Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    vbaez6 wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    My name is jessica , and I'm addicted to diet pop! I'm trying to give up, it has 0 calories/carbs... So why do I keep hearing it will,prevent weight loss????

One concern about artificial sweeteners is that they affect the body’s ability to gauge how many calories are being consumed. Some studies show that sugar and artificial sweeteners affect the brain in different ways.

The human brain responds to sweetness with signals to eat more. By providing a sweet taste without any calories, however, artificial sweeteners cause us to crave more sweet foods and drinks, which can add up to excess calories.

So in conclusion, don't use artificial sweeteners if you can help it (AKA diet soda).

It only increases the appetite for some - for others it helps adherence to their calorie target. Your body does not determine how many calories you have eaten - what you put in your mouth does.

The studies that are thrown around were done under ad lib eating conditions.

Thanks for undermining my reply but I don't see any thoughts of yours posted on here that reflect any sort of academic work. Just opinions after opinions. Oh and more opinions....

:huh:

Undermining? What?
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    My name is jessica , and I'm addicted to diet pop! I'm trying to give up, it has 0 calories/carbs... So why do I keep hearing it will,prevent weight loss????

One concern about artificial sweeteners is that they affect the body’s ability to gauge how many calories are being consumed. Some studies show that sugar and artificial sweeteners affect the brain in different ways.

The human brain responds to sweetness with signals to eat more. By providing a sweet taste without any calories, however, artificial sweeteners cause us to crave more sweet foods and drinks, which can add up to excess calories.

So in conclusion, don't use artificial sweeteners if you can help it (AKA diet soda).

You're not making any sense. So...if I eat something sweet, my body wants to eat more.....but if i eat something artificially sweet...my body wants to eat more. So what's the difference?

More to the point, who cares what my body wants to eat? My brain decides what goes on my mouth, not my body. And where are even all these people that can't become overcome with hunger after drinking diet coke? It's never had that effect on me. It actually makes me feel full

I've got a theory: people who let their stomachs make the rules and have to eat cake because they drank a diet coke are probably doomed to yo-yo diet forever.
  • WednesdayJanuary07th2015
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There's really no 1 size, drink, artificial sweetener, etc., that fits all. It's sort of like with medication, it works for some, it doesn't work for all or it creates more health issues via side effects for an individual. I notice that for me, if I consume Aspartame and/or Stevia everyday; I feel like I normally do but if/when I cease to consume it, for about 2 days; it's like I go through a withdrawal & have severe headaches for a day or 2, that even taking a couple of Advil; can't cure. Since it causes this effect for me, I figure that it's a poison to me & therefore avoid it, just like peanuts are poisonous for some other people to consume but aren't for me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

OK, I'll play this game... let's say that hypothetically, what you are saying is true (hypothetically because you haven't actually cited a study). I drink diet soda, which is 0 calorie and has artificial sweetener. I then should crave more diet soda, right? So I drink more sweet-tasting, 0 calorie diet soda. Now what? I drink more? Let's say I do, in fact, drink even more diet soda.

So hypothetically, let's say that I just consumed 3 bottles (20 fl. oz.) of diet soda. at 0 calories per 8 fl. ozserving:

3 bottles X 20 fl. oz = 60 fl. oz / 8 = 7.5 servings x 0 calories per serving = 0 total calories

So far I'm at 0 calories, but maybe it won't end there. In fact, maybe I will drink 3 more bottles.... no, cancel that - let's go back to a week ago (2/27) when I drank 2 fillings of a 100 fl. oz. mug of Diet Pepsi.

2 x 100 fl oz = 200 fl oz. / 8 fl oz. = 25 servings x 0 calories per serving = 0 total calories

I know that seems like an insignificant amount of calories, but Fitbit says I walked 12.66 miles (17 hr. day at work, mostly walking around) so I figured that I might have exercised enough to be safe. Maybe... but I know it is hard to work off all zero of those calories.

ETA: This is sarcasm, just in case you were wondering.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I think it is safe to say that it is generally a bad idea to take advice from someone who willingly volunteers (and encourages another person) to not brush their teeth for a lengthy amount of time to compare tooth decay. Then again, I'm kind of OCDish about brushing my teeth after dealing with tons of people who do not.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

OK, I'll play this game... let's say that hypothetically, what you are saying is true (hypothetically because you haven't actually cited a study). I drink diet soda, which is 0 calorie and has artificial sweetener. I then should crave more diet soda, right? So I drink more sweet-tasting, 0 calorie diet soda. Now what? I drink more? Let's say I do, in fact, drink even more diet soda.

So hypothetically, let's say that I just consumed 3 bottles (20 fl. oz.) of diet soda. at 0 calories per 8 fl. ozserving:

3 bottles X 20 fl. oz = 60 fl. oz / 8 = 7.5 servings x 0 calories per serving = 0 total calories

So far I'm at 0 calories, but maybe it won't end there. In fact, maybe I will drink 3 more bottles.... no, cancel that - let's go back to a week ago (2/27) when I drank 2 fillings of a 100 fl. oz. mug of Diet Pepsi.

2 x 100 fl oz = 200 fl oz. / 8 fl oz. = 25 servings x 0 calories per serving = 0 total calories

I know that seems like an insignificant amount of calories, but Fitbit says I walked 12.66 miles (17 hr. day at work, mostly walking around) so I figured that I might have exercised enough to be safe. Maybe... but I know it is hard to work off all zero of those calories.

You're conveniently leaving out the part where you overpower a police officer, take his weapon and use it to rob a 7/11 of all it's Little Debbie snack cakes because you could no longer control the urges of your sugar addiction that were prompted by all those artificial TOXINZ that you consumed
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You're conveniently leaving out the part where you overpower a police officer, take his weapon and use it to rob a 7/11 of all it's Little Debbie snack cakes because you could no longer control the urges of your sugar addiction that were prompted by all those artificial TOXINZ that you consumed

adam-levine.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

0XtnPY0.jpg
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 70lbs and I drink diet pop all the time. I actually find that it curbs my appetite.
  • elphie754
    Options

7/11's still sell little Debbie snack cakes?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • forevertoday
    forevertoday Posts: 101 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Quitting diet soda has stopped 90% of my stomach problems - so yeah, it is probably bad, but it did not stop my weight loss, it actually helped me a lot when I wanted to eat unnecessarily or have something sweet. I use to drink diet sodas daily (for like 10 years), but have recently quit (by accident). I started drinking sparkling water and just don't feel the need for diet soda as often as I use to. Maybe I will have a glass once a week at most, but I don't crave it anymore.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Quitting diet soda has stopped 90% of my stomach problems - so yeah, it is probably bad.

I use to drink diet sodas daily, but have recently quit (by accident). I started drinking sparkling water and just don't feel the need for diet soda as often as I use to. Maybe I will have a glass once a week at most, but I don't crave it anymore.

Because your stomach can't handle soda it must be bad?

Okay, when since I have stopped eating wheat, barley and oats- my anaphylactic reactions stopped, therefore all 3 of those are probably be bad. See how ridiculous it sounds? Just because one person has an issue does not mean all of mankind should avoid that food.

And in case people don't get it- I am totally not saying that people should avoid those foods.
  • forevertoday
    forevertoday Posts: 101 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Quitting diet soda has stopped 90% of my stomach problems - so yeah, it is probably bad.

I use to drink diet sodas daily, but have recently quit (by accident). I started drinking sparkling water and just don't feel the need for diet soda as often as I use to. Maybe I will have a glass once a week at most, but I don't crave it anymore.

Because your stomach can't handle soda it must be bad?

Okay, when since I have stopped eating wheat, barley and oats- my anaphylactic reactions stopped, therefore all 3 of those are probably be bad. See how ridiculous it sounds? Just because one person has an issue does not mean all of mankind should avoid that food.

And in case people don't get it- I am totally not saying that people should avoid those foods.

Wow. I did say probably (and yes, for ME it was bad)
    I don't understand this defensiveness, I am only recalling my own experience and not telling OP to quit. I even said I still drink it.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    svirds wrote: »
    Water is best for hydration. There is no nutritional value in soda at all, but it is loaded with other junk. I personally do have a strong reaction to artificial sweeteners, especially aspartame. That's a person choice based on what you believe or how your body responds. My two cents would be - why put chemicals and crap in your body if you don't need to?

Everything is chemicals.

BUT! Water isn't chemicals! It's two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen and....oh....oooohhh!
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If it's bad for you is debatable. Drinking tap water is certainly better for the environment. And it's not just the aspartame that is causing debate, the phosphoric acid too.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If it's bad for you is debatable. Drinking tap water is certainly better for the environment. And it's not just the aspartame that is causing debate, the phosphoric acid too.

Nope it's not ..cos one side is speculation and bro-science and the other side is science

And science wins
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

What's wrong with phosphoric acid?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    So many 'feels' and derp
    10906205_836821569711973_1524896460693882850_n.jpg?oh=401798e3921e9d7adc431d71ed68a07e&oe=55414DFA
    ca0c16a8696ecd533b0436520f80cf9931a6072380dc56a7ebc8f0635755de86.jpg