SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you want to be thin?
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you want to be thin?

Not everyone has the same goals and ideal body image?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Soooo, I am mistaken to take the results of that study? All overweight is bad in your opinion?

I agreed with the OP so far as my goal is not "thin" but healthy.

The judgement about thin people being obsessed or wrong I could do without. We all have different goals. Working to thin is also a worthy goal.

I am miffed that my goal is considered somehow inferior or unhealthy when it's not!

I've never seen someone claim that wanting to simply lose weight and become healthier is inferior or unhealthy. I've been here for many years and have yet to see someone told they should aim to be thin or that their goal isn't good enough.

I do see people warn others that their methods are unhealthy or won't get them the results they are looking for, but never saying someone should lose more weight (unless the person asked for other opinions).

It was in the first response and all the 'high five's responding to that - many people in this thread have said, if you're fat then you're sick and if you're thin then you're healthy. Are you really going to make me (or someone not slacking at work) go back and copy paste them all?

I guess I skipped those. I saw a lot of people saying that it's hard to know until you get close. My bad. I stated multiple times that just aiming to be healthier is great.

Yeah I didn't want to specifically call anyone out but the flip side of that is that comments seem directed at everyone...

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    .... but my main goal is to become a healthier version of what already exists; losing weight is part of that process....

So what success criteria have you identified?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    real-women-dove.jpg

Okay? What was the point of this?

Not everyone's "normal" is size 8. If a person acknowledges that they won't be their best at a size 8 does not mean they are in denial. Rib cages come in different sizes, too.

Thin is a worthy goal. So is settling on a different weight, and they can both be healthy!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Has this thread now gone from "rethink your goals if you want to be thin" to "rethink your goals if you don't want to be thin"? Because it kind of feels like it's going that way.

If that's been said somewhere or even implied, I certainly missed it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Soooo, I am mistaken to take the results of that study? All overweight is bad in your opinion?

The judgement about thin people being obsessed or wrong I could do without. We all have different goals. Working to thin is also a worthy goal.

I am miffed that my goal is considered somehow inferior or unhealthy when it's not!

I've never seen someone claim that wanting to simply lose weight and become healthier is inferior or unhealthy. I've been here for many years and have yet to see someone told they should aim to be thin or that their goal isn't good enough.

I do see people warn others that their methods are unhealthy or won't get them the results they are looking for, but never saying someone should lose more weight (unless the person asked for other opinions).

It was in the first response and all the 'high five's responding to that - many people in this thread have said, if you're fat then you're sick and if you're thin then you're healthy. Are you really going to make me (or someone not slacking at work) go back and copy paste them all?

I guess I skipped those. I saw a lot of people saying that it's hard to know until you get close. My bad. I stated multiple times that just aiming to be healthier is great.

Yeah I didn't want to specifically call anyone out but the flip side of that is that comments seem directed at everyone...

Are you talking about people being in disagreement with the OP's exaggerated opinion about what it takes to be "thin" as well as her trying to tell people to reassess their goals if they want to be "thin"?
  • Daiako
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Has this thread now gone from "rethink your goals if you want to be thin" to "rethink your goals if you don't want to be thin"? Because it kind of feels like it's going that way.

It's getting there. I give it another page or two before we evolve past " why wouldn't you want to be thin?" To "well you're just making excuses so you don't have to put in work" to "whatever, JSF."
  • sofaking6
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Are you talking about people being in disagreement with the OP's exaggerated opinion about what it takes to be "thin" as well as her trying to tell people to reassess their goals if they want to be "thin"?

No
  • brower47
    edited March 2015
    Options
    real-women-dove.jpg

Not everyone's "normal" is size 8. If a person acknowledges that they won't be their best at a size 8 does not mean they are in denial. Rib cages come in different sizes, too.

Thin is a worthy goal. So is settling on a different weight, and they can both be healthy!

No one said 'normal' was a size 8. Someone claimed a size 8 wasn't possible for them. Others expressed skepticism with that statement. No one cared that the goal was a size 12 or said that it was an unhealthy goal. That's all. Any other assumptions based on that exchange are just that, assumptions.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Implied, in @rainbowbow‌ quote
    I'll be honest with you... why do people want to be "thin"? Because you cannot be truly healthy and be fat....You dont have to be "skinny" but our bodies were designed to be lean and strong, period. ... just the fact that our bodies were not designed to hold excess amounts of fat for an extended period of time.

When it could be just as true that especially for women, we are designed to carry a little excess fat for extended periods of time. It's insurance.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I think part of the issue is simply defining things. My definition of thin and fat are far different than another persons. They are also different when I am talking about myself versus another person. I don't think it's okay to suggestion someone is inferior for not wanting to be at an athletic body fat. I don't think it's okay to tell someone that being thin is a bad goal. I don't think it's okay to say a woman with muscles is gross or manly. We all have our preferences, but a common goal should be to improve health and reduce health risks.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    real-women-dove.jpg

No one said 'normal' was a size 8. Someone claimed a size 8 wasn't possible for them. Other expressed skepticism with that statement. No one cared that the goal was a size 12 or said that it was an unhealthy goal. That's all. Any other assumptions based on that exchange are just that, assumptions.

Agreed. If you want to be a size 12, that's cool. But to claim you "can't" be a size 8 is what got a lot of :huh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I think part of the issue is simply defining things. My definition of thin and fat are far different than another persons. They are also different when I am talking about myself versus another person. I don't think it's okay to suggestion someone is inferior for not wanting to be at an athletic body fat. I don't think it's okay to tell someone that being thin is a bad goal. I don't think it's okay to say a woman with muscles is gross or manly. We all have our preferences, but a common goal should be to improve health and reduce health risks.

This!! ^^

I want to be thin and healthy!!!.....and I worked hard for it, almost 3 years to get where I am now!!!
  • brower47
    Options
    Whoops. I missed that it was a UK size 8. I can see different body types not fitting into that size easily.

Apologies. I was wrong.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Just from page 1:

<snip>
    I'll be honest with you... why do people want to be "thin"? Because you cannot be truly healthy and be fat. H.A.E.S. does not exist; it just doesn't.

You dont have to be "skinny" but our bodies were designed to be lean and strong, period. And that isn't something that requires 2-4 hours in the gym.

(repost) This. :)

(repost) yup.

(couple more reposts of same)

<snip>
    But it's also true that in order to be healthy, you need to be not-fat. If you are serious about getting healthy, you are also serious about getting slim.

<snip>
    Make your goal to improve your health for sure, but your best health will come when you are strong and slim.

<snip>
    I believe being overweight will eventually catch up to you and effect your health.
  • Daiako
    edited March 2015
    Options
    real-women-dove.jpg

No one said 'normal' was a size 8. Someone claimed a size 8 wasn't possible for them. Other expressed skepticism with that statement. No one cared that the goal was a size 12 or said that it was an unhealthy goal. That's all. Any other assumptions based on that exchange are just that, assumptions.

Agreed. If you want to be a size 12, that's cool. But to claim you "can't" be a size 8 is what got a lot of :huh:

I'd be hard pressed to fit into a UK 8 as well. I'd have to lose a pretty large amount of butt to make that work. And even then...I'm pretty hippy.
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    cos being fat sucks
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    real-women-dove.jpg

I'd be hard pressed to fit into a UK 8 as well. I'd have to lose a pretty large amount of butt to make that work. And even then...I'm pretty hippy.

Like Brower, I was thinking US sizes. My bad.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Did anyone notice that the "don't think I could be a size 8" post was about a UK size 8, which I think is closer to a US size 4? That's pretty small. Some peoples' bone structure wouldn't allow them to be that size.
This discussion has been closed.