Options

Replies

• isocom79
    isocom79 Posts: 9
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    it so wrong, I can't even correct it...

So wrong you can't correct it..but why not? If you have the knowledge, experience, or are yourself a nutritionist / doctor...why not correct him?

I am going to go out on a limb and say those who say he is wrong simply can't correct him. Because they don't know any better themselves (i.e. the above quoted poster).

I'd like to know why you should horde ice cream, pizza, and other things is the 'way to go' if you are a hard gainer?
  • JaemesT52
    Options
    tiffany23k wrote: »
    I went through a depression and have anxiety so that doesn't help but I went to a very unhealthy weight of 89 lbs and then came back up to 102. My goal is to gain 20-30 lbs to be normal for once ! I've been too skinny whole life but I do not have any eating disorders and love food. The only problem I think I have is I rarely eat breakfast... I'm just not hungry when I wake up!!!
    That's the problem you don't eat breakfast you need to have breakfast because its the most important meal of the day and the way your body will have energy and you need to eat like whole foods. Also if you wanted to add some muscle to your body you could lift some weights and do a little bit of cardio like 2-3 sessions but not for long.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    isocom79 wrote: »

So wrong you can't correct it..but why not? If you have the knowledge, experience, or are yourself a nutritionist / doctor...why not correct him?

I am going to go out on a limb and say those who say he is wrong simply can't correct him. Because they don't know any better themselves (i.e. the above quoted poster).

I'd like to know why you should horde ice cream, pizza, and other things is the 'way to go' if you are a hard gainer?

No one said that so stop with the strawman and we don't have the energy or time to deal with someine who has no basic clue about physiology.
  • isocom79
    isocom79 Posts: 9
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Emily and Wheelhouse why is it so hard to explain why you should eat ice cream, pizza, etc for added calories? Why not focus on clean healthy alternatives? You can get plenty of calories for things other than dairy products.

And besides that...clearly neither of you have the credentials to defend your assertions. Is it really that big of a deal to simply explain why you recommend what you recommend? Or can you only recommend what someone else recommended via the grapr vine?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Emily and Wheelhouse why is it so hard to explain why you should eat ice cream, pizza, etc for added calories? Why not focus on clean healthy alternatives? You can get plenty of calories for things other than dairy products.

And besides that...clearly neither of you have the credentials to defend your assertions. Is it really that big of a deal to simply explain why you recommend what you recommend? Or can you only recommend what someone else recommended via the grapr vine?

Can you explain why, within the context of a nutritiously varied and healthy diet, a serving or two of ice cream is unhealthy if it helps you reach your daily calorie goal and is within your macro breakdown?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

because I have spent 75% of my 13000 + posts correcting BS like that and I don't feel like tearing down every straw man argument on mfp ..

and who the hell said to horde ice cream, and pizza??????
  • ndj1979
    edited February 2015
    Options

and your credentials are??

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Oh this is getting gooooooooood!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Nobody said anything about hording ice cream and pizza..having these things as part of an otherwise nutritious diet is just fine and when trying to gain weight can be very beneficial.

I did a bulk starting in the early fall and through the new year...I needed to consistently get around 3200ish calories per day...I still ate my 6-8 servings of fruit and veg per day...my whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats...but to consistently hit my calorie targets required me to have some "junk"...note I said some...I know how people like to translate that as "nothing but twinkies all day long."

Also, if I'm hitting on all of my nutrition, how do I benefit from more broccoli?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    why is it so hard to explain why you should eat ice cream, pizza, etc for added calories?

Simple. They have a lot of calories for a given quantity.

Easy-peasy. I didn't think that was too difficult.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

And besides that...clearly neither of you have the credentials to defend your assertions nor apparently the mental fortitude to explain them either. Is it really that big of a deal to simply explain why you recommend what you recommend? Or can you only recommend what someone else recommended via the grapr vine?

Nobody said anything about hording ice cream and pizza..having these things as part of an otherwise nutritious diet is just fine and when trying to gain weight can be very beneficial.

I did a bulk starting in the early fall and through the new year...I needed to consistently get around 3200ish calories per day...I still ate my 6-8 servings of fruit and veg per day...my whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats...but to consistently hit my calorie targets required me to have some "junk"...note I said some...I know how people like to translate that as "nothing but twinkies all day long."

Also, if I'm hitting on all of my nutrition, how do I benefit from more broccoli?

cwolfman is always on point ^
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    why is it so hard to explain why you should eat ice cream, pizza, etc for added calories? Why not focus on clean healthy alternatives? You can get plenty of calories for things other than dairy products.

@ceoverturf said it. Lots of cals, easy and fast to eat. I hit my nutritional goals for the day.. shoving my face with more super filling veggies, fruits, whole grains, whatever you consider a 'clean alternative' isn't necessary and can actually make it more difficult to reach a surplus. I was a 130lb, 5'7" woman bulking on 3300 cals per day, you better believe I had me some ice cream every night.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    my metabolism is ridicules... I have like no fat on my body but eat a ton of food all the time and noting works? I drink ensure, boosts, muscle milk... I don't know what else to do?

If this is true. If you are really eating what should be a surplus of calories and not gaining, you should see a doctor. That can be a sign of disease.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    JaemesT52 wrote: »
    I went through a depression and have anxiety so that doesn't help but I went to a very unhealthy weight of 89 lbs and then came back up to 102. My goal is to gain 20-30 lbs to be normal for once ! I've been too skinny whole life but I do not have any eating disorders and love food. The only problem I think I have is I rarely eat breakfast... I'm just not hungry when I wake up!!!
    That's the problem you don't eat breakfast you need to have breakfast because its the most important meal of the day and the way your body will have energy and you need to eat like whole foods. Also if you wanted to add some muscle to your body you could lift some weights and do a little bit of cardio like 2-3 sessions but not for long.

Well...if eating breakfast will get you to eat more calories per day, then yeah. But there's nothing magical about breakfast or timing. Just need to eat more period.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Because when you're bulking, the most important thing is to get your calories in. Nothing else about your diet matters as much; no surplus = no gains. And when you're bulking, which I suspect you've never done, there are many days when you come to the end of the day and still need to eat upwards of 500-1000 calories and you cannot freaking face any more high-volume food. Your choices at that point are to abandon your surplus for that day or find foods that are high-calorie and low-volume. Ice cream, pizza, cookies, poptarts, etc., are SOME examples of high-calorie, low-volume foods.

• ndj1979
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

And besides that...clearly neither of you have the credentials to defend your assertions nor apparently the mental fortitude to explain them either. Is it really that big of a deal to simply explain why you recommend what you recommend? Or can you only recommend what someone else recommended via the grapr vine?

Wolf man for the win!