Getting discouraged. Lean bulk or cut? What should I do?

Options

Replies

• va_01
    va_01 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Would it be better if I switched to a more 8x3 etc style that leads to more hypertrophy? After all since I'm bulking my main concern is size not strength. I just want to fill out in my shoulders/arms/chest some more
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    va_01 wrote: »
    Would it be better if I switched to a more 8x3 etc style that leads to more hypertrophy? After all since I'm bulking my main concern is size not strength. I just want to fill out in my shoulders/arms/chest some more

That's the same number of reps essentially

5x5 = 25 reps
    3x8 = 24 reps

Assuming you're working at a higher intensity on the 5x5, you'll have more volume with the 5x5.
  • va_01
    Options
    All my lifts have gone up maybe 10 lbs in that time. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I make sure my form is as perfect as it can be, and I eat in surplus.

I honestly give up. I dont know what else to do.
  • va_01
    Options

5x5 = 25 reps
    3x8 = 24 reps

Assuming you're working at a higher intensity on the 5x5, you'll have more volume with the 5x5.

I see that in the end it all evens out, but does that mean it works the same hypertrophy-wise? I do feel like I begin to wear out mid workout, and I find it hard to train with enough "intensity", but I'm not sure what that even entails.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

5x5 = 25 reps
    3x8 = 24 reps

I see that in the end it all evens out, but does that mean it works the same hypertrophy-wise? I do feel like I begin to wear out mid workout, and I find it hard to train with enough "intensity", but I'm not sure what that even entails.

Are you logging your food our just guessing? Are you logging your works out just guessing? You are right that you are behind the curve but why is the question. If you are running out of gas you may not be eating as much as you think.

Also, the fact that all your exercises are going up about the same weight is not normal progression. You should be putting more on squats and deads than bench and rows.

I can see why you are frustrated but we aren't getting a full picture.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ip7549z2m0kc.jpg

Here's a pic for reference. I have too much bf and my shoulders/arms /chest really need to be built up. Can someone please give me advice as to what to do. I am at the end of my rope

I haven't read the whole thread, and not to pile on, but do you work you legs? You call out how the upper body needs to be built up, but your legs don't appear any more muscular than your upper body. Perhaps a bit more emphasis on compound lower body movements will help overall growth. I saw a few posts where you were questioning progress on bicep and tricep exercises. These are some of the last things you should be concerned about if you want to get big and strong. Think compound upper body work; pull-ups, rows, bench/push-ups, dips, shoulder press, etc.

Good luck.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also, the photo you posted seems kind of like an accidental photo. Weekly (or monthly depending on your preference) progress photos could really help you too. They should be taken in a similar pose with similar lighting to help you see small differences.

Also, are you taking measurements? There can always be minor differences in how tight you pull the tape measure, but you should notice a trend over a period of time.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about working with a personal trainer who has experience in bodybuilding.
  • paul_phish
    paul_phish Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should be more functional orientated. I swim (proper swim in a club) with a couple of strength sessions in the gym perweek with a focus towards improving times and perhaps winning a race one day. I am a lot more focused than when I did gym based fitness with no purpose in sight! My weight has gone up and my body fat % has dropped. I have to stop the body fat loss % now or I will sink!
  • LolBroScience
    Options

5x5 = 25 reps
    3x8 = 24 reps

Intensity as a % of your 1RM.

That's the main difference... it's easier to accumulate volume through higher reps generally speaking. You're working at a lower intensity, need less rest, less chance of injury, less time consuming etc.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    paul_phish wrote: »
    Maybe you should be more functional orientated. I swim (proper swim in a club) with a couple of strength sessions in the gym perweek with a focus towards improving times and perhaps winning a race one day. I am a lot more focused than when I did gym based fitness with no purpose in sight! My weight has gone up and my body fat % has dropped. I have to stop the body fat loss % now or I will sink!

I like this idea, more specifically because you seem to have a lot of confidence and emotional things going on OP. Switching to a more functional approach and shifting your focus from aesthetics to something with more rapid, and positive feedback, may be a good thing.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Not sure if this advice is any good for you, being a guy, but in regards to upper body strength, I didn't really see much progression on a 5x5 style programme either. Switching to Wendlers really helped me out on OHP and bench (my delts are looking smashing, if I say so myself).

It has strength and hypertrophy (main lifts: strength, assistance:hypertrophy). I'd only consider switching once you've stalled out on all your lifts though.

Don't feel down about seeing results from your bulk - you won't really see what's happened until after your cut. I wouldn't give up on it right now, it looks like you could still do with building up and you don't look like you are carrying too much fat ATM. Stick with it for as long as you can stand as there'll be diminishing returns from future bulks.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If I recall correctly, you had a really difficult time sticking to one program because you weren't seeing results, and so you kept modifying things. Have you been sticking with ICF's progression program as well as how to handle deloads and failures?

You started this thread on November 4th. How much weight have you gained since then? You seem to be guessing at your intake and maintenance levels going by what you have said in previous comments. You should be tracking as accurately as possible, and making adjustments if you aren't seeing appropriate increases in weight.
  • va_01
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ip7549z2m0kc.jpg

Here's a pic for reference. I have too much bf and my shoulders/arms /chest really need to be built up. Can someone please give me advice as to what to do. I am at the end of my rope

I haven't read the whole thread, and not to pile on, but do you work you legs? You call out how the upper body needs to be built up, but your legs don't appear any more muscular than your upper body. Perhaps a bit more emphasis on compound lower body movements will help overall growth. I saw a few posts where you were questioning progress on bicep and tricep exercises. These are some of the last things you should be concerned about if you want to get big and strong. Think compound upper body work; pull-ups, rows, bench/push-ups, dips, shoulder press, etc.

Good luck.

I have begun squats/deads which are still pretty weak, but I have been progressing on. (Not slabbing on 10lbs a workout like everyone else seems to be able to do) but still adding progression.
  • va_01
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    All my lifts have gone up maybe 10 lbs in that time. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I make sure my form is as perfect as it can be, and I eat in surplus.

I honestly give up. I dont know what else to do.
    I'm sorry but your lack of ability to get unto specifics that are being asked of you in this thread probably reflect the approach you are taking to your programing. You need to put in more effort.

Sorry but I have been here there and back again with specifics. From freaking out over micro nutrients to the exact form of my tricep press downs, I am EXTREMELY detail oriented in my life, especially in my workouts. Everyone then tels me to just "eat and lift" which drives me crazy because it gives me no parameters

I do track my lifts. I can list out an exact progression week by week tonight so you can see what I have accomplished, if that helps.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    ip7549z2m0kc.jpg

Good luck.

I have begun squats/deads which are still pretty weak, but I have been progressing on. (Not slabbing on 10lbs a workout like everyone else seems to be able to do) but still adding progression.

So you weren't doing them when you started the ICF program?
  • va_01
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, you had a really difficult time sticking to one program because you weren't seeing results, and so you kept modifying things. Have you been sticking with ICF's progression program as well as how to handle deloads and failures?

You started this thread on November 4th. How much weight have you gained since then? You seem to be guessing at your intake and maintenance levels going by what you have said in previous comments. You should be tracking as accurately as possible, and making adjustments if you aren't seeing appropriate increases in weight.

Until about a month ago I was very specific on my intake, etc. a series of personal issues kept me from being super accurate, but I still ate and went to the gym. I was gaining about 1 lb a week. Lifts (ohp, bench, row) all stalled. Squat is still low enough that it's progressinf.

I have dropped down -10-20% when I fail 2x at a certain lift. Only to work back up, and get stuck at the same spot again (example is 175x5x5 for bench). That has happened 2x already.
  • va_01
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ip7549z2m0kc.jpg

Good luck.

So you weren't doing them when you started the ICF program?

I was. I started VERY light. I'm up to about 155 lbs now. I started at maybe 110 lbs. I kept having to go back and adjust form, make sure I was lowering enough, etc.