I Do Not Want to be Thin

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hellaine wrote: »
    "I posted an entry with a pretty judgement stance on a public forum, I can't believe people have the audacity to reply! This is my opinion; no one asked to hear yours!"

...seriously?

That's a pretty accurate summary :laugh:
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I had a check up with my GP recently, he asked me what my goal was, and I don't think I could have offered a more worthless answer to his question than if I had said "To love myself."

I said I want to get down to a healthy BMI (which I think is just another way of saying "thin." i.e. Not underweight, not overweight, and certainly not obese.)

I feel your OP was written to an adolescent girl.

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I want to be strong, healthy and fit, whatever size that is works for me; actually I feel pretty strong, healthy and fit right now, but goals to stay and be even more strong, fit and healthy are a good thing.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Ugh. This is why I refrain from ever posting anything here. Make 1 mistake and everybody jumps you like a pack of wolves. So much negativity. I was in no way saying people shouldn't be thin and lean. I'm just sharing that that isn't my personal goal and it doesn't have to be everybody's goal. Looking for support and most of what I see here is negative backlash. Thank you to those who liked my post and may have found a bit of motivation.

If you want to post your opinion about something and not have people reply, try the blog feature.

Oh, and to be OT, I want to be "thin" so doctors will take my medical problems seriously instead of scripting out the standard "lose weight".

• perseverance14
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'm "thin" by many standards. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be thin. It's great that you are working towards healthy, but suggesting that a woman only wants to be thin because of society is a form of body shaming.
    I agree with you, people should do what is best for them, not society.

• perseverance14
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    One can be overweight and very healthy.
    chart_1+(12).png

That's not the same as HIAS, but as this graph shows, being slightly overweight is an advantage.

My goal is to achieve the overweight category and out of the obese range. My current BMI is 32 and all I have to drop is fifteen pounds to make the overweight range.
    I am at a normal BMI now, but I want to get a little lower in the normal range, but I don't really care about BMI, I am focused on body fat.

That said, when I started this I was obese (over 30 BMI is not overweight, it is obese) and I felt and looked pretty bad. I still loved myself, yes, but I sure didn't want to keep living like that. There is plenty of evidence of how bad being obese is for your health. For the first time my fasting blood sugar went over 100, that was when I said enough is enough. I have all my great numbers back now, my Doctor is happy and so am I.

I also am no longer bothered by my hiatal hernia, the one that was making my life miserable when I was obese, no GERD anymore, not even heartburn.

There is loving yourself as you are but knowing you should take better care of yourself, then there is denial, and it is not a river in Egypt.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    So, I'm not trying to diss on anybody else's goals. But seriously, do what you want for yourself and not to appease others or fit the "ideal" set forth by media outlets. I've seen it all to often with people I know around my weight that they set huge goals and when they don't reach them, they give up which is the worst thing you can do. I guess my main point is what I've said several times, I don't want to be thin, and it's ok if others feel that way too. I think it's harder for women particularly to admit that their goal isn't to be thin.

Not for you apparently, since you rushed to share that on the public forums in a judgy sounding post. Should you should get a pat on the back or something? Sometimes I wish people would lurk a little more before posting. It would save them a lot of grief, knowhatimean?

Yep, knowhatchamean!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go ahead and understand where OP is coming from, because it fits how I've always felt. It hurts me to see other heavy women (and non-heavy women) fretting over what their jean size is because they think that's what their worth is based on. I never felt the need to be thin or look a certain way. I don't have low self esteem. I know that as a human being, I'm pretty great, so I just sort of pushed all of the physical stuff to the side. I don't have high blood pressure (the reactions from the nurses always seems to be a veiled form of "Wow! You're fat and have good bp!"). I don't have diabetes or high cholesterol. However, I can't tie my shoes like a normal person (damn near asphyxiated myself trying to tie them on the bus when my gut pushed into my diaphragm), my feet and knees are in agony, I need help from attendants to be buckled into amusement park rides, and so I want to lose weight because I can't function well the way I am. I don't care much what size I get to. My main goal is to get out of the obesity range, but other than that, I'm good. I don't think OP meant to attack anyone for wanting a certain result. She's just coming from a different place.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Ugh. This is why I refrain from ever posting anything here. Make 1 mistake and everybody jumps you like a pack of wolves. So much negativity. I was in no way saying people shouldn't be thin and lean. I'm just sharing that that isn't my personal goal and it doesn't have to be everybody's goal. Looking for support and most of what I see here is negative backlash. Thank you to those who liked my post and may have found a bit of motivation.

If you want to post your opinion about something and not have people reply, try the blog feature.

Oh, and to be OT, I want to be "thin" so doctors will take my medical problems seriously instead of scripting out the standard "lose weight".

That's actually a really good point that I hadn't thought about.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go ahead and understand where OP is coming from, because it fits how I've always felt. It hurts me to see other heavy women (and non-heavy women) fretting over what their jean size is because they think that's what their worth is based on. I never felt the need to be thin or look a certain way. I don't have low self esteem. I know that as a human being, I'm pretty great, so I just sort of pushed all of the physical stuff to the side. I don't have high blood pressure (the reactions from the nurses always seems to be a veiled form of "Wow! You're fat and have good bp!"). I don't have diabetes or high cholesterol. However, I can't tie my shoes like a normal person (damn near asphyxiated myself trying to tie them on the bus when my gut pushed into my diaphragm), my feet and knees are in agony, I need help from attendants to be buckled into amusement park rides, and so I want to lose weight because I can't function well the way I am. I don't care much what size I get to. My main goal is to get out of the obesity range, but other than that, I'm good. I don't think OP meant to attack anyone for wanting a certain result. She's just coming from a different place.

That's understandable. Many of us started out with the same types of goals. To fit in an airplane seat without spilling into someone else's seat. To not max out the weight on a water slide and have to do the walk of shame.

The issue is over a single paragraph. Insinuating that the only reason for wanting to be thin is because of society and stating that you have to do absurd amounts of exercise daily to achieve a great body. Those statements are wrong and offensive.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Love yourself. Embrace the changes that you see in your body and use that as motivation. Find the ideal proportions for you. Not all of us will look gooI do not want to be thin. I want to find MY perfect size.

I hope you figure out what your perfect size is and acheive your goals whatever your motivation is.

I want to not be overweight anymore because it doesn't feel good. I don't hate myself. I want to be in the healthy BMI range for my height. I want my waist and hips to be in the same pants size. I think those are healthy, achievable goals.
    As an adult, I have weighed from 100 to 180 lbs. I know that I felt pretty good about my health and appearance around 125 lbs. That is from my personal experience of living in my body for 40 years. I set my goal for 149 lbs first because I lacked confidence. When I get to where I feel right I will stop.
    I do appreciate every day the difference losing some weight has already made in making it easier to live my life.
    Not doing an extreme diet or super intense exercise sessions.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't want to be thin.
    Even at a healthy BMI, I won't be thin, because I'm built large.
    But I can be at a healthy weight, and strong, and fit, and healthy, and look great.

My only numerical goals are
    1 - to get my waist below 34", because that's supposed to be the upper healthy limit for women. Smashed that already - currently at 31" & I've lost nearly 12" off my waist since the beginning of 2014.

2 - to get my weight into the healthy BMI range. I've got about 30 lb to go. I think I'd like to lose another 15 lb beyond that, but will assess once I get close, see how I feel. Am also planning on increasing weightlifting to be strong & lose inches, firm up.

I'm very happy with my success so far. I'm liking how I look, love how I feel, love having muscles starting to develop/show, etc.
    51637601.png
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote:
    I want my waist and hips to be in the same pants size.
    OMG... I recently tried on jeans (women's jeans) and when I found something that fit in the hips it was several inches too large in the waist.
    It's like the designers don't expect women to be curvy!! :angry:
    Guess I need to shop around & find a brand that's cut for curvy women.
    (And my hips/butt aren't even all that large, or disproportionate. I've seen some women at the gym where their butt could be used to set drinks on, it's that much different from their waist. I don't know how they find pants.)
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Maybe you wrote this post with good intentions and to be inspirational to others that are like-minded. It may have went over well with your friends in person. On the internet however, your character is judged by text on a screen - the opposite of how we communicate in person which largely focuses on tone and body language and where there's greater opportunity to interact and clarify if words aren't quite right.

So you've got to be more mindful of what you write if you don't want "a pack of wolves" showing up. In a single post you made sweeping assumptions, bashed other people's goals, suggested people need to re-assess their goals if they differ from yours as if you're some paternalistic and wise expert on our lives, and made assertions that are factually incorrect. Pretty impressive to fit that all in now that I type it out, actually. So instead of getting defensive, consider re-reading your post from the perspective of someone that knows ZERO information about you.

Anyway, I hope you reach your "perfect size" and get the hang of internet forums. Meanwhile the rest of the adults here will focus on their own goals.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote:
    I want my waist and hips to be in the same pants size.
    OMG... I recently tried on jeans (women's jeans) and when I found something that fit in the hips it was several inches too large in the waist.
    It's like the designers don't expect women to be curvy!! :angry:
    Guess I need to shop around & find a brand that's cut for curvy women.
    (And my hips/butt aren't even all that large, or disproportionate. I've seen some women at the gym where their butt could be used to set drinks on, it's that much different from their waist. I don't know how they find pants.)

Low-rise helps. I have a small waist, a shelf-butt and a short torso. Lots of designers now add more rise in the back while keeping the front low-rise. That's helpful for girls built like me who would rather not have their waistband above their bellybutton in the front and their buttcrack hanging out the back.

• quinn
    quinn Posts: 4
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Oh sweet jeebezus, am I ever sick of this stupid stereotype! The VAST majority of thin people don't spend 2-4 hours at the gym every day. We're not making ourselves sick or miserable, eating only lettuce and running on hamster wheels. If you assume that you have to endanger your health and hate yourself in order to be thin, of course nobody would want to do that. It is a very convenient excuse for not making changes, though.

I'm considered thin by most standards. I love myself and love what my body can do. I eat WAY more and exercise less than most people assume. I don't live on lettuce or rice cakes -- ice cream is a food group in my world, and I eat REAL dessert every day (cookies, chocolate, ice cream, etc.).

If you're going to pull the HAES card, you have to remember that the E stands for every. It includes thin people too.

I have a different experience. I did have to spend 2-4 hours working out/being active (not always in the gym ) and monitor EVERYTHING I ate -- no eating out, no ice cream to maintain 130 lbs. (size 6) -- and many people on this post would not have called me thin. I am 5"7, but with short heavy legs and generally pretty curvy everywhere. It was pretty freaking depressing to work that hard and not look thin. So I gave up and gained a bunch of weight (which did not make me feel better either). It seems like 150lbs is around the point I can maintain with about an hour/ hour 1/2 workouts 6 days a week and a diet that lets me eat ice cream or a burger once or twice a month. That's a US size 10 or 12 for me, not even close to thin. But I am healthy and fit at that weight. I just don't think you can look at a person and say thin = healthy, fat = unhealthy. We all come in different shapes and sizes and that should be ok (but I would love to have long thin legs). My neighbor is thin, eats junk food all the time (small portions though), no veggies and never exercises. When we walk up the hill together she is out of breath, I can run up it.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like being thin, because I'm a small build (bonewise) and when I'm thin, that's when I feel my healthiest and have the least strain on my joints. Also, I appreciate the convenience of being able to know my size in a shop, grab it without trying it on and buying it. I don't have much time to shop for clothes and find it quite boring, so overall, thin works for me.

I'm not 'thin' at the moment, but slowly working toward my goals. I know my ideal weight, and I see nothing wrong with that. Maybe others you've heard say these things have reasons besides 'societal pressure' for being a certain size? It's their choice.

Edited to add, I already love myself. That's why I'm doing this. I'm reclaiming my body back! I'm looking after myself because my body deserves the best of health.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My point here was simply sharing how I feel. I'm not saying everybody should share my point of view. I'm not saying if that's what they want, people shouldn't strive to be thin. Just saying what's on my mind. Love yourself because I feel that's the most difficult part of the process.

OP, I am a bit confused you say here "I'm not saying everybody should share my point of view" but...
    If that is your goal, please assess why. If you are attempting to conform to pressures put on by the media, health magazines, and fitness nuts, then maybe you should take a step back and re-evaluate your goals. If you are attempting to look like them, chances are you will fail. Simply put, most of us do not have the time or motivation to be at the gym 2-4 hours a day to achieve a body like those we all envy.
    You asked for people with a goal to become thin to reassess their reasoning. That is condescending, negative...especially when you state "If you are attempting to look like them, chances are you will fail.". You accuse " the pack of wolves" of being negative, the posts I read were people doing as you asked and reassessing their goals and stating the reasons they have for their personal goals. Disagreement on a public forum does not equal negativity. Name Calling, blanket false statements, condensending attitude does equal negativity.
  • FunkenWagnel
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I'll be honest with you... why do people want to be "thin"? Because you cannot be truly healthy and be fat. H.A.E.S. does not exist; it just doesn't.

You dont have to be "skinny" but our bodies were designed to be lean and strong, period. And that isn't something that requires 2-4 hours in the gym.

Edited to add: I'm not even talking about aesthetics here, just the fact that our bodies were not designed to hold excess amounts of fat for an extended period of time. Since your post seemed to focus on the "look" of being skinny.

Only just read this, but I agree with you 100%
  • FunkenWagnel
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'm "thin" by many standards. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be thin. It's great that you are working towards healthy, but suggesting that a woman only wants to be thin because of society is a form of body shaming.

Exactly. It goes both ways.
This discussion has been closed.