Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle?

Options
I am thinking if its possible by cutting some kcal intake and carbs? Can achieve that? How has an expetience on that?
Thanks

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. You have to eat at maintenance levels or just slightly under. The process is slow and takes a looong time according to most.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've done so for the past few months, but no one has any idea how the hell I'm doing so, considering how much I eat to try and gain weight.

Last check (a few days ago) I'd gained 0.5 kg muscle and lost 1.2kg fat in three weeks.
  • Lgabrjolek
    Lgabrjolek Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Lean muscle is gained with higher protein intake (don't over do it). You want to gain lean muscle weight, so stay away from bad fatty foods and limit your sugar intake. If you do a lot of cardio, you will lose weight more rapidly. Lift full slow reps and sets. Push yourself hard and rejuvenate your muscles with proteins (baked fish, chicken breast baked) after your workout. If you stay away from sweets and junk food, you can guarantee yourself results. You will even gain more energy to perform your workouts. MY BEST ADVICE: NEVER SKIP BREAKFAST! SKIPPING CAN ACTUALLY MAKE YOU GAIN UNWANTED FAT!

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

• SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Lgabrjolek wrote: »
    Lean muscle is gained with higher protein intake (don't over do it). You want to gain lean muscle weight, so stay away from bad fatty foods and limit your sugar intake. If you do a lot of cardio, you will lose weight more rapidly. Lift full slow reps and sets. Push yourself hard and rejuvenate your muscles with proteins (baked fish, chicken breast baked) after your workout. If you stay away from sweets and junk food, you can guarantee yourself results. You will even gain more energy to perform your workouts. MY BEST ADVICE: NEVER SKIP BREAKFAST! SKIPPING CAN ACTUALLY MAKE YOU GAIN UNWANTED FAT!

How does skipping breakfast make someone gain fat?
  • Lgabrjolek
    Lgabrjolek Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When you skip breakfast, you will be sending your body into "starving mode". It is not good for your metabolism. Your brain will crave very high calorie foods.

Here is a good link that tells you some more of the reasons NOT to skip breakfast!

http://www.mdhil.com/8-health-reasons-you-should-never-skip-breakfast/

-Liz
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz
    Well no. This is basically a broscience approach. Actual research doesn't have any supporting evidence for the above. One can't "guarantee" anything. There are many many fitness, bikini, figure and bodybuilders who compete naturally who bulk up with "sweets" and can hardly be called fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    When you skip breakfast, you will be sending your body into "starving mode". It is not good for your metabolism. Your brain will crave very high calorie foods.

Here is a good link that tells you some more of the reasons NOT to skip breakfast!

-Liz
    You're reading too much into what this site "believes" happens. Peer reviewed clinical studies are a better source.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Damirov wrote: »
    I am thinking if its possible by cutting some kcal intake and carbs? Can achieve that? How has an expetience on that?
    Thanks
    Possible yes. It takes a lot of attention to detail and it does take a longer route to achieve. A great source is Alan Aragon (who's an MFP member) and Lyle McDonald.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Damirov
    Damirov Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for advice!! So you think its better to go for bulk, consume more kcal, and after few weeks start to to do more cardio and less kcal? Would be faster?
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Damirov wrote: »
    Thanks
    Possible yes. It takes a lot of attention to detail and it does take a longer route to achieve. A great source is Alan Aragon (who's an MFP member) and Lyle McDonald.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Damirov
    Damirov Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks eveyone for your attention and advices. So its possible:) i will test it and we will see:)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

Most of this is just opinion and has no basis in reality. OP should disregard.

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

lol-o.gif
  • ranaeblade
    ranaeblade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    to gain muscle you will have to increase protein, lower carbs, lift weights and add cardio
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Make friends with a weight routine if you need some ideas feel free to friend me and I will glady share some of my workouts
  • MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    The process is slow and takes a looong time according to most.

^Yuuuup.

This guy explains it much better than I ever could: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-build-muscle-and-lose-fat/
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

OMG, that one almost brought me to tears because of the laughter.

OP, please disregard this post and her other post as well. That is pure nonsense.

I have been skipping breakfast for months. I have also been working out in the early AM while fasted and not eating till noon. I am still making strength gains. Made a huge advance in my deadlift the other day. I cannot say about the lean muscle gains since I am eating at a deficit and that is not my goal right now. I need to lose fat. Which I am doing.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

congratulations, this post is dead wrong...
  • ndj1979
    Options

-Liz

no…please just stop and exit this forum immediately...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ranaeblade wrote: »
    to gain muscle you will have to increase protein, lower carbs, lift weights and add cardio

why would you lower carbs when bulking??????????