So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Trintrin79 wrote: »
    I need help. I was diagnosed with Celia's disease over 8 years who. So I eat extremely clean. Right now I eat around 1000 calories a day. Mostly veggies but some fruit in the morning and mostly chicken. Nothing processed or packaged ever! I work out for 1 1/2 hours in am and walk for 1/2 hour at night 6 days a week. I do a mix of Pilates, weights,yoga, dance. In the last month I have gained 8 lbs which I have not weighed in over two years and now I can't get it off but keep going up! I am very frustrated as my clothes are too tight now and I feel the extra weight.

@Trintrin79 This would get more answers if you posted a thread of your own asking for help. Start by weighing your food if you aren't already and make an appointment to see your doctor to check for other possible issues.
  • luvforever
    luvforever Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    mwebster11 wrote: »
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.
    I agree with you.cardio makes you lose weight,too.
    It's far FAR easier eating 500 calories less than burning 500 calories more.

But being thin =/= being physically fit. I do cardio during the week to increase my physical fitness as well as give me more calories to play with.
  • FelonE1
    FelonE1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Put the work in and stay disciplined and it's easy.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

But being thin =/= being physically fit. I do cardio during the week to increase my physical fitness as well as give me more calories to play with.

Thread is about creating a nice stomach.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »

The post I responded to was about making you lose weight, not being fit.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I had to stop by just to let you know ...... My husband isn't on MFP and while we were at gym today a talk on "good abs" came. So when we came back home I forward this post link to my husband. Apparently he read the post and then continued to read the comments and he said to me "I wish there was a like button. This person (i.e you) is helping so many strangers. She must such a nice person"
  • usmcmp
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    I had to stop by just to let you know ...... My husband isn't on MFP and while we were at gym today a talk on "good abs" came. So when we came back home I forward this post link to my husband. Apparently he read the post and then continued to read the comments and he said to me "I wish there was a like button. This person (i.e you) is helping so many strangers. She must such a nice person"

@runner475 Thank you for taking the time to share that! I know when I started I was very lost and it was a variety of posts or comments here that helped me find a reasonable solution to fat loss. I wrote the original post as an attempt to get people headed in the right direction with overall fat loss. Over time people may need to make adjustments to my "plan" to fit their lifestyle or needs better. I really do hope that it helps others.
  • annabannanaria
    Options
    How do I save this somewhere, or put it where I can re-reference it? Thanks!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    How do I save this somewhere, or put it where I can re-reference it? Thanks!

It is always stickied in the announcements at the top of the General Diet and Weight Loss forum. You can also bookmark it by clicking the star at the top of any page of this post, which will give you notifications when someone posts here.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    What do people have against cardio? They just don't like it?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

@hesn92 To a degree it is that people don't like it.

The real reason I told people that I personally don't do much cardio is to let people know that it isn't necessary for fat loss. There's this huge misconception that you absolutely have to do lots of cardio to lose fat, especially belly fat. It is simply not true. Cardio is of course great for your heart and lungs. You can lose weight and have a nice stomach with zero cardio if you are capable of accurate logging. @LolBroScience is an example of someone who got very very lean with zero cardio.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't really enjoy cardio at all but sitting on my butt all day every day working on a computer is not healthy. I normally just take the dog for a walk in the mornings and that's good enough for me.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I am so confused what is TDEE?
  • usmcmp
    Options

@urbinachick24 It's your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's the amount of calories your body needs in a 24 hour period. It would be your maintenance calories.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

@urbinachick24 It's your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's the amount of calories your body needs in a 24 hour period. It would be your maintenance calories.

Thanks. Funny MFP says to eat 1200 calories to loose and this says 1442. I am very short and starting to have binging issues so I'm trying to figure out a plan and the exact calories I should be consuming.

• usmcmp
    Options

Thanks. Funny MFP says to eat 1200 calories to loose and this says 1442. I am very short and starting to have binging issues so I'm trying to figure out a plan and the exact calories I should be consuming.

You probably told MFP you want to lose 2 pounds per week. You only have 11 pounds to lose, so set it to half a pound a week.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

Personally, I have nothing against cardio for other people. I just really do not like it myself and do not find it necessary for my goals.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Is your TDEE 1442? Or TDEE-20%=1442? I hope it is TDEE-20%...

It is quite common for a smaller sedentary or lightly active woman to get 1200 calories a day on MFP. That's what I get since the very beginning and was informed that I can only lose 0.8 lb/week because they cannot advice any person to eat any less. (I'm sure my age is a factor too)

I believe a TDEE calculator will factor in the exercise you plan to do regularly and average out for your daily intake. But MFP do not factor in your exercise (unless you choose a more active life-style to reflect your exercise level). Instead, MFP will add calories for the day you do your exercise. For us smaller woman, TDEE-20% often also means losing about 0.5 lb per week.

If you find eating 1200 not enough, then, either go with a slower progress or adding more exercise. I am currently doing both to eat more :)
  • tashabelt2
    Options
    I'm trying to loose some body fat and some inches around my stomach and back. For the last 2 weeks I have been wearing a waist trainer and going to the gym 3 times a week. Is it necessary to do cardio to loose the weight quicker?