• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Do you want energy to workout if so then NOOOOOOOOO
    What?
  • AnnaNutBread89
    AnnaNutBread89 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Of course! A grass fed all organic ground beef, medium rare. You should join the paleo lifestyle, which is what I'm on
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Of course! A grass fed all organic ground beef, medium rare. You should join the paleo lifestyle, which is what I'm on

Do you get a nickel for every convert or something?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Silly. Our Paleo ancestors didn't use nickels. She gets a polished rock for every convert.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Silly. Our Paleo ancestors didn't use nickels. She gets a polished rock for every convert.

But apparently they did have meat grinders.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    it all comes down to CICO my friend...

consume less than you are burning and you will lose weight.

Yes! Absolutely!
    Unless of course your claim is that being obese puts you outside of the realm of math and physics that apply to all of this?

Gah! No! Please, please when you have an hour, watch the video. It's pretty easy to follow in spite of the medical and genetic lingo.

All this this is saying is that when you have been obese for some period of time (and they are not clear on exactly how much time is required) if you lose body fat it triggers a loss of Leptin (among other unknown-at-this-time effects) that trigger defensive mechanisms to try and restore fat levels to their previous high levels. It does this by reducing metabolism (primarily by making skeletal muscle about 20% more efficient), increasing hunger, and increasing preoccupation with food. And so far as scientists can tell at this point, this effect may be permanent. They can't tell that everyone is effected this way, but so far, everyone they have studied has been effected this way.

The upshot of this is that when a formerly obese person loses weight, they end up with a metabolism that is 10-15% less than someone of the same weight who was never obese.

So not only do you have to learn to make due with eating maintenance for the new weight, you have to learn to make due with eating 10-15% less than that. Most people can't tolerate this which is probably why most people end up failing wait loss long-term.

The only known mechanism at this time that permanently stops this mechanism is bariatric surgery. Leptin replacement therapy seems to also quiet the defense mechanism but obviously is not permanent.

Another option is appetite suppressants, which is the route I'm currently going. Like Leptin replacement therapy, it's not permanent, either, but my hope is I can use it to get to maintenance and then ride it on and off on maintenance until a better solution to the problem comes along.
    I've seen a study like that in a different thread. Neither did it affect everyone, nor was it a flat percentage of calories that they burnt less. The differences were actually pretty severe between people. Also there was pretty much no participants who were physically active so they had no idea if that effect would still happen if you work out. Seems far from conclusive to me.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    No burgers for you! One Year!

Unless of course these were ice age sourced wooly mammoths solely fed on pristine tundra and harvested via club.
  • auddii
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Yes! Absolutely!
    Unless of course your claim is that being obese puts you outside of the realm of math and physics that apply to all of this?

Gah! No! Please, please when you have an hour, watch the video. It's pretty easy to follow in spite of the medical and genetic lingo.

All this this is saying is that when you have been obese for some period of time (and they are not clear on exactly how much time is required) if you lose body fat it triggers a loss of Leptin (among other unknown-at-this-time effects) that trigger defensive mechanisms to try and restore fat levels to their previous high levels. It does this by reducing metabolism (primarily by making skeletal muscle about 20% more efficient), increasing hunger, and increasing preoccupation with food. And so far as scientists can tell at this point, this effect may be permanent. They can't tell that everyone is effected this way, but so far, everyone they have studied has been effected this way.

The upshot of this is that when a formerly obese person loses weight, they end up with a metabolism that is 10-15% less than someone of the same weight who was never obese.

So not only do you have to learn to make due with eating maintenance for the new weight, you have to learn to make due with eating 10-15% less than that. Most people can't tolerate this which is probably why most people end up failing wait loss long-term.

The only known mechanism at this time that permanently stops this mechanism is bariatric surgery. Leptin replacement therapy seems to also quiet the defense mechanism but obviously is not permanent.

Another option is appetite suppressants, which is the route I'm currently going. Like Leptin replacement therapy, it's not permanent, either, but my hope is I can use it to get to maintenance and then ride it on and off on maintenance until a better solution to the problem comes along.

Instead of watching another 1 hour video why don't you go for a jog?

You'd get sweaty. Far more sweaty than wearing chainmail to a renaissance festival on a hot day...
  • mraudit2000
    mraudit2000 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    14 pages? I just asked if a cheeseburger is allowed. By the way, it was awesome!!!
  • auddii
    Options
    14 pages? I just asked if a cheeseburger is allowed. By the way, it was awesome!!!

Glad you enjoyed your burger!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Yes! Absolutely!

You'd get sweaty. Far more sweaty than wearing chainmail to a renaissance festival on a hot day...

I wanna go to a RenFest!!
  • auddii
    Options
    Also, this is a fantastic burger:
    13.png

And while I was there, I had half a apple pie shake (half was still a full glass). Next time, it will be a kitchen sink:
    o.jpg
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes! Absolutely!

I have been reading alot of your posts lately and it almost seems like instead of listening to the people on this site that have been in your shoes and lost tons of weight you rather try to find any excuse to hinder your own progress. Do you want to tlose weight or not?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

This was a surprisingly fun thread. Thank you for starting it, and thank you for my dinner idea last night. Mine was awesome too!

Except I sliced my thumb on the mandolin while slicing onions for the burger. That kinda sucked.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Day late and dollar short, ohhh well!! LOL

So much laughter in this thread!!! :p

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Yes! Absolutely!

Ba ha ha!

Do they have burgers at RenFest? I just remember giant turkey legs...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Day late and dollar short, ohhh well!! LOL

So much laughter in this thread!!! :p

Me too! Just read through the whole thread over the course of the morning and it was entertaining.

Now I want a burger...

My husband just scored some venison patties from a guy at work, so I will probably be making them this weekend.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options

lol too funny!

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

Glad you enjoyed the burger and started this thread!

This discussion has been closed.