Doing the laundry

Options

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    ummm me, i have a thing about clothes. i can only wear them once then they just have to go in the wash

Ditto. Putting on a worn old bra (or socks)? Not going to happen.

i cant put on a worn anything, my daughters now the same way and gets thru 2 sets of clothes at least a day

the electric company loves me o a weekend with the amount of laundry i do lol

Wash late at night. The electricity rates are lower
  • WednesdayJanuary07th2015
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've always been unusually clean, even as a child. So much so, that my Mother absolutely refused to wash anything I wore; unless I wore it twice. She'd even put back my underwear/socks, in my dresser folded; after I put them in the dirty laundry basket & I knew it wasn't washed because I didn't hear the washer/dryer run before my clothes were put back. With my Brothers & Sister however, she always threw away theirs; after they only wore them once; she never once ever washed their underwear/socks because they were dirty kids. I believe it was also because I naturally always smelled good. I didn't fully lose my baby scent, until I was about 10 years old & I didn't have to wear deodorant, until I was 22. Plus whenever I use to sweat, it always smelled like flowery perfume; even though I wasn't wearing any. Whereas my siblings, always smelled like rusted metal; whenever they'd sweat.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    Wow! A bunch of responders first joined MFP because they were exercising a lot and did not need to lose weight!

Original poster, when you set up yourself as sedentary, MFP credited you with about 1.2x the calories of you base rate metabolism (i.e. the amount of calories you would burn by being alive even if you never left your bed)

This sedentary total daily energy expenditure level accounts for things like going to the bathroom, cooking your food, brushing your teath, watching TV, typing on your computer, driving, and other general activities of daily living, including doing your own laundry.

It does not account for working an 8 hour shift folding laundry in a laundromat, nor does it account for step based activities that exceed 5 or 6,000 steps a day.

You may want to consider getting yourself a cheap pedometer. A fitbit zip (or charge hrm if you can afford it) might be an even better option.

Both can help you gauge whether your daily activity level is sufficient to warrant an "adjustment" to MFPs base sedentary caloric estimate.

Someone else has already given out useful 'step ranges' and the activity level (tdee) they correspond to.

The higher my tdee... the more i get to eat... so after finishing this post I'm taking the dog out for a walk!

Many people who lose weight do so in part by becoming more active, and many accomplish this by incorporating walking into their daily lives.

While the "average" person is sedentary and racks up about 5,000 steps, a "goal" to built up to during weight loss may be something like 12,000+ steps a day. If walking at a moderate pace that may take a couple of hours each and every day.

But you cannot go from 0 to 12000.

Slowly build up to a higher level by starting with a single 10 minute walk around the block if that's all you can do today.

As the weight drops a lot of activities that seemed impossible... aren't!

94% of the members of the national weight control registry used some form of exercise (most prevalently walking) to accomplish their weight loss.

90% of nwcr maintainers report that they exercise at least an hour a day (which is more than what people who have never been fat exercise on average).

Take care.

• BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    WakkoW wrote: »
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder if there are just a lot of people out there who are SO sedentary that things the rest of us think of as activities of daily living look to them like herculean efforts. It's the only reasonably sane rationale I can come up with for why so many people think they should get exercise brownie points for doing the most mundane, random nonsense imaginable. Maybe vacuuming or laundry or ironing or whatever does look like exercise when your baseline is "Today I got out of bed and walked to the living room."

Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner. Pick up your box of donuts on your way out. I'm sure you burned through quite a few calories typing today. Time for a treat.

I took out the trash too, those donuts better have sprinkles.

Good lord, BE CAREFUL! You are hovering dangerously close to the point of no return here. If you go burning any more calories, the universe may just collapse upon itself. Tread lightly...err, better yet, not at all. Just stand still the rest of the day.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Wow! A bunch of responders first joined MFP because they were exercising a lot and did not need to lose weight!

Original poster, when you set up yourself as sedentary, MFP credited you with about 1.2x the calories of you base rate metabolism (i.e. the amount of calories you would burn by being alive even if you never left your bed)

This sedentary total daily energy expenditure level accounts for things like going to the bathroom, cooking your food, brushing your teath, watching TV, typing on your computer, driving, and other general activities of daily living, including doing your own laundry.

It does not account for working an 8 hour shift folding laundry in a laundromat, nor does it account for step based activities that exceed 5 or 6,000 steps a day.

<snip>

90% of nwcr maintainers report that they exercise at least an hour a day (which is more than what people who have never been fat exercise on average).

Take care.

Except op doesn't work in a Laundromat - they were doing their own laundry

Oh and a HRM only works for steady state cardio - it is useless for monitoring daily burn.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You need to walk at a moderate level 3-5x a week, for 30 minutes a day to be considered physically active. If you want to be physically fit, you need to add vigorous exercise 3x a week for a min of 30 minutes for a min of 3 months (3 - 3 - 3).

Doing the laundry only counts if you are moving for the entire time, not sitting around waiting for the washing machine or dryier bell to ring.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    I have counted housework at 100 calories per hour IF I am on my feet and moving the entire hour.
    That doesn't happen very often.
    Mostly, I get up and load the dishwasher for 10 min, then sit, then get up and put laundry into the washer, then sit, then get up and hang the laundry to dry, then sit, etc.. I don't count any of that.
    However, once last week, I was up for a full 60 minutes doing all those things plus lifting and carrying fairly heavy boxes, and unpacking those boxes, as we settle into our place. I counted that as 100 calories.
  • smythepatricia90
    smythepatricia90 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    28hwzh6xpi2s.jpg
    Pot meet kettle.
  • honeybee_kisses
    honeybee_kisses Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    agratzy wrote: »
    I am bummed at how unhelpful/ sarcastic/ simply rude comments there are.
    Some of you guys are pretty funny and mean well.
    But OP, I'd just forget pretty much this whole mess and move on.

Agree. And always justified by 'it's not mean, it's being honest' yes but there's a way to go about it! I don't think I'd ever want to post a question on here. There are lots of lovely people but some seem to enjoy making others look and feel stupid.
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    How about if you do the laundry by hand? :smiley:

We don't have a washing machine at the moment so I ether drive to my mum's every weekend with at least 3 bags full of dirty clothes, or if I need something urgently I wash it by hand. It is incredible how tiring that is,, even if it is only a few shirts or a pair of jeans. How did people manage wash entire family's clothes back when washing machines were not yet invented is beyond me.
    But I suppose people weren't as fat back then either.

I don't log the washing btw :P
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    When a human is over a certain age the metabolism slows down.
    ANY physical movement IS exercise.
    However, it may not reduce weight.
    There is another issue that is the problem.
    I've been telling doctors this for a long long time.
    Just wait… That will be revealed in years to come but too late for you and I.

Over the years, I put on a lot of weight. I bought into the "age-induced metabolism slowdown" excuse too. The reality was, it was mostly me slowing down, cutting back on my activity level, rather than my base metabolism slowing down. Oh ... and the extra calories I was taking in while I wasn't doing much activity didn't help.

But last year I reversed that. Controlled my calories, resumed exercising (first walking, then elliptical, then weights). At age 51, I dropped 100 lbs. Showed that metabolism who is boss.

I had to stop making excuses for myself, and start making changes, in order to drop weight.

As a friend once told me ... "you don't slow down because you get older, you get older because you slow down".

Cut back on the calories, pick up the pace, find your younger self again. I know I did.

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    28hwzh6xpi2s.jpg

But what will you do for exercise today, more laundry?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    28hwzh6xpi2s.jpg

Did the person who posted not one but FOUR different threads over this issue just call everyone else drama queens?
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    28hwzh6xpi2s.jpg

Did the person who posted not one but FOUR different threads over this issue just call everyone else drama queens?

Waitwaitwaitwait, there are four of these?

(And to remain vaguely on topic, I do not log cleaning, work-related walking, or anything I was doing before I started tracking. If it's something I was already doing, it's part of my total daily energy expenditure and is included in the calories MFP provided when I set my activity level, as many people have already said)

ETA that when I first started logging, I did log cooking and cleaning because I so desperately wanted those extra calories. But eventually I realized I was just cheating myself, and when I stopped trying to fool myself I saw the weight drop off much more quickly and satisfactorily.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    28hwzh6xpi2s.jpg

Waitwaitwaitwait, there are four of these?

(And to remain vaguely on topic, I do not log cleaning, work-related walking, or anything I was doing before I started tracking. If it's something I was already doing, it's part of my total daily energy expenditure and is included in the calories MFP provided when I set my activity level, as many people have already said)

There was this one. The follow up one saying asking for help was a mistake one. Then the Spock one right after. And today was the one complaining that these activities don't count. That disappeared.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    28hwzh6xpi2s.jpg

can you link to the other threads? I gotta see this.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    Conclusion: Internet-Troll.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    28hwzh6xpi2s.jpg

can you link to the other threads? I gotta see this.

Two have been removed and the Spock one was moved to Chit chat by a mod. Not going there to find it. Lol.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    kemit-sips-tea-o.gif