curtain.. easier cleaning,,,
    well Tom took out a loan to get the work done, so we will be getting both the bathroom and kitchen done, but we aren't going crazy.. refacing cabinets, new appliances, new floors in the kitchen and bath, ripping up carpet and restoring hardwood.. etc...
    well I have to go wash my hair, and get ready for work
  • Joanncummings
    Joanncummings Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh me too! I have just joined and have 50 lbs to lose and I need accountability.
    StrawbC wrote: »
    I've 61 more pounds to loose and would love to find an accountability buddy. Everyone says its the best way to keep yourself on track and I've noticed the more and pop on here and read what others are doing and reading how others deal with issues I face such as night time munchies, the more focused I remain. So if anyone's keen to have an accountability buddy let me know and we can support and encourage each other through the tough times and celebrate the successes together!!

I have 30 more to lose! I'm also one who needs accountability. (Tara)

• Joanncummings
    Joanncummings Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Please reply I can be and need a support!