I Do Not Want to be Thin

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I'll be honest with you... why do people want to be "thin"? Because you cannot be truly healthy and be fat. H.A.E.S. does not exist; it just doesn't.

You dont have to be "skinny" but our bodies were designed to be lean and strong, period. And that isn't something that requires 2-4 hours in the gym.

Edited to add: I'm not even talking about aesthetics here, just the fact that our bodies were not designed to hold excess amounts of fat for an extended period of time. Since your post seemed to focus on the "look" of being skinny.

yup.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I want to be thin because I've done the fat thing and didn't like it. I was unhealthy and lazy and it didn't feel good or look good. When I started partaking in healthy and active behaviors, I felt better and looked better and, in turn, have ended up thin and will end up even thinner.

I really don't envy anybody else's body. I might look at a woman and think that she has great arms or legs but envy? Nope.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I know that to be healthy I need to be around 60 - 65 kg. To get there I need motivation. A picture of my favourite actress is more tangible than the reduction in health risks, particularly as I have not experienced any health affects of being overweight. So, when my head is arguing with my stomach I tell myself if I don't eat this chocolate bar I can look like Alex Breckenridge. There is no reason why desire to be healthy and desire to be pretty should be mutually exclusive, and I don't think wanting to be pretty is a bad thing in itself.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I didn't start this journey in the overweight category. I was at the high end of the normal BMI "healthy" category. I wanted to be smaller and carry less weight because I noticed how an extra 15-25 lbs of fat was making me feel like a ton of bricks when exercising. I want to be lighter and full of energy for exercise. And stairs. 'nuff said.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I want to be thin. I honestly don't think I'll ever be as thin as I'd like, because I'd have to give up too many things. That doesn't stop me from wanting it. Nor does wanting it stop me from being happy now. Working toward a goal does not mean I'm not happy now.

I don't envy the bodies of others, except for the young. And that's not really envy, it just makes me miss my own young body.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My primary goal is to be healthy. However, I definitely feel that I look better than I did when I was obese and I have much more confidence. Now I am relatively close to goal, and vanity is playing more of a role (I doubt losing a few more pounds will significantly impact my health at this point). There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good!!!

Everybody wants to look good. That is fine unless you go to dangerous lengths to do so.
  • Zombieinkpot
    Zombieinkpot Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I want to be thin, and strong, and love myself and healthy. Only three of those things I have total control over.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 2 and I love myself and my body. I'm not thin, I'm athletic and that and being healthy has always been my goal.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I think all the points being made here are great. I think OP is right on to say she wants to find her perfect weight and that might not be "thin." And I think folks who want to be thin are right on to say they want to be thin. I don't think OP meant to body shame thin people....

That all being said :).... OP, it doesn't take 2-4 hours in the gym to be "thin." "Thin" is about body fat percentage and that can be done solely with controling calories in vs. calories out. I lost most of my weight just by cutting my calories in. Gym time is about fitness.

To me, a "healthy" body would be a fit body, with a reasonable amount of body fat. Because I love my body, I want it to be healthy. So I try to keep my body fat percentage reasonable (I'd say for me 23% is the high end of my reasonable spectrum and 16% is probably at the low end). I also try to keep fit by working out. But working out in a healthy way would NOT be 2-4 hours a day. Even 1 hour every day is pushing it, in my opinion. I do maybe 1 hour four times a week, and then about 20 minutes twice a week, and then one day of whatever.
  • Hellaine
    Hellaine Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm already healthy and in good health. And now I want to be thin. I have a job where being little will make me more money (call it shallow but it's how I support my family), I wanna look good in a wider majority of clothes--and without clothes *saucy eyebrow wiggles* Guess I won't be the poster girl for changing years and years of vast societal pressure, as much as I commend the idea.

I also want to be not judgmental of other people's reasons for starting and mainting them self into a physically healthy style so, you know, at least I have that going for me.
  • Lyndonbearsmommy
    Lyndonbearsmommy Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be thin. I want to look good. I don't like the extra weight I carry. I don't like my larger arms. I don't like having a "muffin top". Why is it wrong that I don't like these things and want to change them?
  • trainulana
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I'll be honest with you... why do people want to be "thin"? Because you cannot be truly healthy and be fat. H.A.E.S. does not exist; it just doesn't.

You dont have to be "skinny" but our bodies were designed to be lean and strong, period. And that isn't something that requires 2-4 hours in the gym.

Edited to add: I'm not even talking about aesthetics here, just the fact that our bodies were not designed to hold excess amounts of fat for an extended period of time. Since your post seemed to focus on the "look" of being skinny.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was already healthy and thin before I lost weight. I wanted to look even better. Why wouldn't I? If I have the discipline and desire to do so, why not try to look the best I possibly can?

And I have never spent 2-4 hours in the gym per day. I don't even spend ONE hour in the gym every day. (Unless you're talking the gymnasium for volleyball playoffs, I've done that for 5 hours.)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    First of all, I don't want to be thin (by most definitions of thin). I want to be at the upper edge of healthy BMI because I like that look. Am I in any way better than those who like the thin look on themselves just because I have a higher weight target? Do I love myself any more than others do because my vanity ideal is different from someone else's?

Now of course I want to be healthy, it's why this whole weight loss thing started after all. And I love myself. I loved myself even when I was super obese, so if I were genetically lucky to be healthy at that size and set "love myself" as a goal I would have stayed obese.

Since I'm losing weight to improve my health I see no issue with striving to look good in the process, to myself and to other people. Unless it leads to unhealthy behaviors, wanting to be liked and accepted by others is normal - blame evolution if you don't like it, but this is just how humans roll.

• beets4us
    beets4us Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    At this point, I am not even thinking about whether I want to be thin or not. I am just trying to not be overweight anymore! I'm someone who gets intimidated by ultimate end goals. Right now, I am just keeping my eyes on the prize of being under 25 for my BMI!
  • aubrey_11_baker
    aubrey_11_baker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be thin. I want to look good. I don't like the extra weight I carry. I don't like my larger arms. I don't like having a "muffin top". Why is it wrong that I don't like these things and want to change them?

My point here was simply sharing how I feel. I'm not saying everybody should share my point of view. I'm not saying if that's what they want, people shouldn't strive to be thin. Just saying what's on my mind. Love yourself because I feel that's the most difficult part of the process.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

My point here was simply sharing how I feel. I'm not saying everybody should share my point of view. I'm not saying if that's what they want, people shouldn't strive to be thin. Just saying what's on my mind. Love yourself because I feel that's the most difficult part of the process.

You also made a claim about women who look good spending 2-4 hours in the gym daily. That's really not accurate at all and portrays having a great body in a negative manner.

Yes, we should love ourselves and we should do that from the beginning.
  • aubrey_11_baker
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    What is your definition of thin?

I am relatively lean. Being lean has nothing to do with whether I love myself or whether I a trying to conform to any stereotype. In fact, I do not conform to the stereotype of my demographic and I am perfectly good with that.

OP, your post makes a lot of rather ignorant assumptions and is condescending and, basically, pretty terrible. People can have preferences regarding aesthetics and, shocking, I know, they can be different to others, as can motivations and reasons as to why they doe something. Stop trying to put everyone in your box. I would not like being in it at all. My athletic performance would be negatively impacted, potentially my health and well being, and I would have aesthetics that I would be less happy with if I were to settle for being rather overweight (and no, preference for a certain BF% =/= hating yourself if not at that BF%).

I'm not condemning thin people in any way, shape, or form. I'm just saying what's on my mind. God the internet is a harsh place.
  • aubrey_11_baker
    Options
    Ugh. This is why I refrain from ever posting anything here. Make 1 mistake and everybody jumps you like a pack of wolves. So much negativity. I was in no way saying people shouldn't be thin and lean. I'm just sharing that that isn't my personal goal and it doesn't have to be everybody's goal. Looking for support and most of what I see here is negative backlash. Thank you to those who liked my post and may have found a bit of motivation.
  • Hellaine
    Hellaine Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    "I posted an entry with a pretty judgement stance on a public forum, I can't believe people have the audacity to reply! This is my opinion; no one asked to hear yours!"

...seriously?
This discussion has been closed.